Player of the year

00steven

> @chigolfer1 said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > > Rory walks home with 3 historically significant trophies: The Players, **The Fed Ex Cup** and the Vardon Trophy.

> > > >

> > > > When and how did the Fed Ex Cup become historically significant?

> > > >

> > >

> > > This is an important debate.

> > >

> > > Supporters of Rory McIlroy will knock the PGA Championship as the least impressive of the 4 majors. They will cite unspectacular winners like Y.E. Yang, Martin Kaymer, Keegan Bradley, Jason Dufner, and Jimmy Walker.

> > >

> > > On the other hand supporters of Brooks Koepka will knock the Fed Ex Cup for not being a "major" and for being won by the likes of Jim Furyk, Brandt Snedeker, Henrik Stenson and Billy Horschel.

> > >

> > > Does either side have a good point?

> > >

> > > I think that for a while both sides could be said to have been right. However, the last 5-6 years have given us a slew of elite names.

> > >

> > > In recent years the PGA Championship has been won by guys like Brooks Koepka (twice), Rory McIlroy (twice), Justin Thomas and Jason Day. Those are all players who've at some point been the #1 player in the world. So we're definitely talking about elite golfers.

> > >

> > > Meanwhile, recent Fed Ex Cups have gone to Rory (twice), Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas and Justin Rose. Again, that's a bunch of guys who can all lay claim to being #1 in the world.

> > >

> > > So clearly both of these titles are important to the game's elites.

> > >

> > > I still think that the Masters and British Opens are #1 for both American and international players, respectively. I think the US Open still has the credibility we associate with a true "major."

> > >

> > > So I still think those 3 tournaments are the big ones. But the lines separating the The Players, The PGA and the Fed Ex Cup are starting to blur.

> > >

> > > For a journeyman who's thinking about money, I suspect the Fed Ex Cup holds some big-time appeal. That could deliver more money than a normal player will make in a lifetime!

> > >

> > > For a guy who's never won a major, I'm sure the PGA Championship means the most. Being able to say you're a "major winner" is undoubtedly a huge thing.

> > >

> > > But at the same time, for a guy like Rory who's already got a few majors including 2 PGA's, I think checking off The Players Championship can be just as fulfilling.

> > >

> > > I'm not saying Rory wouldn't be happy with a PGA but I doubt he'd be willing to trade his only Players for a 3rd Wanamaker.

> > >

> > > So all 3 have their appeal.

> > >

> > > You may not think the Fed Ex Cup is a huge mark for a player, but I just disagree. Given how much is at stake, how hard it is to win and the quality of recent winners, I think it's undoubtedly a huge accomplishment.

> > >

> > >

> > > All that being said, I still think the greatest trophy in all of golf is the Vardon Trophy.

> > >

> > > I think we should always default to the Vardon Trophy winner as the POTY unless we have reason to give it to someone else. Had Koepka won a couple majors, I'd be in his camp. But since he only has one, I have to side with the guy who secured his second Vardon Trophy along with his first Players Championship before topping it off with his second Fed Ex Cup as well.

> > >

> > > I think it's really wonderful that Koepka placed so highly in the majors, but I would feel bad giving POTY to anyone because they got "close."

> > >

> > > Lastly, I should point out that the LPGA has the Annika Major award for this kind of situation. Sometimes the player who played the best in majors needs to be given a specific award despite not being the POTY. The Annika Major award isolates ONLY the majors and can ONLY be won by a player who took home at least one of their 5 majors.

> > >

> > > The PGA ought to have something like that and it would be fitting to give it to Brooks for how well he played. But you can't go giving out POTY because a guy was "close" in majors unless you're literally breaking a tie somewhere.

> >

> > Surprise result. But this tells you either that the Tour players don't like Koepka much and this was partly a popularity contest, or that winning the Players and the Tour Championship is more impressive than winning the PGA Championship, or a combination of both. I think if Rory had been in better contention in the majors even without winning one this wouldn't have been such a surprise.

>

> Agreed, but he wasn't so...

The Players should be roughly equal value as the PGA Championship. And the Tour Championship is a tremendous win. But Brooks was top-4 in all the majors and the Tour Championship. The only one he failed to be in contention at all was the Players.

• Like 1

As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> @Rory4Pres said:

> As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

>

Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

> @LICC said:

> > @Rory4Pres said:

> > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> >

>

> Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

Reasonable people can disagree, but both had "a case" for being named POTY. If there is a legitimate argument to be made for more than one person, and because it is being voted on by people, popularity and likeability will inevitably become part of the equation. Brooks just isn't the most liked guy out there, so it isn't surprising that the pros picked Rory.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

> @Rory4Pres said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> > >

> >

> > Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

>

> You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

Or maybe the players recognize that, whatever you call them, the Player’s is a tougher win, and “we’re” not doing the comparing, they are. There are no criteria for this award, it’s a weighing of accomplishments and perhaps strength of field is as good a factor as any.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

> @vbb said:

> Reasonable people can disagree, but both had "a case" for being named POTY. If there is a legitimate argument to be made for more than one person, and because it is being voted on by people, popularity and likeability will inevitably become part of the equation. Brooks just isn't the most liked guy out there, so it isn't surprising that the pros picked Rory.

I think the decision came down to gf's/wives... Clearly that awkward rejected kiss by Brooks at the PGA championship cost him the POTY award.

> @Rory4Pres said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> > >

> >

> > Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

>

> You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

> @LICC said:

> > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > > > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

> >

> > You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

>

> That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

It's not what the media calls a Major, it is a Major. That's a fact. There is a good answer. Majors have more significance than non-majors. The only thing that's changed is how "important" the PGA is putting winning the tour championship.

> @Rory4Pres said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > > > > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

> > >

> > > You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

> >

> > That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

>

> It's not what the media calls a Major, it is a Major. That's a fact. There is a good answer. Majors have more significance than non-majors. The only thing that's changed is how "important" the PGA is putting winning the tour championship.

A "Major" is just a name given by the media. That's it. The name alone does not give it more significance. There is no good answer as to why the PGA Championship is still called a "Major" or why it should have greater significance than the Players.

> @LICC said:

> > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > > > > > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

> > > >

> > > > You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

> > >

> > > That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

> >

> > It's not what the media calls a Major, it is a Major. That's a fact. There is a good answer. Majors have more significance than non-majors. The only thing that's changed is how "important" the PGA is putting winning the tour championship.

>

> A "Major" is just a name given by the media. That's it. The name alone does not give it more significance. There is no good answer as to why the PGA Championship is still called a "Major" or why it should have greater significance than the Players.

You seem like the type of person who likes to argue with an encyclopedia.

> @LICC said:

> > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > > > > > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

> > > >

> > > > You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

> > >

> > > That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

> >

> > It's not what the media calls a Major, it is a Major. That's a fact. There is a good answer. Majors have more significance than non-majors. The only thing that's changed is how "important" the PGA is putting winning the tour championship.

>

> A "Major" is just a name given by the media. That's it. The name alone does not give it more significance. There is no good answer as to why the PGA Championship is still called a "Major" or why it should have greater significance than the Players.

I dug this up online to help you wrap your head around what a Major is and what it means besides the prize money:

The perks of winning a major championship

Prestige, obviously -- you're in a limited company of players to ever win a major

If you win the Masters, you're in the Masters for life, basically, and you're in the U.S. Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

If you win the U.S. Open, you're exempt in the U.S. Open for 10 years, and you're in the Masters, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years

If you win the PGA Championship, you're in the PGA Championship for life, basically, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship for five years

You get a 5-year exemption on the PGA Tour for winning a major, and you can pretty much set your schedule for two years

You get a spot in the Tournament of Champions

You get 100 Official World Golf Ranking points, which pretty much locks up a spot in the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking for 18 months, no matter what

You get 600 FedEx Cup points

You get big Ryder Cup points if you're an American or European player

> @Rory4Pres said:

> I dug this up online to help you wrap your head around what a Major is and what it means besides the prize money:

> The perks of winning a major championship

> Prestige, obviously -- you're in a limited company of players to ever win a major

> If you win the Masters, you're in the Masters for life, basically, and you're in the U.S. Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> If you win the U.S. Open, you're exempt in the U.S. Open for 10 years, and you're in the Masters, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years

> If you win the PGA Championship, you're in the PGA Championship for life, basically, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship for five years

> You get a 5-year exemption on the PGA Tour for winning a major, and you can pretty much set your schedule for two years

> You get a spot in the Tournament of Champions

> You get 100 Official World Golf Ranking points, which pretty much locks up a spot in the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking for 18 months, no matter what

> You get 600 FedEx Cup points

> You get big Ryder Cup points if you're an American or European player

The Players Championship also comes with lots of exemptions and perks too as noted on this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Players_Championship

I'm glad McIlroy won the PGA Tour Player of the Year Award instead of the guy who seems to spew cr@p out of his mouth every time he opens it. 14 top tens in 19 events, best scoring average of the year, and winning the Players Championship makes a much more impressive year than winning or placing well in some tournament that was give the name "major" by some hack media person who couldn't shoot a decent score in his life (if he was ever a golfer to begin with), or an organization (with the power) that self appointed itself as a "major".

dib15qis5vbx.jpg

I think the trophy in the bottom left is supposed to be the Vardon trophy, but does it look like Byron Nelson to anyone else.

Spoiler

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 9* 

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* Tensei blue

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW Nippon Modus 3 105 irons

Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105 wedges

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6STR putter

Rory had the more consistent and therefore better season. Top 10 finishes in 14 of 19 (74%) with 3 wins (0 majors) vs Brooks 9 of 21(43%) with 3 wins (1 major). He also was ahead of Brooks in several other cats from SG tee to green, SG putting, scrambling etc. Numbers don't lie, Rory is POY and for good reason not sure what all the fuss is about.

TS3 9.5* Ventus  Black 60X
TS3 15*  Ventus Black 80X
716 TMB 3 C-Taper Lite X
718 AP2 4-9 KBS Tour X
SM7 47* 51* 55* 59* KBS Tour X
Milled 8802 w SS Pistol GT 2.0

> @imakaveli said:

> We are putting Rory in the discussion because of the gazillions he won at the Tour Championship. Would they have been 2M$ nobody would have cared. 1, 10, or 100m$ doesn't differ. Rory is richer, but Brooks played better.

Statistics would disagree with you

TS3 9.5* Ventus  Black 60X
TS3 15*  Ventus Black 80X
716 TMB 3 C-Taper Lite X
718 AP2 4-9 KBS Tour X
SM7 47* 51* 55* 59* KBS Tour X
Milled 8802 w SS Pistol GT 2.0

> @Rory4Pres said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > > > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > > > > > > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

> > > > >

> > > > > You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

> > > >

> > > > That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

> > >

> > > It's not what the media calls a Major, it is a Major. That's a fact. There is a good answer. Majors have more significance than non-majors. The only thing that's changed is how "important" the PGA is putting winning the tour championship.

> >

> > A "Major" is just a name given by the media. That's it. The name alone does not give it more significance. There is no good answer as to why the PGA Championship is still called a "Major" or why it should have greater significance than the Players.

>

> I dug this up online to help you wrap your head around what a Major is and what it means besides the prize money:

> Prestige, obviously -- you're in a limited company of players to ever win a major

> If you win the Masters, you're in the Masters for life, basically, and you're in the U.S. Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> If you win the U.S. Open, you're exempt in the U.S. Open for 10 years, and you're in the Masters, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years

> If you win the PGA Championship, you're in the PGA Championship for life, basically, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship for five years

> You get a 5-year exemption on the PGA Tour for winning a major, and you can pretty much set your schedule for two years

> You get 100 Official World Golf Ranking points, which pretty much locks up a spot in the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking for 18 months, no matter what

https://www.theplayers.com/content/the-players/news/2017/05/14/benefits-of-winning-the-players/_jcr_content/articleBodyCenterParsys/textimage/image.img.jpg/1494783348487.jpgy50yo0zdwrhh.png

> @Rory4Pres said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > > > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > > > > > > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

> > > > >

> > > > > You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

> > > >

> > > > That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

> > >

> > > It's not what the media calls a Major, it is a Major. That's a fact. There is a good answer. Majors have more significance than non-majors. The only thing that's changed is how "important" the PGA is putting winning the tour championship.

> >

> > A "Major" is just a name given by the media. That's it. The name alone does not give it more significance. There is no good answer as to why the PGA Championship is still called a "Major" or why it should have greater significance than the Players.

>

Being obnoxious without substance isn’t working well for you here.

the PGA TOUR award is a purely subjective exercise...

..and it shows just how much the players value or respect Brooks..

I liken it to a "all other things being equal..' situation..

unfair to Brooks..but it is what it is..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

> @SavageCy said:

> Rory had the more consistent and therefore better season. Top 10 finishes in 14 of 19 (74%) with 3 wins (0 majors) vs Brooks 9 of 21(43%) with 3 wins (1 major). He also was ahead of Brooks in several other cats from SG tee to green, SG putting, scrambling etc. Numbers don't lie, Rory is POY and for good reason not sure what all the fuss is about.

Brooks was top 5 in four majors, only four other guys have ever done this (and won one). It's ridiculous that someone would be in this company and lose POY because someone else was in a few more top 10s.

> @LICC said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> > Rory would trade his wins for Brooks' wins (because of the Major). Brooks would not trade his wins and major for Rory's wins.

>

> No way Rory would trade the Players and Tour Championship for the PGA

I dunno, he very likely might. Another major propels him up the all time accomplishment list. Another 15 million wont change his lifestyle dramatically. This is a kid who signed a massive deal with Nike that put him up there with legends of the game in other sports.

• Like 1

I have been playing golf for 61 years and have always felt and believed that winning Majors was the epitome of a golfers career..

even today the atmosphere and anticipation for the majors is unlike any of the other tournaments including that of the so-called 5th major..

these wannabe events--ie--the Players. Tour Championship, Fedex Cup etc...--have only MONEY as their main attraction ..

imho they still do not and will never command the respect nor recognition given to the 4 Majors and hope it remains that way..

but that's just me..

• Like 1

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

> @LICC said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> > Rory would trade his wins for Brooks' wins (because of the Major). Brooks would not trade his wins and major for Rory's wins.

>

> No way Rory would trade the Players and Tour Championship for the PGA

It's The Players, RBC Canadian Open, Tour Championship VS. THE CJ CUP @ NINE BRIDGES, PGA Championship, World Golf Championships-FedEx St. Jude Invitational

20 years from now they will both have more money than they need, and the title of PGA Championship is the most important out of that group.