Golf Coaches - How Many Times A Week / Year Round

mbh922

My kid sees his coach twice a month for lesson. He sees him every week to work out.

Coaches are independent contractors for the most part. If you find someone the kid likes and is learning from you need to negotiate. If you pay a guy up front for 3-6 months, you can get them to budge on their price structure.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

We see a coach at the most maybe once a month and sometimes it is longer. He has extremely busy schedule so we are lucky to see him this much. He gives us stuff to work on and we send him videos. The key also is he also instructs me on what to look out for and how to to correct it. Only when we fix it do we get another lesson.

A lot depends on the development of the player and experience of the coach. At the beginning we did it once a week but of course this was when they were younger and wouldn't listen to me so I couldn't correct them when they were doing something wrong. Of course back then we were only paying something like $70 an hour. Now we have a much better coach and pay $250 an hour so that hour is spent differently. Believe it or not my cost for lessons dropped a lot with the more expensive coach because we see him less and we get far better results. So price per hour doesn't really matter.

I think once a month for the above average kids is probably about normal. I think the top kids probably go less often because they don't need as much help with their games. Heavy and I have discussed how different pricing is for lessons around the country. I live near Jacksonville, FL and you can't find a really good teacher for anything less than $100 per hour. The best ones are around $175 per hour at the TPC or Sea Island. Seems crazy that they will charge that much for a junior lesson but they are obviously getting it. Other areas of the country, you can find really good instruction for $75 an hour. All depends on where you live.

> @Golfingdawg19 said:

> I think once a month for the above average kids is probably about normal. I think the top kids probably go less often because they don't need as much help with their games. Heavy and I have discussed how different pricing is for lessons around the country. I live near Jacksonville, FL and you can't find a really good teacher for anything less than $100 per hour. The best ones are around $175 per hour at the TPC or Sea Island. Seems crazy that they will charge that much for a junior lesson but they are obviously getting it. Other areas of the country, you can find really good instruction for $75 an hour. All depends on where you live.

My kid works with two guys that own a business and work out of our club. I like them a lot. They have Flight Scope, K-Vest, and Sam Putt Lab. Can't ask for anything more when it comes to the technical aspect. One of them is TPI certified level 3 as well. They are both golf nerds which works well with the kid. I pay about $50.00 an hour because I negotiated a price for 6 months and paid them up front. He gets a lesson every once to twice a month and sees one of them every week as a personal trainer to work out. Golf always slips into the session. They will also work with him as needed. If either of us call for an issue or to get on the Flight Scope or Sam Putt Lab then he is with them either that day or the next afternoon. I couldn't be more pleased right now.

My son goes on average 3 times a month for short 30 minute lessons and takes a month off twice during the year. He has been with his coach for two years and they just have a zen like relationship and he gives us a great deal on lessons so I am thoroughly pleased. My son sees his time with his coach as a highlight of his week so I think it is a great relationship.

> @Kcct82 said:

> 30 min every week. We have a great relationship with the coach. He charges us about $20+ Per lesson. We’ve been at it for 1.5 years now and I’m starting to feel we don’t need to see him as much because my kid can’t correct his swing faults fast

> enough.

$20? That's almost too cheap. LOL

Is this a buddy deal or the normal rate for all his juniors?

• Like 1

11 year old. Might go see coach every 4-6 weeks. He lives nearby and we'll see him at the course and he'll ask us to play with him and have impromptu lessons that way which is my favorite since he doesn't charge for those. Rack rate is like $250 or $300 per hour which is what he probably charges celebrities but that's not what we pay. Most of the time it's getting back to the basics of PGA ( Posture / Grip / Alignment) that fixes everything.

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

My 8YO boy turns 9 at the end of the year. When he was 6, he was in a golf academy and took a half dozen or so 30 minute private lessons. I think the rate was $45 for the half hour sessions. The academy was around $175/month if I remember correctly.

Have always planned to start him on lessons when he 1.) Got around age 9 and 2.) He seemed to mature enough that lessons seemed worthwhile.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

> @kekoa said:

> I would say on average once a month right now. i don't see a whole lot in going back the next time until my son makes some progress towards what we worked on the prior lesson. Also, if a larger tournament is coming up maybe I'll take him twice leading up to the tournament.

Kekoa unless I miss understanding you This is sign you might need to shop around for a new coach. I haven't seen your kids swing or even know what your working on but I had this same feeling with prior coaches they were good coaches but there was a point the student has learned all they can. The scary part is sometimes they can regress when you see this happen. If he learned his basic swing on his own be extra careful who coaches him.

I have learned the key for juniors is do they have a natural swing or do they need to learn a new swing. It much harder to find a good coach for a natural swing who needs are completely different than one that needs to be taught one. Most coaches rebuild swings for better or worse I learned the hard way before finding this out.

> @leezer99 said:

> 11 year old. Might go see coach every 4-6 weeks. He lives nearby and we'll see him at the course and he'll ask us to play with him and have impromptu lessons that way which is my favorite since he doesn't charge for those. Rack rate is like $250 or $300 per hour which is what he probably charges celebrities but that's not what we pay. Most of the time it's getting back to the basics of PGA ( Posture / Grip / Alignment) that fixes everything.

Good point on the rack rates and the fact you usually get a huge discount. Plus for us the hour is probably more like 2 or 3 hours at a time.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > I would say on average once a month right now. i don't see a whole lot in going back the next time until my son makes some progress towards what we worked on the prior lesson. Also, if a larger tournament is coming up maybe I'll take him twice leading up to the tournament.

>

> Kekoa unless I miss understanding you This is sign you might need to shop around for a new coach. I haven't seen your kids swing or even know what your working on but I had this same feeling with prior coaches they were good coaches but there was a point the student has learned all they can. The scary part is sometimes they can regress when you see this happen. If he learned his basic swing on his own be extra careful who coaches him.

>

> I have learned the key for juniors is do they have a natural swing or do they need to learn a new swing. It much harder to find a good coach for a natural swing who needs are completely different than one that needs to be taught one. Most coaches rebuild swings for better or worse I learned the hard way before finding this out.

His coach is a stud himself with two junior golfers of his own that knows his s#!t. I actually follow him on IG and what's he's teaching is solid. @kekoa probably won't say anything but his son went 5 under and 2 under in a couple of US Kids events recently... he knows what he's doing.

• Like 1

> @hangontight said:

> Searching for right fit now for my son. I have talked to about 4 potential coaches over the last 6 months. Consensus on frequency from them seems to be every 4-6 weeks. Rates range from $50/Hr up to $185/Hr.

I'd pick based on who you and your son get along with best and add in a sprinkling of other student's results.

A lot of great comments back. I'm actually surprised, I would have thought the responses would be 2X a week or so. Do you think these lessons should include video analysis / ball flight information? Just not sure what is standard when you are paying rates from $80 - $250 - Seems like the majority of the range above.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > I would say on average once a month right now. i don't see a whole lot in going back the next time until my son makes some progress towards what we worked on the prior lesson. Also, if a larger tournament is coming up maybe I'll take him twice leading up to the tournament.

>

> Kekoa unless I miss understanding you This is sign you might need to shop around for a new coach. I haven't seen your kids swing or even know what your working on but I had this same feeling with prior coaches they were good coaches but there was a point the student has learned all they can. The scary part is sometimes they can regress when you see this happen. If he learned his basic swing on his own be extra careful who coaches him.

>

> I have learned the key for juniors is do they have a natural swing or do they need to learn a new swing. It much harder to find a good coach for a natural swing who needs are completely different than one that needs to be taught one. Most coaches rebuild swings for better or worse I learned the hard way before finding this out.

I haven't seen many coaches, but thus far I really like my son's current coach. No BS and he teaches for the hr. we pay for and at the same time keeps it fun and engaging. I never thought my kid would take lessons from a guy who is also an accomplished PGA tournament player, but the more I think about it, the better it is. He is also very well connected with OEM's and local college coaches.

He has not really suggested we change anything in my son's swing. Just small tweaks and fine tuning, which will take a while to engrain. I wouldn't call his swing 'natural' either. When someone describes a swing as natural, I automatically assume there is something really odd going on.

> @mbh922 said:

> A lot of great comments back. I'm actually surprised, I would have thought the responses would be 2X a week or so. Do you think these lessons should include video analysis / ball flight information? Just not sure what is standard when you are paying rates from $80 - $250 - Seems like the majority of the range above.

My daughters (10) swing was a little lost this year, so last couple months have been doing 2-3/ month. That’s about the max I would sign my daughter up for. Got a package, was prob 50-60/hr. Not a big name, in fact just our local club head of instruction. But my daughter likes her, so that gets results. If my daughter doesn’t believe in it, she’s not going to do it.

> @GoDeacs said:

> Did you guys struggle finding a teacher who wants to put in time and effort? If so how did you find the right one? My kids is pretty into this at 7 and just can't find a coach who wants to teach at the pace I think she's ready for.

Yes , sort of. That is a tough age if you have a kid who is pretty good and has the capacity to be challenged further and wants it. My son is almost 9 - a good golfer and more mature (as far as attentiveness and teachability) for his age. It’s been hard to find the right fit - someone who doesn’t wanna to take him out swinging a pool noodle for fun and on the other side someone who is primarily focused on landing their students in college. The front runner in our search now has a good track record of developing higher level juniors , which is great , but he was also honest up front that he is busy and only has so much time- that his older kids who have been with him for years are a higher priority. He also wouldn’t commit to taking on my son until after an initial session. I appreciate the candid communication and have learned that just like in any business - the best golf instructors operate in specialized niches- I.e. high level juniors & college kids in this example. They know what they are good at, have created string demand and getting them to clear time for just any kid under 10 will have to take some convincing...which is understandable.

> @GoDeacs said:

> Did you guys struggle finding a teacher who wants to put in time and effort? If so how did you find the right one? My kids is pretty into this at 7 and just can't find a coach who wants to teach at the pace I think she's ready for.

You don't need to do much with a 7 year old in terms of an instructor. Focus on the grip of the club and swinging as hard as she can. Get someone for group lessons or to meet with her every couple of months to talk about basic fundamentals and that is it.