2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

How do you set up and execute a fade with driver

hacker777

I tee the ball lower (top of the ball level with the top of the crown) to promote a slightly steeper AOA, aim my face where I want the ball to start, open my hips and shoulders a tad and swing hard across my body. For me it works probably 80-90% of the time.

One thing I like about a fade is I feel I can go harder at it and not have as dramatic of effect like you do going after a big slinging draw (which for most people ends up as a massive duck hook).

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Face slightly open. (My left thumb is straight down the shaft. On regular shots I see two knuckles. using this grip - just one.) Align body to the left. I also tee it lower so as to use more of a sweeping fairway wood swing. Also use a slightly narrower stance and remind myself to get to my left side. If you hang on your back foot back and release - you get the dreaded double cross - left to left. I call it a b**** hook! (Don't watch Bubba!)

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

My "swing DNA" is in to out so hitting a fade was tough for me, but changed my game when I moved to hitting one. I set up square, open my stance and then move backwards since opening up seems like it moves the ball further back of your stance.

I feel like I"m trying to swing a mile right (left for most of you) and I rehearse in front of the ball prior to starting my PSR where I do small swings over the top of the ball "cutting across" it and trying to get the face exactly where I want the ball to start. I feel like this sets my mind for what result I want when I get over the ball.

In search of solid contact...

I line up left of target line, but look/aim another 20 yards to the left. Then take regular swing with regular grip. For hook/ draw I do opposite, line up right then aim another 20 yards right less or more depending g how much draw/fade. I find this automatically makes arms steeper or more shallow in a consistancy shot/shot way.

I orbit around the ball

Setup to the ball how I normally do (club face square to target) . I rotate around the ball like a clock.

IF I want to hit a Fade, I rotate counter clockwise, around the ball, This now opens my stance the ball is now further up from the starting position and the club face is now closed to target. I then SWING down my feet line. This then gets the ball starting LEFT of the target line (since club face is closed) now I am swinging down my feet path which is out to in from target line and should produce a fade.

If I want to hit a draw, I rotate clockwise, around the ball, the ball now is further back in my stance, the club face is now open to target line, and I swing down my feet line, Which would be inside to out of target path producing a draw.

Thats it ROTATE clock wise around the ball for a draw, and Counter clockwise for a fade....

Simple setup no magic or manipulation.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @Exactice808 said:

> I orbit around the ball

>

> Setup to the ball how I normally do (club face square to target) . I rotate around the ball like a clock.

>

> IF I want to hit a Fade, I rotate counter clockwise, around the ball, This now opens my stance the ball is now further up from the starting position and the club face is now closed to target. I then SWING down my feet line. This then gets the ball starting LEFT of the target line (since club face is closed) now I am swinging down my feet path which is out to in from target line and should produce a fade.

>

> If I want to hit a draw, I rotate clockwise, around the ball, the ball now is further back in my stance, the club face is now open to target line, and I swing down my feet line, Which would be inside to out of target path producing a draw.

>

> Thats it ROTATE clock wise around the ball for a draw, and Counter clockwise for a fade....

>

> Simple setup no magic or manipulation.

So do you move the face in your rotation or just the body?

> @Heckle said:

> > @Exactice808 said:

> > I orbit around the ball

> >

> > Setup to the ball how I normally do (club face square to target) . I rotate around the ball like a clock.

> >

> > IF I want to hit a Fade, I rotate counter clockwise, around the ball, This now opens my stance the ball is now further up from the starting position and the club face is now closed to target. I then SWING down my feet line. This then gets the ball starting LEFT of the target line (since club face is closed) now I am swinging down my feet path which is out to in from target line and should produce a fade.

> >

> > If I want to hit a draw, I rotate clockwise, around the ball, the ball now is further back in my stance, the club face is now open to target line, and I swing down my feet line, Which would be inside to out of target path producing a draw.

> >

> > Thats it ROTATE clock wise around the ball for a draw, and Counter clockwise for a fade....

> >

> > Simple setup no magic or manipulation.

>

> So do you move the face in your rotation or just the body?

face moves PURELY due to rotation of the body, you do not do any manipulation at all.

Again setup square like you normally do, and just orbit around the ball, this moves feet line, moves face angle and then swing down your feet line to adjust swing path in relation to target line. simple setup, no hands or arms swing manipulation. (Disclaimer) its not perfect, but if you want to do a simple experiment rather then trying to change your whole swing and setup, this is what I found to be simple....

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @Heckle said:

> > > @Exactice808 said:

> > > I orbit around the ball

> > >

> > > Setup to the ball how I normally do (club face square to target) . I rotate around the ball like a clock.

> > >

> > > IF I want to hit a Fade, I rotate counter clockwise, around the ball, This now opens my stance the ball is now further up from the starting position and the club face is now closed to target. I then SWING down my feet line. This then gets the ball starting LEFT of the target line (since club face is closed) now I am swinging down my feet path which is out to in from target line and should produce a fade.

> > >

> > > If I want to hit a draw, I rotate clockwise, around the ball, the ball now is further back in my stance, the club face is now open to target line, and I swing down my feet line, Which would be inside to out of target path producing a draw.

> > >

> > > Thats it ROTATE clock wise around the ball for a draw, and Counter clockwise for a fade....

> > >

> > > Simple setup no magic or manipulation.

> >

> > So do you move the face in your rotation or just the body?

>

> face moves PURELY due to rotation of the body, you do not do any manipulation at all.

>

> Again setup square like you normally do, and just orbit around the ball, this moves feet line, moves face angle and then swing down your feet line to adjust swing path in relation to target line. simple setup, not hand arms swing manipulation. (Disclaimer) its not perfect, but if you want to do a simple experiment rather then trying to change your whole swing and setup, this is what I found to be simple....

>

But of your face is pointed, lets say right of target, and your feet and body are also and you swing down your feet line, wouldn't you just go straight right?

> @Heckle said:

> > @Exactice808 said:

> > > @Heckle said:

> > > > @Exactice808 said:

> > > > I orbit around the ball

> > > >

> > > > Setup to the ball how I normally do (club face square to target) . I rotate around the ball like a clock.

> > > >

> > > > IF I want to hit a Fade, I rotate counter clockwise, around the ball, This now opens my stance the ball is now further up from the starting position and the club face is now closed to target. I then SWING down my feet line. This then gets the ball starting LEFT of the target line (since club face is closed) now I am swinging down my feet path which is out to in from target line and should produce a fade.

> > > >

> > > > If I want to hit a draw, I rotate clockwise, around the ball, the ball now is further back in my stance, the club face is now open to target line, and I swing down my feet line, Which would be inside to out of target path producing a draw.

> > > >

> > > > Thats it ROTATE clock wise around the ball for a draw, and Counter clockwise for a fade....

> > > >

> > > > Simple setup no magic or manipulation.

> > >

> > > So do you move the face in your rotation or just the body?

> >

> > face moves PURELY due to rotation of the body, you do not do any manipulation at all.

> >

> > Again setup square like you normally do, and just orbit around the ball, this moves feet line, moves face angle and then swing down your feet line to adjust swing path in relation to target line. simple setup, not hand arms swing manipulation. (Disclaimer) its not perfect, but if you want to do a simple experiment rather then trying to change your whole swing and setup, this is what I found to be simple....

> >

>

> But of your face is pointed, lets say right of target, and your feet and body are also and you swing down your feet line, wouldn't you just go straight right?

Essentially yes if you played the ball in your original starting position as well, you just moved your aiming line,

BUT since you orbit around the ball it also moves original starting ball position, If you orbit CCW, the ball now is further up in your stance, NOT in the original position. same goes CW, it is now further BACK in your stance from original setup.

Try it, take your 7 iron and setup with the ball in the middle of your stance, now orbit, see in relation where the ball is to your stance, it moves as well as your face angle and now your swing path to be able to strike the ball, essentially does all the basics, of what is needed to shape the ball. in a single movement, rotating around the ball instead of doing each movement independently.

1) Draw, ball further back, need to have an inside to out swing, need to have face angle at impact open to target line

2) Fade, ball further forward, need to have outside to in swing, need to have face angle at impact closed to target line.

orbiting does all this without having to do each step manually.

Its basically all what everyone is saying currently, but simplified through orbiting , really nothing different from what everyone else is saying.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @Heckle said:

> > > @Exactice808 said:

> > > > @Heckle said:

> > > > > @Exactice808 said:

> > > > > I orbit around the ball

> > > > >

> > > > > Setup to the ball how I normally do (club face square to target) . I rotate around the ball like a clock.

> > > > >

> > > > > IF I want to hit a Fade, I rotate counter clockwise, around the ball, This now opens my stance the ball is now further up from the starting position and the club face is now closed to target. I then SWING down my feet line. This then gets the ball starting LEFT of the target line (since club face is closed) now I am swinging down my feet path which is out to in from target line and should produce a fade.

> > > > >

> > > > > If I want to hit a draw, I rotate clockwise, around the ball, the ball now is further back in my stance, the club face is now open to target line, and I swing down my feet line, Which would be inside to out of target path producing a draw.

> > > > >

> > > > > Thats it ROTATE clock wise around the ball for a draw, and Counter clockwise for a fade....

> > > > >

> > > > > Simple setup no magic or manipulation.

> > > >

> > > > So do you move the face in your rotation or just the body?

> > >

> > > face moves PURELY due to rotation of the body, you do not do any manipulation at all.

> > >

> > > Again setup square like you normally do, and just orbit around the ball, this moves feet line, moves face angle and then swing down your feet line to adjust swing path in relation to target line. simple setup, not hand arms swing manipulation. (Disclaimer) its not perfect, but if you want to do a simple experiment rather then trying to change your whole swing and setup, this is what I found to be simple....

> > >

> >

> > But of your face is pointed, lets say right of target, and your feet and body are also and you swing down your feet line, wouldn't you just go straight right?

>

> Essentially yes if you played the ball in your original starting position as well, you just moved your aiming line,

>

> BUT since you orbit around the ball it also moves original starting ball position, If you orbit CCW, the ball now is further up in your stance, NOT in the original position. same goes CW, it is now further BACK in your stance from original setup.

>

> Try it, take your 7 iron and setup with the ball in the middle of your stance, now orbit, see in relation where the ball is to your stance, it moves as well as your face angle and now your swing path to be able to strike the ball, essentially does all the basics, of what is needed to shape the ball. in a single movement, rotating around the ball instead of doing each movement independently.

>

> 1) Draw, ball further back, need to have an inside to out swing, need to have face angle at impact open to target line

> 2) Fade, ball further forward, need to have outside to in swing, need to have face angle at impact closed to target line.

>

> orbiting does all this without having to do each step manually.

>

> Its basically all what everyone is saying currently, but simplified through orbiting , really nothing different from what everyone else is saying.

>

>

>

>

Thanks for the explanation. I'm excited to try it later.

All due respect, as a 12, you should be concentrating on getting it in play instead of working the ball on command. If you could work the ball on command, you wouldn't be a 12 to begin with.

*This is coming from a low single digit who does not try to work the ball on command.

As a 12 cap you should know how to curve a ball.... There are ONLY 3 ways to curve a ball (no matter what club). Playin a cut for righty and opposite for a draw:

1. Square club face at address aiming at landing target.... club head path goes from out to in **across the straight path** left of landing target. Work on how much across you like for controlling shot.

2. Open face at address aiming left of target .... club head goes **straight down path** left of target. Work on how much ball moves.

3. Combo of above......Open face AND coming across straight path for the most curve.

Note: There are really only 2 ways and the 3rd way is just a combo of them.

I use method 1 for irons and 3 wood.

Method 3 for power fade with driver. Stock shot.

Method 1 for draw with driver (stops me over cooking the hook).

I think the old school way was more method 2 and is prob the easiest but I find the most control with method 1 with a square club face and adjust path a hair..... I think method 1 teaches you to be better as you gotta have control of your path which is a good thing in the long run... but if your suckin that day and got no feel just go method 3 cause it will move.

Get this down and become a single digit already lol....

Can't figure how to like my own posts

> @larrybud said:

> All due respect, as a 12, you should be concentrating on getting it in play instead of working the ball on command. If you could work the ball on command, you wouldn't be a 12 to begin with.

>

> *This is coming from a low single digit who does not try to work the ball on command.

I disagree with this strongly. Learning to turn the ball reliably off the tee, whether a draw or fade will benefit ant golfer at ant level. As soon as OP can start the ball toward the left side of the fairway and reliably make it fade toward the center his handicap will fall. We all need a go to shot off the tee and a fade is a good one.

Steve

> @juststeve said:

> > @larrybud said:

> > All due respect, as a 12, you should be concentrating on getting it in play instead of working the ball on command. If you could work the ball on command, you wouldn't be a 12 to begin with.

> >

> > *This is coming from a low single digit who does not try to work the ball on command.

>

> I disagree with this strongly. Learning to turn the ball reliably off the tee, whether a draw or fade will benefit ant golfer at ant level. As soon as OP can start the ball toward the left side of the fairway and reliably make it fade toward the center his handicap will fall. We all need a go to shot off the tee and a fade is a good one.

>

> Steve

Actually to edify this on a different tangent, I think MANY golfers should understand the cause and effect of moving the ball period. This will help self evaluate and while not recommend allow the play to do corrections as needed.

Knowing the ball flight laws is a great tool and know the cause and effect can then help edify swing issues due to hooks or slices, they are just over exaggerated draws and fades. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with learning to move the ball at any skill level, Its just that likely the gap in skill level is what makes moving the ball effective or not.

One more side not on moving the ball in general. As a Higher handicapper a little while ago a lower handicapper explained to me that they always intentionally tried to move the ball. I asked why, they said that at least I know where it "should be going" I said elaborate. He said if I tried to hit it straight, but today its going left tomorrow its going right.... its hard to plan the misses. But he said if I know danger is on the left, I intentionally setup for a cut, unless I hit a bad shot/double cross I know ITS going to fade right away from danger...... so I ALWAYS move the ball furthest from danger. while the info is sound advice, it again is dependent on skill gap but makes a lot of sense regardless of hdcp.

/soapbox......

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @hacker777 said:

> I'm a 12 handicap and my local course has some longer holes that call for a fade. I can't find a reliable method to execute it though. Any ideas would be appreciated.

>

A few things

1. I haven’t played too many holes in 40 years that you couldn’t hit a draw or straight ball in the fairway unless you carried it really far, in which case you could launch it over the corner most times.

2. If you are trying to score, the numbers say you’re better off laying back with your number 1 shot and hitting a longer club in than trying to manufacture a shot that you’re not familiar with. Almost no one on the tour works it both ways.

3. If you want to do it for the challenge and for fun, move the ball forward in your stance and make the same swing.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

> @Exactice808 said:

> I orbit around the ball

>

> Setup to the ball how I normally do (club face square to target) . I rotate around the ball like a clock.

>

> IF I want to hit a Fade, I rotate counter clockwise, around the ball, This now opens my stance the ball is now further up from the starting position and the club face is now closed to target. I then SWING down my feet line. This then gets the ball starting LEFT of the target line (since club face is closed) now I am swinging down my feet path which is out to in from target line and should produce a fade.

>

> If I want to hit a draw, I rotate clockwise, around the ball, the ball now is further back in my stance, the club face is now open to target line, and I swing down my feet line, Which would be inside to out of target path producing a draw.

>

> Thats it ROTATE clock wise around the ball for a draw, and Counter clockwise for a fade....

>

> Simple setup no magic or manipulation.

Sounds like a process from Blacklock's Hogan book?

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> > @hacker777 said:

> > I'm a 12 handicap and my local course has some longer holes that call for a fade. I can't find a reliable method to execute it though. Any ideas would be appreciated.

> >

>

> A few things

>

> 1. I haven’t played too many holes in 40 years that you couldn’t hit a draw or straight ball in the fairway unless you carried it really far, in which case you could launch it over the corner most times.

> 2. If you are trying to score, the numbers say you’re better off laying back with your number 1 shot and hitting a longer club in than trying to manufacture a shot that you’re not familiar with. Almost no one on the tour works it both ways.

> 3. If you want to do it for the challenge and for fun, move the ball forward in your stance and make the same swing.

>

>

How much impact does moving it forward have versus some of the other strategies mentioned?

> @"Ping's Duck" said:

> > @Exactice808 said:

> > I orbit around the ball

> >

> > Setup to the ball how I normally do (club face square to target) . I rotate around the ball like a clock.

> >

> > IF I want to hit a Fade, I rotate counter clockwise, around the ball, This now opens my stance the ball is now further up from the starting position and the club face is now closed to target. I then SWING down my feet line. This then gets the ball starting LEFT of the target line (since club face is closed) now I am swinging down my feet path which is out to in from target line and should produce a fade.

> >

> > If I want to hit a draw, I rotate clockwise, around the ball, the ball now is further back in my stance, the club face is now open to target line, and I swing down my feet line, Which would be inside to out of target path producing a draw.

> >

> > Thats it ROTATE clock wise around the ball for a draw, and Counter clockwise for a fade....

> >

> > Simple setup no magic or manipulation.

>

> Sounds like a process from Blacklock's Hogan book?

Dunno, D1 college player taught me this a while back and have been using it ever since... it works.... for what I intend it to do? meh...

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @Heckle said:

> > @MonteScheinblum said:

> > > @hacker777 said:

> > > I'm a 12 handicap and my local course has some longer holes that call for a fade. I can't find a reliable method to execute it though. Any ideas would be appreciated.

> > >

> >

> > A few things

> >

> > 1. I haven’t played too many holes in 40 years that you couldn’t hit a draw or straight ball in the fairway unless you carried it really far, in which case you could launch it over the corner most times.

> > 2. If you are trying to score, the numbers say you’re better off laying back with your number 1 shot and hitting a longer club in than trying to manufacture a shot that you’re not familiar with. Almost no one on the tour works it both ways.

> > 3. If you want to do it for the challenge and for fun, move the ball forward in your stance and make the same swing.

> >

> >

>

> How much impact does moving it forward have versus some of the other strategies mentioned?

Moving it forward, all else being equal, shifts path left.

As a draw player my method to hit a fade is to aim left, take a weak grip, and whale away. I think of it as simply making a bad swing.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?