side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

> @garyt said:

> So **are there any decent component SS putter heads out there?** I'm giving it a try for the rest of the year using a B90 but would like something more mallet like.

Good luck, but I don't think you'll find much...

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

> @garyt said:

> So are there any decent component SS putter heads out there? I'm giving it a try for the rest of the year using a B90 but would like something more mallet like.

I don't think the putter head is specific to sidesaddle.

Any mallet type of head will - as long as it can accomodate a shaft at 80 degrees.

Most traditional "long putter" heads would fill the bill.

> @BigEx44 said:

> > @garyt said:

> > So are there any decent component SS putter heads out there? I'm giving it a try for the rest of the year using a B90 but would like something more mallet like.

> I don't think the putter head is specific to sidesaddle.

> Any mallet type of head will - as long as it can accomodate a shaft at 80 degrees.

> Most traditional "long putter" heads would fill the bill.

>

Right, I get that any long putter head will somewhat work. I'm just having problems finding any out there. Probably since the anchoring ban long putters aren't popular anymore. Just wondering what you guys have used and where you got it. I was also limiting my search to center shafted putters. Saw lots of heel shafted.

Anyway, found an old DTG heel shafted mallet type putter I had lying around and stuck it on a shaft and what a difference from the B90! The Ping with the long face and nothing behind it was terribly unforgiving. The mallet is way better and my success rate has gone way up. I was better with the Ping than conventional and switching to the mallet has taken it up another degree. The heel shaft doesn't seem to be the problem I thought it would be. I'm definitely sticking with SS.

Another thing, what do you do for shafts? Is any long putter shaft OK? I saw one long shaft but it said for 72* lie putters? Do they make them in 80* lie? I don't see how it would matter. Also saw Hireko has an adjustable shaft which would be great for travel. I used to know this stuff as I tried the long shafts years ago and have two at home I've been experimenting with.

> @garyt said:

> Sorry, but one more thing. I'm seeing component putter heads that say they have a 90* lie. So if I put a staright shaft in them they'd be non conforming, correct?

I'm not much help with building a putter through components. I've always had mine built to spec by someone (my gamer is a Bobby Grace F22)

> @garyt said: Just wondering what you guys have used and where you got it.

I'm not a local expert having only tried SS for maybe 22h now, 90% of which is very focused putting on the practice green. But I see nothing wrong w/ the putter I bought at a custom length of 47" off of ebay. While I'm not yipping putts anymore I must say I'm not getting good at this very quickly. In fact, it's really been an abject disappointment so far. I know others have said plan on a year to really get the transition down, then others say they go out and immediately start putting well. I thought I was improving fairly quickly after establishing setup consistency, but results are really beyond disappointing on the course, even playing by myself, taking ample time to try to putt well SS/FO. The number of SHORT (2-3') breaking putts I've missed lately is bizarre. I'm working on keeping the face very stable to r/o this source. I'm playing Monday and will probably go back to left-handed putting which I'm still better at than SS putting so far. I will hang on to the long putter and keep trying but I'm starting now to think I will end up selling it at some point down the road we'll see.

> @ncp10 said:

> > @garyt said: Just wondering what you guys have used and where you got it.

> I'm not a local expert having only tried SS for maybe 22h now, 90% of which is very focused putting on the practice green. But I see nothing wrong w/ the putter I bought at a custom length of 47" off of ebay. While I'm not yipping putts anymore I must say I'm not getting good at this very quickly. In fact, it's really been an abject disappointment so far. I know others have said plan on a year to really get the transition down, then others say they go out and immediately start putting well. I thought I was improving fairly quickly after establishing setup consistency, but results are really beyond disappointing on the course, even playing by myself, taking ample time to try to putt well SS/FO. The number of SHORT (2-3') breaking putts I've missed lately is bizarre. I'm working on keeping the face very stable to r/o this source. I'm playing Monday and will probably go back to left-handed putting which I'm still better at than SS putting so far. I will hang on to the long putter and keep trying but I'm starting now to think I will end up selling it at some point down the road we'll see.

>

>

>

>

>

I'd say give it more time. It's really something completely new when you think about it. It's not like just changing conventional putters. It's likely to take some time. I'm giving it at least till ther end of the year. I have about 7-8 rounds in and I don't practice. I'm better than I was conventionally but still not good. I was a horrible putter conventionally and now I'm just bad, lol.

There is so much to consider, the grip, do you want to stand the putter upto 90* or use as is, what kind of follow through, etc. I had a hit instinct with the old putter and still do with this one but not as bad. I'm making progress but if I had to play in a competition I might go back to conventional. I saw somewhere that someone said a swing change takes in thirds, first you can do it playing by yourself, then with friends, then in a tournament. I find that to be true. I SS putt pretty well by myself but struggle a little with friends and was horrible in the one tourney I tried it in.

• Like 1

> @ncp10 said:

> > @garyt said: Just wondering what you guys have used and where you got it.

> I'm not a local expert having only tried SS for maybe 22h now, 90% of which is very focused putting on the practice green. But I see nothing wrong w/ the putter I bought at a custom length of 47" off of ebay. While I'm not yipping putts anymore I must say I'm not getting good at this very quickly. In fact, it's really been an abject disappointment so far. I know others have said plan on a year to really get the transition down, then others say they go out and immediately start putting well. I thought I was improving fairly quickly after establishing setup consistency, but results are really beyond disappointing on the course, even playing by myself, taking ample time to try to putt well SS/FO. The number of SHORT (2-3') breaking putts I've missed lately is bizarre. I'm working on keeping the face very stable to r/o this source. I'm playing Monday and will probably go back to left-handed putting which I'm still better at than SS putting so far. I will hang on to the long putter and keep trying but I'm starting now to think I will end up selling it at some point down the road we'll see.

>

>

>

>

>

Curious, what is the overall weight of your new SS putter?

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

> @garyt said:

> > @ncp10 said:

> > > @garyt said: Just wondering what you guys have used and where you got it.

> > I'm not a local expert having only tried SS for maybe 22h now, 90% of which is very focused putting on the practice green. But I see nothing wrong w/ the putter I bought at a custom length of 47" off of ebay. While I'm not yipping putts anymore I must say I'm not getting good at this very quickly. In fact, it's really been an abject disappointment so far. I know others have said plan on a year to really get the transition down, then others say they go out and immediately start putting well. I thought I was improving fairly quickly after establishing setup consistency, but results are really beyond disappointing on the course, even playing by myself, taking ample time to try to putt well SS/FO. The number of SHORT (2-3') breaking putts I've missed lately is bizarre. I'm working on keeping the face very stable to r/o this source. I'm playing Monday and will probably go back to left-handed putting which I'm still better at than SS putting so far. I will hang on to the long putter and keep trying but I'm starting now to think I will end up selling it at some point down the road we'll see.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> I'd say give it more time. It's really something completely new when you think about it. It's not like just changing conventional putters. It's likely to take some time. I'm giving it at least till ther end of the year. I have about 7-8 rounds in and I don't practice. I'm better than I was conventionally but still not good. I was a horrible putter conventionally and now I'm just bad, lol.

> There is so much to consider, the grip, do you want to stand the putter upto 90* or use as is, what kind of follow through, etc. I had a hit instinct with the old putter and still do with this one but not as bad. I'm making progress but if I had to play in a competition I might go back to conventional. I saw somewhere that someone said a swing change takes in thirds, first you can do it playing by yourself, then with friends, then in a tournament. I find that to be true. I SS putt pretty well by myself but struggle a little with friends and was horrible in the one tourney I tried it in.

I get being frustrated with no immediate changes. I think I'd probably be one of the lucky ones where the approach immediately fixed my issue (my head would float back looking at the putter to make sure i'm taking it back straight and I'd make 0 good contact) so i personally experienced immediate improvement. So I think a lot of it has to do with WHY you putt poorly, not just a solve all for all issues.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

> @"Joe Duffer" said:

> Curious, what is the overall weight of your new SS putter?

The head is 416 grams, face-balanced w/ a urethane insert, the loft is 3 degrees, the shaft is steel, the grip is split, and the total length is 47". The ball ROLL is very good I feel. From what I read it's in the ballpark for weight though some seem to prefer lighter heads. At 6'4" tall I like the ergonomics with it and of course the lever is long for the weight on the end of it. I can see a trade-off with lighter--it will also move off line easier it would seem than something in this weight area. I initially had trouble w/ distance control but that is coming quite well now compared to the first 12h or so. I putt SIDE ON for putts over 10-15' or so and do pretty good now w/ lagging, as good or better than left-handed w/ a conventional SO putter. It's the short putts now, on the course, that seem to be pathetically lacking. After all of the practice on the practice green I really felt like I was getting it. For 8 foot straight putts I average 60% which seems great. Then to go out on the course and miss several slightly breaking 2.5-4' putt to the tune of 70% of the time is, well, rather disheartening!

I'll keep it as I mentioned and continue in the hopes that I mainly need more time, more refinement of technique, and more playing hours. It doesn't help that I'm now playing on much more difficult sloped greens than I ever have.

> @garyt said: I SS putt pretty well by myself but struggle a little with friends and was horrible in the one tourney I tried it in.

I think it's probably especially psychologically difficult when you do poorly with this style of putting, publicly, as it were. After all, you're doing something completely at odds w/ 99.999% of the rest of the golfing public, and what, you aren't doing at least fair with it and you're still doing it? Obviously this thought has crossed my mind. I don't feel particularly goofy doing it at all now, even playing with friends. But doing so poorly with shorter putts with it--this I guess I did not expect, especially after putting pretty well w/ 8' putts practicing, to do that poorly on the course. But really, I'm not sure of the source of it. The general trend on short breaking putts is I'm underplaying the break--much more than I ever had putting SO. Perhaps I'm not really lining up the putt w/ the vaunted binocular vision. I feel like I can see the line really well right-handed, SO putting. Problem is I can't put w/o bad yips right-handed. After developing severe, show-stopping yips some 12y ago or so I shot my best rounds ever putting left-handed after a year or two of committing to left handed. Only one 18h round under par, but several 9h rounds 1-4 under par. The most promise for me for FO comes from not yipping the stroke, even putting SO w/ the long putter. So yes, I'll stay with it for another 6 months or so unless I fail to improve at which point back to ebay she goes.

> @ncp10 said:

> > @"Joe Duffer" said:

> > Curious, what is the overall weight of your new SS putter?

>

> The head is 416 grams, face-balanced w/ a urethane insert, the loft is 3 degrees, the shaft is steel, the grip is split, and the total length is 47". The ball ROLL is very good I feel. From what I read it's in the ballpark for weight though some seem to prefer lighter heads. At 6'4" tall I like the ergonomics with it and of course the lever is long for the weight on the end of it. I can see a trade-off with lighter--it will also move off line easier it would seem than something in this weight area. I initially had trouble w/ distance control but that is coming quite well now compared to the first 12h or so. I putt SIDE ON for putts over 10-15' or so and do pretty good now w/ lagging, as good or better than left-handed w/ a conventional SO putter. It's the short putts now, on the course, that seem to be pathetically lacking. After all of the practice on the practice green I really felt like I was getting it. For 8 foot straight putts I average 60% which seems great. Then to go out on the course and miss several slightly breaking 2.5-4' putt to the tune of 70% of the time is, well, rather disheartening!

>

> I'll keep it as I mentioned and continue in the hopes that I mainly need more time, more refinement of technique, and more playing hours. It doesn't help that I'm now playing on much more difficult sloped greens than I ever have.

>

>

Overall (total) weight?

> @ncp10 said:

> .....The general trend on short breaking putts is I'm underplaying the break--much more than I ever had putting SO. Perhaps I'm not really lining up the putt w/ the vaunted binocular vision.....The most promise for me for FO comes from not yipping the stroke, even putting SO w/ the long putter........

>

So let's see...

- you mentioned in another post you get a better roll on the ball with SS

- you mentioned that you lag better with SS

- you mentioned in this post you're yip problem is better with SS

- the only problem has been underplaying break? (which has nothing to do with the quality of the putting stroke...it's just getting the line wrong....)

I would think you'd be VERY happy with your progress!

• Like 1

> @BigEx44 said:

> I would think you'd be VERY happy with your progress!

We each have our expectations. You're seeing these things as evidence of progress, whereas for me the NOT VERY HAPPY comes from the fact after way more practice than I ever did converting to left-handed SO putting I miss way more short putts, and near as I can tell making short putts matters the most! And moreover, right or wrong my expectation was that short putts were really the area of greatest improvement offered w/ FO putting. But as I say, playing a role in this may well have to do with having less experience w/ breaking putts where I'm playing now, kinda sorta. My expectations were clearly set when I was making 60% of 8' STRAIGHT putts on the practice green, and that went down to near 0% on the course. That's a rather big disappointment!

As I say, I'll continue with it and see how it goes over another 6 months or so. It really should improve.

> @ncp10 said:

> > @BigEx44 said:

> > I would think you'd be VERY happy with your progress!

> We each have our expectations. You're seeing these things as evidence of progress, whereas for me the NOT VERY HAPPY comes from the fact after way more practice than I ever did converting to left-handed SO putting I miss way more short putts, and near as I can tell making short putts matters the most! And moreover, right or wrong my expectation was that short putts were really the area of greatest improvement offered w/ FO putting. But as I say, playing a role in this may well have to do with having less experience w/ breaking putts where I'm playing now, kinda sorta. My expectations were clearly set when I was making 60% of 8' STRAIGHT putts on the practice green, and that went down to near 0% on the course. That's a rather big disappointment!

> As I say, I'll continue with it and see how it goes over another 6 months or so. It really should improve.

>

It seems to take some time getting people used to trusting the line while looking FO. I am guessing it is a bit of mental interference with that. Best of luck.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

> @Rohlio said:

> It seems to take some time getting people used to trusting the line while looking FO. I am guessing it is a bit of mental interference with that. Best of luck.

Thank you kindly for the well wishes. As an inveterate yipper mental interference is something I can do pretty well! It doesn't feel that way to me it but I don't really know. With SO putting I always pick a line 2-3' ahead of the ball and I've not done that w/ FO. I've primarily just stood behind ball setting the club down and lining up directly attempting to trust that binocular vision, then strive to maintain the club face angle when getting into position to make the putt. at this point I feel way more confident lining up a right handed SO putt than I do w/ standing behind the ball. I am very right-eye dominant and I can can always see the line and insure my putter face is perp to that. So I have low confidence on getting the line set w/ FO putting compared to that, which seems weird because after all I am standing directly behind the ball looking down the line and it seems like it ought to be superior. It would be great to have a critic observe to let me know what I'm doing.

> @ncp10 said:

> > @Rohlio said:

> > It seems to take some time getting people used to trusting the line while looking FO. I am guessing it is a bit of mental interference with that. Best of luck.

>

> Thank you kindly for the well wishes. As an inveterate yipper mental interference is something I can do pretty well! It doesn't feel that way to me it but I don't really know. With SO putting I always pick a line 2-3' ahead of the ball and I've not done that w/ FO. I've primarily just stood behind ball setting the club down and lining up directly attempting to trust that binocular vision, then strive to maintain the club face angle when getting into position to make the putt. at this point I feel way more confident lining up a right handed SO putt than I do w/ standing behind the ball. I am very right-eye dominant and I can can always see the line and insure my putter face is perp to that. So I have low confidence on getting the line set w/ FO putting compared to that, which seems weird because after all I am standing directly behind the ball looking down the line and it seems like it ought to be superior. It would be great to have a critic observe to let me know what I'm doing.

>

I will say one absolute for me side saddling putting is getting my line on my ball lined up directly on the line i want to hit it on. I do struggle just stepping up there and feeling the line with the putter. But I am amendment that the line is on my intended line before I address the ball. I probably spend 2-3x the time lining up my ball vs actually striking the putt. Once the line is on point, I just get up there and hit it.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

> @J-Tizzle said:

> I will say one absolute for me side saddling putting is getting my line on my ball lined up directly on the line i want to hit it on. I do struggle just stepping up there and feeling the line with the putter. But I am amendment that the line is on my intended line before I address the ball. I probably spend 2-3x the time lining up my ball vs actually striking the putt. Once the line is on point, I just get up there and hit it.

I tried this myself just a couple times the other day since I had abandoned lining up the ball on my intended line and I made one 8' putt and lipped the other. I'm playing tomorrow so I think i will go ahead and commit to doing that it hopefully will help especially on breaking putts. I seem to be having a better time w/ the back of my right hand facing the intended line but it's quite the awkward looking method. But I think it may have merit over the pencil grip for me.

I am motivated to putt sidesaddle because I’m legally blind in my left eye. I have essentially zero peripheral vision to my left when I line up in conventional right hand stance and minimal depth perception.

I bought a second hand GP putter and have been using it with decent success for the past 3 weeks putting side-saddle. It has been quite encouraging.

I’ve read this entire thread and have found it to be helpful. Since the consensus seems to be the Bobby Grace F22 is an excellent choice, I’m about ready to pull the trigger on a purchase. The GP is a great way to try this method but it has a very small sweet spot.

I have not constructed a putting track like described with the JuanPutt. Can someone post a picture or description of a homemade one?

I’ve enjoyed all the shared posts.

Thanks, Tim

> @AKGator said:

> Thanks, I can build something like that with 2x4’s.

IMO, this is an absolutely CRITICAL piece of the process of converting to face on putting, for three reasons. First, as Juan Elizondo points out in the video that also comes with his putter, the putting trac really accelerates the learning curve of developing a simple, straight back/straight thru stroke. Second, the design of the trac automatically keeps your backswing relatively short, which in turn helps you learn to release the putter down the line; no matter what method of putting you are using, it is a nearly universal flaw to have a long backstroke and decel thru the ball, which makes it VERY difficult to start the putt on the correct line. And third, the putting trac is critical to mental part of the conversion, which is to know to a certainty that your stroke is reliable. Putting in what Elizondo calls a "pristine environment" is the best way to make the conversion go faster.

Somewhere along the way in the conversion process, there is a moment where you realize that your stroke is completely reliable; that you WILL hit the sweet spot and that you WILL get the putt started on the line that you have picked. It takes awhile because you have a LOT of scar tissue from conventional putting where it is MUCH harder to do those two things, but it's a eureka moment for sure. But also, it's critical to remember that ANY putt can be missed from any distance with any putting method, and to NOT view every missed putt as a referendum on the method. This is MUCH harder, IMO, when you are the only guy in your group putting this way because you feel like there is extra scrutiny, which is probably true.

For ME, when I start missing unusually large numbers of shorter putts, it's ALWAYS the same thing; longer backswing with a "pop stroke" instead of releasing the club down the line. Which has nothing to do whatsoever with the method I'm using, and everything to do with my own brain deficiencies. I putt better when I trust the stroke and the line I've picked and then just focus on what Geoff Mangum calls "perfect pace".

• Like 2

> @AKGator said:

> I built one with 2x2’s and furring strips. It seems to do the job.

> My back gets tired after 30 putts. I’m not accustomed to this position. I may need to work on finding an effective position with better posture.

>

Finding the right "setup" or position is always the biggest challenge with SS putting IMO. Took me a while to settle on a 46' putter, the position of my feet (parallel or one foot ahead), the grip (pencil), and even how far down the shaft I placed my right hand. But the reward is, once you get it - you never have to mess with it again. And then you don't have to worry about any mechanics because nothing is moving with SS putting other than your right arm (you don't need to worry about your head moving, your shoulders rocking, swaying, or your left wrist breaking down). It's why I love SS putting......

> @BigEx44 said:

> > @AKGator said:

> > I built one with 2x2’s and furring strips. It seems to do the job.

> > My back gets tired after 30 putts. I’m not accustomed to this position. I may need to work on finding an effective position with better posture.

> >

> Finding the right "setup" or position is always the biggest challenge with SS putting IMO. Took me a while to settle on a 46' putter, the position of my feet (parallel or one foot ahead), the grip (pencil), and even how far down the shaft I placed my right hand. But the reward is, once you get it - you never have to mess with it again. And then you don't have to worry about any mechanics because nothing is moving with SS putting other than your right arm (you don't need to worry about your head moving, your shoulders rocking, swaying, or your left wrist breaking down). It's why I love SS putting......

>

I agree completely with this...Once I found mine I have never tinkered with it again.

I am only 5'10" but I use a 48" putter. I can tell you my back could never get tired of this setup, it is kind of a pain in the ass to get it in a travel bag though :)

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

> @AKGator said:

> Using the putter track has been beneficial. After putting through the track for awhile , I was able to hit 30 consecutive 5 footers, most of them dead center. This technique is going to work for me.

> I spoke with Bobby Grace yesterday. I have a F22 on the way to Alaska!

I guess the idea on the track is to have just what, 1/8-1/4" of clearance on both sides of the putter? When you practiced with it did you stop your stroke as soon as you made contact with it, or just keep practicing and over time you were able to not graze the track sides? When I first bought the FO putter I put 2 2x4's together on carpet and found that I would graze the sides on most strokes a tiny bit but didn't seem to improve over time with that. I'm not making 30 of 30 5' putts especially if there is ANY break in the putt, so maybe better work with a track will help.