2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

3+ Wedge Users - The more, the merrier or certain wedge for certain shots?

BetterAtBingo

I find that the more wedge choices I have for shots around the green, the more my brain goes haywire. A penny for your thoughts on why more is better for you?

Tour  M2 RipTide MX 70 | Mavrik 4 Wood Rogue 70 | Callaway '16 Apex RipTide MX 105  | Callaway '16 Apex HC Hzrdus 105 | Titleist 718 AP1 SF 95 | TM MG3 53° / MG3 TW 57° Heppler TYNE 3

i carry a 47* PW (it's apex MB, or a 'set' PW); 52/56/60* MD4's.

when playing, i actually use them for specific purposes mostly:

- PW and 52 are predominantly for full shots or longer pitch shots off fairways

- 56 is used for inside 100y, pitches, chips, around the green and bunker shots

- 60 is used for around the green in higher grass, or near-side bunker shots (where you have to get it up quickly) or when a lob shot is needed with some higher spin.

hope this helps. i carried a 3 wedge system (PW, 52, 59) for the entire year, and always felt like i needed something between the 52 and 59; specifically with spinny pitches/chips and bunker shots

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I think you're right that having too many clubs around the green can make it hard to be familiar with your clubs and can lead to a worse short game. I think a lot of players who play recreationally would benefit by trying to really learn 1-2 clubs around the green. That being said if you don't carry enough wedges it could lead to gaps in your yardages on full swing shots. I would let you yardage gaps on full swing shots guide you on which wedges to use/how many.

I personally carry 4 wedges (46 set PW, 51, 56, and 60*) That gives me good gapping on full shots. When I'm around the greens though I almost exclusively chip using either the 51 or the 60. Either I want a chip to run out a little or I want it to check as quickly as possible. There isn't enough of a difference between the 56 and my other wedges to where I have to use it.

• Like 1

> @gopherlover said:

> I think you're right that having too many clubs around the green can make it hard to be familiar with your clubs and can lead to a worse short game. I think a lot of players who play recreationally would benefit by trying to really learn 1-2 clubs around the green. That being said if you don't carry enough wedges it could lead to gaps in your yardages on full swing shots. I would let you yardage gaps on full swing shots guide you on which wedges to use/how many.

> I personally carry 4 wedges (46 set PW, 51, 56, and 60*) That gives me good gapping on full shots. When I'm around the greens though I almost exclusively chip using either the 51 or the 60. Either I want a chip to run out a little or I want it to check as quickly as possible. There isn't enough of a difference between the 56 and my other wedges to where I have to use it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is just because you need 4 wedges for good gapping, that doesn't mean you have to chip with all of them.

> @gopherlover said:

> > @gopherlover said:

> > I think you're right that having too many clubs around the green can make it hard to be familiar with your clubs and can lead to a worse short game. I think a lot of players who play recreationally would benefit by trying to really learn 1-2 clubs around the green. That being said if you don't carry enough wedges it could lead to gaps in your yardages on full swing shots. I would let you yardage gaps on full swing shots guide you on which wedges to use/how many.

> > I personally carry 4 wedges (46 set PW, 51, 56, and 60*) That gives me good gapping on full shots. When I'm around the greens though I almost exclusively chip using either the 51 or the 60. Either I want a chip to run out a little or I want it to check as quickly as possible. There isn't enough of a difference between the 56 and my other wedges to where I have to use it.

>

> I guess what I'm trying to say is just because you need 4 wedges for good gapping, that doesn't mean you have to chip with all of them.

correct

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I am similar to gioguy.

I have 44, 50, 56 ,60.

The 44 and 50 are full shots. The 56 and 60 are for close range. For what ever reason in my area elevated greens are the norm so unless you miss short in the front, playing the low ball isn't the best decision. It's not always from the front either. So since I started playing 30 years ago and have lived in the same area, the aerial assault has always been my go to game plan near the greens. So for me, it causes no confusion, it is lie and length dependent. Anything within 10 yards of the green is my 60 and adjust from there.

I am also pretty similar to what has been said. I go PW, 52*, 56*, and 60*. The 52* is only used under very certain circumstances around the green (such as miss in front of the green and have a long distance to the flag that a bit of roll would be nice) otherwise it is a full/mostly full swing club. So i really only have two options 95%+ of the time around the greens, 56* or 60*.

Titleist TS3 8.5* Diamana D+ 70X Titleist TS2 15* Diamana D+ 80X Titleist 915 Hd 20.5* Diamana D+ 100X Titleist T100 4-PW X100 Titleist Vokey SM7 50.12F X100 Titleist Vokey SM7 54.14F X100 Titleist Vokey SM7 58.08M S400 TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

> I am also pretty similar to what has been said. I go PW, 52*, 56*, and 60*. The 52* is only used under very certain circumstances around the green (such as miss in front of the green and have a long distance to the flag that a bit of roll would be nice) otherwise it is a full/mostly full swing club. So i really only have two options 95%+ of the time around the greens, 56* or 60*.

Should have added that my primary "go to" club around the greens is the 56*. 60* is mostly just used for short side shots or wherever I need to elevate and stop, and ~95% of my greenside bunker shots.

Titleist TS3 8.5* Diamana D+ 70X Titleist TS2 15* Diamana D+ 80X Titleist 915 Hd 20.5* Diamana D+ 100X Titleist T100 4-PW X100 Titleist Vokey SM7 50.12F X100 Titleist Vokey SM7 54.14F X100 Titleist Vokey SM7 58.08M S400 TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

My four Vokey wedges are all pretty similar shapes. They all have "full" grinds except the 60 which is a "D" grind that's still got plenty of bounce.

On full swings, I can make the same swing with the 46 and the 54 and it will go either 105 yards or 85 yards depending on which club. It's nice to have five "stock" distances (for me they're about 105, 95, 85 and 70 yards) where I don't have to do anything special with my swing.

Around the green, same thing. Let's say I hit a shot out of short greenside rough with the 54 that comes out about knee high, flies 15 yards lands on the green and then rolls out 20 feet. I can hit exactly the same shot with my 50 or 46 except it will come out a bit lower, fly a bit farther and roll out more. Or I can do the same with the 60 and it will come out waist high, only fly 8-9 yards and will stop quickly.

I don't experience any paralysis from having options. Whichever of those shots looks like it would be a good idea, I hit. It will most often be with a certain club in the most common situations (lots of very short chips with the 50, plenty of lobs over bunkers with the 60) but it's nice to be able to play a slight variation on one of those common shots by going one wedge weaker or stronger.

Same in bunkers. Most times it's just pull out the 60 and swing however hard it looks like I need to swing to fly the ball the right distance. But if that would mean a really huge swing (like on a 30-yard bunker shot) I just do the same swing with the 54 instead.

I think time spent at a range or short game area will be your friend with more wedges. I use a 48, 52, 56, 60 setup myself. The 48 and 52 are primarily full shot clubs, with the 52 being used for long bump and runs. The 56 is a full shot club for around 100-115 yards, and is also the only club I use out of the sand, give or take a crazy lie or big lip. The 60 I use for chip shots around the green, and then pitch shots around 60 yards and in that I don't want to spin back or roll out too much. I can also use the full shot wedges for most yardages under 100, which I only figured out by hours at a range with different short game targets. I've considered going to 3 wedges but honestly I don't need another club at the top of the bag and I find the versatility in the short game is more valuable to me.

I don't think that gapping at the bottom of the bag really means much as that is more for full swings. Shots under 100y usually aren't 'stock yardage' full swings (obviously depends on individual yardages) and are likely going to be club manipulated swings (ball position, choke down, 3/4-1/2, flighted).

I roll with a 3 wedge set up unless I have my i20's in the bag (I just like the UW enough to carry it) as most of these sets have 47-48 degree PW's, so going 54/58 or 53/58 isn't much of an issue. Most green side play is done with either my 53/54 as I prefer to get the ball rolling quicker and just read it all like a put. Bunker play is with either club as situation dictates.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

Lob wedge - bunker shots, lob shots and short fiddly ones and high pitch shots.

Sand wedge - general chipping & pitching and longer bunker shots.

Gap wedge - Pitch and run types, normally to try and get the ball releasing a bit.

Pitching wedge - same as gap wedge, just longer/more up hill types of shot.

I use the sand wedge the most and build the rest around that to make certain shots easier.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

> Lob wedge - bunker shots, lob shots and short fiddly ones and high pitch shots.

>

> Sand wedge - general chipping & pitching and longer bunker shots.

>

> Gap wedge - Pitch and run types, normally to try and get the ball releasing a bit.

>

> Pitching wedge - same as gap wedge, just longer/more up hill types of shot.

>

> I use the sand wedge the most and build the rest around that to make certain shots easier.

>

This is pretty much exactly the same as I do for each of the listed clubs. I dont use a pw for any chip shots currently but will be practicing to add that shot because sometimes the gap wedge grabs a little more than id like on longer chips.

46 Set PW 50F/54S/60M Vokey wedges.

I do most of my chipping with the 50 or 60 depending on how much green I have to work with. I will chip with the PW too, I seems to preform better off tight lies.

The 54 is for bunkers unless I don't have a lot of green, then the 60. It also gets a bulk of the 30-100yrd work. I am going to start trying to get a feel for it chipping a bit more but I don't want to 'learn' feel another club. (8,PW, 50,60 are my go to right now)

I tried going 46/52/58 and I found I just didn't have enough options from 50-110yrds trajectory wise. Especially around 100/110 yrds. You can only knockdown a PW so much. Add in some wind and the extra options are worth the Gap at the top of the bag imho.

> @scottb15 said:

> 50 for full shot

> 54 for around the green and anything within 105

> 60 for bunkers or need to stop quick shots

>

> **You guys on here overthink stuff like this like crazy. Hit the **** shots**.

Having those options makes it easy to not think. Appreciate this kinda insight tho.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> i carry a 47* PW (it's apex MB, or a 'set' PW); 52/56/60* MD4's.

>

> when playing, i actually use them for specific purposes mostly:

> - PW and 52 are predominantly for full shots or longer pitch shots off fairways

> - 56 is used for inside 100y, pitches, chips, around the green and bunker shots

> - 60 is used for around the green in higher grass, or near-side bunker shots (where you have to get it up quickly) or when a lob shot is needed with some higher spin.

>

> hope this helps. i carried a 3 wedge system (PW, 52, 59) for the entire year, and always felt like i needed something between the 52 and 59; specifically with spinny pitches/chips and bunker shots

It’s funny,I have my Apex MB set to 49*, 55* SW and 62* LW. The SW is my go to whenever possible.

I think you need to figure out what you're most comfortable with out of the sand. For me, it's my 60* then my 56*. Unless it's a really long bunker shot, I don't use the 52*. And I would say about 80-90% of the time I'm using my 60* out of the bunker.

As far as chipping goes, I like to use the Rule of 12 (

). So a lot of the time I'm not using a 52, 56 or 60*.

But I mostly carry 3 wedges now because my home course requires it on approach shots more than it does on long approach shots. For that, I'm using my 52* about 60% of the time, my 56* about 30% of the time and my 60* 10% of the time.

I know a lot of people use the 'clock method' to determine carry distance. I just figured out my carry distance on a 100% full swing (118, 97, 75) and then started to take 50% swings with the 52* and measured the carry distance. Then I did the same with a 75% swing (I didn't care about how far I swung the club, I cared about the 'effort').

With the 56*, I just measured the carry distance on a 75% swing.

Essentially, using 56* from say 85 yards out (90% effort for me) would be used when I need to hit the ball higher so it will land softer. Anything else I would use the 52* (about 75% effort).

I think a lot of it is just playing around with the wedges more and determining which wedges you are *least* likely to use from the bunker (for me the 52*) and the least likely to be used on a short approach shot (for me, the 60*). After that, you'll get a feel for how they play and how the ball reacts and then understand what wedge to choose for each shot.

RH

For a lot of people playing with modern lofts, the PW (~45 degrees) and GW (~50 degrees) are going to be primarily full-swing clubs. For partial swings and pitches from the fairway, I could easily play with just one club. However, around the green I think there is value in having 2 different bounce / sole options. I'd say this is just as important as the difference in loft between these two clubs.

• Like 1

My game dictates the wedges I carry.

1) The average courses I play, from the white 6000y ish,

2) Meaning most Par4's on average are about 375 on the card, I hit my driver about 250 average leaving 125 yard shot +/- 25y on luck and roll, I hit my PW about 135 so anything less requires more wedges. meaning most Par4's I hit about PW-SW,

3) Par 5 are in the 450 range leaving a reachable in 2 second shot.... YET, they are long 190+ so if I miss the green I still have a short chip around a guarded green that requires loft or a sand shot.

4) of course par 3 about 150y average, if I miss again green side touch shots.

Basically for my game and where I stand...... the shots left for me are Wedge shots. Now if I say I played 7000y or I lost significant distance off the tee I may need to replace some intermediate wedges for some hybrids or more woods but currently not the case. Again due to the approach shot its either on the green or just off so needed a variety of lofts and bounces to negotiate certain green-side conditions, to include sand.

So currently

46* PW (Amp cell pro) Typical 130y shot

50*/8* bounce AW Vokey SM5 - 115y full - Most times used for the full shot, but also long bump and runs off the green

56*/11* bounce SW Vokey SM7 - 100y full - Most full 100y shots, but fluffy sand more bounce, and full rough

60*/8*bounce LW Vokey SM5 - 85y full - hardly ever any full shots, mostly all touch shots around the green....tight lies, no sand, traps etc....my most versatile club.

My $.02

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

46, 50 (Ping i210 for both) 54ss and 60ts Ping Glides 2.0.

The 46 and 50 are full swing only. I am old enough to remember when a PW was closer to 50*. For me if it’s only going to be full swing club I want it to match my irons.

54* is 80-100 yards in full swings and low pitches or bump and run shots.

58* is under 80 yards and higher pitches, chips and bunkers shots.

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

I play a 47 pw (set 718mb), and then 50, 54, and 60. The PW and 50 are exclusively full swing clubs, and the 50 was picked because it gives me a full swing yardage that I had a hard time choking my pw down to. The 54 is my do-it-all wedge for everything 125 and in, and is my usual club out of the sand. The 60 is for a few select shots: 30-50 yard check, and the occasional flop over trouble.

Honestly, I could be totally comfortable with just my 54 in the bag. It's my security blanket if I'm ever a little gripped over a particular shot.

For a long time I played the iron set 46, and Cle CG14 in 50, 54 and 58.

Two years ago, I switched to 48, 54 and 60 (see below). With the old mix of four wedges, in a given round I would use either the 46 or 50 for pitch-ish shots - no particular reason for choice... and, I had several yardage overlaps in my modified Pelz-style wedge matrix. Drop a wedge to simplify.

And, the three fit nicely at short end of my new irons.

Of the three current wedges, I got one from Calla rep at discount, a second as a door prize, and the 60* woefully underpriced for $40 out of a used club display. All three have the same shafts. Basically, I find it a lot easier to practice three wedges rather than four; and I can choke down on a 9i if the 48 is a bit short for the shot.

IF I got to where I could play more and do detail work on my game, I might return to the 4-wedge setup. As of now, the reshafted 4i carries almost as long as the 4H. Thus, I could pull one out of the bag - depending on the course - if I went back to 4 wedges.

The 48 and 54 get PW and SW-type usage, with SW also for shaggy pitches. The 60 LW... depends a lot on the course and the manicure for the day. If course has plush greenside rough and the greens are small, I might use it six times a round. If the ground is beat up and quick stop is not really needed, it might not use it at all that round.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

My 52° probably gets the most use. Full shots from around 110 or so then knockdowns, pitches and bump and runs all the way down to most "standard" greenside chips. I suspect this is mainly because I was all into Nick Faldo when I was a kid and got a Mizuno NF 52° (still have it probably 25 years on!). This was back when various lofted wedges were just showing up in shops and I wanted something between my PW and SW. At the time, I felt like it was the coolest club in my bag so I practiced using it for everything. So you'll never see my bag without a 52°.

My 56° is almost exclusively for bunker play though depending on the shot, I'll use it for full swings from 80-90 yards out or out of deep rough when I need to move it.

My 58° is really only when I need to get it in the air super quickly or need to do something cute. It's my least used wedge but if I take it outta the bag, there's no doubt I'll need it and wish I had it.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

> @BetterAtBingo said:

> I find that the more wedge choices I have for shots around the green, the more my brain goes haywire. A penny for your thoughts on why more is better for you?

I play better when I COMMIT to a shot, regardless if it's a pitch from 30yds or a draw with a 4i over water. So if I have 3-4 wedges to choose from around the green, I do have lots of options sometimes, but as long as I commit, I should be okay. That said, I practice 5x more than I play, so I practice most of these shots around the greens. Certainly helps with the commitment/confidence. Good luck out there!

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

I play a 46, 50, 54, 58. It took a while (and it's still happening) to adjust from playing a more "traditional" (early 2000's) set of wedges that were 48, 52, 56. At the time, I didn't play a lob (58+), mostly because of the courses I played didn't require it. Plus, it allowed me to put a 2 iron in the bag...mostly for punch out from the trees ( :smiley: ). Now I predominately play at a course that requires a lob on some very specific holes in certain situations.

The adjustment has been rough, as I used to use a 56 for most of my pitches around the green, and I couldn't make sense of the 54 / 58 combo. I've kinda figured it out for the most part:

46: This is a specialty wedge/non set matching. Like it for full shots, and have good feel to back it off and take 15-20 yards off of it, and hit it lower if needed.

50: Honestly, I end up using this club the least, as I tend to hit it over 100 yards, which is what my 52 used to do. Still use it for some pitching and chipping. It's just taking some learning.

54: Mostly high pitch shots and long-ish green side bunker shots (over 15 yards or so)

58: Used much less than the 54, but will use it for short bunker shots, and flops (which I hate playing).

All of the above being said, I tend to chip and keep the ball low as much as possible, so 9i and 8i (and even as low as 6i) come out of the bag on shots around the green...depending on the situation. While it can get confusing sometimes, I personally like chosing from the entire bottom 6-8 clubs in my bag for shots around the green. It allows me to use my imagination...which is what I think makes this game fun...

and maddening.

I am very grateful for all the feedback. The beauty of this game is that there are multiple ways to skin this cat (apologies to the cat lovers). I heard that Tom Lehman only used a 56 for most of his career so I figured good enough for Tom, good enough for me!

Tour  M2 RipTide MX 70 | Mavrik 4 Wood Rogue 70 | Callaway '16 Apex RipTide MX 105  | Callaway '16 Apex HC Hzrdus 105 | Titleist 718 AP1 SF 95 | TM MG3 53° / MG3 TW 57° Heppler TYNE 3