What's the deal with golf Channel's programing?

Titleist99

Don't think that I can take another Tin cup or Bobby Jones episode. What kind of programing would you like to see other than the scheduled golf programming……..here is your opportunity to tell those executives what is on our minds....let have more Shell wonderful world of golf matches for starters. How's that for starters...How 'bout televising all tournaments. How 'bout more full shots and less putting.....

Tournament coverage is acceptable but the after hour stuff is awful......carry on!

The Arnold Palmer evening yesterday was great. The movies su-diddly-uck.

Shell WW is always solid, ANY replay of ANY tournament is better than Tin Cup.

ANY replay of ANY instructional show. I probably missed a few over the years. Replay the Big Break, I might even watch it this time.

They have decent stuff earlier in the evening; there’s just the dreaded 8-10pm slot on non-tournament days where I’d like to watch a little golf before turning in and here comes effing Tin Cup.

> @howellhandmade said:

> The Arnold Palmer evening yesterday was great. The movies su-diddly-uck.

>

> Shell WW is always solid, ANY replay of ANY tournament is better than Tin Cup.

>

> ANY replay of ANY instructional show. I probably missed a few over the years. Replay the Big Break, I might even watch it this time.

>

> They have decent stuff earlier in the evening; there’s just the dreaded 8-10pm slot on non-tournament days where I’d like to watch a little golf before turning in and here comes effing Tin Cup.

They take their viewers for granted....

You don't like analyzing Tin Cup ?

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

> @Titleist99 said:

> Don't think that I can take another Tin cup or Bobby Jones episode. What kind of programing would you like to see other than the scheduled golf programming……..here is your opportunity to tell those executives what is on our minds....let have more Shell wonderful world of golf matches for starters. How's that for starters...How 'bout televising all tournaments. How 'bout more full shots and less putting.....

> Tournament coverage is acceptable but the after hour stuff is awful......carry on!

I agree that there is a lot of disappointing programming choices made by the person/people making the programming choices. (Especially playing the same show or movie back to back in a row over and over again.) You are unlikely to ever get your "televising every tournament" wish. It cost money for them to send and pay for people to work and film (as well as do all the behind the scenes/camera/spotting, etc ) that takes place in a broadcast. Likewise they usually don't have spotters / announcers with every group out there.

I agree I'd like to see some of the old Shell Wonderful World of Golf telecasts with the likes of Ernie Els, Phil Mickelson, Greg Norman, Nick Faldo, Fred Couples, etc. (You've heard that one of the voices of that pasted away recently - Jack Whitiker ? - right?)

Spoiler

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 9* 

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* Tensei blue

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW Nippon Modus 3 105 irons

Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105 wedges

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6STR putter

I'm sure that it has to do with cost. They can probably get the rights to show those movies over and over for considerably less than other programming. Probably, who ever owns the rights to Shell's WWOG wants too much money. They may also have rating data that more people watch those movies than WWOG in the past.

• Like 1

I wonder what it would take (and this applies to many other sports as well) to review old matches or tournaments through the lens of a 2019 golfer. Something akin to a DVD commentary, where the directors/producers (in this example, the color commentators) can look back on the impact that any one particular match had on the remainder of the season, or for the following few years...maybe with some little historical or trivia tidbits.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

The golf channel suffers from the same thing that MTV did. It forgot/forgets what the channel was intended for.

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @Rangeballz said:

> If you think it's bad now (and it is), imagine how bad it will be if they lose the Thu/Fri broadcast rights for most tour events. I understand those negotiations are going on now. The line-uo will consist of Tin Cup, endless Feherty reruns, and infomercials.

LOL! What a horrible thought....

> @HappyGilmoresBoots said:

> I wonder what it would take (and this applies to many other sports as well) to review old matches or tournaments through the lens of a 2019 golfer. Something akin to a DVD commentary, where the directors/producers (in this example, the color commentators) can look back on the impact that any one particular match had on the remainder of the season, or for the following few years...maybe with some little historical or trivia tidbits.

Do you mean sit down with a pro and have him analyze the program that he is watching? They could also have the champion narrate a tournament and let the viewing audience know what was going through his mind at the time and throw in some instruction regarding the shots he was hitting. That would only require some editing and a couple of chairs...

> @NevinW said:

> I'm sure that it has to do with cost. They can probably get the rights to show those movies over and over for considerably less than other programming. Probably, who ever owns the rights to Shell's WWOG wants too much money. They may also have rating data that more people watch those movies than WWOG in the past.

I'd rather have more talking heads...Hard to believe that anything is less expensive than that...This board proves that people love to talk golf.....LOL!

> @"Golf Scientist" said:

> > @Titleist99 said:

> > Don't think that I can take another Tin cup or Bobby Jones episode. What kind of programing would you like to see other than the scheduled golf programming……..here is your opportunity to tell those executives what is on our minds....let have more Shell wonderful world of golf matches for starters. How's that for starters...How 'bout televising all tournaments. How 'bout more full shots and less putting.....

> > Tournament coverage is acceptable but the after hour stuff is awful......carry on!

>

> I agree that there is a lot of disappointing programming choices made by the person/people making the programming choices. (Especially playing the same show or movie back to back in a row over and over again.) You are unlikely to ever get your "televising every tournament" wish. It cost money for them to send and pay for people to work and film (as well as do all the behind the scenes/camera/spotting, etc ) that takes place in a broadcast. Likewise they usually don't have spotters / announcers with every group out there.

>

> I agree I'd like to see some of the old Shell Wonderful World of Golf telecasts with the likes of Ernie Els, Phil Mickelson, Greg Norman, Nick Faldo, Fred Couples, etc. (You've heard that one of the voices of that pasted away recently - Jack Whitiker ? - right?'

Here's a novel thought...why not create more matches. How 'bout The FedEx Fabulous Series Of Golf. Lets find another Jack Whitiker...

> @Rangeballz said:

> If you think it's bad now (and it is), imagine how bad it will be if they lose the Thu/Fri broadcast rights for most tour events. I understand those negotiations are going on now. The line-up will consist of Tin Cup, endless Feherty reruns, and infomercials.

NBC will just convert it to something else like NBC Sports Channel 2.

> @jpcortese said:

> Just saw that Michelle Wie is joining the Golf Channel starting this weekend. Not sure what she will be doing. Is this a sign that her golfing career is over?

ummm ..... ummmmmm. ya, ummmm for sure.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Ideas for Golf Channel

All Square: Brandel Chamblee develops a split personality and debates himself for two hours every morning

Robert Damron's Dance Party: the hottest and freshest music and dance moves from the early 90s are back!

Beat the Clock: Peter Kessler returns to Golf Channel! He hosts a talk show and if can make it an entire hour without getting fired, he and each member of the studio audience get $100.

Who wants to be a TPC? Courses from around the country compete to be the next course in the TPC family.

The Commish: Jay Monahan plays golf with corporate big wigs and tries to land deals for tournament sponsors.

CARTS: Caddyshack style cartoon featuring talking golf carts that replaced the caddies

• Like 1

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> Ideas for Golf Channel

>

> All Square: Brandel Chamblee develops a split personality and debates himself for two hours every morning

> Robert Damron's Dance Party: the hottest and freshest music and dance moves from the early 90s are back!

> Beat the Clock: Peter Kessler returns to Golf Channel! He hosts a talk show and if can make it an entire hour without getting fired, he and each member of the studio audience get $100.

> Who wants to be a TPC? Courses from around the country compete to be the next course in the TPC family.

> The Commish: Jay Monahan plays golf with corporate big wigs and tries to land deals for tournament sponsors.

> CARTS: Caddyshack style cartoon featuring talking golf carts that replaced the caddies

All that would certainly be an improvement on what we have now....LOL! I'm very intrigued with that Brandel thing...LOL! The golf purist will have your head for the blasphemy.

> @LICC said:

> Golf Channel should do more on courses, course design, architecture, etc. They have that Round Trip show but that is more like an advertisement with Matt Ginella trying to be Anthony Bourdain. I would like a weekly show with some more depth and detail on that topic.

I actually like Matt and his traveling shows. I would watch a show that goes further in to architecture "The Creating of a Golf Course" They could take us from the purchase of the land to opening day......a ten part series.

> @Titleist99 said:

> > @LICC said:

> > Golf Channel should do more on courses, course design, architecture, etc. They have that Round Trip show but that is more like an advertisement with Matt Ginella trying to be Anthony Bourdain. I would like a weekly show with some more depth and detail on that topic.

>

> I actually like Matt and his traveling shows. I would watch a show that goes further in to architecture "The Creating of a Golf Course"

I like him and the show too, but it doesn't really get into the details of the golf courses that much.