GolfWRX 2019 Best Drivers Discussion Thread

Any thoughts for low spin players? I have a between 95 and 100 and hit up 4, but don’t generate a lot of spin.

> @Willbda said:

> I have found that for high spin players, the best Driver has been the Ping 410 LST, with a Project X HZDUS Yellow shaft. Low spin, higher launch. The driver head itself it the most forgiving in my opinion.

• Like 1

I'll get completely flamed for this one, but my bag is home to the Wilson Cortex this season. After the Epic Flash didn't improve on the numbers that the Rogue SZ gave me, I tried a few others (F9, M5/M6, Mizzy 190, etc...) the Cortex delivered amazing numbers (was $100 less than many of the others) and kept the "left pull" of the play for me. I would still probably rate it as even with the Rogue, but it surprised me that Wilson built a driver that could compete with the others. After the long line of "meh" drivers that Wilson put out starting with the M3, it was really nice to see such a great performer with so many fitting options brought out. Had it been tossed out at $349, I think it would have made a big dent in the big guys market share - just like the Tour Edge EXS did.

Anyways, LOVE this break down and thanks for doing it by swing speed. It's completely true that different head and shaft combos work very differently depending on how hard they are swung.

• Like 1

Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g

405 yd par 4. Straight away, fairway ends at 97 yards from the green, into rough and a pond. Tees set right at the 405 marker.

Back story. 42, 3x back surgery from motorcycle racing and firefighting accidents, strong, but out of shape. SS with a driver is ~103-105, if I really crank one and not die I can hit 110.

No wind, hit a dead straight ProV1x that landed on the left center and rolled down to spittin' distance to the left of and dead pin high with the 100 yard marker. 305 yards total. Probably 285 carry based on how the day was going with roll out.

Could I have done that with any correct head/shaft combo in the last 10 years? Maybe, but I've had more than a few drivers over the years and it hasn't been common that's for sure.

Plus this one happened just a few months after back surgery #3 so for now, I'll drink the Flavor-Aid and say Callaway, you built a killer.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Getting along really well with the standard flash. It may not be the longest combo I have ever played, but plenty long enough and it's definitely the straightest driver I've ever gamed. Hit 13/14 fairways last round, and the one missed was just a poor start line on a hole I always struggle with alignment on. I haven't been on the range with it enough, so wasn't trying to hit different shots with it, just my stock 5-10 yard draw. With that often comes some hooks, but none to speak of so far. If my 14 drives were shot traced last round they would've been right on top of each other. Very pleased so far.

Titleist TSR3 8* PX HZRDUS Blue 
Titleist TSR2+ PX HZRDUS Yellow
Titleist 980 17* Project X black
Titleist T100 4-6 Project X

Titleist 620mb 7-9 Project X
Titleist SM8 46* PX
Titleist SM8 53* PX
Titleist SM8 59* PX
Scotty Special Select Newport2
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1141363-golflefty-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

> @handyquacks17 said:

> I switched this season from 915 d2 to M5 and dont regret it at all. took me a bit to adjust but now Im all set. Im surprised how accurate the m5 is and I picked up some easy distance

I can second that, I had ping G, G30, g410, cobra F9 and after fitting for right shaft and moving weights, the M5 is one of the most accurate drivers I’ve owned and I’ve had a bunch, the dispersion is tighter than anything I’ve owned. I’ve actually got the 10.5, and both weights are all the way to draw and it’s either slightly fading or straight.

I have a fitting with Ryan at Carls Golfland coming up, very cool. Considering he is one of the fitters that participated in this testing makes me feel if theres a better driver out there, were gonna find it.

Update: We tried a bunch and I couldn't hit anything longer or straighter than my current driver of almost ten years, a Ping G20 9.5* with an even older Diamana Blue Board.

> @zcarman93 said:

> I'll get completely flamed for this one, but my bag is home to the Wilson Cortex this season. After the Epic Flash didn't improve on the numbers that the Rogue SZ gave me, I tried a few others (F9, M5/M6, Mizzy 190, etc...) the Cortex delivered amazing numbers (was $100 less than many of the others) and kept the "left pull" of the play for me. I would still probably rate it as even with the Rogue, but it surprised me that Wilson built a driver that could compete with the others. After the long line of "meh" drivers that Wilson put out starting with the M3, it was really nice to see such a great performer with so many fitting options brought out. Had it been tossed out at $349, I think it would have made a big dent in the big guys market share - just like the Tour Edge EXS did.

>

> Anyways, LOVE this break down and thanks for doing it by swing speed. It's completely true that different head and shaft combos work very differently depending on how hard they are swung.

>

No flaming from me. I've posted about he Cortex previously. I think it's the best looking driver of 2019 by a large margin. After squiring, I installed an Elements Chrome, and it's been a fantastic driver all season. The sound was the only thing I was still not crazy about, but it was a big improvement over previous Wilson offerings. Would have liked to see more adjustability in the adapter settings, but overall the Cortex has been a great addition. I'm sure it will gain more popularity as the price continues to fall. Unfortunately for Wilson, most feel their product line won't compete price wise, and will have to have a steady drop.

Mizuno ST-X 230 10.5

Mizuno ST-Z 15d. 

Titleist 818h2 17d. 

WIlson Staff C300 forged 4-pw

Srixon ZX utility 20d. 

Scratch 8620 53d. 

Odyssey white hot pro

According to Ping, the neutral flat setting will allow 3 degrees flat, going up or down in loft in the flat setting will allow 2 degrees flat...

> @SMUGamer said:

> Titleist does. You can flatten the lie angle by .75* > @Bluedog54 said:

> > I bought the Ping G410 Plus for the simple reason that the Ping hozzle adjustment allows for a "flat" lie setting... as far as I know, no other manufacturer offers this adjustment.

>

• Like 1

As a 58 year old senior who used to play 6 days a week, and now, after a 20+ year hiatus from golf, I was shocked to see that I had lost 60 yards on my drives. What to do? I bought a new Ping G driver-no big gain in distance but i did feel better consistency.

Starting three years ago, I could only hit a drive about 200 yards. I started working with a trainer twice a week and 1 day on my own. Since then, i have had a 10% increase year over year: FROM 200 YARDS TO 240 YARDS!

I do not believe there is anyone out there that will say they can gain 40 yards by changing clubs.

Use the money wisely and hit the gym!

• Like 1

> @Bchpgnc said:

> As a 58 year old senior who used to play 6 days a week, and now, after a 20+ year hiatus from golf, I was shocked to see that I had lost 60 yards on my drives. What to do? I bought a new Ping G driver-no big gain in distance but i did feel better consistency.

>

> Starting three years ago, I could only hit a drive about 200 yards. I started working with a trainer twice a week and 1 day on my own. Since then, i have had a 10% increase year over year: FROM 200 YARDS TO 240 YARDS!

> I do not believe there is anyone out there that will say they can gain 40 yards by changing clubs.

>

> Use the money wisely and hit the gym!

Strength building that is associated with a golf swing, and not necessarily bulky muscles, needless to say. I also like the idea of golf lessons.

I have gamed the F9 Tour all season and the club is long and forgiving, especially for someone who likes to tee the ball a bit lower. That said, I have got on quite well with the TS2 (longest of the bunch for me, but needs the right shaft for dispersion and consistency) and the G410 Plus (by far the most stable driver I have ever hit).

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I’m still playing my 9.5* Taylor Made M4.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

> @dan360 said:

> Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g

>

> 405 yd par 4. Straight away, fairway ends at 97 yards from the green, into rough and a pond. Tees set right at the 405 marker.

>

> Back story. 42, 3x back surgery from motorcycle racing and firefighting accidents, strong, but out of shape. SS with a driver is ~103-105, if I really crank one and not die I can hit 110.

>

> No wind, hit a dead straight ProV1x that landed on the left center and rolled down to spittin' distance to the left of and dead pin high with the 100 yard marker. 305 yards total. Probably 285 carry based on how the day was going with roll out.

>

> Could I have done that with any correct head/shaft combo in the last 10 years? Maybe, but I've had more than a few drivers over the years and it hasn't been common that's for sure.

>

> Plus this one happened just a few months after back surgery #3 so for now, I'll drink the Flavor-Aid and say Callaway, you built a killer.

I have the same exact combo and I strongly believe a good part of the Epic Flash SZ success is that hzrdus Smoke Shaft. Its insane.

I hate Callaway drivers. No real reason it’s just always been in my head. If I find equal performance, I look elsewhere. I’m weird like that. I have the PM grind wedges but hate how their drivers look. Go figure.

Anyway, buddy bought a Epic Flash SZ with Hazrdus spoke 60 gram shaft and I hit it yesterday during the round. I currently hit a 10.5 M3 wity Kura Kage shaft and the Epic was set at 9°. Man, all but 1 were way past what I currently hit with my M3. I refuse to believe it’s the head/shaft as I feel most when properly fit are all about the same and i was fit for my M3 but man..... big differences. Ball flight was lower than I like of course but distance was insane.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

> @rgk5 said:

> As a fitter for the last 15 years, IMO and experience, the lead horses this year are the Cobra F9, Callaway Epic Flash, and the Ping G410.

I have a 8.5 M4 and am testing a 9.0 M6. Same exact shaft in each (125msi rogue tour s). Same swingweight in each. Play the m4 in upright lie setting and m6 in standard. Compared them on course yesterday...

My miss with m4 is right. I seem to have a hard time squaring the face. Miss with m6 is left...straight pull. Seem to have a hard time keeping the face open to path.

M6 was longer by about 12 yards when both were hit well.

What are your thoughts? Going to try a stiffer shaft in the m6 to help slow face rotation. I'm a .5 and swing driver 108-110.

> @getitdaily said:

> > @rgk5 said:

> > As a fitter for the last 15 years, IMO and experience, the lead horses this year are the Cobra F9, Callaway Epic Flash, and the Ping G410.

>

> I have a 8.5 M4 and am testing a 9.0 M6. Same exact shaft in each (125msi rogue tour s). Same swingweight in each. Play the m4 in upright lie setting and m6 in standard. Compared them on course yesterday...

>

> My miss with m4 is right. I seem to have a hard time squaring the face. Miss with m6 is left...straight pull. Seem to have a hard time keeping the face open to path.

>

> M6 was longer by about 12 yards when both were hit well.

>

> What are your thoughts? Going to try a stiffer shaft in the m6 to help slow face rotation. I'm a .5 and swing driver 108-110.

What was the actual ball flight? Launch angle and spin?

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft