How many have found their "utopia" golf ball?

jjfcpa

> @LHGolf4 said:

> I had been using Srixon Z Star and Z Star XV balls but they were spinning up a little too much and I was losing a fair amount of distance. I found an AVX and tried it for a few holes and it did pretty well so I used a gift card I had to get a dozen. After two rounds I am sold this thing fits my swing perfectly. Irons have the correct distance and they hop and stop into the green, wedges just drop and stop, plenty of spin for chip shots, and really good distance off the driver. I will look for some used ones as it hurts to pay that much for a dozen.

You guys are really making me want to try the AVX. I do love both Z-Star and XV and I also love that they are gettable for $20/dozen though.

PING G430 Max 9* - VENTUS Velocore Blue 6S

PING G425 LST 14.5* - VENTUS Velocore Blue 7S

PING G425 Max 20.5* - Tour AD-IZ 7X

Ping G425 Hybrid 24.5* - VENTUS Blue HB 9X

Srixon ZX5 5-AW - Nippon Modus3 105S

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 - DG Spinner

L.A.B. DF 2.1 - Accra || Artisan 0120 Longneck - NS Pro XXIP

> @storm319 said:

> > @Twin2L said:

> > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > @Twin2L said

> > > > ...........

> > > > Ironically, I may never have looked for another ball if it didn’t have that giant “B” on the sides.

> > >

> > > Hate to burst your bubble but it was just likely in your head- that or a bad ball. All these balls are so close to each other in performance, its really splitting hairs. That being said i agree with you on the giant “B”...

> > > "......."........."...............................................................>>>>.

> >

> > No bubble to burst. I do agree that I have a decided level of confidence in the BRX that allows me to relax over a shot.

> >

> > I agree that most so-called premium balls are in the same compression range + or - 15%, resulting in comparable feel and effort required for comparable results.

> >

> > However, there is a significant difference in the balls. With a difference in compression of 22#, fully 1/3 of the BRX’s 66 compression, the Z-Star compression is 88, there is a significant difference in feel off all clubs.

> >

> > I turned 60 a week ago Saturday. I learned to play in the early 70’s in the era of the wound ball, even pre balata. Back then the choices were all soft except for the old “rockflights”. Even later when Titleist came out with the 80 compression, followed by the 90, those differences were noticeable. I did play the 80’s well and often, but didn’t like he 90’s at all.

> >

> > Ironically, 35 years later I played the v1x and B330, but a 2nd significant neck injury and a dozen years later, I prefer the feel and sense if control of a softer ball. (It’s also less stressful on a once repaired then reinjured cervical spine), resulting in far less pain post round.

> >

> > I’m a very tactile person and an admitted “feel” player. I even struggle with the lack of feedback sensation of the oversized putter grips. While I still have enough club head speed to compress most balls well enough,I simply love the soft feel of a ball that compresses on the face. Yes, I can tell the difference.

>

> Comparing compression numbers across different OEMs is not an apples to apples comparison since there is no strictly followed industry standard measurement for compression anymore. Most of the OEMs (including Bridgestone) only measure the compression of the core. Srixon is one of the few OEMs that measure the entire ball. The only way to really compare across companies is for a 3rd party to measure in a consistent manner. In the MyGolfSpi ball test, this is what they found using a former industry standard Atti tester:

>

> Bridgestone Tour BRX = 99.6 avg

> Srixon Z Star = 100.8 avg

>

> Ultimately this measured difference is negligible between these two models, so the difference you perceived was either sensitivity to the relative hardness of specific layers of the ball or simply a placebo effect based on your comparison of the OEM stated numbers.

When I read the robot testers ball guide page, and reviewed their data, doubt started to creep into my mind about those guys and the testing especially when I read the compression data.

GBT.org has been publishing ATTI compression data for years (most recent public info is 2016...can't find their 2018 info). They have the 2016 TourB330 RX overall compression at 82 (atti) and the 2015 Srixon z-star 94 (atti).

I'm sure the robot testers used the newest of each brand so probably the 2017 TourB RX and the 2019 Z-Star....but Bridgestone's sales team and spokespeople both claim the 2017 cover is softer than the 2016 and also the graduated core is softer. So....after making the ball softer for 2017 the overall the ATTI compression goes from up from 82 to 100??? Somebody's not using the ATTI correctly IMHO.

> @rwbloom93 said:

> > @storm319 said:

> > > @Twin2L said:

> > > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > > @Twin2L said

> > > > > ...........

> > > > > Ironically, I may never have looked for another ball if it didn’t have that giant “B” on the sides.

> > > >

> > > > Hate to burst your bubble but it was just likely in your head- that or a bad ball. All these balls are so close to each other in performance, its really splitting hairs. That being said i agree with you on the giant “B”...

> > > > "......."........."...............................................................>>>>.

> > >

> > > No bubble to burst. I do agree that I have a decided level of confidence in the BRX that allows me to relax over a shot.

> > >

> > > I agree that most so-called premium balls are in the same compression range + or - 15%, resulting in comparable feel and effort required for comparable results.

> > >

> > > However, there is a significant difference in the balls. With a difference in compression of 22#, fully 1/3 of the BRX’s 66 compression, the Z-Star compression is 88, there is a significant difference in feel off all clubs.

> > >

> > > I turned 60 a week ago Saturday. I learned to play in the early 70’s in the era of the wound ball, even pre balata. Back then the choices were all soft except for the old “rockflights”. Even later when Titleist came out with the 80 compression, followed by the 90, those differences were noticeable. I did play the 80’s well and often, but didn’t like he 90’s at all.

> > >

> > > Ironically, 35 years later I played the v1x and B330, but a 2nd significant neck injury and a dozen years later, I prefer the feel and sense if control of a softer ball. (It’s also less stressful on a once repaired then reinjured cervical spine), resulting in far less pain post round.

> > >

> > > I’m a very tactile person and an admitted “feel” player. I even struggle with the lack of feedback sensation of the oversized putter grips. While I still have enough club head speed to compress most balls well enough,I simply love the soft feel of a ball that compresses on the face. Yes, I can tell the difference.

> >

> > Comparing compression numbers across different OEMs is not an apples to apples comparison since there is no strictly followed industry standard measurement for compression anymore. Most of the OEMs (including Bridgestone) only measure the compression of the core. Srixon is one of the few OEMs that measure the entire ball. The only way to really compare across companies is for a 3rd party to measure in a consistent manner. In the MyGolfSpi ball test, this is what they found using a former industry standard Atti tester:

> >

> > Bridgestone Tour BRX = 99.6 avg

> > Srixon Z Star = 100.8 avg

> >

> > Ultimately this measured difference is negligible between these two models, so the difference you perceived was either sensitivity to the relative hardness of specific layers of the ball or simply a placebo effect based on your comparison of the OEM stated numbers.

>

> When I read the robot testers ball guide page, and reviewed their data, doubt started to creep into my mind about those guys and the testing especially when I read the compression data.

>

> GBT.org has been publishing ATTI compression data for years (most recent public info is 2016...can't find their 2018 info). They have the 2016 TourB330 RX overall compression at 82 (atti) and the 2015 Srixon z-star 94 (atti).

>

> I'm sure the robot testers used the newest of each brand so probably the 2017 TourB RX and the 2019 Z-Star....but Bridgestone's sales team and spokespeople both claim the 2017 cover is softer than the 2016 and also the graduated core is softer. So....after making the ball softer for 2017 the overall the ATTI compression goes from up from 82 to 100??? Somebody's not using the ATTI correctly IMHO.

Given that the MyGolf$py results are consistently higher my guess is that the variance is a calibration issue (who is actually more accurate is anyone’s guess). I don’t recommend comparing numbers across tests as there is no way to eliminate the measurement variables/methodologies. What is helpful is comparing balls from different OEMs within the same consistent test.

> @rwbloom93 said:

> > @storm319 said:

> > > @Twin2L said:

> > > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > > @Twin2L said

> > > > > ...........

> > > > > Ironically, I may never have looked for another ball if it didn’t have that giant “B” on the sides.

> > > >

> > > > Hate to burst your bubble but it was just likely in your head- that or a bad ball. All these balls are so close to each other in performance, its really splitting hairs. That being said i agree with you on the giant “B”...

> > > > "......."........."...............................................................>>>>.

> > >

> > > No bubble to burst. I do agree that I have a decided level of confidence in the BRX that allows me to relax over a shot.

> > >

> > > I agree that most so-called premium balls are in the same compression range + or - 15%, resulting in comparable feel and effort required for comparable results.

> > >

> > > However, there is a significant difference in the balls. With a difference in compression of 22#, fully 1/3 of the BRX’s 66 compression, the Z-Star compression is 88, there is a significant difference in feel off all clubs.

> > >

> > > I turned 60 a week ago Saturday. I learned to play in the early 70’s in the era of the wound ball, even pre balata. Back then the choices were all soft except for the old “rockflights”. Even later when Titleist came out with the 80 compression, followed by the 90, those differences were noticeable. I did play the 80’s well and often, but didn’t like he 90’s at all.

> > >

> > > Ironically, 35 years later I played the v1x and B330, but a 2nd significant neck injury and a dozen years later, I prefer the feel and sense if control of a softer ball. (It’s also less stressful on a once repaired then reinjured cervical spine), resulting in far less pain post round.

> > >

> > > I’m a very tactile person and an admitted “feel” player. I even struggle with the lack of feedback sensation of the oversized putter grips. While I still have enough club head speed to compress most balls well enough,I simply love the soft feel of a ball that compresses on the face. Yes, I can tell the difference.

> >

> > Comparing compression numbers across different OEMs is not an apples to apples comparison since there is no strictly followed industry standard measurement for compression anymore. Most of the OEMs (including Bridgestone) only measure the compression of the core. Srixon is one of the few OEMs that measure the entire ball. The only way to really compare across companies is for a 3rd party to measure in a consistent manner. In the MyGolfSpi ball test, this is what they found using a former industry standard Atti tester:

> >

> > Bridgestone Tour BRX = 99.6 avg

> > Srixon Z Star = 100.8 avg

> >

> > Ultimately this measured difference is negligible between these two models, so the difference you perceived was either sensitivity to the relative hardness of specific layers of the ball or simply a placebo effect based on your comparison of the OEM stated numbers.

>

> When I read the robot testers ball guide page, and reviewed their data, doubt started to creep into my mind about those guys and the testing especially when I read the compression data.

>

> GBT.org has been publishing ATTI compression data for years (most recent public info is 2016...can't find their 2018 info). They have the 2016 TourB330 RX overall compression at 82 (atti) and the 2015 Srixon z-star 94 (atti).

>

> I'm sure the robot testers used the newest of each brand so probably the 2017 TourB RX and the 2019 Z-Star....but Bridgestone's sales team and spokespeople both claim the 2017 cover is softer than the 2016 and also the graduated core is softer. So....after making the ball softer for 2017 the overall the ATTI compression goes from up from 82 to 100??? Somebody's not using the ATTI correctly IMHO.

I dont think what your saying really matters...scientifically. They said in disclaimer that methods for compression testing varied from manufacturers. What really matters is they tested the compressions on ALL balls, the same way every time. Whether or not they were close to manufacturers claim is irrelevant, but what is-the direct comparison between balls using same testing methods.

> @Red4282 said:

> > @rwbloom93 said:

> > > @storm319 said:

> > > > @Twin2L said:

> > > > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > > > @Twin2L said

> > > > > > ...........

> > > > > > Ironically, I may never have looked for another ball if it didn’t have that giant “B” on the sides.

> > > > >

> > > > > Hate to burst your bubble but it was just likely in your head- that or a bad ball. All these balls are so close to each other in performance, its really splitting hairs. That being said i agree with you on the giant “B”...

> > > > > "......."........."...............................................................>>>>.

> > > >

> > > > No bubble to burst. I do agree that I have a decided level of confidence in the BRX that allows me to relax over a shot.

> > > >

> > > > I agree that most so-called premium balls are in the same compression range + or - 15%, resulting in comparable feel and effort required for comparable results.

> > > >

> > > > However, there is a significant difference in the balls. With a difference in compression of 22#, fully 1/3 of the BRX’s 66 compression, the Z-Star compression is 88, there is a significant difference in feel off all clubs.

> > > >

> > > > I turned 60 a week ago Saturday. I learned to play in the early 70’s in the era of the wound ball, even pre balata. Back then the choices were all soft except for the old “rockflights”. Even later when Titleist came out with the 80 compression, followed by the 90, those differences were noticeable. I did play the 80’s well and often, but didn’t like he 90’s at all.

> > > >

> > > > Ironically, 35 years later I played the v1x and B330, but a 2nd significant neck injury and a dozen years later, I prefer the feel and sense if control of a softer ball. (It’s also less stressful on a once repaired then reinjured cervical spine), resulting in far less pain post round.

> > > >

> > > > I’m a very tactile person and an admitted “feel” player. I even struggle with the lack of feedback sensation of the oversized putter grips. While I still have enough club head speed to compress most balls well enough,I simply love the soft feel of a ball that compresses on the face. Yes, I can tell the difference.

> > >

> > > Comparing compression numbers across different OEMs is not an apples to apples comparison since there is no strictly followed industry standard measurement for compression anymore. Most of the OEMs (including Bridgestone) only measure the compression of the core. Srixon is one of the few OEMs that measure the entire ball. The only way to really compare across companies is for a 3rd party to measure in a consistent manner. In the MyGolfSpi ball test, this is what they found using a former industry standard Atti tester:

> > >

> > > Bridgestone Tour BRX = 99.6 avg

> > > Srixon Z Star = 100.8 avg

> > >

> > > Ultimately this measured difference is negligible between these two models, so the difference you perceived was either sensitivity to the relative hardness of specific layers of the ball or simply a placebo effect based on your comparison of the OEM stated numbers.

> >

> > When I read the robot testers ball guide page, and reviewed their data, doubt started to creep into my mind about those guys and the testing especially when I read the compression data.

> >

> > GBT.org has been publishing ATTI compression data for years (most recent public info is 2016...can't find their 2018 info). They have the 2016 TourB330 RX overall compression at 82 (atti) and the 2015 Srixon z-star 94 (atti).

> >

> > I'm sure the robot testers used the newest of each brand so probably the 2017 TourB RX and the 2019 Z-Star....but Bridgestone's sales team and spokespeople both claim the 2017 cover is softer than the 2016 and also the graduated core is softer. So....after making the ball softer for 2017 the overall the ATTI compression goes from up from 82 to 100??? Somebody's not using the ATTI correctly IMHO.

>

> I dont think what your saying really matters...scientifically. They said in disclaimer that methods for compression testing varied from manufacturers. What really matters is they tested the compressions on ALL balls, the same way every time. Whether or not they were close to manufacturers claim is irrelevant, but what is-the direct comparison between balls using same testing methods.

But > @Red4282 said:

> > @rwbloom93 said:

> > > @storm319 said:

> > > > @Twin2L said:

> > > > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > > > @Twin2L said

> > > > > > ...........

> > > > > > Ironically, I may never have looked for another ball if it didn’t have that giant “B” on the sides.

> > > > >

> > > > > Hate to burst your bubble but it was just likely in your head- that or a bad ball. All these balls are so close to each other in performance, its really splitting hairs. That being said i agree with you on the giant “B”...

> > > > > "......."........."...............................................................>>>>.

> > > >

> > > > No bubble to burst. I do agree that I have a decided level of confidence in the BRX that allows me to relax over a shot.

> > > >

> > > > I agree that most so-called premium balls are in the same compression range + or - 15%, resulting in comparable feel and effort required for comparable results.

> > > >

> > > > However, there is a significant difference in the balls. With a difference in compression of 22#, fully 1/3 of the BRX’s 66 compression, the Z-Star compression is 88, there is a significant difference in feel off all clubs.

> > > >

> > > > I turned 60 a week ago Saturday. I learned to play in the early 70’s in the era of the wound ball, even pre balata. Back then the choices were all soft except for the old “rockflights”. Even later when Titleist came out with the 80 compression, followed by the 90, those differences were noticeable. I did play the 80’s well and often, but didn’t like he 90’s at all.

> > > >

> > > > Ironically, 35 years later I played the v1x and B330, but a 2nd significant neck injury and a dozen years later, I prefer the feel and sense if control of a softer ball. (It’s also less stressful on a once repaired then reinjured cervical spine), resulting in far less pain post round.

> > > >

> > > > I’m a very tactile person and an admitted “feel” player. I even struggle with the lack of feedback sensation of the oversized putter grips. While I still have enough club head speed to compress most balls well enough,I simply love the soft feel of a ball that compresses on the face. Yes, I can tell the difference.

> > >

> > > Comparing compression numbers across different OEMs is not an apples to apples comparison since there is no strictly followed industry standard measurement for compression anymore. Most of the OEMs (including Bridgestone) only measure the compression of the core. Srixon is one of the few OEMs that measure the entire ball. The only way to really compare across companies is for a 3rd party to measure in a consistent manner. In the MyGolfSpi ball test, this is what they found using a former industry standard Atti tester:

> > >

> > > Bridgestone Tour BRX = 99.6 avg

> > > Srixon Z Star = 100.8 avg

> > >

> > > Ultimately this measured difference is negligible between these two models, so the difference you perceived was either sensitivity to the relative hardness of specific layers of the ball or simply a placebo effect based on your comparison of the OEM stated numbers.

> >

> > When I read the robot testers ball guide page, and reviewed their data, doubt started to creep into my mind about those guys and the testing especially when I read the compression data.

> >

> > GBT.org has been publishing ATTI compression data for years (most recent public info is 2016...can't find their 2018 info). They have the 2016 TourB330 RX overall compression at 82 (atti) and the 2015 Srixon z-star 94 (atti).

> >

> > I'm sure the robot testers used the newest of each brand so probably the 2017 TourB RX and the 2019 Z-Star....but Bridgestone's sales team and spokespeople both claim the 2017 cover is softer than the 2016 and also the graduated core is softer. So....after making the ball softer for 2017 the overall the ATTI compression goes from up from 82 to 100??? Somebody's not using the ATTI correctly IMHO.

>

> I dont think what your saying really matters...scientifically. They said in disclaimer that methods for compression testing varied from manufacturers. What really matters is they tested the compressions on ALL balls, the same way every time. Whether or not they were close to manufacturers claim is irrelevant, but what is-the direct comparison between balls using same testing methods.

Manufacturer data is not used in the comparison. I was comparing tests ran by GBT (an independent golf testing company) to the other testing website (mygolfnerds).

They both used the same machine (atti), applied the same 200lb force, and measured deflection...yet...came to very different values for compression.

Admittedly, GBT data is previous generation models but the newer models are supposed to be softer overall....so how does my-golf-nerds record higher compression....there's an answer, but I don't know what it is.

> @rwbloom93 said:

> > @Red4282 said:

> > > @rwbloom93 said:

> > > > @storm319 said:

> > > > > @Twin2L said:

> > > > > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > > > > @Twin2L said

> > > > > > > ...........

> > > > > > > Ironically, I may never have looked for another ball if it didn’t have that giant “B” on the sides.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Hate to burst your bubble but it was just likely in your head- that or a bad ball. All these balls are so close to each other in performance, its really splitting hairs. That being said i agree with you on the giant “B”...

> > > > > > "......."........."...............................................................>>>>.

> > > > >

> > > > > No bubble to burst. I do agree that I have a decided level of confidence in the BRX that allows me to relax over a shot.

> > > > >

> > > > > I agree that most so-called premium balls are in the same compression range + or - 15%, resulting in comparable feel and effort required for comparable results.

> > > > >

> > > > > However, there is a significant difference in the balls. With a difference in compression of 22#, fully 1/3 of the BRX’s 66 compression, the Z-Star compression is 88, there is a significant difference in feel off all clubs.

> > > > >

> > > > > I turned 60 a week ago Saturday. I learned to play in the early 70’s in the era of the wound ball, even pre balata. Back then the choices were all soft except for the old “rockflights”. Even later when Titleist came out with the 80 compression, followed by the 90, those differences were noticeable. I did play the 80’s well and often, but didn’t like he 90’s at all.

> > > > >

> > > > > Ironically, 35 years later I played the v1x and B330, but a 2nd significant neck injury and a dozen years later, I prefer the feel and sense if control of a softer ball. (It’s also less stressful on a once repaired then reinjured cervical spine), resulting in far less pain post round.

> > > > >

> > > > > I’m a very tactile person and an admitted “feel” player. I even struggle with the lack of feedback sensation of the oversized putter grips. While I still have enough club head speed to compress most balls well enough,I simply love the soft feel of a ball that compresses on the face. Yes, I can tell the difference.

> > > >

> > > > Comparing compression numbers across different OEMs is not an apples to apples comparison since there is no strictly followed industry standard measurement for compression anymore. Most of the OEMs (including Bridgestone) only measure the compression of the core. Srixon is one of the few OEMs that measure the entire ball. The only way to really compare across companies is for a 3rd party to measure in a consistent manner. In the MyGolfSpi ball test, this is what they found using a former industry standard Atti tester:

> > > >

> > > > Bridgestone Tour BRX = 99.6 avg

> > > > Srixon Z Star = 100.8 avg

> > > >

> > > > Ultimately this measured difference is negligible between these two models, so the difference you perceived was either sensitivity to the relative hardness of specific layers of the ball or simply a placebo effect based on your comparison of the OEM stated numbers.

> > >

> > > When I read the robot testers ball guide page, and reviewed their data, doubt started to creep into my mind about those guys and the testing especially when I read the compression data.

> > >

> > > GBT.org has been publishing ATTI compression data for years (most recent public info is 2016...can't find their 2018 info). They have the 2016 TourB330 RX overall compression at 82 (atti) and the 2015 Srixon z-star 94 (atti).

> > >

> > > I'm sure the robot testers used the newest of each brand so probably the 2017 TourB RX and the 2019 Z-Star....but Bridgestone's sales team and spokespeople both claim the 2017 cover is softer than the 2016 and also the graduated core is softer. So....after making the ball softer for 2017 the overall the ATTI compression goes from up from 82 to 100??? Somebody's not using the ATTI correctly IMHO.

> >

> > I dont think what your saying really matters...scientifically. They said in disclaimer that methods for compression testing varied from manufacturers. What really matters is they tested the compressions on ALL balls, the same way every time. Whether or not they were close to manufacturers claim is irrelevant, but what is-the direct comparison between balls using same testing methods.

>

> But > @Red4282 said:

> > > @rwbloom93 said:

> > > > @storm319 said:

> > > > > @Twin2L said:

> > > > > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > > > > @Twin2L said

> > > > > > > ...........

> > > > > > > Ironically, I may never have looked for another ball if it didn’t have that giant “B” on the sides.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Hate to burst your bubble but it was just likely in your head- that or a bad ball. All these balls are so close to each other in performance, its really splitting hairs. That being said i agree with you on the giant “B”...

> > > > > > "......."........."...............................................................>>>>.

> > > > >

> > > > > No bubble to burst. I do agree that I have a decided level of confidence in the BRX that allows me to relax over a shot.

> > > > >

> > > > > I agree that most so-called premium balls are in the same compression range + or - 15%, resulting in comparable feel and effort required for comparable results.

> > > > >

> > > > > However, there is a significant difference in the balls. With a difference in compression of 22#, fully 1/3 of the BRX’s 66 compression, the Z-Star compression is 88, there is a significant difference in feel off all clubs.

> > > > >

> > > > > I turned 60 a week ago Saturday. I learned to play in the early 70’s in the era of the wound ball, even pre balata. Back then the choices were all soft except for the old “rockflights”. Even later when Titleist came out with the 80 compression, followed by the 90, those differences were noticeable. I did play the 80’s well and often, but didn’t like he 90’s at all.

> > > > >

> > > > > Ironically, 35 years later I played the v1x and B330, but a 2nd significant neck injury and a dozen years later, I prefer the feel and sense if control of a softer ball. (It’s also less stressful on a once repaired then reinjured cervical spine), resulting in far less pain post round.

> > > > >

> > > > > I’m a very tactile person and an admitted “feel” player. I even struggle with the lack of feedback sensation of the oversized putter grips. While I still have enough club head speed to compress most balls well enough,I simply love the soft feel of a ball that compresses on the face. Yes, I can tell the difference.

> > > >

> > > > Comparing compression numbers across different OEMs is not an apples to apples comparison since there is no strictly followed industry standard measurement for compression anymore. Most of the OEMs (including Bridgestone) only measure the compression of the core. Srixon is one of the few OEMs that measure the entire ball. The only way to really compare across companies is for a 3rd party to measure in a consistent manner. In the MyGolfSpi ball test, this is what they found using a former industry standard Atti tester:

> > > >

> > > > Bridgestone Tour BRX = 99.6 avg

> > > > Srixon Z Star = 100.8 avg

> > > >

> > > > Ultimately this measured difference is negligible between these two models, so the difference you perceived was either sensitivity to the relative hardness of specific layers of the ball or simply a placebo effect based on your comparison of the OEM stated numbers.

> > >

> > > When I read the robot testers ball guide page, and reviewed their data, doubt started to creep into my mind about those guys and the testing especially when I read the compression data.

> > >

> > > GBT.org has been publishing ATTI compression data for years (most recent public info is 2016...can't find their 2018 info). They have the 2016 TourB330 RX overall compression at 82 (atti) and the 2015 Srixon z-star 94 (atti).

> > >

> > > I'm sure the robot testers used the newest of each brand so probably the 2017 TourB RX and the 2019 Z-Star....but Bridgestone's sales team and spokespeople both claim the 2017 cover is softer than the 2016 and also the graduated core is softer. So....after making the ball softer for 2017 the overall the ATTI compression goes from up from 82 to 100??? Somebody's not using the ATTI correctly IMHO.

> >

> > I dont think what your saying really matters...scientifically. They said in disclaimer that methods for compression testing varied from manufacturers. What really matters is they tested the compressions on ALL balls, the same way every time. Whether or not they were close to manufacturers claim is irrelevant, but what is-the direct comparison between balls using same testing methods.

>

> Manufacturer data is not used in the comparison. I was comparing tests ran by GBT (an independent golf testing company) to the other testing website (mygolfnerds).

>

> They both used the same machine (atti), applied the same 200lb force, and measured deflection...yet...came to very different values for compression.

>

> Admittedly, GBT data is previous generation models but the newer models are supposed to be softer overall....so how does my-golf-nerds record higher compression....there's an answer, but I don't know what it is.

But again it doesnt matter- unless they just have no clue in what they are doing... if ball A tested at XX and ball B tested at 00...same tester, same methods. Its valuable for a direct comparison between balls. I personally am starting think all this stuff is just so overblown. Play whatever you want. Most of us do anyways lol

> You guys are really making me want to try the AVX. I do love both Z-Star and XV and I also love that they are gettable for $20/dozen though.

>

I really loved Srixons (especially around the green) but I noticed some distance inconsistency. I also tried Q Star Tours and they were better but I did not get quite enough spin on my irons and they would roll out a good bit.

I honestly would not have even tried an AVX had I not found one on the course. That being said if you might pick up a sleeve just to see what you think. I have learned there is no one best ball or club. We all have different swings and equipment companies have done a great job of giving us choices (maybe too many) to match what works best for you. If you like the AVX balls you can always buy them used.

I’ve been a big supporter of the z star/xv balls the last few years. This year I noticed the durability slipping a little and decided to try the tp5 again. I gave up on them before because of their lack of durability but the ‘19’s seem much improved and I’m loving everything about them right now. I actually hope to not find that utopia ball because like all golf equipment, part of the fun for me is to try new things.

I stumbled on the Srixon Z Star Kelly Green this summer. I love this ball. Very durable and has all the performance a mid capper like me needs. I went to G Town yesterday to buy some more and learned from the manager that he still has cases of them left in the back. At $14 for 6 balls this is a fantastic buy if you don't mind the greenish tinge. I also learned yesterday that Kelly Green is Masters green! Sold!! I might go back and buy the rest.

Early this year i started my personal ball journey.

I was searching for a premium ball - spin, long, feel.- but don‘t want to pay 50€ (Germany) for prov1/x.

I always like soft balls... Callaway chromesoft was my Ball. Was.

Tried Vice Pro / Pro Plus

Pearl Pure pro / x

Seed 01 / 02

Cut Blue

Snell Mtbx

Srixon Z Star / XV

I really get a feeling, how different the balls are.

With the driver, for sure, everyone want the longest ball... me too.

But i think, there isn‘t much in it. And i learned, that isn‘t the most important point... my drive is about 300 yards total, if 295 or 305... really it doesn‘t matter.

The longest: Mtbx

I go to the other end...

My personal opinion: it‘s all about feel... and what you find a good feel, can be learned. I thought, i will never like a harder ball. But if i have to along my testings, i fall in love with harder balls. Little adjustments on distance controll with each ball.

But this section isn‘t an important part for me.

The important parts for me are chipping, pitching and my irons into the greens. I wan‘t attack the flags, no big roll outs. Another part is stability in the wind and durability.

I have only one ball, i have to say, i will never buy again, because if its durability. Cut Blue! Omg, horrible. Great Performance, but never seen such cuts after one or two irons...

My utopia ball: longer one with the driver, harder with the putter.

Perfect spin with my shots into the green, stops on a dime. Even with half swings from 100-30 Meter in... really confident with this ball!

Around the green the right spin for me, again i like to be a Little more aggressive to the flag.

And what i realised: how effects wind the different balls! This one is the most stable in the wind, amazing! Again i‘m so confident with this ball.

(Not with my swing ?)

The winner is: Srixon Z Star XV

The only bad thing: there isn‘t the offer dozen 20$ Or 2 for 1 in Europe..... Dear Srixon: change this! ?

Maxfli Tour. Awesome ball around the greens and long.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

Bridgestone B330 series (L)

DRIVER PING G425 MAX - 9° (SET TO 10.5°) - PING TOUR 65 X-STIFF 67.0g

3W PING G425 MAX - 14.5° - PING ALTA CB 65 SLATE X-STIFF 71.0 g

2i TITLEIST T-MB 718 - 17° - TRUE TEMPER AMT TOUR WHITE S300

4i-PW TITLEST AP2 718 - TRUE TEMPER AMT TOUR WHITE S300

50° TITLEIST AP2 718 BLACK - TRUE TEMPER AMT TOUR WHITE S300

56° & 60° TAYLORMADE HI-TOE - KBS HI-REV 2.0 120

PUTTER TAYLORMADE SPIDER EX BLUE

BALL BRIDGESTONE TOUR BX

> @monks66 said:

> > @Justsomeguy said:

> > > @Chadwickog said:

> > > I found it, it was called the Nike RZN Platinum. I have yet to find its replacement.

> >

> > Took the words right out of my mouth.

> > Platinum the best ball ever made.

>

> IMHO the Taylor Made LDP RED was the best ball ever made .....who can back me on that?

I can

> @shotmark said:

> > @monks66 said:

> > > @Justsomeguy said:

> > > > @Chadwickog said:

> > > > I found it, it was called the Nike RZN Platinum. I have yet to find its replacement.

> > >

> > > Took the words right out of my mouth.

> > > Platinum the best ball ever made.

> >

> > IMHO the Taylor Made LDP RED was the best ball ever made .....who can back me on that?

>

> I can

it was a great ball

I feel like the TP (non x) balls have all been quite similar to LDP Red in both performance and feel.

• Like 1
ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

I thought it was the DT TruSoft but liking this gen of the Callaway Supersoft

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I'm quite aware that my mind accumulates out-of-context experiences and assembles its own version of reality from them. We tend to see what we want to see, yada, yada, yada.

But having stuck to my long-time "utopia" Pro V1x for quite a few rounds lately, I am definitely accumulating lots of highly encouraging reinforcement towards my belief that it's the ideal ball for me. I had an unusually good round (by my poor standards) my last time out. A few shots stand out in memory and I really do suspect that they might not have played out quite the same with whatever random non-ProV1x ball I might happen to play from time to time.

One shot was a 6-iron off a tight lie with a bit of a downslope, over a pond to reach the green. With an inconsistent swing, low clubhead speed and generally low ballflight that's not the most inviting prospect. The minute the ball hit the club I just "knew" one of two things were going to happen. I caught it a bit thin and it came out low and hot. It was either going to hit the bank short of the green and maybe kick back into the pond or it was going to reach the green and run into the rough on the back side (really nasty wet rough).

But the Pro V1x, even with its low trajectory, hung in the air a bit longer than I expected and actually landed 2-3 onto the green. And then the real miracle was, even coming in on a very flat angle, it only rolled about 25 feet and stayed on the back of the green. I had a putt of 10 feet for birdie, getting away with a shot that easily could have resulted in a double-bogey.

Then later in the round I had to pitch the ball about 15 yards over a bunker, to a green running away from me. I gave it my best swing, popped the ball up in the air and then crossed my fingers that it would stop somewhere near the hole instead of either digging in or rolling over the green. It took one hop, settled down for a nice 10-12 foot rollout and stopped a couple feet from the hole. A similar long bunker shot (35 yards maybe?) on another hole also came out about as I planned it but then the roll worked out perfectly to leave me a tap-in par.

I really do believe that having played the same ball for hundreds of rounds over the years and for a couple dozen rounds here recently, there's a certain "magic" takes place where I can just hit the shot that I need to hit and my touch and feel will often make it work out just perfectly.

> @"North Butte" said:

> I'm quite aware that my mind accumulates out-of-context experiences and assembles its own version of reality from them. We tend to see what we want to see, yada, yada, yada.

>

> But having stuck to my long-time "utopia" Pro V1x for quite a few rounds lately, I am definitely accumulating lots of highly encouraging reinforcement towards my belief that it's the ideal ball for me. I had an unusually good round (by my poor standards) my last time out. A few shots stand out in memory and I really do suspect that they might not have played out quite the same with whatever random non-ProV1x ball I might happen to play from time to time.

>

> One shot was a 6-iron off a tight lie with a bit of a downslope, over a pond to reach the green. With an inconsistent swing, low clubhead speed and generally low ballflight that's not the most inviting prospect. The minute the ball hit the club I just "knew" one of two things were going to happen. I caught it a bit thin and it came out low and hot. It was either going to hit the bank short of the green and maybe kick back into the pond or it was going to reach the green and run into the rough on the back side (really nasty wet rough).

>

> But the Pro V1x, even with its low trajectory, hung in the air a bit longer than I expected and actually landed 2-3 onto the green. And then the real miracle was, even coming in on a very flat angle, it only rolled about 25 feet and stayed on the back of the green. I had a putt of 10 feet for birdie, getting away with a shot that easily could have resulted in a double-bogey.

>

> Then later in the round I had to pitch the ball about 15 yards over a bunker, to a green running away from me. I gave it my best swing, popped the ball up in the air and then crossed my fingers that it would stop somewhere near the hole instead of either digging in or rolling over the green. It took one hop, settled down for a nice 10-12 foot rollout and stopped a couple feet from the hole. A similar long bunker shot (35 yards maybe?) on another hole also came out about as I planned it but then the roll worked out perfectly to leave me a tap-in par.

>

> I really do believe that having played the same ball for hundreds of rounds over the years and for a couple dozen rounds here recently, there's a certain "magic" takes place where I can just hit the shot that I need to hit and my touch and feel will often make it work out just perfectly.

You are 100% correct when it comes to playing the same ball for a long period of time. You can automatically eliminate the ball as the culprit when you make a bad shot. I played the last couple rounds with the Bridgestone Tour B X because I thought it might be better than the Snell MTB-X, which I've been playing for the last 3-4 months. This is my fault because I'm always looking for a way to improve my game. After a couple 9 holes with the B X, I'm going back to the MTB-X. It ticks more of the boxes for me and I can predict exactly what it's going to do in many different circumstances. I am particularly found of how it behaves from 100 yards and in. Since I'm a senior golfer and not very long, I depend on my short game skills to keep me in the game. The MTB-X is the best ball 100 yards and in and it's not too shabby off the tee either.

> @gripandrip said:

> Favorite ball? 2016 Pro V1. But balls are so good these days, there are a number of different balls that I can play and be satisfied.

I think the above comment is very good. I think all golfers could play a variety of drivers, irons, wedges, putters, and balls and not lose a stroke. Technology is so good and equivalent, between manufacturers, that it makes it very easy to do so.

I also agree with playing one ball if possible, its hard for me, cuz I love trying new balls, but changing balls out never gives you a chance to get the feel of a ball and its behavior on the course. Playing different balls that may be softer or harder then one another is not good for consistency. I am so a feel player when it comes to my golf game..with that said, I grabbed some BRX's cheaper, i so hope i can stick with this ball :)

TM balls have been a mainstay in my bag since the LD/LDP Red & Blacks. My most loved ball is/was the Nike One Tour D, but due to lack of them being around and not a fan of NIke balls since they went RZN, TM Tour balls have been my go to. Doesn't hurt I get them as 1 hit wonders for $1 a ball.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line