2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2019 Pro V1

monks66

I never played the pro v1 because i didnt have the game for it, but I think the 2019 version has been tweeked to where a mid handi can play it and not be hurt by it. lower spin of driver and irons, but good wedge spin, I get the 5A Mints, so dont pay an arm and a leg for them, really like playing it, any thoughts?

I recently put this ball into play. I must say I was surprised at how much I didn't like it. Here's the strange part...it was killing me on the short game. I was having trouble getting it to stop. Go figure. Maybe I had a counterfeit one... I like to stop higher chips. Ball wouldn't have none of that. Short pitches seemed to just explode off the face. Looking forward to teeing up the trusty Z Star this Saturday morning...

> @monks66 said:

> > @Ski5280 said:

> > I think you’ll be fine with it as it’s a very balanced ball. I’ve been thinking of trying out the AVX. It apparently spins even less which could be beneficial.

>

> SO what ball do you currently play? pro v1?

I’ve been gaming the ProV1. I went ahead and tried the AVX yesterday though. The AVX performed really well for me off the tee and in the irons. The feel is a little different around the greens and the AVX didn’t seem to check up on pitches and chips as well as the ProV1 for me, but it was close enough that small adjustments could fix. I think they are both great balls, and I plan on giving the AVX a few more trials. I could definitely see myself putting the AVX in play on windy days since they claim to have slightly lesser spin. I’m curious to see what the head to head performance on those types of days will be like.

> @BeerPerHole said:

> I recently put this ball into play. I must say I was surprised at how much I didn't like it. Here's the strange part...it was killing me on the short game. I was having trouble getting it to stop. Go figure. Maybe I had a counterfeit one... I like to stop higher chips. Ball wouldn't have none of that. Short pitches seemed to just explode off the face. Looking forward to teeing up the trusty Z Star this Saturday morning...

Gotta love the Z Star

I have been a z-star player for many gens of the ball. Was given trial packs from the Titleist rep of the AVX and ProV1. The AVX was very surprising the look of the ball was cool looked fast. The soft feel around the greens is what I am after. Flight on full shots with wedges and irons were great and had a great flight. Response on the green was unnoticeable in that aspect of lower spin. Only notice I had between the AVX and ProV1 was with driver AVX had a noticeable lower flight and had would almost drop out of the sky. the ProV1 just had a little more air under it that would give me a few more yards of carry.

All in all the ProV1 is awesome and the AVX is right there I will be giving the future gens a try as they are released.

As for now the Z-star stays in play (price is kings!)

• 1 month later...

Monks, not sure what you mean not having the game for it. Everyone can play a Pro V1. Just a matter if they want to spend the money, which I get.

I am not a long hitter but still use a Pro V1 for the way it responds to my wedges. Never found a ball as consistent. From 50 yards in I know exactly what it will do. If I did switch to something else, I would pick one ball and stay with it for the same reason...,to know exactly what it will do on a pitch shot.

That is why I have never understood golfers who play a different ball every round. That works fine for full shots but I would think everyone would want to KNOW what their ball is going to do when they hit a 30 yard pitch.

> @james119 said:

> That is why I have never understood golfers who play a different ball every round. That works fine for full shots but I would think everyone would want to KNOW what their ball is going to do when they hit a 30 yard pitch.

I am as inconsistent as you'd expect from my 18.something handicap index but every time I settle in and use a single ball for a few months, it's amazing how much more often those fiddly little shots around the green end up close to the hole. I hit lots of short-game shots that are so skanky even a range ball wouldn't matter. But on the ones where I actually make good contact and hit the shot I want, it's remarkable how much more often they start finding their way close to the hole after I play maybe 50 rounds in a row with the same type ball.

> @james119 said:

> Monks, not sure what you mean not having the game for it. Everyone can play a Pro V1. Just a matter if they want to spend the money, which I get.

>

> I am not a long hitter but still use a Pro V1 for the way it responds to my wedges. Never found a ball as consistent. From 50 yards in I know exactly what it will do. If I did switch to something else, I would pick one ball and stay with it for the same reason...,to know exactly what it will do on a pitch shot.

>

> That is why I have never understood golfers who play a different ball every round. That works fine for full shots but I would think everyone would want to KNOW what their ball is going to do when they hit a 30 yard pitch.

i mean the pro v1 was high spinning on all shots from tee to green, but you are correct , they say you should pick a ball that you like from 50-100 yards in, the 2019 model has that lower spin off driver and long irons which makes me feel confident on those shots..

You might consider the AVX, it's a good golf ball, better than Titleist Tour balls. Only it's too pricey for its profile. I tested AVX for a month to see what's what and found it was similar to ProV1 off my driver but didn't behave like ProV1 off irons and around fast greens. I have played ProV1x and now ProV1 for a long time, and not likely to change unless they come out with a better version. Can't imagine how Titleist could accomplish that though, least so it's noticeable.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @Pepperturbo said:

> You might consider the AVX, it's a good golf ball, better than Titleist Tour balls. Only it's too pricey for its profile. I tested AVX for a month to see what's what and found it was similar to ProV1 off my driver but didn't behave like ProV1 off irons and around fast greens. I have played ProV1x and now ProV1 for a long time, and not likely to change unless they come out with a better version. Can't imagine how Titleist could accomplish that though, least so it's noticeable.

Hey, if Titleist could design a ball that out-ProV1's the ProV1 but still conforms with the Rules of Golf they'd release it tomorrow!

• Like 1

I’ve swapped to the X for the first time ever. It definitely spins more around the greens now.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

> @Bye said:

> I’ve swapped to the X for the first time ever. It definitely spins more around the greens now.

Pro V1x has been spinning more around the greens since at least 2013 (because it is a specific claim on the packaging starting in 2013), probably longer than that. Mostly likely since the 2009 version.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @Bye said:

> > I’ve swapped to the X for the first time ever. It definitely spins more around the greens now.

>

> Pro V1x has been spinning more around the greens since at least 2013 (because it is a specific claim on the packaging starting in 2013), probably longer than that. Mostly likely since the 2009 version.

You may well be right, I was under the impression that Titleist swapped things around with the 2017 ball with regards to spin. Personally I have found a difference with the most recent versions.

Titleist - Pro V1

> @Bye said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > > @Bye said:

> > > I’ve swapped to the X for the first time ever. It definitely spins more around the greens now.

> >

> > Pro V1x has been spinning more around the greens since at least 2013 (because it is a specific claim on the packaging starting in 2013), probably longer than that. Mostly likely since the 2009 version.

>

> You may well be right, I was under the impression that Titleist swapped things around with the 2017 ball with regards to spin. Personally I have found a difference with the most recent versions.

Yes, the Internet has been awash with that particular piece of incorrect information since the 2017 model first was announced. But if you look at the back of a 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2019 Pro V1 or Pro V1x box there is a little graphic comparing the two models. Since at least 2013 it has said the same thing, higher spin in the short game for Pro V1x.

I've also seen Titleist press releases and marketing material concerning the 2009 and 2011 versions which implied a similar relationship but since I can't find an actual info-graphic like they added in 2013 I consider those to be "likely" rather than absolutely true.

Your mileage may vary. But from Titleist's point of view they didn't "switch" anything. As far as I can suss out, it was remarks from a Titleist product manager saying that some Tour pros formerly playing Pro V1x had "switched" to Pro V1 starting with the 2017 version. That was the year they claim to have eliminated the small previous yardage difference between V1 and V1x as well as making them more similar in spin than they had been previously. But the ball characteristics did not "switch", that's entirely an internet and social media meme.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @Bye said:

> > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > @Bye said:

> > > > I’ve swapped to the X for the first time ever. It definitely spins more around the greens now.

> > >

> > > Pro V1x has been spinning more around the greens since at least 2013 (because it is a specific claim on the packaging starting in 2013), probably longer than that. Mostly likely since the 2009 version.

> >

> > You may well be right, I was under the impression that Titleist swapped things around with the 2017 ball with regards to spin. Personally I have found a difference with the most recent versions.

>

> Yes, the Internet has been awash with that particular piece of incorrect information since the 2017 model first was announced. But if you look at the back of a 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2019 Pro V1 or Pro V1x box there is a little graphic comparing the two models. Since at least 2013 it has said the same thing, higher spin in the short game for Pro V1x.

>

> I've also seen Titleist press releases and marketing material concerning the 2009 and 2011 versions which implied a similar relationship but since I can't find an actual info-graphic like they added in 2013 I consider those to be "likely" rather than absolutely true.

>

> Your mileage may vary. But from Titleist's point of view they didn't "switch" anything. As far as I can suss out, it was remarks from a Titleist product manager saying that some Tour pros formerly playing Pro V1x had "switched" to Pro V1 starting with the 2017 version. That was the year they claim to have eliminated the small previous yardage difference between V1 and V1x as well as making them more similar in spin than they had been previously. But the ball characteristics did not "switch", that's entirely an internet and social media meme.

I think Titleist dropped the ball (pardon the pun) with their marketing around the ball characteristics in recent years. Below is the article I read which prompted me to try the new version.

https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/02/26/know-the-differences-titleist-pro-v1-pro-v1x-golf-ball-equipment.html

It may not be accurate, I think Titleist managed to confuse most people on which ball does what.

Titleist - Pro V1

> @Bye said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > > @Bye said:

> > > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > > @Bye said:

> > > > > I’ve swapped to the X for the first time ever. It definitely spins more around the greens now.

> > > >

> > > > Pro V1x has been spinning more around the greens since at least 2013 (because it is a specific claim on the packaging starting in 2013), probably longer than that. Mostly likely since the 2009 version.

> > >

> > > You may well be right, I was under the impression that Titleist swapped things around with the 2017 ball with regards to spin. Personally I have found a difference with the most recent versions.

> >

> > Yes, the Internet has been awash with that particular piece of incorrect information since the 2017 model first was announced. But if you look at the back of a 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2019 Pro V1 or Pro V1x box there is a little graphic comparing the two models. Since at least 2013 it has said the same thing, higher spin in the short game for Pro V1x.

> >

> > I've also seen Titleist press releases and marketing material concerning the 2009 and 2011 versions which implied a similar relationship but since I can't find an actual info-graphic like they added in 2013 I consider those to be "likely" rather than absolutely true.

> >

> > Your mileage may vary. But from Titleist's point of view they didn't "switch" anything. As far as I can suss out, it was remarks from a Titleist product manager saying that some Tour pros formerly playing Pro V1x had "switched" to Pro V1 starting with the 2017 version. That was the year they claim to have eliminated the small previous yardage difference between V1 and V1x as well as making them more similar in spin than they had been previously. But the ball characteristics did not "switch", that's entirely an internet and social media meme.

>

>

> I think Titleist dropped the ball (pardon the pun) with their marketing around the ball characteristics in recent years. Below is the article I read which prompted me to try the new version.

>

> https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/02/26/know-the-differences-titleist-pro-v1-pro-v1x-golf-ball-equipment.html

>

> It may not be accurate, I think Titleist managed to confuse most people on which ball does what.

I saw that article at the time. Which is why I went back and looked at the 2013 and 2015 boxes (which I had on my shelf a couple years ago). Not sure why they say one thing in press releases and print the opposite on the box the balls come in. I assumed they were being misquoted or wrongly paraphrased in the article. Maybe they were just flat-out lying on the boxes, although I can't imagine why they would.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @Bye said:

> > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > @Bye said:

> > > > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > > > @Bye said:

> > > > > > I’ve swapped to the X for the first time ever. It definitely spins more around the greens now.

> > > > >

> > > > > Pro V1x has been spinning more around the greens since at least 2013 (because it is a specific claim on the packaging starting in 2013), probably longer than that. Mostly likely since the 2009 version.

> > > >

> > > > You may well be right, I was under the impression that Titleist swapped things around with the 2017 ball with regards to spin. Personally I have found a difference with the most recent versions.

> > >

> > > Yes, the Internet has been awash with that particular piece of incorrect information since the 2017 model first was announced. But if you look at the back of a 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2019 Pro V1 or Pro V1x box there is a little graphic comparing the two models. Since at least 2013 it has said the same thing, higher spin in the short game for Pro V1x.

> > >

> > > I've also seen Titleist press releases and marketing material concerning the 2009 and 2011 versions which implied a similar relationship but since I can't find an actual info-graphic like they added in 2013 I consider those to be "likely" rather than absolutely true.

> > >

> > > Your mileage may vary. But from Titleist's point of view they didn't "switch" anything. As far as I can suss out, it was remarks from a Titleist product manager saying that some Tour pros formerly playing Pro V1x had "switched" to Pro V1 starting with the 2017 version. That was the year they claim to have eliminated the small previous yardage difference between V1 and V1x as well as making them more similar in spin than they had been previously. But the ball characteristics did not "switch", that's entirely an internet and social media meme.

> >

> >

> > I think Titleist dropped the ball (pardon the pun) with their marketing around the ball characteristics in recent years. Below is the article I read which prompted me to try the new version.

> >

> > https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/02/26/know-the-differences-titleist-pro-v1-pro-v1x-golf-ball-equipment.html

> >

> > It may not be accurate, I think Titleist managed to confuse most people on which ball does what.

>

> I saw that article at the time. Which is why I went back and looked at the 2013 and 2015 boxes (which I had on my shelf a couple years ago). Not sure why they say one thing in press releases and print the opposite on the box the balls come in. I assumed they were being misquoted or wrongly paraphrased in the article. Maybe they were just flat-out lying on the boxes, although I can't imagine why they would.

Lol, I’ve just found some of the sales blurb from the 2015 version. It makes you wonder what they were up to if the boxes have something completely different printed on them.

https://golfsupport.com/golf-balls/premium-golf-balls/titleist-prov1-golf-balls3jmakeluxsdu.jpeg

Titleist - Pro V1

> @monks66 said:

> so, can it be said that the 2019 pro v1 is low spin off driver and long irons? I know it has good spin around green.. this is confusing with these balls.

>

Yes.

The V is now the low launch/lower spin version and the X is high launch/ higher spin + firmer feel.

Titleist - Pro V1

All modern balls are designed for low driver spin. > @monks66 said:

> so, can it be said that the 2019 pro v1 is low spin off driver and long irons? I know it has good spin around green.. this is confusing with these balls.

To minimize confusion, the easiest thing is just to take Titleist's word for it as written right on the box.

FEEL

V Softer <<>> X Soft

FlIGHT

V Mid <<>> X High

LONG GAME SPIN

V Low <<>> X Low

IRON SPIN

V Less <<>> X More

SHORT GAME SPIN

V High <<>> X Higher

So regardless of previous history, what you might hear from other golfers, etc. that right there lays out Titleiest's design specifications fo each ball now in 2019. If you experience something different, you must have a very strange swing.

I can't really tell the difference between the 2019 Pro V1 and V1x, now that they've switched it around somewhat and the V1x is now the highest spin ball and the V1 is mid-launch mid-spin, AVX low-low (am I getting that right?). I've been playing multiple balls this summer when nobody's on the course and definitely prefer both to the TP5X and AVX which do not spin enough for me from 6i up, though TP5X and AVX carry 5 or so more yards than expected.