2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How many have found their "utopia" golf ball?

jjfcpa

> @monks66 said:

> I also agree with playing one ball if possible, its hard for me, cuz I love trying new balls, but changing balls out never gives you a chance to get the feel of a ball and its behavior on the course. Playing different balls that may be softer or harder then one another is not good for consistency. I am so a feel player when it comes to my golf game..with that said, I grabbed some BRX's cheaper, i so hope i can stick with this ball :)

I like to try different balls because I'm always looking for one better than the one I'm using. I bet I've tried 10-15 different balls during the last year. I'll use one for a couple rounds only to realize that it's not as good as the one I'm using. I should have learned my lesson, but I'm a sucker for a new ball.

I played Titleist balata 90 compression for as long as I remember. When the Professional came out, I then found my "utopia" ball. I LOVED that ball!!!! It did everything I wanted it to do. Then the ProV 1 came out...... $50+ for a dozen balls???? BOYCOTT!!! Preceded to fall in love with the first generation Nike Tour Accuracy. loved that ball too but then Nike decided to come out with the TA2 which was crap in my opinion. Then I got hooked on the Precept EV Extra Spin and that got discontinued... Been playing the ProV1 X with no complaints and would like to give the Snell and Vice a shot.

> @MBBG said:

> I feel like the TP (non x) balls have all been quite similar to LDP Red in both performance and feel.

Completely agree! Loved, loved, loved the original TP Red. Been playing XVs for the last 3 plus years and messed around with the MTB-X this year (good ball, just couldn't get passed feel). For the last month I have been messing around only with the TP5 (2019). I continued to be blown away. Every round reinforces my thoughts about it from previous rounds. It just keeps performing consistently and the feel is perfect imo. Performance wise reminded me a lot of the old Red. Taylormade is on to something with the TP5 balls.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

I had my utopia ball, Taylormade tour preferred X. Ball was prefect for me. TP5 series has been good but not great like that ball. I play everything now, mainly TP5x, but nothing matches that ball. Maybe the new ProV1x will.

Dr. Sim2 8° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° and 19° w/ Diamana 70x

Ui. Callaway x forged ut 21° w/ dg120 x100

4 to GW. Mizuno Pro 223 w/ dg120 x100

SW and Lw. 54° and 58° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

Putter. Odyssey OG 1ws, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

I think I’ve finally settled on the Q Star Tour. I actually prefer a firmer ball, but need to knock the spin down as much as possible as I tend to hit the ball too high with too much spin. QST is just great all around for my swing and my game.

AVX worked just as well for me, if not slightly better, but I have a hard time justifying the price difference. I’ll probably try the new left dash ProV1, but again, the price will likely keep me away from it unless it truly is a unicorn for me.

> @lchang said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > Chrome Soft X off the tee, Pro V1 everywhere else.

>

> So do you switch balls after your tee shot?! :p

>

Ha, don’t I wish! I just note that I play a lot of two ball, worst ball practice rounds with the two different balls. The X is usually best off the tee, and the V is best after that.

I want to STRONGLY suggest that everyone ought to try picking a ball and then literally never hit a single shot with any other ball for some extended period of time. Maybe 40-50 rounds in a row playing the same model. It's just amazing how much feel you can develop for how the ball will react to each swing, even moreso to short game shots around the greens.

I had a three more shots last week where I couldn't actually see where the ball ended up (view blocked by bunkers or slopes in front of the green) but I just "knew" as soon as I hit it where it was going to land and then follow the green contours. All three times when I got to the green my feeling was correct within a few feet.

One was a 6-iron into a bit of a breeze that landed just a few yards over a bunker, then kicked off the slight downslope (the one caused by years of accumulated sand from the bunker) and tracked straight at the hole, stopping about 10 feet short.

Another was on the exact same hole except to a back-left pin position and I was hitting a PW. It landed hole high and rolled left off the ridge that bisects the green. I actually expected that one to finish extremely close to the hole but when i got to the green it had stopped about 5-6 feet away (and I missed the darned putt!).

The final one was a LW out of the rough to a very uphill green. It was only 66 yards but the green was 10+ feet above me and I could not see the bottom half of the flag. While it was in the air I pictured it landing near the hole but running out a little because the ball wouldn't spin out of the rough. A guy I was playing with said I missed flying it in the hole by inches but then it rolled about 8 feet past (no spin).

• Like 1

> @"North Butte" said:

> I want to STRONGLY suggest that everyone ought to try picking a ball and then literally never hit a single shot with any other ball for some extended period of time. Maybe 40-50 rounds in a row playing the same model. It's just amazing how much feel you can develop for how the ball will react to each swing, even moreso to short game shots around the greens.

>

> I had a three more shots last week where I couldn't actually see where the ball ended up (view blocked by bunkers or slopes in front of the green) but I just "knew" as soon as I hit it where it was going to land and then follow the green contours. All three times when I got to the green my feeling was correct within a few feet.

>

> One was a 6-iron into a bit of a breeze that landed just a few yards over a bunker, then kicked off the slight downslope (the one caused by years of accumulated sand from the bunker) and tracked straight at the hole, stopping about 10 feet short.

>

> Another was on the exact same hole except to a back-left pin position and I was hitting a PW. It landed hole high and rolled left off the ridge that bisects the green. I actually expected that one to finish extremely close to the hole but when i got to the green it had stopped about 5-6 feet away (and I missed the darned putt!).

>

> The final one was a LW out of the rough to a very uphill green. It was only 66 yards but the green was 10+ feet above me and I could not see the bottom half of the flag. While it was in the air I pictured it landing near the hole but running out a little because the ball wouldn't spin out of the rough. A guy I was playing with said I missed flying it in the hole by inches but then it rolled about 8 feet past (no spin).

I cant agree more, I am trying to find that ball, what ball do you hit North?

Pro V1x.

That's been my "utopia" ball since late 2013 but I have, from time to time, gone away from it and returned. For nearly a year I used the Chrome Soft Truvis (when they first came out). Then back to Pro V1x. Then a little over a year with B330 (which I could source far, far cheaper) but back to Pro V1x. Most recently a year and a half with AVX before getting tired of the occasional artifacts of its lower spin off irons and wedges.

So now I'm firmly back in Pro V1x utopia. I'd say something like 400 of the 750 or so rounds I've played in the past six-plus years have been with 2013, 2015 or 2019 Pro V1x. And now the most recent version is available in yellow which was the only drawback (other than price). I'm good!

> @"North Butte" said:

> Pro V1x.

>

> That's been my "utopia" ball since late 2013 but I have, from time to time, gone away from it and returned. For nearly a year I used the Chrome Soft Truvis (when they first came out). Then back to Pro V1x. Then a little over a year with B330 (which I could source far, far cheaper) but back to Pro V1x. Most recently a year and a half with AVX before getting tired of the occasional artifacts of its lower spin off irons and wedges.

>

> So now I'm firmly back in Pro V1x utopia. I'd say something like 400 of the 750 or so rounds I've played in the past six-plus years have been with 2013, 2015 or 2019 Pro V1x. And now the most recent version is available in yellow which was the only drawback (other than price). I'm good!

I think you are correct on playing the same ball for many successive rounds. I've been doing that with the Snell balls and every once in a while I throw a different ball in there for a couple rounds to see what happens. Still waiting for something that plays better.

I had an absolutely awful ball-striking day today (with the Pro V1x, it wasn't the ball!). But again with the uncanny distance control and predictability of wedge shots. I had a 66 yard LW and a 105 yard PW that I hit just like I wanted and they rolled up stone dead to the hole. Another 74-yarder I just new was going to come up short, sure enough I had to putt from 10 feet short of the hole. And a couple of not-easy shorter pitch shots out of the rough the ball took the perfect bounce in the fringe and got hole high.

Sure that was a freaky run of good luck in part. And I have been working on my wedge and short game a good bit lately. But knowing whether the ball will check a little or totally grab or kick forward a lot takes many, many shots hit with the same ball over time.

> @"North Butte" said:

> Pro V1x.

>

> That's been my "utopia" ball since late 2013 but I have, from time to time, gone away from it and returned. For nearly a year I used the Chrome Soft Truvis (when they first came out). Then back to Pro V1x. Then a little over a year with B330 (which I could source far, far cheaper) but back to Pro V1x. Most recently a year and a half with AVX before getting tired of the occasional artifacts of its lower spin off irons and wedges.

>

> So now I'm firmly back in Pro V1x utopia. I'd say something like 400 of the 750 or so rounds I've played in the past six-plus years have been with 2013, 2015 or 2019 Pro V1x. And now the most recent version is available in yellow which was the only drawback (other than price). I'm good!

so glad someone found their utiopia ball...i am trying...have it narrowed down though...the prices on the BRX's is confessing me, getting prior gens for $25

> @monks66 said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > Pro V1x.

> >

> > That's been my "utopia" ball since late 2013 but I have, from time to time, gone away from it and returned. For nearly a year I used the Chrome Soft Truvis (when they first came out). Then back to Pro V1x. Then a little over a year with B330 (which I could source far, far cheaper) but back to Pro V1x. Most recently a year and a half with AVX before getting tired of the occasional artifacts of its lower spin off irons and wedges.

> >

> > So now I'm firmly back in Pro V1x utopia. I'd say something like 400 of the 750 or so rounds I've played in the past six-plus years have been with 2013, 2015 or 2019 Pro V1x. And now the most recent version is available in yellow which was the only drawback (other than price). I'm good!

>

> so glad someone found their utiopia ball...i am trying...have it narrowed down though...the prices on the BRX's is confessing me, getting prior gens for $25

When the 2014 version of the original B330 started hitting eBay in the early 2016 I was in the middle of a horrible spell of losing my $4 Titleists. I bought an initial batch of several dozen for something like $22/dozen and at one point even found a batch of six dozen more for around 100 bucks ($16.something a dozen). It's not often but as you're finding now they do get down around $2/ball brand new.

> @jjfcpa said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > Pro V1x.

> >

> > That's been my "utopia" ball since late 2013 but I have, from time to time, gone away from it and returned. For nearly a year I used the Chrome Soft Truvis (when they first came out). Then back to Pro V1x. Then a little over a year with B330 (which I could source far, far cheaper) but back to Pro V1x. Most recently a year and a half with AVX before getting tired of the occasional artifacts of its lower spin off irons and wedges.

> >

> > So now I'm firmly back in Pro V1x utopia. I'd say something like 400 of the 750 or so rounds I've played in the past six-plus years have been with 2013, 2015 or 2019 Pro V1x. And now the most recent version is available in yellow which was the only drawback (other than price). I'm good!

>

> I think you are correct on playing the same ball for many successive rounds. I've been doing that with the Snell balls and every once in a while I throw a different ball in there for a couple rounds to see what happens. Still waiting for something that plays better.

by reading your diff posts, you sound like you like the MTB-X, so dont second guess yourself, just stick with it. as far as me, part of the fun of golf for me is the equipment side, looking at new irons, balls...whatever. So, i love trying new balls out, just part of game...soo i hope I will find that utopia ball someday soon because you do truly need to play the same ball to gage your game..

> @monks66 said:

> ok need Golfwrx community help, down to a few balls to reach utopia...lol

> pick your fav..

> Tour BRX

> Callaway Chrome Soft

> Srixon Z-star

> Kirkland KP1(if they fix issue)

> Tour BX( if it isnt too hard)

>

> Go at it my friends, give me feedback

>

> lile

DT TruSoft

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

> @monks66 said:

> > @jjfcpa said:

> > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > Pro V1x.

> > >

> > > That's been my "utopia" ball since late 2013 but I have, from time to time, gone away from it and returned. For nearly a year I used the Chrome Soft Truvis (when they first came out). Then back to Pro V1x. Then a little over a year with B330 (which I could source far, far cheaper) but back to Pro V1x. Most recently a year and a half with AVX before getting tired of the occasional artifacts of its lower spin off irons and wedges.

> > >

> > > So now I'm firmly back in Pro V1x utopia. I'd say something like 400 of the 750 or so rounds I've played in the past six-plus years have been with 2013, 2015 or 2019 Pro V1x. And now the most recent version is available in yellow which was the only drawback (other than price). I'm good!

> >

> > I think you are correct on playing the same ball for many successive rounds. I've been doing that with the Snell balls and every once in a while I throw a different ball in there for a couple rounds to see what happens. Still waiting for something that plays better.

>

> by reading your diff posts, you sound like you like the MTB-X, so dont second guess yourself, just stick with it. as far as me, part of the fun of golf for me is the equipment side, looking at new irons, balls...whatever. So, i love trying new balls out, just part of game...soo i hope I will find that utopia ball someday soon because you do truly need to play the same ball to gage your game..

I love this post. I'm a golf junkie and love trying new stuff... but lately, I've become paranoid about changes because I've been playing so well and everything is clicking. Scary. That won't stop me from looking and considering new stuff.

> @monks66 said:

> ok need Golfwrx community help, down to a few balls to reach utopia...lol

> pick your fav..

> Tour BRX

> Callaway Chrome Soft

> Srixon Z-star

> Kirkland KP1(if they fix issue)

> Tour BX( if it isnt too hard)

>

> Go at it my friends, give me feedback

>

> lile

Of those you listed, I'd go with the B RX. The value pick would be the Kirkland 3-pc. Two guys in my office are playing it and it's definitely working for them.

Ive been really loving the 2019 Pro V1 this year. Have played Z stars for the most part over the last few years but im sticking with the Pro V1 now. Really checks all the boxes for me.

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

For several years it's been the Zstar, but lately I've been shooting really great rounds with the B330-RX & RXS. It might lack some of the stopping power that I've grown used to(a little more run-out), but everywhere else it's been phenomenal. I want to say its like a tour distance ball, if that makes sense.

B330 RXS, 2016 model is my ball of choice at the moment, and it's usage directly coincides with the best ballstriking rounds of my 33yo life. A recent grip change and several equipment variances factor into this as well, but I have a hunch at least 20% of said success is ball-related!

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I loved the TM Tour Preferred X. When I ran out I went to the TP5x and TP5 but they just aren't the same. I have since switched to the Z-Star XV and am satisfied for now. It's definitely not a "utopia" ball but it's the best of the bunch for me right now. Also, like many have mentioned, I have been trying to stick to the same ball and it's paying off, so unless I find another Tour Preferred X type ball, I'm good with the XV.

• 3 weeks later...

Bridgesone Tour BX <3

DRIVER PING G425 MAX - 9° (SET TO 10.5°) - PING TOUR 65 X-STIFF 67.0g

3W PING G425 MAX - 14.5° - PING ALTA CB 65 SLATE X-STIFF 71.0 g

2i TITLEIST T-MB 718 - 17° - TRUE TEMPER AMT TOUR WHITE S300

4i-PW TITLEST AP2 718 - TRUE TEMPER AMT TOUR WHITE S300

50° TITLEIST AP2 718 BLACK - TRUE TEMPER AMT TOUR WHITE S300

56° & 60° TAYLORMADE HI-TOE - KBS HI-REV 2.0 120

PUTTER TAYLORMADE SPIDER EX BLUE

BALL BRIDGESTONE TOUR BX