3+ Wedge Users - The more, the merrier or certain wedge for certain shots?

BetterAtBingo

The biggest thing is finding what you are comfy with and what works for you. I have 4 pw,gw,sw and lw. Depending on things each has a specific use, unless other things dictate it. I learned this from trial and error and practice.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Based upon the responses, I may look to add a 52 or 53 for next season since I only carry 13 clubs at the moment.

Tour  M2 RipTide MX 70 | Mavrik 4 Wood Rogue 70 | Callaway '16 Apex RipTide MX 105  | Callaway '16 Apex HC Hzrdus 105 | Titleist 718 AP1 SF 95 | TM MG3 53° / MG3 TW 57° Heppler TYNE 3

Like many above I carry a 47/52/56/60 combo. It doesn't mess with my head at all. I never feel like I'm agonizing over which wedge to use.

47- 140 full, 130 flighted, 120 3/4 held off/cutty, 110 half shot knockdown for wind

52 - 120 full, 110 little, 100-110 3/4 knock down

56- 105 full rip back, 90 3/4 stop or slight back up and then everything from greenside chips to 90 pitches, longer bunker shots - my most used wedge

60- 90 full rip back - don't use this that much, 75 3/4 stopper, and then any front pin pitch inside of that. All my greenside bunker shots or shortsided chips.

> @balls_deep said:

> Like many above I carry a 47/52/56/60 combo. It doesn't mess with my head at all. I never feel like I'm agonizing over which wedge to use.

>

> 47- 140 full, 130 flighted, 120 3/4 held off/cutty, 110 half shot knockdown for wind

> 52 - 120 full, 110 little, 100-110 3/4 knock down

> 56- 105 full rip back, 90 3/4 stop or slight back up and then everything from greenside chips to 90 pitches, longer bunker shots - my most used wedge

> 60- 90 full rip back - don't use this that much, 75 3/4 stopper, and then any front pin pitch inside of that. All my greenside bunker shots or shortsided chips.

I think it's a personality trait, not a matter of what clubs in your bag. There are some people for whom a "choice" or "option" during a round of golf is a reason to get doubtful, nervous or to overthink things. And there are others who when faced with a "choice" tend to view it as having one simple and obvious option so they just ignore the others unless there's some specific reason to look for an alternative.

When discussing golf course architecture, some people will insist that if you leave a green wide open with neither side protected by a bunker or if you mow down the rough to make missing the fairway 40 yards left or right not much worse than hitting the fairway, then the "options" will put doubt in the mind of the golfer and make the shot harder. Which is preposterous but some commentators have a mental image of golfers who get nervous and flaky when not faced with a clear do-or-die situation.

I think the "confusion" from having four or five wedges instead of two or three falls in that same category. It only really applies to a very small number of people who, for whatever reason, are predisposed to dither over real or imagined choices rather than just plowing ahead with their stock shot 99% of the time.

I am using 5. Mostly because of the set. PW(44), GW (48) Md forged 52, MD4 in 56 and 60. The set wedges are for full swings, and the rest is for mostly partial shots.

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 9* with Oban Isawa 55
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3hl and 5-wood with Aldila NVS
Callaway Ai smoke TD 7-wood with Aldila NVS
Callaway Ai Smoke 5h with Project X Cypher
Callaway Apex Pro  6-AW irons with Nippon Modus 105
Callaway Jaws Raw 52 with Nippon Modus 105
Callaway Jaws Raw 56 with Nippon Modus 105
Toulon LeMans or Ai Mini Jailbird

There is another factor here to possibly consider:

A "rule of thumb" (and a VERY GENERAL rule...of which there are always exceptions) for gaping clubs/wedges is about 4 degrees. That usually lends to roughly 10-12 yards of distance between clubs on full shots. So it's nice to have the 4 degree/10 yard gap to make choosing clubs for shot distances easier.

However, that's only at a certain swing speed. If you aren't blessed with and abundance of swing speed, then the 4 degree difference starts to compress down in terms of yardage gap. That's where a 5 or 6 degree gap between wedges might be more beneficial.

My mother just purchased a new Ping G Le2 set, and is using the full set of wedges from that:

9i: 40

PW: 45

UW (gap): 52 <- this one I don't get

SW: 58

The understanding is that at the slower swing speed, the distances between the wedges are probably 10ish yards with a 5-7 degree loft difference. So, I can imagine that if you want a consistent yardage gap between your wedges, but have a slower swing speed, then you will need more loft differential between wedges, and therefore might not need to carry more than 3.

I tried the Ping 2.0 52 deg wedge and found it to be very useful in my current setup. I really like the sole interaction through the turf and the fact that it has a nice dull (brushed) finish.

Tour  M2 RipTide MX 70 | Mavrik 4 Wood Rogue 70 | Callaway '16 Apex RipTide MX 105  | Callaway '16 Apex HC Hzrdus 105 | Titleist 718 AP1 SF 95 | TM MG3 53° / MG3 TW 57° Heppler TYNE 3

Not a single mention of bounce in this thread. 4 wedges, 4 bounce options. PW/GW both mid bounce, use them interchanably depending on how fast greens are and how much height/runout I need. SW high bounce - fluffy bunkers, bad lies, long grass etc. LW low bounce for tight lies and everything else.

Those who run into issues making choices when using more wedges need to compartmentalize their thoughts and break down the shot - the correct club will then appear in your mind.

I have 46 set wedge, 50 low bounce, 54 high bounce and 58 hi-toe atv. I'm comfortable playing all of them as a full shot which gives me good gapping from 140ish to 100ish yards but if I'm within 80 yards I will almost always choose the 58 and play it in different ways. I don't know if it's the shaft or the hi-toe itself but it's easy to flight low, easy out of the bunker and easy to get up in the air if I need to. I have such limited time to practice it's a lot easier for me to try and focus on getting comfortable with different shots with one club than to get comfortable with different shots with multiple clubs. I also am a realist with my golf game which helps with the expectations. If I'm 62 yards out and I end up 10 yards from the pin I don't beat myself up about it, I take the two putt and move on. If the pin is six feet onto the green and I'm chipping over a bunker I'm probably just going to play it to land on the green and release long instead of trying to hit the super high lob shot that gives me a better chance at the up and down if I execute it well. My "realistic" expectations provide a lot less stress/worry in my decision making with what club I use because my acceptable result is more easily achievable.

> @rt_charger said:

> Not a single mention of bounce in this thread. 4 wedges, 4 bounce options. PW/GW both mid bounce, use them interchanably depending on how fast greens are and how much height/runout I need. SW high bounce - fluffy bunkers, bad lies, long grass etc. LW low bounce for tight lies and everything else.

>

> Those who run into issues making choices when using more wedges need to compartmentalize their thoughts and break down the shot - the correct club will then appear in your mind.

I use all the bounce I can get. Nothing in my short game requires low or medium bounce. I'm not ever trying to slide the leading edge under the ball.

In my Vokey wedges there's only one option in the 46 but in the 50 and 54 I go with the higher bounce full grinds and in the 60 I go with either D grind which is high bounce with heel and toe relief or K grind which is high bounce, wide sole and no relief. I don't ever feel like I'm missing anything by not carrying a low bounce wedge.

I personally think it’s crazy, for most golfers, to sacrifice a wedge for another longer club. If I miss a green or play a course with a lot of shots 100 and in, I want to be able to hit every possible shot.

I’m a big believer though that modern iron sets should design the PW to be 50 degrees with equal gaps down to a 22 degree 4 iron. Most players don’t need such tight distance gaps, especially in the long irons. I’m sure OEM’s would hate this idea though because they’d technically sell less clubs (no gap wedges). There are also those players who’d be turned off by hitting their PW “shorter”.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> I personally think it’s crazy, for most golfers, to sacrifice a wedge for another longer club. If I miss a green or play a course with a lot of shots 100 and in, I want to be able to hit every possible shot.

>

> I’m a big believer though that modern iron sets should design the PW to be 50 degrees with equal gaps down to a 22 degree 4 iron. Most players don’t need such tight distance gaps, especially in the long irons. I’m sure OEM’s would hate this idea though because they’d technically sell less clubs (no gap wedges). There are also those players who’d be turned off by hitting their PW “shorter”.

This so many times over. I would take this set with a 54 sand wedge and a 58 lob wedge every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-P Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Ping PLD DS72

Titleist Pro V1

> @rt_charger said:

> Not a single mention of bounce in this thread. 4 wedges, 4 bounce options. PW/GW both mid bounce, use them interchanably depending on how fast greens are and how much height/runout I need. SW high bounce - fluffy bunkers, bad lies, long grass etc. LW low bounce for tight lies and everything else.

>

> Those who run into issues making choices when using more wedges need to compartmentalize their thoughts and break down the shot - the correct club will then appear in your mind.

You make an excellent point about bounce. I am still learning the nuances of the game but bounce and sole interaction is very high on my list. As for the compartmentalization aspect, easier said than done. :#

Don’t worry about what loft you have. Honestly... it doesn’t matter that much. Think about, “what trajectory will get me closest to the hole?”. Then pick the wedge that best produces that shot.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

> @ago33 said:

> Don’t worry about what loft you have. Honestly... it doesn’t matter that much. Think about, “what trajectory will get me closest to the hole?”. Then pick the wedge that best produces that shot.

Don't better players have the ability to "flight" a shot with just about any club? Proper loft = proper distance gapping, no?

> @BetterAtBingo said:

> > @rt_charger said:

> > Not a single mention of bounce in this thread. 4 wedges, 4 bounce options. PW/GW both mid bounce, use them interchanably depending on how fast greens are and how much height/runout I need. SW high bounce - fluffy bunkers, bad lies, long grass etc. LW low bounce for tight lies and everything else.

> >

> > Those who run into issues making choices when using more wedges need to compartmentalize their thoughts and break down the shot - the correct club will then appear in your mind.

>

> You make an excellent point about bounce. I am still learning the nuances of the game but bounce and sole interaction is very high on my list. As for the compartmentalization aspect, easier said than done. :#

Bounce is extremely important in allowing you execute a shot from any lie (including sole grind). Those who arent worried about what bounce likely isn't using it very much or are rather simple with their short game.

As to compartmentalizing, just try to tackle each aspect one at a time like a maths problem - is my lie fluffy or tight, do I have to get over something, do i have much green to work with? Is it downhill? So on....

Once you answer those questions you will be left with the exact shot required to get you closest to the hole. From there it's a matter of looking at your wedges and determining which club gives you the ability to play that shot (like you aren't playing a high lofted drop and stop shot off a tight lie with a high bounce sand wedge). Seems complicated and a lot of information, but break it down and it becomes straight forward.

I'm a 16hcp, so yeah.

**50 - gap wedge - older Mizuno forged**

- Mainly to fill the gap on approach shots. 90-110yds.

- I also use this wedge on uphill chip and pitch shots, it gives me just a bit more roll than the 54, with the same stroke.

**54 - sand wedge (low bounce) - SM-7 08 M-grind**

- This is my go-to for all chips, pitches, and flops. This is the club I've worked to develop a feel for. Love this club.

- Approach shots 0-90 yds

**58 - lob wedge SM-7 12 D-grind**

- High-bounce monster. I use it in fluffy and spongy stuff.

- Also on the occasional 80 yd approach.

- I don't really know this club well yet. (most recent purchase)

Set PW, 52/56/60. The 52 is almost always a full swing club. The 60 I use for almost everything inside 40 yards, it’s just so versatile. 56 is my full swing 100y club/knockdown club between 40 and 100.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

For me carrying three wedges is a gapping issue. While there is some benefit around the greens which allows me to hit different shots, it's really about how modern clubs are lofted for me. I play the Ping i200 which are moderately lofted, with the PW at 45*. Hence, I need to start my first wedge in the 49/50 range. I carry my driver 250-270 which trickles down to my PW which I hit about 135. I want a lob wedge, so if I didn't carry a 54* I would have a 15 degrees between PW and LW.

20 years ago (42 now and 8hcp) the clubs had weaker lofts, so I had Driver, 3 and 5-wood before going in to the irons in order to handle shots from >200 yards. Now I hit my 4-iron 200 yards so that's not an issue anymore and for 220 yards I play a G400 Crossover at 19* instead of trying to smack a 2-iron as I did back then. Obviously having a 60* helps me land short shots more softly and consistently than opening up my old 56* sandwedge, so there are other benefits as well.

Really good stuff! It's more than likely I will add at least one more wedge to help with the shots from 110 - 90 yards.

45/50/54/58 and really don't have any confusions arise even though I can use each of these clubs within 100, but some get used more often is all.

45- 130-135 full swings, long running chips, choke down high cuts to about 110, green side chips

50 - 120-125 full swings, longer green side bunker shots, choke down shots to 105-110, greenside chips

54- 110-115 full swings, open stance for 85-95 yard pitches, higher launching bunker shots, flops, low spinners, green side chips

58 - 90-100 full swings, choke down pitches 75-85, bunkers, hard pan flops, green side chips

The only time I really get stuck on shots is when I need right at a 100-105 shot as it is in between a really solid full swing 58 (which I can do but am not terribly fond of) or a choke down soft 54 which I tend to decelerate on and get flippy. I love having the different lofts, grinds, and bounce levels however for shots within 100 yards. My 54 and 58 are my go-to's within 75 yards, however, I practice enough to know I can use any of my wedges, just have to become familiarized first.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

My strategy has typically been gobs of bounce on the LW @ 60 for most versatility around greens (with plenty of heel relief), and lower bounce strong SW @ 54 for more straight forward shots from fairway and longer bunker shots and chips where I'm unlikely to need the bounce (or even want) the bounce as much. My pitch (at the moment an "Attack") wedge is an extension of my iron set as I generally dont use it for versatility

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

I think I am echoing what a lot have said. Each club has specific purposes, but some of them overlap.

The 51 and PW (or even a 9 iron) are my bump and run clubs. They also gets full and 3/4 swings. The 51 is occasionally used for a long bunker shot with TONS of green.

59 is never hit more that 3/4 and is a specialty club. Lobs, high pitches, etc. It is never used from a bunker unless faced with a crazy shot... Like a buried or fried egg lie to a close cut pin and the green slopes away. And even then it has to be a "do or die" type moment.

55 is my all around club. Full swings to pitches, my "go to" out of a bunker, chips, etc.

G430 LST 10.5* (Ventus Velocore Black 5S)
SIM2 MAX 15* (Ventus Blue 6S)

G425 7w (Tensei RO 75S)
G430 4h (Tour 2.0 85S)

T300 5-P, 48 (PX LZ 6.0)
SM9 Raw 54s (@53) (DGS200)

SM9 Raw 58s (DG Spinner)

Newport 2 Studio Style

4 Wedges,

P 46* Srixon Z785 = Stock full shots (125 yds), almost never around green

A (gap) 50* Srixon Z785 = chips around green, lots of check for a gap wedge

S Vokey SM6 56* M grind = pitches from rough, sand shots on upslope

L Vokey SM6 60* L Grind = pitches from closely cut areas, sand shots from flat or minor upslopes

I carry 46, 50, 54 & 60 but I only use the 60 around the greens. Rather than try to get cute with different clubs I just want to be really good with one club. I dropped a club up top and added a wedge down low because I had a tendency to pull my 46* when trying to take something off. So I added the 50* so I could play those shots with a full swing instead.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

My course is 6600-6800 from the tips on any given day and I'm longer than most people, so I see greater value carrying more wedges than having a larger selection on the other end of the bag. I carry a 22* 4 iron and then have 4* gaps all the way to my gap wedge at 50*. GW and PW are low bounce mostly for full shots though I do chip with the GW often. I then have a 56* bent to 55* which I use for everything. Full shots at about 108-113 yards or low pitches from 15 yards. Really versatile with a mid bounce. I round the set out with a very low bounce 60* that allows me to hit just about any kind of shot I need to. Can still get a nice full shot out of it 85-95 yds, but it's deadly out of the sand with the kind of swing I take. I experimented with a higher bounce 60*, but the low bouce seems to work best.

If you're counting a PW as a wedge, I find that a PW, 56 & 60 are necessary just for different approach shots (135, 110, 95ish). Around the green I really only switch between 56/60 depending on how much I would like (more like wish, I'm not the greatest wedge player) to release. Otherwise I keep it pretty simple, but even this lends itself to 3 wedges.

Great thread - there are so many options my head's been spinning! My old clubs had 2-9, PW, and SW and I never heard about bounce before. My new clubs go 2 lengths longer so I added a GW. PW = 46 deg so I ordered a 51 and 56. Plan is to use 51 for full-ish swings, and my 56/10 to replace my old <50yd scalpel of same loft/bounce.

But I could see going with 56 high bounce for sand/soft and 60 low bounce for green-side shots. I was taught to finesse the SW with open face, open stance, and handsy work so went with low bounce SW. Changing irons after 20 years is enough to get used to so didn't want to re-think strategy as well, but using a 60 and reducing finesse sounds less risky.