2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Philly Area Memberships

Bre9327

> @" bnr204" said:

> same to hear what's happened at philmont. i played there in september 2017 (what's that maybe 2 years into concert's takeover?) and was very satisfied with the quality and condition of the golf course. how did the super lose the greens? cut them too tight for the NE heat/humidity/rain?

Greens are 70/30 Poa/Bent mix. Whatever chemicals were put down to prevent fungus right before the high heat/heavy rain was either a bad batch or the wrong chemical to put down. They also claim they skipped aeration in the spring (but I remember aerification taking place the Monday after the first GAP match). A lot of this is a direct result of Concert's managment. The South was closed this year and we were told that the $400k budget for the South Course would be used on the North course, since we had some issues with our greens last year. That didn't happen. We never see any grounds staff working on the course during the week/weekend, other than occasionally 1 person cutting the rough/fairways. I played two early rounds on weekends where the bunkers were not even prepped and had to play a ball out of a footprint (it looked like some kids had a dance party in it the night before). So either headcount was reduced on the grounds crew or they aren't doing a good job at replacing staff that left.

An update email went out last night. 9 greens are now closed - with 5 temporaries and using the 4 holes they have kept open on the South for practice. Members are getting a portion of the dues as pro shop credit. We can play a few local courses at reduced greens fees (out of our pockets). And the 6x monthly restriction on times at White Manor has been lifted (I'm sure the WM members will be thrilled). Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm looking forward to checking out Commonwealth this weekend.

> @Evolved said:

> Dunning is now at Applebrook

> Philmont is intentionally letting the course go

> White Manor intentionally over sells memberships as they are trying to generate as much cash as possible in a short time. New members can't even get a decent tee time on the weekends at White Manor. Still love the course though.

Philmont has (or should say had) 450 members, but very few are full dues paying memberships. Most are Jr members coming in a stupid low rates (their advertisement is rates starting at $275/mo). They are some how still signing up members so the incentives must be too good to pass up.

> @dankil13 said:

> > @" bnr204" said:

> > same to hear what's happened at philmont. i played there in september 2017 (what's that maybe 2 years into concert's takeover?) and was very satisfied with the quality and condition of the golf course. how did the super lose the greens? cut them too tight for the NE heat/humidity/rain?

>

> I'm looking forward to checking out Commonwealth this weekend.

So many great options in this area.

I'm looking at different clubs for next year as well. I've been at Talamore for the last 5 years and while there are a lot of great things about Talamore, I just can't stand all the OB and hazards. I just don't hit the ball straight enough anymore and need a course where I can recover from a bad drive. Probably end up at LuLu.

• Like 1

following this.

I'm at White Manor - feel free to PM me about it. It's ~~pretty~~ very busy on the weekends but in general I like it. The course has been in great shape the whole summer which is primary to some of the details they miss.

I have a hard time believing Concert is intentionally running Philmont into the ground. Who does that benefit? Their business model is to turn the club around, making it cash flow positive. But this is all my assumption, I'd be interested to hear others perspectives why they would trash this.

> @jmgledhill said:

> following this.

> I'm at White Manor - feel free to PM me about it. It's ~~pretty~~ very busy on the weekends but in general I like it. The course has been in great shape the whole summer which is primary to some of the details they miss.

>

> **I have a hard time believing Concert is intentionally running Philmont into the ground. Who does that benefit? Their business model is to turn the club around, making it cash flow positive. But this is all my assumption, I'd be interested to hear others perspectives why they would trash this. **

I don't believe Concert would intentionally run Philmont into the ground, however if they slash the greenkeeper's staff and budget then add in excessive rain and heat the outcome is poor playing conditions. I never see anyone working on the golf course, whether its mid-morning on a weekday or 7:30AM on a weekend. I have played two weekend tournaments where the bunkers weren't prepped (it looked like kids were playing in them the night before. When they closed the South course they told the members that budget would be used on the North, but that obviously did not happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a new-ish White Manor member (joined in 2017).

I love the course and am more than satisfied with the offerings of the non-golf course facilities/amenities.

However, it is indeed very difficult to get a tee time on Friday-Sunday. Don’t expect to “walk-on,” even for a quick 9-holes on a late Friday or Saturday afternoon or early evening.

I was told that the club would stop accepting new members shortly after I joined. That was definitely false.

I will probably start looking for another club to join. That said, I believe the membership dues at White Manor are much less than those assessed by many of the neighboring clubs.

> @F80ZCP said:

> I’m a new-ish White Manor member (joined in 2017).

>

> I love the course and am more than satisfied with the offerings of the non-golf course facilities/amenities.

>

> However, it is indeed very difficult to get a tee time on Friday-Sunday. Don’t expect to “walk-on,” even for a quick 9-holes on a late Friday or Saturday afternoon or early evening.

>

> I was told that the club would stop accepting new members shortly after I joined. That was definitely false.

>

> I will probably start looking for another club to join. That said, I believe the membership dues at White Manor are much less than those assessed by many of the neighboring clubs.

>

>

Sounds like what I have felt at times at Talamore. It's the difference between an equity club and one that is owned by an individual or company. To a golfer, a crowded course that is hard to get a tee time is a bad thing. To ownership, that is a good thing. The two sides will never meet on that.

> @Noles said:

> I'm looking at different clubs for next year as well. I've been at Talamore for the last 5 years and while there are a lot of great things about Talamore, I just can't stand all the OB and hazards. I just don't hit the ball straight enough anymore and need a course where I can recover from a bad drive. **Probably end up at LuLu**.

@Noles Lulu is prob where a lot of guys from Philmont will wind up. Its ridiculously cheap (so is Philmont for the under 45 crowd), and with the new clubhouse opening becoming more appealing. However the course is not really my cup of tea.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone look at Old York Road in the area? It seems to have a lot of amenities too, and still private (vs ClubCorp). The staff is mostly North Hills after the sale there. Played NH last week and in great shape - newer venue is nice but confused: is it a bar, restaurant, indoor golf area? I think it really is best suited as a 19th hole and fits that. Food - eehh... They miss their old staff IMO. Squires was nice but has to be your cup of tee.

• Like 1

Tour AD XC 6S Callaway Smoke 3D 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

I wound up rejoining Medford Village. Its a little bit of a ride, but definitely a hidden gem and incredible value (plus I still know 20+ guys there). The course was in the best shape I have ever seen it. Most of my Philmont group is pretty divided on where there wanted to go - a few joined Spring Mill with others leaning towards LuLu. I heard quite a few guys left for HVCC.

Philmont's greens are closed until next Spring. Hopefully they comeback, but I'm sure it will take a few growing seasons for them to return to where they need to be. Concert finally arranged for reciprocals for members on their dime (I assume after a mass exodus of members).

• 4 weeks later...

I am new to the Philly area and I am looking to join a club in the spring. I am under 30 and in the Malvern/Paoli area. I have in-laws at CVGC, but the course is just okay to me and it seems to have the same issue as people mention that White Manor has, always busy on weekends. I tried playing public golf this fall and you can't get a tee time before 11am and rounds are 5 hours. Having the ability to play a relatively quick round and meeting people to play with are my top priorities. Also having Paddle for the winter months.

> @AlecWoj said:

> I am new to the Philly area and I am looking to join a club in the spring. I am under 30 and in the Malvern/Paoli area. I have in-laws at CVGC, but the course is just okay to me and it seems to have the same issue as people mention that White Manor has, always busy on weekends. I tried playing public golf this fall and you can't get a tee time before 11am and rounds are 5 hours. Having the ability to play a relatively quick round and meeting people to play with are my top priorities. Also having Paddle for the winter months.

I haven't played Waynesborough in a while but its a great track and Applebrook is prob my favorite track in the Malvern area (I haven't been invited to Aronimink yet). I assume both are rather pricey. Rolling Green and Llanarch are prob a 30 min drive or so depending on traffic but both usually has decent Jr membership rates. Llanarch is a little more laid back with a lot of Jr members while RG is one of the better golf courses in the area.

> @ButterCutter2 said:

> @dankil13 - if philmont's lost ~150 members, how is it going to survive? also did you leave and if so, where to? what a shame. i really loved that north course when i played it in fall 2017

@ButterCutter2 I left and went back to my old club (Medford Village in NJ). Out of my group of 18 or so guys that I regularly played with, I'd say at least 8 left with a few others still looking. I'm not sure how Philmont will survive. Most of us feel the golf course won't return to form next Spring as it will likely need a few growing seasons to recover. We also don't have any faith in Concert to get it right, and were extremely unhappy with how we were treated during this period.

Philmont is offering some great incentives for new members, so maybe that helps cushion the blow but it will certainly be a fairly large revenue hit.

@dankil13 Applebrook is probably the closest course to where I currently work, but it is golf only. The GF plays tennis and we both like to play paddle in the winter. I think I will ask for membership information for Waynesborough and a couple of other courses in the spring to get more information and at the least, get a round out of it.

• 10 months later...
On 11/11/2019 at 9:21 AM, AlecWoj said:

@dankil13 Applebrook is probably the closest course to where I currently work, but it is golf only. The GF plays tennis and we both like to play paddle in the winter. I think I will ask for membership information for Waynesborough and a couple of other courses in the spring to get more information and at the least, get a round out of it.

revisiting an old thread. what did you decide here?

Also any further insight from the White Manor guys how 2020 has treated the club? I assume it's been mobbed with people given the covid/work from home situation. 

No one ever brings up Chester Valley either, what's the deal on that place?

Any good deals out there for next year?  I enjoyed LuLu at first but it is so crowded now.  Course has been in terrible shape the last 2 months, though it is recovering now.  Feels more like a Frat house than it does a Country Club.  If you are looking for that type of thing, its perfect but I outgrew the frat 25 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Noles, The head pro and the staff are great but there are 150-200 members too many.  Even Merion’s greens staff would have a hard time maintaining LuLu with 600 members and 1000+ rounds per week. 

Edited by Gamble Gamble

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

12 hours ago, Gamble Gamble said:

Noles, The head pro and the staff are great but there are 150-200 members too many.  Even Merion’s greens staff would have a hard time maintaining LuLu with 600 members and 1000+ rounds per week. 

If you enjoy it there, perfect.  Country Club's are about fit.  Everyone needs to find what is best for them.  As far as course condition, it is not a one year issue with LuLu.  It happened when it was an equity club, when Sequoia was managing it, under this ownership group, under multiple superintendents etc.  Numbers were up everywhere this summer and most places were in good shape.  

• 2 months later...

New member to the forum so apologies for bringing up an old thread. Has anyone here played West Chester CC? Or have been a member? I'm fairly new to the game but live right around the corner from the club so looking to see if it's worth it. I'm sure post covid the 19th hole will be well and truely visited haha

Cobra Radspeed XB 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke im10

Cobra F9 5W 18.5* Hzrdus Smoke im10

Mizuno JPX921 Fli-Hi 4H 20* Recoil ESX 460

Takomo 101 4-PW KBS Max

Cleveland CBX2 Black Satin 50/54/58

Taylormade TP Collection Patina Soto

My Golf Map

On 1/29/2021 at 12:17 AM, CoachCraigie said:

New member to the forum so apologies for bringing up an old thread. Has anyone here played West Chester CC? Or have been a member? I'm fairly new to the game but live right around the corner from the club so looking to see if it's worth it. I'm sure post covid the 19th hole will be well and truely visited haha

WCCC is i nice little 9 hole course.  It sounds perfect for you if you are somewhat new to the game.  

1 hour ago, CoachCraigie said:

Thanks for the info!

Might as well check out Penn Oaks. Full 18 hole course and a better lay out. Not sure how much they charge for a membership now a days but is was reasonable in the past. Radley Run and Concord would be the other private clubs in WC but they are complete country clubs and therefore higher in price.

On 2/2/2021 at 3:21 PM, Evolved said:

Might as well check out Penn Oaks. Full 18 hole course and a better lay out. Not sure how much they charge for a membership now a days but is was reasonable in the past. Radley Run and Concord would be the other private clubs in WC but they are complete country clubs and therefore higher in price.

I played Concord in the father/son this year.  I really like that course and it was in perfect condition.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 12:17 AM, CoachCraigie said:

If you are new to the game and learning it's going to be a tough place to improve. Sloped fairways, tiny greens etc. You may end up getting frustrated out there. Better options nearby for a new to the game golfer would be Radley and Concord. Also check out White Manor, right outside of WC and the practice facilities are significantly nicer than any of the three mentioned so far. It's not an easy golf course but it's really, really good. 

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Appreciate the info! I actually walked WC on the trail and the small greens is something I noticed.

I actually checked out prices for Ingleside. While it's not a great course, far from it in fact, it's cheap and I got a good rate for a 7 day membership. Played it a couple of times and it's wide open, not too challenging, definitely somewhere I can go and work on my game.

Cobra Radspeed XB 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke im10

Cobra F9 5W 18.5* Hzrdus Smoke im10

Mizuno JPX921 Fli-Hi 4H 20* Recoil ESX 460

Takomo 101 4-PW KBS Max

Cleveland CBX2 Black Satin 50/54/58

Taylormade TP Collection Patina Soto

My Golf Map

• 4 weeks later...

In a casual conversation with the pro at the club I recently joined, he remarked that the waitlist has increased significantly and his pro colleagues are saying the same about thier clubs. It makes sense as getting tee times on the public courses is increasingly difficult.  Then, once you get one, it’s an entire day’s commitment after the starter tells you “we’re running a little behind”.