Driver shaft du jour for 2019

wildcatden

> @GoDeacs said:

> I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about club fitting especially for a junior, but are you guys just chopping of ladies shafts at the needed length or are you having to make any other adjustments to the shaft?

Generally, once your junior gets to a certain swing speed (usually around 65mph) for driver, you can start to look at Ladies Flex. If you understand tip trimming, then you would understand how different clubs are trimmed at the business end and butt cut from the grip end. For example, driver shafts typically have 0" trimmed from the tip and then are butt cut to your desired length. Lots of things to keep in mind such as there is no universal standard for flex, different kickpoints, etc, etc, etc...

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

> @wildcatden said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > > @wildcatden said:

> > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > @wildcatden said:

> > > > > Updating mine after a week of testing a friend's Recoil ES440 F1 shaft:

> > > > >

> > > > > Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + BioCell Junior head (early 2019) - Good ball flight but not enough roll

> > > > > Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + Fly-Z+ adult head (mid 2019) - Good ball flight plus roll

> > > > > UST Recoil ES440 F1 shaft + Fly-Z+ adult head (current 2019) - ~~Too early to tell~~ -- _ES440 F1 is to much flex. ES440 at F2 flex (or ES450 at F2 flex) would probably be a better fit._

> > > > >

> > > > > Note: Junior is 8YO boy

> > > >

> > > > How far does your kid carry with his driver? I’m about to try the recoil es 440 f1 on my 6YO. He only carries the ball 80 yards, do u think the f1 will be a good flex for him? Thanks

> > >

> > > Carry is usually around 125-130 yards, maybe 135-40 if he has a better swing. Driver clubhead speed is between 68-72mph as of a couple weeks ago. He really needs some lessons with a pro on driver because I feel he leaves a lot of yardage on the table due to AoA and Dynamic Loft being off (too low). The current Fly-Z+ driver is 12* head. The BioCell is a junior driver head at 14*. And like a lot of juniors, his swing leaks power like the Exxon Valdez leaks oil.

> > >

> > > At 6YO, I found a used TS51 Driver for $10 at the local golf mart for my kid. Hit that club great. IMHO, I doubt a 6YO needs a Recoil shaft of any flavor, but to each their own. We also used Flynn JR1 shafts on the driver in the past, but he just couldn't swing that shaft well. Currently, we have the Flynn shafts on the 3W and 5W, but we are in need of an upgrade soon.

> > >

> > >

> > Hi, thanks so much for your input and experience!

> >

> > The recoil is actually part of my on going quest to lighten my kid’s driver/fairway/hybrid clubs. The recoil came yesterday and I weighted it against the current Flynn JR1 shaft and stock 39” cobra shaft from the Jr F8 driver.

> >

> > Full length (44”~) women’s recoil 440 f1 with Winn grip and Callaway adapter: 101g

> >

> > Stock Cobra jr 39” with cobra adapter and grip: 105g

> >

> > Flynn JR1 Velocity CUT to 34” finished length with cobra adapter and golf pride jr grip: 94g

> >

> > I’m pretty sure chopping off 10” or so from the butt end of the recoil will bring it down at least 10g, and the Jr. Winn grip should be another 10g less than the women’s. Assuming the Callaway and Cobra adapters are about the same weight, I think I’ll be able to save 15g or so. I also got M5 nylon screws to replace the stainless steel adjustable weight screws on the bottom.

> >

> > I’m not really doing this to give my kid an advantage in golf. I just got a really bad case of audiophile syndrome and can’t stop tinkering with **** LOL.

>

>

> Haha, I understand. If money is no object, get the Mitsubishi Grand Bassara 29 in Lite Flex - https://www.mca-golf.com/products/grand-bassara%E2%84%A2 - It weighs 32g at 46" long **before** cutting it down.

>

>

I’ve seen it, I’ve also seen its price, and I never looked back again LOL

We went to a free driver clinic with trackman at our local course this afternoon. Good thing I got to see his numbers before chopping up the recoil shaft. His swing speed is only 55mph! And AoA is -3.5, there’s no way the Jr F8 at 13.5* is good for him and putting in the recoil is a waste of time and money. The good part is his swing angle (don’t remember the exact word) is 1.6 and then club face is negative 1.2 so it evens out and the ball goes straight. Smash factor is 1.49 and that’s supposed to be good. I guess I shouldn’t have skipped the TS3 driver. I think I’m just gonna get the it and work on his AoA as well.

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @wildcatden said:

> > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > @wildcatden said:

> > > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > > @wildcatden said:

> > > > > > Updating mine after a week of testing a friend's Recoil ES440 F1 shaft:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + BioCell Junior head (early 2019) - Good ball flight but not enough roll

> > > > > > Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + Fly-Z+ adult head (mid 2019) - Good ball flight plus roll

> > > > > > UST Recoil ES440 F1 shaft + Fly-Z+ adult head (current 2019) - ~~Too early to tell~~ -- _ES440 F1 is to much flex. ES440 at F2 flex (or ES450 at F2 flex) would probably be a better fit._

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Note: Junior is 8YO boy

> > > > >

> > > > > How far does your kid carry with his driver? I’m about to try the recoil es 440 f1 on my 6YO. He only carries the ball 80 yards, do u think the f1 will be a good flex for him? Thanks

> > > >

> > > > Carry is usually around 125-130 yards, maybe 135-40 if he has a better swing. Driver clubhead speed is between 68-72mph as of a couple weeks ago. He really needs some lessons with a pro on driver because I feel he leaves a lot of yardage on the table due to AoA and Dynamic Loft being off (too low). The current Fly-Z+ driver is 12* head. The BioCell is a junior driver head at 14*. And like a lot of juniors, his swing leaks power like the Exxon Valdez leaks oil.

> > > >

> > > > At 6YO, I found a used TS51 Driver for $10 at the local golf mart for my kid. Hit that club great. IMHO, I doubt a 6YO needs a Recoil shaft of any flavor, but to each their own. We also used Flynn JR1 shafts on the driver in the past, but he just couldn't swing that shaft well. Currently, we have the Flynn shafts on the 3W and 5W, but we are in need of an upgrade soon.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > Hi, thanks so much for your input and experience!

> > >

> > > The recoil is actually part of my on going quest to lighten my kid’s driver/fairway/hybrid clubs. The recoil came yesterday and I weighted it against the current Flynn JR1 shaft and stock 39” cobra shaft from the Jr F8 driver.

> > >

> > > Full length (44”~) women’s recoil 440 f1 with Winn grip and Callaway adapter: 101g

> > >

> > > Stock Cobra jr 39” with cobra adapter and grip: 105g

> > >

> > > Flynn JR1 Velocity CUT to 34” finished length with cobra adapter and golf pride jr grip: 94g

> > >

> > > I’m pretty sure chopping off 10” or so from the butt end of the recoil will bring it down at least 10g, and the Jr. Winn grip should be another 10g less than the women’s. Assuming the Callaway and Cobra adapters are about the same weight, I think I’ll be able to save 15g or so. I also got M5 nylon screws to replace the stainless steel adjustable weight screws on the bottom.

> > >

> > > I’m not really doing this to give my kid an advantage in golf. I just got a really bad case of audiophile syndrome and can’t stop tinkering with **** LOL.

> >

> >

> > Haha, I understand. If money is no object, get the Mitsubishi Grand Bassara 29 in Lite Flex - https://www.mca-golf.com/products/grand-bassara%E2%84%A2 - It weighs 32g at 46" long **before** cutting it down.

> >

> >

>

> I’ve seen it, I’ve also seen its price, and I never looked back again LOL

>

> We went to a free driver clinic with trackman at our local course this afternoon. Good thing I got to see his numbers before chopping up the recoil shaft. His swing speed is only 55mph! And AoA is -3.5, there’s no way the Jr F8 at 13.5* is good for him and putting in the recoil is a waste of time and money. The good part is his swing angle (don’t remember the exact word) is 1.6 and then club face is negative 1.2 so it evens out and the ball goes straight. Smash factor is 1.49 and that’s supposed to be good. I guess I shouldn’t have skipped the TS3 driver. I think I’m just gonna get the it and work on his AoA as well.

Smash factor or 1.49 is VERY good, if he can repeat it.

[https://blog.trackmangolf.com/smash-factor/#targetText=Smash%20Factor%20is%20ball%20speed,near%201.50%20on%20driver%20shots.](https://blog.trackmangolf.com/smash-factor/#targetText=Smash%20Factor%20is%20ball%20speed,near%201.50%20on%20driver%20shots. "https://blog.trackmangolf.com/smash-factor/#targetText=Smash%20Factor%20is%20ball%20speed,near%201.50%20on%20driver%20shots.")

> @GoDeacs said:

> I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about club fitting especially for a junior, but are you guys just chopping of ladies shafts at the needed length or are you having to make any other adjustments to the shaft?

Thankfully once you hit about 65 mph (as Wildcat said) and about 60" in height you can safely just do butt trimming without much issue and not have to many problems. Where it comes in as as an issue is when you go crazy chopping off a ton of shaft you are going to seriously alter the flex characteristics.

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @wildcatden said:

> > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > > @wildcatden said:

> > > > > > Updating mine after a week of testing a friend's Recoil ES440 F1 shaft:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + BioCell Junior head (early 2019) - Good ball flight but not enough roll

> > > > > > Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + Fly-Z+ adult head (mid 2019) - Good ball flight plus roll

> > > > > > UST Recoil ES440 F1 shaft + Fly-Z+ adult head (current 2019) - ~~Too early to tell~~ -- _ES440 F1 is to much flex. ES440 at F2 flex (or ES450 at F2 flex) would probably be a better fit._

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Note: Junior is 8YO boy

> > > > >

> > > > > How far does your kid carry with his driver? I’m about to try the recoil es 440 f1 on my 6YO. He only carries the ball 80 yards, do u think the f1 will be a good flex for him? Thanks

> > > >

> > > > Carry is usually around 125-130 yards, maybe 135-40 if he has a better swing. Driver clubhead speed is between 68-72mph as of a couple weeks ago. He really needs some lessons with a pro on driver because I feel he leaves a lot of yardage on the table due to AoA and Dynamic Loft being off (too low). The current Fly-Z+ driver is 12* head. The BioCell is a junior driver head at 14*. And like a lot of juniors, his swing leaks power like the Exxon Valdez leaks oil.

> > > >

> > > > At 6YO, I found a used TS51 Driver for $10 at the local golf mart for my kid. Hit that club great. IMHO, I doubt a 6YO needs a Recoil shaft of any flavor, but to each their own. We also used Flynn JR1 shafts on the driver in the past, but he just couldn't swing that shaft well. Currently, we have the Flynn shafts on the 3W and 5W, but we are in need of an upgrade soon.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > Hi, thanks so much for your input and experience!

> > >

> > > The recoil is actually part of my on going quest to lighten my kid’s driver/fairway/hybrid clubs. The recoil came yesterday and I weighted it against the current Flynn JR1 shaft and stock 39” cobra shaft from the Jr F8 driver.

> > >

> > > Full length (44”~) women’s recoil 440 f1 with Winn grip and Callaway adapter: 101g

> > >

> > > Stock Cobra jr 39” with cobra adapter and grip: 105g

> > >

> > > Flynn JR1 Velocity CUT to 34” finished length with cobra adapter and golf pride jr grip: 94g

> > >

> > > I’m pretty sure chopping off 10” or so from the butt end of the recoil will bring it down at least 10g, and the Jr. Winn grip should be another 10g less than the women’s. Assuming the Callaway and Cobra adapters are about the same weight, I think I’ll be able to save 15g or so. I also got M5 nylon screws to replace the stainless steel adjustable weight screws on the bottom.

> > >

> > > I’m not really doing this to give my kid an advantage in golf. I just got a really bad case of audiophile syndrome and can’t stop tinkering with **** LOL.

> >

> >

> > Haha, I understand. If money is no object, get the Mitsubishi Grand Bassara 29 in Lite Flex - https://www.mca-golf.com/products/grand-bassara%E2%84%A2 - It weighs 32g at 46" long **before** cutting it down.

> >

> >

>

> I’ve seen it, I’ve also seen its price, and I never looked back again LOL

>

> We went to a free driver clinic with trackman at our local course this afternoon. Good thing I got to see his numbers before chopping up the recoil shaft. His swing speed is only 55mph! And AoA is -3.5, there’s no way the Jr F8 at 13.5* is good for him and putting in the recoil is a waste of time and money. The good part is his swing angle (don’t remember the exact word) is 1.6 and then club face is negative 1.2 so it evens out and the ball goes straight. Smash factor is 1.49 and that’s supposed to be good. I guess I shouldn’t have skipped the TS3 driver. I think I’m just gonna get the it and work on his AoA as well.

I'm not surprised. I know it is fun to dive into equipment but you have done an awful lot of tinkering for a 6 year old...at that age you really are going down a rabbit hole messing with his bag to much for very little return. Best to stick with the USKids or Flynn until he gets a bit bigger and older. You won't see much difference in a kid that age.

> @wildcatden said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @wildcatden said:

> > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > > > @wildcatden said:

> > > > > > > Updating mine after a week of testing a friend's Recoil ES440 F1 shaft:

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + BioCell Junior head (early 2019) - Good ball flight but not enough roll

> > > > > > > Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + Fly-Z+ adult head (mid 2019) - Good ball flight plus roll

> > > > > > > UST Recoil ES440 F1 shaft + Fly-Z+ adult head (current 2019) - ~~Too early to tell~~ -- _ES440 F1 is to much flex. ES440 at F2 flex (or ES450 at F2 flex) would probably be a better fit._

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Note: Junior is 8YO boy

> > > > > >

> > > > > > How far does your kid carry with his driver? I’m about to try the recoil es 440 f1 on my 6YO. He only carries the ball 80 yards, do u think the f1 will be a good flex for him? Thanks

> > > > >

> > > > > Carry is usually around 125-130 yards, maybe 135-40 if he has a better swing. Driver clubhead speed is between 68-72mph as of a couple weeks ago. He really needs some lessons with a pro on driver because I feel he leaves a lot of yardage on the table due to AoA and Dynamic Loft being off (too low). The current Fly-Z+ driver is 12* head. The BioCell is a junior driver head at 14*. And like a lot of juniors, his swing leaks power like the Exxon Valdez leaks oil.

> > > > >

> > > > > At 6YO, I found a used TS51 Driver for $10 at the local golf mart for my kid. Hit that club great. IMHO, I doubt a 6YO needs a Recoil shaft of any flavor, but to each their own. We also used Flynn JR1 shafts on the driver in the past, but he just couldn't swing that shaft well. Currently, we have the Flynn shafts on the 3W and 5W, but we are in need of an upgrade soon.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I am in the same boat with my junior. He should be hitting his driver a good 20 yards further but just can't harness what is there all the way just yet. He will occasionally catch one and make us all hold our breath but the vast majority of his drives are underwhelming compared to the distances on his irons.

> > >

> > >

> > > I feel the same way. We are definitely using older equipment (Fly-Z+ and BioCell heads) and the Cobra Junior shaft (Fujikura Fuel) is certainly not a game changer. I doubt I will make any changes until we start seeing a coach and get their input. Plus, it wouldn't hurt if my kid actually put some effort into the superspeed sticks that we got from a fellow WRX'er last spring. This all speaks to the maturity level and letting him drive his ambitions which vary from day to day.

> > >

> >

> > Mine has the drive honestly as golf is his primary passion and his coach agrees it is just a matter of time. They are working on angle of attack and some other things with him but don't want to rush things and mess up his swing. Last round his 7 drives were 170, 160 (uphill), 140, 140, 140, 160, and 140 (major uphill). If he could get the 170 consistent it would help his scores a lot. I don't think equipment is the culprit with him, I just don't think he has quite developed the "driver" swing yet.

>

>

>

> Our juniors are playing the same game. There's an app called Trajectoware Drive 1.0 ( http://forum.trajectoware.com/app.php/home .... look for download section at http://forum.trajectoware.com/app.php/dlext/?view=detail&df_id=1&sid=f8ba8d66b234cba7692cada04a90de42 ) that I use to play around with the numbers. The top 3 things that would help my kid are:

>

> 1. Newer equipment that is perhaps professionally fitted (driver head/shaft)

> 2. More clubhead speed

> 3. And more clubhead speed ;)

May have turned a corner yesterday or he just had a good day. His drives were 175, 168, 125 (Bad mishit push), 160 uphill, 170, 140 (intentionally played it easy), and 160 uphill. That is much closer to what he should be hitting. I think after a full 6 weeks of adapting to the new clubs/shafts he is starting to feel confident enough to really swing the club. Who knows though, he plays his last big tourney of the year this weekend...here's hoping.

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @wildcatden said:

> > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > Updating mine after a week of testing a friend's Recoil ES440 F1 shaft:

> > > >

> > > > Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + BioCell Junior head (early 2019) - Good ball flight but not enough roll

> > > > Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + Fly-Z+ adult head (mid 2019) - Good ball flight plus roll

> > > > UST Recoil ES440 F1 shaft + Fly-Z+ adult head (current 2019) - ~~Too early to tell~~ -- _ES440 F1 is to much flex. ES440 at F2 flex (or ES450 at F2 flex) would probably be a better fit._

> > > >

> > > > Note: Junior is 8YO boy

> > >

> > > How far does your kid carry with his driver? I’m about to try the recoil es 440 f1 on my 6YO. He only carries the ball 80 yards, do u think the f1 will be a good flex for him? Thanks

> >

> > Carry is usually around 125-130 yards, maybe 135-40 if he has a better swing. Driver clubhead speed is between 68-72mph as of a couple weeks ago. He really needs some lessons with a pro on driver because I feel he leaves a lot of yardage on the table due to AoA and Dynamic Loft being off (too low). The current Fly-Z+ driver is 12* head. The BioCell is a junior driver head at 14*. And like a lot of juniors, his swing leaks power like the Exxon Valdez leaks oil.

> >

> > At 6YO, I found a used TS51 Driver for $10 at the local golf mart for my kid. Hit that club great. IMHO, I doubt a 6YO needs a Recoil shaft of any flavor, but to each their own. We also used Flynn JR1 shafts on the driver in the past, but he just couldn't swing that shaft well. Currently, we have the Flynn shafts on the 3W and 5W, but we are in need of an upgrade soon.

> >

> >

> Hi, thanks so much for your input and experience!

>

> The recoil is actually part of my on going quest to lighten my kid’s driver/fairway/hybrid clubs. The recoil came yesterday and I weighted it against the current Flynn JR1 shaft and stock 39” cobra shaft from the Jr F8 driver.

>

> Full length (44”~) women’s recoil 440 f1 with Winn grip and Callaway adapter: 101g

>

> Stock Cobra jr 39” with cobra adapter and grip: 105g

>

> Flynn JR1 Velocity CUT to 34” finished length with cobra adapter and golf pride jr grip: 94g

>

> I’m pretty sure chopping off 10” or so from the butt end of the recoil will bring it down at least 10g, and the Jr. Winn grip should be another 10g less than the women’s. Assuming the Callaway and Cobra adapters are about the same weight, I think I’ll be able to save 15g or so. I also got M5 nylon screws to replace the stainless steel adjustable weight screws on the bottom.

>

> I’m not really doing this to give my kid an advantage in golf. I just got a really bad case of audiophile syndrome and can’t stop tinkering with **** LOL.

@Kcct82 - For what its worth, my son is 8 (9 in October). He moved from USKG Tour Series Driver (51") to a Recoil es 440 f1/XR16 Combo when he was a few months past turning 7. We had previously tried two different flex shafts from Flynn , which were OK, before settling on the ES 440 setup. I've always been firm that he wont play any club until he is ready for it and that whatever he hits best will be in the bag...regardless of brand, color, etc...but it was crystal clear that that was the best setup for him including over the incumbent USKG TS Driver. He still has it in the bag and we have an F2 shaft on stand by that I throw in every once in a while to test, but he isnt quite there yet. As far as length, it is cut to about USKG TS 51 specs +1". I've always erred shorter than longer on club length - maybe giving up a few extra yards, but he hits it plenty far and think it better for his swing plane, etc.

> @hangontight said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > > @wildcatden said:

> > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > Updating mine after a week of testing a friend's Recoil ES440 F1 shaft:

> > > > >

> > > > > Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + BioCell Junior head (early 2019) - Good ball flight but not enough roll

> > > > > Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + Fly-Z+ adult head (mid 2019) - Good ball flight plus roll

> > > > > UST Recoil ES440 F1 shaft + Fly-Z+ adult head (current 2019) - ~~Too early to tell~~ -- _ES440 F1 is to much flex. ES440 at F2 flex (or ES450 at F2 flex) would probably be a better fit._

> > > > >

> > > > > Note: Junior is 8YO boy

> > > >

> > > > How far does your kid carry with his driver? I’m about to try the recoil es 440 f1 on my 6YO. He only carries the ball 80 yards, do u think the f1 will be a good flex for him? Thanks

> > >

> > > Carry is usually around 125-130 yards, maybe 135-40 if he has a better swing. Driver clubhead speed is between 68-72mph as of a couple weeks ago. He really needs some lessons with a pro on driver because I feel he leaves a lot of yardage on the table due to AoA and Dynamic Loft being off (too low). The current Fly-Z+ driver is 12* head. The BioCell is a junior driver head at 14*. And like a lot of juniors, his swing leaks power like the Exxon Valdez leaks oil.

> > >

> > > At 6YO, I found a used TS51 Driver for $10 at the local golf mart for my kid. Hit that club great. IMHO, I doubt a 6YO needs a Recoil shaft of any flavor, but to each their own. We also used Flynn JR1 shafts on the driver in the past, but he just couldn't swing that shaft well. Currently, we have the Flynn shafts on the 3W and 5W, but we are in need of an upgrade soon.

> > >

> > >

> > Hi, thanks so much for your input and experience!

> >

> > The recoil is actually part of my on going quest to lighten my kid’s driver/fairway/hybrid clubs. The recoil came yesterday and I weighted it against the current Flynn JR1 shaft and stock 39” cobra shaft from the Jr F8 driver.

> >

> > Full length (44”~) women’s recoil 440 f1 with Winn grip and Callaway adapter: 101g

> >

> > Stock Cobra jr 39” with cobra adapter and grip: 105g

> >

> > Flynn JR1 Velocity CUT to 34” finished length with cobra adapter and golf pride jr grip: 94g

> >

> > I’m pretty sure chopping off 10” or so from the butt end of the recoil will bring it down at least 10g, and the Jr. Winn grip should be another 10g less than the women’s. Assuming the Callaway and Cobra adapters are about the same weight, I think I’ll be able to save 15g or so. I also got M5 nylon screws to replace the stainless steel adjustable weight screws on the bottom.

> >

> > I’m not really doing this to give my kid an advantage in golf. I just got a really bad case of audiophile syndrome and can’t stop tinkering with **** LOL.

>

> @Kcct82 - For what its worth, my son is 8 (9 in October). He moved from USKG Tour Series Driver (51") to a Recoil es 440 f1/XR16 Combo when he was a few months past turning 7. We had previously tried two different flex shafts from Flynn , which were OK, before settling on the ES 440 setup. I've always been firm that he wont play any club until he is ready for it and that whatever he hits best will be in the bag...regardless of brand, color, etc...but it was crystal clear that that was the best setup for him including over the incumbent USKG TS Driver. He still has it in the bag and we have an F2 shaft on stand by that I throw in every once in a while to test, but he isnt quite there yet. As far as length, it is cut to about USKG TS 51 specs +1". I've always erred shorter than longer on club length - maybe giving up a few extra yards, but he hits it plenty far and think it better for his swing plane, etc.

Hi, thanks! Do u remember how far he was hitting or his swing speed when he switched to the XR/recoil combo at 7?

> @kekoa said:

> 9 yr old. Playing M5 with an ultra uber rare crazy light shaft. Sorry I can't divulge more because he gained like 30 yards with it.

Last I saw you had gone from the Accra to the Diamana but I wouldn't be surprised if he's using an OBAN or GRAND BASSARA now. :smiley:

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > 9 yr old. Playing M5 with an ultra uber rare crazy light shaft. Sorry I can't divulge more because he gained like 30 yards with it.

>

> Last I saw you had gone from the Accra to the Diamana but I wouldn't be surprised if he's using an OBAN or GRAND BASSARA now. :smiley:

The Diamana isn't going anywhere for as long as he can play it. Hopefully I can extend it by up to 3" when he needs. Only thing I'm afraid of is that it will be too light as he gets stronger compared to his other clubs.

> @kekoa said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @kekoa said:

> > > 9 yr old. Playing M5 with an ultra uber rare crazy light shaft. Sorry I can't divulge more because he gained like 30 yards with it.

> >

> > Last I saw you had gone from the Accra to the Diamana but I wouldn't be surprised if he's using an OBAN or GRAND BASSARA now. :smiley:

>

> The Diamana isn't going anywhere for as long as he can play it. Hopefully I can extend it by up to 3" when he needs. Only thing I'm afraid of is that it will be too light as he gets stronger compared to his other clubs.

My son has a Diamana in his driver and 3w as well. Fujikura Pro 2.0 in the hybrids.

I was going to try the Accra but I couldn't figure out their stiffness measurements and I'm too lazy to invest the time to figure it out.

> @kekoa said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @kekoa said:

> > > 9 yr old. Playing M5 with an ultra uber rare crazy light shaft. Sorry I can't divulge more because he gained like 30 yards with it.

> >

> > Last I saw you had gone from the Accra to the Diamana but I wouldn't be surprised if he's using an OBAN or GRAND BASSARA now. :smiley:

>

> The Diamana isn't going anywhere for as long as he can play it. Hopefully I can extend it by up to 3" when he needs. Only thing I'm afraid of is that it will be too light as he gets stronger compared to his other clubs.

So you’ll be divulging more details re: this uber rare shaft in a couple years when it’s time to sell?

> @Kcct82 said:

> Anyone seen the Callaway Epic Flash Star stock shaft in person yet? I guess it replaces the Grand Bassara. “The woods are as light as 35-36g...”

>

> https://www.ustmamiya.com/ust-mamiya-blog/posts/2019/august/attas-speed-series

>

I am intrigued by the UST Helium shaft...

Long story short... Saturday night, got bored, chopped the recoil. Good news is, the recoil at 35” finished length with cobra adapter and Winn jr grip is only 66g. When I add grip tape and epoxy it’ll be 70g or so. The 34” Flynn JR1 with cobra adapter and Jr Golf Pride grip is a whopping 94g. Now on to the bad news. The recoil’s butt end is so fat I can’t put the Jr Winn grip on. Some one please tell me which grip would fit and be super light/thin at the same time, thanks!

> @Kcct82 said:

> Long story short... Saturday night, got bored, chopped the recoil. Good news is, the recoil at 35” finished length with cobra adapter and Winn jr grip is only 66g. When I add grip tape and epoxy it’ll be 70g or so. The 34” Flynn JR1 with cobra adapter and Jr Golf Pride grip is a whopping 94g. Now on to the bad news. The recoil’s butt end is so fat I can’t put the Jr Winn grip on. Some one please tell me which grip would fit and be super light/thin at the same time, thanks!

I've had the exact same problem trying to shove Jr winn grips on adult shafts. I finally threw in the towel and took it to local golf store, and they did it like within 5 seconds. :s

I thought about getting one of these tools, but we've finally moved on from junior grips.

[https://golfworks.com/the-ultimate-grip-installer-tool/](https://www.golfworks.com/the-ultimate-grip-installer-tool/ "https://golfworks.com/the-ultimate-grip-installer-tool/")

> @mrshinsa said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > Long story short... Saturday night, got bored, chopped the recoil. Good news is, the recoil at 35” finished length with cobra adapter and Winn jr grip is only 66g. When I add grip tape and epoxy it’ll be 70g or so. The 34” Flynn JR1 with cobra adapter and Jr Golf Pride grip is a whopping 94g. Now on to the bad news. The recoil’s butt end is so fat I can’t put the Jr Winn grip on. Some one please tell me which grip would fit and be super light/thin at the same time, thanks!

>

> I've had the exact same problem trying to shove Jr winn grips on adult shafts. I finally threw in the towel and took it to local golf store, and they did it like within 5 seconds. :s

>

> I thought about getting one of these tools, but we've finally moved on from junior grips.

> [https://golfworks.com/the-ultimate-grip-installer-tool/](https://www.golfworks.com/the-ultimate-grip-installer-tool/ "https://golfworks.com/the-ultimate-grip-installer-tool/")

Thanks for the quick response! I’m gonna go challenge my local store to see if they can pop it in.

> @Kcct82 said:

> Long story short... Saturday night, got bored, chopped the recoil. Good news is, the recoil at 35” finished length with cobra adapter and Winn jr grip is only 66g. When I add grip tape and epoxy it’ll be 70g or so. The 34” Flynn JR1 with cobra adapter and Jr Golf Pride grip is a whopping 94g. Now on to the bad news. The recoil’s butt end is so fat I can’t put the Jr Winn grip on. Some one please tell me which grip would fit and be super light/thin at the same time, thanks!

Use more solvent and shove it on there fast.

> @Kcct82 said:

Golf pride jr grip is 45 grams, win is around 28 or so. Outside of putter grips no grip is 94grams. Flynn are heavy shafts for what they are. When we first moved to recoil I found the same size setup was about 10 grams lighter in terms of flynn vs recoil.

Thanks everyone for the comments on grips. I couldn’t find my roll of grip tape to do it myself so I took it to a local shop. They were able to put the Jr Winn grip on easily with just solvent and tape (no specialized tools needed). Here are the final measurements:

Flynn VELOCITY JR1 at 34” finished club length + cobra adapter + golf pride jr grip = 94g

Recoil 440 F1 at 35” finished club length + cobra adapter + Winn jr grip = 69g

The whole club (Cobra Jr F8 with weights removed) with the Recoil is 252g. It’ll be 249-250g when my nylon M5 screws arrive to replace the 2 stainless screws on the bottom.

Anyone knows how much the USKG TS3 51” driver weights? I know the UL48 driver weighs 220g so I suspect the TS3 will be around 240g.

j3nf9mq7u6s2.jpeg

> @mjf59 said:

> Not aware of any shafts lighter than that, for any age player. USK shafts couldn't be much if any less.

Check out my previous post. The recoil is lighter than Flynn’s shaft. The Winn grip is only 15g lighter than golf pride. That means the recoil (after cutting) is 10g lighter than Flynn’s Velocity shaft.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > Anyone seen the Callaway Epic Flash Star stock shaft in person yet? I guess it replaces the Grand Bassara. “The woods are as light as 35-36g...”

> >

> > https://www.ustmamiya.com/ust-mamiya-blog/posts/2019/august/attas-speed-series

> >

>

> I am intrigued by the UST Helium shaft...

Funny you mentioned helium shaft. That blue colored shaft Wildcatden posted actually looks a lot like the Elements Helium Proto.