2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

After playing this game for 35 years I had my first one on one lesson with a pro a couple of days ago. He was a bit surprised when he looked in my bag and saw a set of 1958 Wilson Dynapowered irons and Stan Thompson persimmon woods. Anyway, a couple small tweaks and I’m hitting my long irons better than I ever have. The pro was shocked at how high I could hit the old 2 and 3 irons. Anyway, I’m pretty excited about my game right now.

So, I’ve got two sets of blades on the way. A set of Palmer “The Deacon” irons and a set of Hogan Redlines. I was looking for an 80’s era set of blades and couldn’t decide which to go with so I bought both. I was hoping one of these sets would be my “modern” set while I still have my 58 Dynapowered’s in my vintage bag. I must admit, I’m not really that excited about receiving either at this point. I’m kind of afraid to hit anything else as I was hitting the 58’s so well. It kinda feels like what’s the point of different blades? The 58’s do exactly what I need them to do. Maybe I’m just done chasing clubs. I had the same feeling a year ago when I bought a new M1 driver and felt the least satisfaction ever from a new club purchase. It literally put me off metal woods and I’ve played persimmon exclusively since.

Maybe the 58’s are just my unicorn set?

71wcf24v5052.jpeg

• Like 1

> @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> Everything looks in order. Faces and backs are really clean, just a little discoloration/wear on the soles of the 5 and P. Oh well. Love the square toe and how they frame the ball, but not so sure about the grind.

>

> nv67amyabo4y.jpeg

> ytrebwfq00gq.jpeg

> mp5xdrj38bd9.jpeg

> 18bmh7lxcd9l.jpeg

> 0ch2pdpb19k6.jpeg

>

>

Lovely clubs. Love the classic look and the flat sole.

> @deejaid said:

> After playing this game for 35 years I had my first one on one lesson with a pro a couple of days ago. He was a bit surprised when he looked in my bag and saw a set of 1958 Wilson Dynapowered irons and Stan Thompson persimmon woods. Anyway, a couple small tweaks and I’m hitting my long irons better than I ever have. The pro was shocked at how high I could hit the old 2 and 3 irons. Anyway, I’m pretty excited about my game right now.

>

> So, I’ve got two sets of blades on the way. A set of Palmer “The Deacon” irons and a set of Hogan Redlines. I was looking for an 80’s era set of blades and couldn’t decide which to go with so I bought both. I was hoping one of these sets would be my “modern” set while I still have my 58 Dynapowered’s in my vintage bag. I must admit, I’m not really that excited about receiving either at this point. I’m kind of afraid to hit anything else as I was hitting the 58’s so well. It kinda feels like what’s the point of different blades? The 58’s do exactly what I need them to do. Maybe I’m just done chasing clubs. I had the same feeling a year ago when I bought a new M1 driver and felt the least satisfaction ever from a new club purchase. It literally put me off metal woods and I’ve played persimmon exclusively since.

>

> Maybe the 58’s are just my unicorn set?

>

> 71wcf24v5052.jpeg

>

>

>

Perhaps the Wilsons are like what VIPs and certain Muirfields are to me---- But then again when I first met you on here you were a self described Hogan man----- Of course I fell in love with those old Teardrop KZGs too--- But then again maybe you found your set for all time

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

> Everything looks in order. Faces and backs are really clean, just a little discoloration/wear on the soles of the 5 and P. Oh well. Love the square toe and how they frame the ball, but not so sure about the grind.

>

> nv67amyabo4y.jpeg

> ytrebwfq00gq.jpeg

> mp5xdrj38bd9.jpeg

> 18bmh7lxcd9l.jpeg

> 0ch2pdpb19k6.jpeg

>

>

I can tell you from experience those butter knife Macs can dig. If I play them all the time I am ok. If I don't for a while and have been playing my CBs I can dig some. Monday I was off work and went to the range with a mixture of clubs in the range bag. Had a 5,7 and 8 Special Order Tourney Custom 985s that a fellow WRXer sent me. Those 985s are Special Order and appear to be the same grind as your 82s. Anyhow when I first started hitting them I dug some which I am a digger anyhow. But remember I have played Mac blades most of my life so I got used to them again. I was also bagging a Mac Mashie niblick hickory and a Mac Fairway iron also hickory. Also had a persimmon Toney Penna Model 1 driver. Had my 915 D-2 because I was doing some tinkering with it. But had a fun couple of hours at the range

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > > Set of irons coming in tomorrow. Last 2 boxes I've tried to manipulate the time so the wife doesn't see them and I come home and the box is right inside the front door (face palm). This one's a heavy one (Pro-82 3-Sw or 2-PW not sure) This one feels like Christmas. I've been holding out for a set of these for a long time. Gonna take a half day tomorrow and maybe go to the range with them, before my wife gets back home.

> >

> >

> > Were they in the condition you hoped they'd be?

> > I got a semi-greenlight from the wife for more ho'ing: she bought some new trouser-type things the other day then came downstairs crestfallen yesterday holding a near-identical pair that she's bought months before and forgotten about. I told her that I could account for all of my 22 sets of irons, so I was good to go for a set or two more. She didn't argue back!

> >

> > Note: I counted up later, and found I actually have 24 sets of irons. Ooops. None identical, though.

> >

> > Edit: Double oops. 25 sets. I forgot about the pristine Muirfields in the cupboard.

>

> I've been meaning to count up all the sets in my possession, it's expanding slowly, but surely... If you visit yahoo auction enough there are going to be offers you can't refuse... set of classic Yamahas reshafted with Modus 105X for $50 for example. You can't get one of those shafts installed for that much, so therein lies the dilemma.

>

> I always miss a set or two when I do the mental calculation, so it's fun to rediscover them, still gotta thin them out a bit...

>

> I'll have that box in my hands at 2pm, Catchy and if they are nice, I'll put up a few pics. I am actually pretty sure they'll be alright. The shaft bands usually tell a lot, and they looked clean...

Yep I always do a mental miscalculation and miscount ------ I think for club hoes like you and I it can be easy to do----- I do have one excuse I am over 60 so I qualify for "senior moments"

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @deejaid said:

> > After playing this game for 35 years I had my first one on one lesson with a pro a couple of days ago. He was a bit surprised when he looked in my bag and saw a set of 1958 Wilson Dynapowered irons and Stan Thompson persimmon woods. Anyway, a couple small tweaks and I’m hitting my long irons better than I ever have. The pro was shocked at how high I could hit the old 2 and 3 irons. Anyway, I’m pretty excited about my game right now.

> >

> > So, I’ve got two sets of blades on the way. A set of Palmer “The Deacon” irons and a set of Hogan Redlines. I was looking for an 80’s era set of blades and couldn’t decide which to go with so I bought both. I was hoping one of these sets would be my “modern” set while I still have my 58 Dynapowered’s in my vintage bag. I must admit, I’m not really that excited about receiving either at this point. I’m kind of afraid to hit anything else as I was hitting the 58’s so well. It kinda feels like what’s the point of different blades? The 58’s do exactly what I need them to do. Maybe I’m just done chasing clubs. I had the same feeling a year ago when I bought a new M1 driver and felt the least satisfaction ever from a new club purchase. It literally put me off metal woods and I’ve played persimmon exclusively since.

> >

> > Maybe the 58’s are just my unicorn set?

> >

> > 71wcf24v5052.jpeg

> >

> >

> >

>

> Perhaps the Wilsons are like what VIPs and certain Muirfields are to me---- But then again when I first met you on here you were a self described Hogan man----- Of course I fell in love with those old Teardrop KZGs too--- But then again maybe you found your set for all time

I don’t know, I never planned on becoming a Wilson guy, it just happened. I just feel comfortable standing over the ball with the 58’s. I still like Hogan’s but I’ve always been an Arnie fan and when people ask about my clubs I enjoy telling them these are the same irons he used to win the 1958 Masters and probably all his majors if he used this model all the way through 1964 before leaving Wilson.

Yeah, the sharp leading edge and I have our moments. I guess it could force me not to be so steep, but I'd rather just have a little relief and not have to worry. Otherwise I love how they set up. They frame the ball as nice as anything I own. Can't wait to hit them, to be honest - the shafts are the perfect length and the grips are some sort of super rough Royal Grip tour wrap that are ribbed for my pleasure. What's not to like. I guess I am just sort of spoiled for clubs here, I am usually surprised how nice the condition is, that I get to expect that all the sticks on the market are virtually unused. These one's have seen about a seasons worth of action, not merely a week.

> @deejaid said:

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @deejaid said:

> > > After playing this game for 35 years I had my first one on one lesson with a pro a couple of days ago. He was a bit surprised when he looked in my bag and saw a set of 1958 Wilson Dynapowered irons and Stan Thompson persimmon woods. Anyway, a couple small tweaks and I’m hitting my long irons better than I ever have. The pro was shocked at how high I could hit the old 2 and 3 irons. Anyway, I’m pretty excited about my game right now.

> > >

> > > So, I’ve got two sets of blades on the way. A set of Palmer “The Deacon” irons and a set of Hogan Redlines. I was looking for an 80’s era set of blades and couldn’t decide which to go with so I bought both. I was hoping one of these sets would be my “modern” set while I still have my 58 Dynapowered’s in my vintage bag. I must admit, I’m not really that excited about receiving either at this point. I’m kind of afraid to hit anything else as I was hitting the 58’s so well. It kinda feels like what’s the point of different blades? The 58’s do exactly what I need them to do. Maybe I’m just done chasing clubs. I had the same feeling a year ago when I bought a new M1 driver and felt the least satisfaction ever from a new club purchase. It literally put me off metal woods and I’ve played persimmon exclusively since.

> > >

> > > Maybe the 58’s are just my unicorn set?

> > >

> > > 71wcf24v5052.jpeg

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Perhaps the Wilsons are like what VIPs and certain Muirfields are to me---- But then again when I first met you on here you were a self described Hogan man----- Of course I fell in love with those old Teardrop KZGs too--- But then again maybe you found your set for all time

>

>

> I don’t know, I never planned on becoming a Wilson guy, it just happened. I just feel comfortable standing over the ball with the 58’s. I still like Hogan’s but I’ve always been an Arnie fan and when people ask about my clubs I enjoy telling them these are the same irons he used to win the 1958 Masters and probably all his majors if he used this model all the way through 1964 before leaving Wilson.

>

>

>

The main key to all you said there is "you feel comfortable with them" If you feel comfortable and the look over the ball inspires confidence that is half the battle. personally for me nothing at all against Wilson but everytime I stand over the ball with a Wilson club ( JP wedges excepted) I think back to the Patty Berg Buttonbacks and think rope hook. I thought I had maybe gotten over that after all I was 13 years old. A couple of years ago I found a pristine set of Buttonbacks on the scrap pile 2 thru PW. While heck yes I grabbed them they were too nice to go to the shredder. I tried hitting them and could not get over my mental block. I ended up giving them to our friend over in the classics forum Old School Rocker ( Randy) who is a Wilson man.

> Yeah, the sharp leading edge and I have our moments. I guess it could force me not to be so steep, but I'd rather just have a little relief and not have to worry. Otherwise I love how they set up. They frame the ball as nice as anything I own. Can't wait to hit them, to be honest - the shafts are the perfect length and the grips are some sort of super rough Royal Grip tour wrap that are ribbed for my pleasure. What's not to like. I guess I am just sort of spoiled for clubs here, I am usually surprised how nice the condition is, that I get to expect that all the sticks on the market are virtually unused. These one's have seen about a seasons worth of action, not merely a week.

The main thing is you found a set of Pro 82s which are rare. The prices have really went up on them since the interwebs and folks have found out they are Miura forged. I have never owned a set. LOL My buddy who is a Miura dealer denies up and down they are Miura forged.

Any of you guys frame the ball heel side with your blades? I started doing this and love the higher consistency of impact. Imparts a more inside path intent but allows for slight outside with better impact. I have always centered the ball but I've seen many a Pro do this and since I tend to be slight outside to frame, this works for me.

Still going with 681's right now, getting more comfort with them. Love their consistency on direction and distance. Bending ball is Mecredes Benz steady. Can go obscenely long too. But even if I'm swinging "B" level, I know what I'll get. Playing tomorrow, switching back to 56* Maruman SW. The Cobra wedge is 54* and I cannot deal with faster pace of greens with that. Favorite time of year for me to play here in Yankee New England. Cheers.

> @Nard_S said:

> Any of you guys frame the ball heel side with your blades? I started doing this and love the higher consistency of impact. Imparts a more inside path intent but allows for slight outside with better impact. I have always centered the ball but I've seen many a Pro do this and since I tend to be slight outside to frame, this works for me.

> Still going with 681's right now, getting more comfort with them. Love their consistency on direction and distance. Bending ball is Mecredes Benz steady. Can go obscenely long too. But even if I'm swinging "B" level, I know what I'll get. Playing tomorrow, switching back to 56* Maruman SW. The Cobra wedge is 54* and I cannot deal with faster pace of greens with that. Favorite time of year for me to play here in Yankee New England. Cheers.

No I frame it dead center----- The reason behind this for me is I have never been a great ball striker and tend to hit more towards the toe but lining up in the hosel end scares the crap out of me. I think part of that with me also is I hit a lot of trick shots and can deliberately shank a ball on command and that is how I do it lining it up in the hosel. Sometimes trick shot artistry can screw one up in general.

Sorry but iVe been out of this thread for a while just got busy with tournaments and high school golf, i shot 38 and 40 back to back days in order for us to win our matches and are within one win of clinching the playoffs! But i recently have started to have problems with my wedges ( i use nike engage 52 and 56) like sometimes i dig to deep and chunk it and then ill thin the next one or ill hit a fade when i don't want to, I really don't think it comes down to my swing because I'm solid with everything, I play off a 5.5, But i was wondering if anybody has any recommendations for Cheap blades that you can tinker with pretty easy and if there are any wedges that look like a normal Titleist blade pw, I know it sounds weird but i like that style. In more perspective off you can't see what im talking about is the Ben hogan tk15 style wedge

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > Any of you guys frame the ball heel side with your blades? I started doing this and love the higher consistency of impact. Imparts a more inside path intent but allows for slight outside with better impact. I have always centered the ball but I've seen many a Pro do this and since I tend to be slight outside to frame, this works for me.

> > Still going with 681's right now, getting more comfort with them. Love their consistency on direction and distance. Bending ball is Mecredes Benz steady. Can go obscenely long too. But even if I'm swinging "B" level, I know what I'll get. Playing tomorrow, switching back to 56* Maruman SW. The Cobra wedge is 54* and I cannot deal with faster pace of greens with that. Favorite time of year for me to play here in Yankee New England. Cheers.

>

> No I frame it dead center----- The reason behind this for me is I have never been a great ball striker and tend to hit more towards the toe but lining up in the hosel end scares the crap out of me. I think part of that with me also is I hit a lot of trick shots and can deliberately shank a ball on command and that is how I do it lining it up in the hosel. Sometimes trick shot artistry can screw one up in general.

I hear you, I've always been weary of doing this out of same concerns but I tried it with short irons and I love the results. So I'll delve it a bit , if I can avoid the shankopotomous downside,....woo hoo.

> @PReardon said:

> Sorry but iVe been out of this thread for a while just got busy with tournaments and high school golf, i shot 38 and 40 back to back days in order for us to win our matches and are within one win of clinching the playoffs! But i recently have started to have problems with my wedges ( i use nike engage 52 and 56) like sometimes i dig to deep and chunk it and then ill thin the next one or ill hit a fade when i don't want to, I really don't think it comes down to my swing because I'm solid with everything, I play off a 5.5, But i was wondering if anybody has any recommendations for Cheap blades that you can tinker with pretty easy and if there are any wedges that look like a normal Titleist blade pw, I know it sounds weird but i like that style. In more perspective off you can't see what im talking about is the Ben hogan tk15 style wedge

I am not really a swing guru but I will try to help here. Obviously here you are getting too steep on your wedges. Stay down and try to swing the club around your body and complete the follow through. Most of the time you can find older cheap wedges at the thrift stores etc that you can experiment with. One word of caution on those finds that would apply to you playing comp. many of the older wedges are not conforming to the 2010 groove rules. On the Titleist wedge question a lot of the 252 256 series Vokey wedges have thin soles and low bounce but be careful on the conforming issue there. Another thing on your chunking issue may be the fact a lot of folks tend to cast or throw a wedge down from the top causing a chunk. Maybe have your coach look at you and advise

• Like 1

> @Kingcat990 said:

> Man, I really really like these ferrules. My lawd.

> e1cvp925oyo5.jpg

>

Man just stunning period!!!!!

> @PReardon said:

> Sorry but iVe been out of this thread for a while just got busy with tournaments and high school golf, i shot 38 and 40 back to back days in order for us to win our matches and are within one win of clinching the playoffs! But i recently have started to have problems with my wedges ( i use nike engage 52 and 56) like sometimes i dig to deep and chunk it and then ill thin the next one or ill hit a fade when i don't want to, I really don't think it comes down to my swing because I'm solid with everything, I play off a 5.5, But i was wondering if anybody has any recommendations for Cheap blades that you can tinker with pretty easy and if there are any wedges that look like a normal Titleist blade pw, I know it sounds weird but i like that style. In more perspective off you can't see what im talking about is the Ben hogan tk15 style wedge

For cheap blades, why not some Titleist blades of yore like the 680's or Hogan Fort Worth's of recent years. As far as wedge issues, make sure wedges are cohesive to irons in that weight and shaft match make"sense". Most Pro's go softer in flex w/ shafts, common that weight is inline or might even be heavier. Depends though, wedges are like putters, lots of nuanced shots so you need to find what works in the way you seek a working putter. All that leads back to swing & execution of it, big issue to this salty dog is rhythm & tempo in every type of swing. No one swings to perfection but the one big common thing I see with scratch to 5 players is higher consistency of swing rhythm for every shot, especially putters and wedge. Good luck.

> @Nard_S said:

> Any of you guys frame the ball heel side with your blades? I started doing this and love the higher consistency of impact. Imparts a more inside path intent but allows for slight outside with better impact. I have always centered the ball but I've seen many a Pro do this and since I tend to be slight outside to frame, this works for me.

> Still going with 681's right now, getting more comfort with them. Love their consistency on direction and distance. Bending ball is Mecredes Benz steady. Can go obscenely long too. But even if I'm swinging "B" level, I know what I'll get. Playing tomorrow, switching back to 56* Maruman SW. The Cobra wedge is 54* and I cannot deal with faster pace of greens with that. Favorite time of year for me to play here in Yankee New England. Cheers.

I absolutely do this and I find it promotes really good contact. I started doing it with my T-zoid Pros, as I found lining up in the center had pronounced bad contact but slightly inside was like flipping a switch. Works great on my MP-4s, and my old Hogan blades. To the extent that older irons have more of a COG in the heel, it just seemed intuitive that I should line up slightly inside. : )

> @Nard_S said:

> Any of you guys frame the ball heel side with your blades?

Don't care for the visual, and not sure it would work for me; my primary miss is heel. I'd have to switch to a reaching sort of address position for that to fit my swing, conceptually.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

A shout out for my blade brothers...

I was perusing 2nd Swing's website earlier, as one does on a Sunday morning while the wife sleeps in. It seems they have a set of MP-11s listed there, 1-PW. These are the North American companion to the MS-11, the same club, per Mizuno's response to my question. DGS shafts, FWIW.

Thought any of y'all who might be interested would like to hear about the availability of a beast such as this.

Disclaimer: not affiliated with 2nd Swing in any way, other than as a consumer.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > Any of you guys frame the ball heel side with your blades?

>

> Don't care for the visual, and not sure it would work for me; my primary miss is heel. I'd have to switch to a reaching sort of address position for that to fit my swing, conceptually.

So I played today, shot a not fun 84. But I was absolute chicken manure to try re-frame of ball, lol. I need to put in dirt time to go with it.

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > Yeah, the sharp leading edge and I have our moments. I guess it could force me not to be so steep, but I'd rather just have a little relief and not have to worry. Otherwise I love how they set up. They frame the ball as nice as anything I own. Can't wait to hit them, to be honest - the shafts are the perfect length and the grips are some sort of super rough Royal Grip tour wrap that are ribbed for my pleasure. What's not to like. I guess I am just sort of spoiled for clubs here, I am usually surprised how nice the condition is, that I get to expect that all the sticks on the market are virtually unused. These one's have seen about a seasons worth of action, not merely a week.

>

> The main thing is you found a set of Pro 82s which are rare.

You don't know how much time I put in my search for these bad boys. And, the more I see of them, the more I like them. They fit in nicely with other the Miura made sets I've got - Maruman Conductor Pros, Founders 200 series, Bridgestone Proisme and x300 FCI cbs. They frame the ball very similar to the Founders, but they have more meat on the top-line, seemingly (not a lot, but enough). A lot of the Japanese iron blogs remark how unlike usual Macgregror the Pro 82 is. Maybe that's a way of saying they are made in Japan

As for framing the ball, I've never really considered doing anything than the center of the face. Maybe it's because I started with Ping Eye 2s. The whole discussion of it sounds like one of those steps along the way leading to paralysis by overanalysis. I figure a well made (and fit) club will naturally find it's way to the correct impact position, if I make a good swing - the indian, not so much the arrow. So, it doesn't much matter where I hold the club at the beginning. Therefore, with all things being equal, just make sure I take the piece of steel back low and slow (but not too slow).

> @Nard_S said:

I’ve always set up on centre which seems to suit my natural fade

....with 2 exceptions. If I want to hit a draw, I address the ball slightly out of the toe which gives me the swing thought that I need to swing more from the inside and turn my right forearm over my left forearm more to generate the right to left ballflight. With bunker shots, I have been struggling with contact so I am experimenting with addressing the ball out of the heel to promote a more out to in swing to help me cut across the ball better. Early days yet, but initial results are favourable.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > > Yeah, the sharp leading edge and I have our moments. I guess it could force me not to be so steep, but I'd rather just have a little relief and not have to worry. Otherwise I love how they set up. They frame the ball as nice as anything I own. Can't wait to hit them, to be honest - the shafts are the perfect length and the grips are some sort of super rough Royal Grip tour wrap that are ribbed for my pleasure. What's not to like. I guess I am just sort of spoiled for clubs here, I am usually surprised how nice the condition is, that I get to expect that all the sticks on the market are virtually unused. These one's have seen about a seasons worth of action, not merely a week.

> >

> > The main thing is you found a set of Pro 82s which are rare.

> You don't know how much time I put in my search for these bad boys. And, the more I see of them, the more I like them. They fit in nicely with other the Miura made sets I've got - Maruman Conductor Pros, Founders 200 series, Bridgestone Proisme and x300 FCI cbs. They frame the ball very similar to the Founders, but they have more meat on the top-line, seemingly (not a lot, but enough). A lot of the Japanese iron blogs remark how unlike usual Macgregror the Pro 82 is. Maybe that's a way of saying they are made in Japan

>

How similar to the Proismes are they? I thought the line from the hosel to the top line and offset looked pretty similar, but that's only going off the pictures.

I'm joining the club with MP4s 4-PW that I bought off Callaway Preowned 4-PW with TT XP 105 R300 shafts.

I've gone and hit them 3 days in a row with reasonable success. I'm going to make them my gamers. I've been playing the local executive course the past few days on Friday scoring 45 / par 38 in 11 holes (2 repeat holes) and 16 / par 14 in holes which is a limited time availability option there.

I'm probably a much worse golfer than most here as I typically shoot about 46 on par 36 3,000 yard layouts. I'm coming from 716 AP2s with TT DG AMT R300 that at times feel too heavy that I've used most of the season. I love the look and feel of the MP4s so far. I'm golfing with a smile on my face.

xcje9xm0nuo0.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > > > Yeah, the sharp leading edge and I have our moments. I guess it could force me not to be so steep, but I'd rather just have a little relief and not have to worry. Otherwise I love how they set up. They frame the ball as nice as anything I own. Can't wait to hit them, to be honest - the shafts are the perfect length and the grips are some sort of super rough Royal Grip tour wrap that are ribbed for my pleasure. What's not to like. I guess I am just sort of spoiled for clubs here, I am usually surprised how nice the condition is, that I get to expect that all the sticks on the market are virtually unused. These one's have seen about a seasons worth of action, not merely a week.

> > >

> > > The main thing is you found a set of Pro 82s which are rare.

> > You don't know how much time I put in my search for these bad boys. And, the more I see of them, the more I like them. They fit in nicely with other the Miura made sets I've got - Maruman Conductor Pros, Founders 200 series, Bridgestone Proisme and x300 FCI cbs. They frame the ball very similar to the Founders, but they have more meat on the top-line, seemingly (not a lot, but enough). A lot of the Japanese iron blogs remark how unlike usual Macgregror the Pro 82 is. Maybe that's a way of saying they are made in Japan

> >

>

> How similar to the Proismes are they? I thought the line from the hosel to the top line and offset looked pretty similar, but that's only going off the pictures.

>

They are pretty similar, but the Proisme veers into more and more offset in the short irons where the 82 don't. Just got back from the range with them and they are nice. Can work the ball both ways. Went with 4 iron, 5-iron and 8-iron Pro82, Founders 5i, TN87 4i and the MR23. Might've hit the Pro 82 best (most consistently). They are just fun. Compared to the Founders they are more appealing to my eye. The grooves in the Founders make the blade look too long. The finish on the Founders is just a little nicer with the slight grind on the top line and paint in the grooves. The 82s all business - my kind of club. Also loving the Ping LST have it sitting set down to 9.4 degrees with the face slightly open and hitting nice mid-high fades without much trouble. Definitely ready to get out and play again - it's been a long summer.

hjk3cvk8we9h.jpeg

i6y2lqhyetu5.jpeg

sq14969l6shp.jpeg

• Like 1

> @BogeyParBogey said:

> I'm joining the club with MP4s 4-PW that I bought off Callaway Preowned 4-PW with TT XP 105 R300 shafts.

>

> I've gone and hit them 3 days in a row with reasonable success. I'm going to make them my gamers. I've been playing the local executive course the past few days on Friday scoring 45 / par 38 in 11 holes (2 repeat holes) and 16 / par 14 in holes which is a limited time availability option there.

>

> I'm probably a much worse golfer than most here as I typically shoot about 46 on par 36 3,000 yard layouts. I'm coming from 716 AP2s with TT DG AMT R300 that at times feel too heavy that I've used most of the season. I love the look and feel of the MP4s so far. I'm golfing with a smile on my face.

>

> xcje9xm0nuo0.jpg

>

> Dave

I think the smile is the biggest thing in favor of blades. I played a weird course this weekend--they had a 7 AM tee time open and I was up early. It was 18 holes, but a bit short--like 110 slope and an unbalanced number of par 3s. That being said, I hit 9 GIR and shot +20, despite aerated greens. Had 12 bogeys.

I was not a good ballstriker this time last year. I had legitimate struggles with topping the ball. Having blades in the bag and on the range keeps me hitting balls and has legitimately helped me groove an in-to-out swingpath that makes good contact and has good control--mostly because it makes it super clear when I've done something right, and repeating that is inherently a good thing to groove.

But, ultimately, I take a lot of pleasure in my good shots and little victories. My best shot of the round was a 5 iron that landed 6 feet from the pin, exactly as I drew it up with a nice draw. Those sort of memories help me build confidence and grow as my uneven game continues to progress to true bogey golf (and then, to chase breaking 90 and beyond. : ) ).

So, enjoy the new MP-4s. You've made an excellent purchase. They're wonderful clubs, and I think the memories of your good shots will outweigh the memories of the inconsistent/bad shots that we all deal with as amateur golfers.

• Like 1