2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Why does golf continue to have a dress code?

monkeyboy

Thats the way it should be ian. In my opinion. Listen the way i feel is just because your wearing jeans and a t to a course doesnt mean your a bad guy... ive also never see that before... but i personally wouldnt go to a wedding in pajamas lol i just feel sure you dont have to look preppy, at least just have shorts and a collared shirt of any brand on, tucked or untucked. Its really not that hard. Its like if i walk into a restraunt with a red shirt,lime pants and a blue mohawk. If people stair its kinda my fault i walked in their like that. If you are comfterbal doing things that way then enjoy it because you like it. I only judge someone once they open their mouth lol, but yeah id like the rules to stay the same... i dont think this has to do with whos rich whos not. Most ppl own at least 1 polo. Otherwise why are you so intrested in golf? Just to be a dress code rebel?

> @iNeedMoreGolf said:

> Otherwise why are you so intrested in golf? Just to be a dress code rebel?

You do realize you can be interested in golf because ... you’re interested in golf? The clothes you have on have literally zero to do with that.

You can want a sport that challenges you mentally and physically (to a degree) that you can maintain nearly until you die. You can want to compete verse yourself/a course at the same setting that the best person in the world could. I will never and could never play in MSG, I could get a tee time and go play the black course or pebble beach. None of that interest in golf has anything to do with the clothes someone else has on.

If you’re inviting me to your private party (like a wedding) and you want me to dress up, that’s awesome it’s your party I’m going to abide by your wishes. If you’re inviting me to your private club and I need to wear “appropriate” golf attire, that’s awesome and I’ll appreciate the invite and abide by the rules. If I’m going to a public place though and some artificial rule trying to uphold a “norm” or “tradition” that has already changed and adapted with society previously is preventing me from wearing what is allowed anywhere else in public, yeah I think that’s pretty dumb. I think it’s even more dumb when you look at the growth of the game, notice it’s hurting, and then potentially stunt the growth by holding onto arbitrary rules from the past to increase the barrier to entry (even if the literal barrier to entry, cost of a shirt is small, the mental aspect of I’m interested in x but I’m not welcome until I do Y) is a dumb barrier to have at all.

Some person wearing jean shorts and a cut off shirt does not impact my enjoyment of the game at all. Some person taking 15 shots on every hole and slowing it down obviously does but that person being dressed in slacks and a polo instead of jean shorts and cutoff would change zero about that particular situation.

• Like 1

I think in whole times have changed and like I say a lot it has to do with the demographics of the area. When I grew up my Old Man ran a public daily fee course and we had no dress code per say. The only code we had was you had to wear shirts in the clubhouse and that was because my Step Mom and a couple of other ladies worked in there.

When I moved here to the beach some 20 years ago at all the courses you had to wear "proper golf attire". That has changed somewhat unless it is at the upper tier ( read pricey) courses. I can remember at my home course you could not even go out on the range unless you had a collared shirt on and proper golf pants. Now it ain't so they even sell tee shirts in the pro shop with the course name on it. From a business standpoint I can see the changes after all we are at the beach and in a resort area and guests are on vacation and having fun. Personally I have no problem there. I also do not have any problem with private clubs or upscale courses having a dress code either. Me I just roll with the flow. I do not wear the latest and greatest in logo shirts and stuff but I do not dress shabby either. Being a big guy it is hard to find the latest and greatest in my sizes.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I tend to side with Shooter on this one...

[https://youtube.com/watch?v=x9xAdjYag7A](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9xAdjYag7A "https://youtube.com/watch?v=x9xAdjYag7A")

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

> @ian-500 said:

> I'm a metal head. I have long hair. Pretty much wear jeans and t-shirt all the time, but........I love dressing up for the course. I've worn plus fours and a tweed cap with my hair in a plait! I'm soo colourful when I play golf you can see me from a mile away, and I literally have more golf clothes than "normal" clothes. Crazy but true. Love golf and its traditions......and metal!! :)

Heheh cheers, my man. I'm an old punk rocker - hair past my shoulders (though thanks to the old part, it's slicked back and tied up most of the time), covered in tattoos (both arms sleeved to my hands, legs mostly covered, full backpiece, left side of my neck done) and I rock my all black, proper Gary Player style for every round.

When I played Pebble Beach several years ago, I was grouped with this awesome threesome of rad older guys, I'd guess late 50s. After a few holes, one of them comes up to me all "So, we've got a bet going about what it is you do that has you here." I reckon there aren't too many that look like me showing up there.

"I'm a betting man - what we got?"

"You're either in some band we've never heard of or on one of those tattoo TV shows."

"If you're all wrong, do I win?"

"Sure."

"I'm a software engineer. Pay me."

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

> @Pmookie said:

> LPGA ladies get to wear skirts and shorts, and tops that are almost tank tops, but PGA guys have to wear pants when it’s hot! Ridiculous. Let them wear shorts, good gracious !

This is coming. they are already letting them wear shorts during practice rounds. It will not be long that shorts will be worn in competition. It has been long allowed in the AM ranks. That being said, I am completely ok with whatever rule the course has. There is a muni right near my house that I will go to in gym shorts and flip flops to putt and chip around at. Then there is a much nicer course just up the street that I put on a collar, nice shorts, and my golf shoes to go hit balls off the grass, and use their much nicer facilities. Just have to know what is required and comply. It is not hard. Nor do I really want the dress code to change.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @caniac6 said:

> In the first post, the OP brought up comfort as a reason to wear a tee shirt to the range on a 90 degree day. I think a collared golf shirt made of wicking fabric is a lot more comfortable on a hot day than a cotton tee shirt.

Not all t-shirts are made of cotton. Of the 30 or so I own, I'd say less than 1/2 are cotton. Most are thinner and more breathable than my golf shirts, which are all rather thin and breathable. I don't recall the OP saying anything about a cotton t-shirt, though it's been a while since I read the OP, so I guess I could be wrong.

That said, I don't care one way or another. The course I play most has a basic dress code of "wear clothes". I've seen guys in white t-shirts with the sleeves ripped off and jean shorts, and I've seen guys in the newest trendy slim fitting clothes like Puma. I usually wear golf shorts and a collared golf shirt just because that's what I've always worn and it's comfortable enough for me. I honestly do not think I have ever played a round of golf in a t-shirt, nor do I think I ever will, but couldn't care less if someone else wants to. I've played in jeans when I didn't have time to go home and change after work, though to be fair, it is usually entirely too hot here to wear them on the course. What anybody else wears on the course, within the specified dress code, has absolutely zero bearing on my enjoyment of my round. Then again, I'm just a redneck from southeast Texas, so I'm probably a bit more laid back than some other folks.

One more thing, Nike mock neck shirts and blade collars are basically tee shirts. So Like I said, The dress code is relaxing and will continue to do so.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Sounds more like your Club's rules, plenty of places you can wear pretty much what you want to work on range, or even play golf. Judge Smails on your dress code committee? LOL

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I dress up for golf because I respect the game and other golfers on the course. Look good for yourself and for those around you. With today's tech fabrics, you can be stylish & comfortable at the same time, all without spending a ton of money. But please, play fast and leave your portable Bluetooth speaker at home.

• Like 1

Same question could be asked of many places. Why do certain restaurants require a certain level of attire? Why do people dress up to go see a play or to an orchestra performance?

Looking at it from 10,000 feet it seems to me that dressing up (or down for that matter) somehow impacts our level of civility and behaviour. You put on a tie it sort of changes your own expectations for your own behaviour. You up it a level. At least I do unconsciously.

Humans are funny animals. For the most part we are ashamed of our own nakedness (that aspect of the Original Sin story I guess). You put a certain set of clothes on us and we behave differently. Cut offs and a Molly Hatchet t-shirt for a mud bog and we get pretty red. Slacks and an oxford and you get the same person acting a different way. Set him at a table with a white table cloth in a suit and he is certainly very conscious of which fork he is supposed to be using.

• Like 2

I love wearing nice golf clothing on the course, but I've never been a fan of the fact that I can't wear work-out clothes on the range at my club. Would be really nice to be able to wear an outfit that I could hit the gym in after hitting balls during the week without having to change. The problem is that without a dress code, there always seems to be some idiot that can't use common sense and would out there beating balls in nothing but a banana-hammock.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

> @BCULAW said:

> It's funny. I used to work at a very stuffy firm where dark suits and white shirts were the required attire. Any time an employee would ask about the dress code, the partners made clear that the suit was the required uniform. It promoted a certain amount of professionalism and civility that might potentially be lost in a more "casual" environment. It harkens back to the old Crash Davis line from Bull Durham. "if you dress classy, you'll look classy, and you'll be classy.". I've always assumed golf dress codes were intended to support the same notion.

I'll second this. My first law firm was a V10 firm and "casual Friday" meant you could wear a blue dress shirt and a tie that was a color other than blue or red. I now work at a boutique where there is no dress code; some guys still dress in suits and ties daily, others where jeans with t-shirts. While everyone at my current firm went to one of only a handful of law schools and we've all previously worked for a highly-ranked BigLaw firm, the atmosphere at my current firm felt much more professional and was definitely more civil. There is something about forced uniformity (pun intended) that breeds professionalism, at least as it applies to dress codes.

Also, while I only ever wear a suit when I'm meeting with a client or going to court, I'm all for dress codes at golf courses. I don't want to see Uncle Buck out on the course in basketball shorts and his favorite Budweiser t-shirt.

• Like 2

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

I definitely feel like things are getting a little more lax, even look at the mock collar golf shirts Nike is making. Most golf pants are basically track pants. Jackets are basically work out clothes.

Only dumb thing I had come across was our local private club told me to tuck in my shirt when I wasn’t wearing a belt kind of annoying.

> @PracticeAprl said:

> I definitely feel like things are getting a little more lax, even look at the mock collar golf shirts Nike is making. Most golf pants are basically track pants. Jackets are basically work out clothes.

>

> Only dumb thing I had come across was our local private club told me to tuck in my shirt when I wasn’t wearing a belt kind of annoying.

Yep that is the one thing that annoys me also. I always dress in propper attire (with a belt) even though I play 95% of my rounds at my local muni which has no dress code. When I go home and play at my parents or uncles club you have to tuck in your shirt. Gets all bunched up and you keep having to tuck it back in.

Makes no sense to me that if I'm in propper attire I should be uncomfortable while Im playing. Personally I don't see wearing a nice shirt untucked as looking sloppy in the least bit.

Nope it’s goofy I am always the best dressed sometimes I don’t like tucking my shirt. Do admit the shorts or pants with the sticky rubber band inside sure helps for keeping shirts from pulling up. As well as I wear tighter shirts so they don’t bunch ( nor do they hang low untucked)

> @Eric267 said:

> > @PracticeAprl said:

> > I definitely feel like things are getting a little more lax, even look at the mock collar golf shirts Nike is making. Most golf pants are basically track pants. Jackets are basically work out clothes.

> >

> > Only dumb thing I had come across was our local private club told me to tuck in my shirt when I wasn’t wearing a belt kind of annoying.

>

> Yep that is the one thing that annoys me also. I always dress in propper attire (with a belt) even though I play 95% of my rounds at my local muni which has no dress code. When I go home and play at my parents or uncles club you have to tuck in your shirt. Gets all bunched up and you keep having to tuck it back in.

>

> Makes no sense to me that if I'm in propper attire I should be uncomfortable while Im playing. Personally I don't see wearing a nice shirt untucked as looking sloppy in the least bit.

> @PracticeAprl said:

> I definitely feel like things are getting a little more lax, even look at the mock collar golf shirts Nike is making.

Those were popular in the early 2000s as well when Tiger started wearing them, so I wouldn't say they are a sign of it getting more lax as of late.

I remember playing a nice private club in New Jersey back in 05 (Fiddler's Elbow in Bedminster). It was a club that was corporate memberships only, and the company I was at (I was their client's site rep) had a membership. They got me several rounds while I was up there over the year. The second time I went, I was wearing a mock neck shirt (with appropriate golf shorts and tucked in as required). When I checked in, the guy at the counter said "you need a collared shirt". I tried telling him that it was a collar, and he argued that I needed a traditional collar. In my arrogance (I was 25 at the time, we all thought we knew everything), I told him "Tiger Woods wears these on the PGA Tour and they require collars, so what's the problem?". He looked at me with a blank stare and said "You're not Tiger Woods and this isnt the PGA Tour, you can put on a shirt with a collar or play somewhere else". So, I bought a shirt in the pro shop for an astronomical amount of money and played golf. Played there several more times, so apparently I didnt piss anyone off too bad thankfully.

Out of sheer curiosity I just checked their dress code requirements on their webiste. They now have a statement "for mock collared shirts, the collar must be a minimum of 1 1/2" ". Apparently they didnt care 15 years ago, lol.

Low end munis should not have dress codes. Have it be as accessible as possible for anyone to play.

As for higher end public courses/private clubs, I think the biggest problem is the amount of American golf courses that put on the facade of being an upscale golf course worthy of the fees included so they feel they can levy a dress code. The amount of golf courses in the US that charge exorbitant amounts of money for, at best, better than average conditions and course layout is far too many. With those courses, it becomes a classist thing where you want to put on this image of "oh i belong to this course, look at me, look how proper everyone looks!". The US private membership structure is effed when compared to the UK/Ireland. At least in the UK/Ireland, they have some tradition at the club which can warrant a dress code.

> @Philomathesq said:

> I'll second this. My first law firm was a V10 firm and "casual Friday" meant you could wear a blue dress shirt and a tie that was a color other than blue or red. I now work at a boutique where there is no dress code; some guys still dress in suits and ties daily, others where jeans with t-shirts. While everyone at my current firm went to one of only a handful of law schools and we've all previously worked for a highly-ranked BigLaw firm, the atmosphere at my current firm felt much more professional and was definitely more civil. There is something about forced uniformity (pun intended) that breeds professionalism, at least as it applies to dress codes.

>

> Also, while I only ever wear a suit when I'm meeting with a client or going to court, I'm all for dress codes at golf courses. I don't want to see Uncle Buck out on the course in basketball shorts and his favorite Budweiser t-shirt.

Uncle Buck wearing his favorite polo shirt, stretched to it's limits by the prodigious gut hanging over his pleated kahki shorts is less an offence to your sensibilities?

> @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > @Philomathesq said:

> > I'll second this. My first law firm was a V10 firm and "casual Friday" meant you could wear a blue dress shirt and a tie that was a color other than blue or red. I now work at a boutique where there is no dress code; some guys still dress in suits and ties daily, others where jeans with t-shirts. While everyone at my current firm went to one of only a handful of law schools and we've all previously worked for a highly-ranked BigLaw firm, the atmosphere at my current firm felt much more professional and was definitely more civil. There is something about forced uniformity (pun intended) that breeds professionalism, at least as it applies to dress codes.

> >

> > Also, while I only ever wear a suit when I'm meeting with a client or going to court, I'm all for dress codes at golf courses. I don't want to see Uncle Buck out on the course in basketball shorts and his favorite Budweiser t-shirt.

>

> Uncle Buck wearing his favorite polo shirt, stretched to it's limits by the prodigious gut hanging over his pleated kahki shorts is less an offence to your sensibilities?

>

I'll say this... I'd rather see your version of Uncle Buck than mine.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

> @monkeyboy said:

> Some days I just go to the range to hit some balls or chip and putt. Can be a pain to get 'dressed up' in the 90 degrees heat and humidity sometimes when I am just trying to get out of the house for a quick hour or so. Would be awesome if I could wear a T-shirt at least. My club is pretty low brow, yet still have to wear collared ****, etc.

> What other sports does one get 'dressed up' to play where the clothes is not tied to functionality?

> Swimming = you wear a bathing suit optimized for the task

> Baseball / football / Basketball = uniforms that match the sports needs

> Golf = all you need is to be as comfortable as possible and wear non restrictive clothes, yet a collar and $70 shorts/pants are required

> I don't see it as a 'respect thing' - respect for what?

> thoughts?

The sport of life?