Best Rain gear

chbrake

Per their site it is only waterproof for two years, wouldn’t that imply it is waterproof due to coating? My Hydrolite’s certainly have not proven waterproof.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

> @Stetson said:

> Per their site it is only waterproof for two years, wouldn’t that imply it is waterproof due to coating? My Hydrolite’s certainly have not proven waterproof.

I think the Hydrolite line is rated at 10,000 water resistance where the Dryjoy Tour line is rated for 20,000 water resistance. What I don't get about Dryjoy is their warranty. I have some of their older rain jackets (top of line at the time) and they were guaranteed waterproof for two years even though they were DWR coating only. I have one of their later Tour line suits which is the laminated construction and its only guaranteed for two years also. I would think it should offer a better warranty. Combine that with Dryjoys gear basically never offered on sale and to me their products aren't competitive vs other available products.

> @Stetson said:

> Per their site it is only waterproof for two years, wouldn’t that imply it is waterproof due to coating? My Hydrolite’s certainly have not proven waterproof.

In apparel, and I can state this from having dealt with and talked about warranties for most of the companies I sell products from, a “warranty” period is basically how long the company wants to keep back stock (for warranty replacement) of a particular style for. The vast, vast majority of customers, when filing a warranty claim, want the exact color/size/style of garment back as a replacement, if said garment has to be replaced and not repaired...and most companies just replace, it’s not economical to repair. And I’m not getting too far back into it, as I’ve discussed warranties many times, but warranty periods don’t really tell you a whole lot about the garment. Warranties are not something I even remotely consider when I buy rain gear, both for my own personal use, or when I am deciding on what to carry for resale to my customers. I’ve dealt with warranty claims for virtually every maker of rain gear that’s sold in the US, and any of them can (and do) deny requests. I’ve spent more money on rain gear than humanly advisable, probably by a magnitude of 10-20x over even the most avid golfer, and I don’t put two seconds of consideration into a “warranty length” when buying this stuff. Even the mythical GoreTex warranty that is not as good as people misinterpret (discussed this at length as well).

As far your Hydrolite not being waterproof, I can’t help you there. I’ve sold more Hydrolite than any other single piece/model/style of rain gear, and I’ve not had one fail/have a warranty claim due to water entry. Again, it’s not my personal favorite due to fit (US FootJoy never will be...far too baggy), but even my kick around pieces that I use for work (which means I’m not taking care of them at all) have never failed. I use my crap pretty hard (in downpours at the course, clearing clogged drains, on equipment, etc) and recent FJ has never failed. In fact I’ve only had 3 pieces of rain gear that I own fail, 1 Under Armour jacket (proprietary membrane), and both of my Kjus Dexters. And with the Dexters I realized it was due to my misinterpretation of their use case scenario after talking at length with Kjus direct regarding the water entry.

10-4 good buddy.

As for the hydrolite’s you are correct that they are too baggy and the fit is poor. The fit being so loose makes them extremely hot and unpleasant to wear for more than a brief period.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

> @tiger-vs-me said:

> Galvin Green, never had a better rain gear

>

There really isnt a debate on what is best it is more an economics question. Do you want to spend what it takes to get the best (Galvin Green), or are you going to get something inferior at a cheaper price. I get my GG stuff from Function 18. It is a UK website with free delivery and returns with more inventory than I have ever seen at a US store. As stated it does run a tad on the smallish side, but I order my normal size and it usually fits well if not a tad snug. I have run the rain gear race and there is nothing as good as GG. Most gear will keep you dry, I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear.

> @vallygolf said:

> > @tiger-vs-me said:

> > Galvin Green, never had a better rain gear

> >

>

> There really isnt a debate on what is best it is more an economics question. Do you want to spend what it takes to get the best (Galvin Green), or are you going to get something inferior at a cheaper price. I get my GG stuff from Function 18. It is a UK website with free delivery and returns with more inventory than I have ever seen at a US store. As stated it does run a tad on the smallish side, but I order my normal size and it usually fits well if not a tad snug. I have run the rain gear race and there is nothing as good as GG. Most gear will keep you dry, I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear.

Calvin Green is literally no better than any other GoreTex rain gear. They can’t use any more “premium” materials, as the material itself is dictated by Gore Industries, not Galvin Green. Galvin Green’s Paclite, GoreTex 3L, ShakeDry, etc laminates are the same that all Gore licensing clothing labels have access to. You can’t make something more premium when you don’t even make the material. I do like Galvin Green also, and own stupid amounts of it, but that’s more for the styling than the tech. GoreTex Paclite is GoreTex Paclite, it doesn’t matter what clothing label’s name is on it.

> @chris975d said:

> > @vallygolf said:

> > > @tiger-vs-me said:

> > > Galvin Green, never had a better rain gear

> > >

> >

> > There really isnt a debate on what is best it is more an economics question. Do you want to spend what it takes to get the best (Galvin Green), or are you going to get something inferior at a cheaper price. I get my GG stuff from Function 18. It is a UK website with free delivery and returns with more inventory than I have ever seen at a US store. As stated it does run a tad on the smallish side, but I order my normal size and it usually fits well if not a tad snug. I have run the rain gear race and there is nothing as good as GG. Most gear will keep you dry, I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear.

>

> Calvin Green is literally no better than any other GoreTex rain gear. They can’t use any more “premium” materials, as the material itself is dictated by Gore Industries, not Galvin Green. Galvin Green’s Paclite, GoreTex 3L, ShakeDry, etc laminates are the same that all Gore licensing clothing labels have access to. You can’t make something more premium when you don’t even make the material. I do like Galvin Green also, and own stupid amounts of it, but that’s more for the styling than the tech. GoreTex Paclite is GoreTex Paclite, it doesn’t matter what clothing label’s name is on it.

Ya, Got that.... "I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear." Should have specified, the softer flexible material Im speaking of is the non waterproof areas, and design. I mentioned that all waterproofing will keep you dry. Tried them all, my opinion.

> @vallygolf said:

> > @chris975d said:

> > > @vallygolf said:

> > > > @tiger-vs-me said:

> > > > Galvin Green, never had a better rain gear

> > > >

> > >

> > > There really isnt a debate on what is best it is more an economics question. Do you want to spend what it takes to get the best (Galvin Green), or are you going to get something inferior at a cheaper price. I get my GG stuff from Function 18. It is a UK website with free delivery and returns with more inventory than I have ever seen at a US store. As stated it does run a tad on the smallish side, but I order my normal size and it usually fits well if not a tad snug. I have run the rain gear race and there is nothing as good as GG. Most gear will keep you dry, I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear.

> >

> > Calvin Green is literally no better than any other GoreTex rain gear. They can’t use any more “premium” materials, as the material itself is dictated by Gore Industries, not Galvin Green. Galvin Green’s Paclite, GoreTex 3L, ShakeDry, etc laminates are the same that all Gore licensing clothing labels have access to. You can’t make something more premium when you don’t even make the material. I do like Galvin Green also, and own stupid amounts of it, but that’s more for the styling than the tech. GoreTex Paclite is GoreTex Paclite, it doesn’t matter what clothing label’s name is on it.

>

> Ya, Got that.... "I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear." Should have specified, the softer flexible material Im speaking of is the non waterproof areas, and design. I mentioned that all waterproofing will keep you dry. Tried them all, my opinion.

I have 2 GG Gore-tex pieces: a Paclite short sleeve and a Paclite full zip. I've used them both for 2-3 years and I'm very happy with the performance and fit. This spring, our club got some of the new Kjus Pro 3L 2.0 jackets and pants, I used some shop credit to buy one of the jackets (thankfully I had some as the $500 sticker price almost put me into shock) and I've never been happier. The stretch panels across the back are unbelievable. The jackets actually come in right and left-handed models; based on how the stretch panels are set up. Pretty cool technology, it blows the Paclite stuff away in terms of flexibility. It breathes so much better than Gore-Tex. Especially in warm weather, I'm not sure i'll ever wear Paclite again.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

> @Togatown22 said:

> > @vallygolf said:

> > > @chris975d said:

> > > > @vallygolf said:

> > > > > @tiger-vs-me said:

> > > > > Galvin Green, never had a better rain gear

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > There really isnt a debate on what is best it is more an economics question. Do you want to spend what it takes to get the best (Galvin Green), or are you going to get something inferior at a cheaper price. I get my GG stuff from Function 18. It is a UK website with free delivery and returns with more inventory than I have ever seen at a US store. As stated it does run a tad on the smallish side, but I order my normal size and it usually fits well if not a tad snug. I have run the rain gear race and there is nothing as good as GG. Most gear will keep you dry, I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear.

> > >

> > > Calvin Green is literally no better than any other GoreTex rain gear. They can’t use any more “premium” materials, as the material itself is dictated by Gore Industries, not Galvin Green. Galvin Green’s Paclite, GoreTex 3L, ShakeDry, etc laminates are the same that all Gore licensing clothing labels have access to. You can’t make something more premium when you don’t even make the material. I do like Galvin Green also, and own stupid amounts of it, but that’s more for the styling than the tech. GoreTex Paclite is GoreTex Paclite, it doesn’t matter what clothing label’s name is on it.

> >

> > Ya, Got that.... "I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear." Should have specified, the softer flexible material Im speaking of is the non waterproof areas, and design. I mentioned that all waterproofing will keep you dry. Tried them all, my opinion.

>

> I have 2 GG Gore-tex pieces: a Paclite short sleeve and a Paclite full zip. I've used them both for 2-3 years and I'm very happy with the performance and fit. This spring, our club got some of the new Kjus Pro 3L 2.0 jackets and pants, I used some shop credit to buy one of the jackets (thankfully I had some as the $500 sticker price almost put me into shock) and I've never been happier. The stretch panels across the back are unbelievable. The jackets actually come in right and left-handed models; based on how the stretch panels are set up. Pretty cool technology, it blows the Paclite stuff away in terms of flexibility. It breathes so much better than Gore-Tex. Especially in warm weather, I'm not sure i'll ever wear Paclite again.

I have not tried the new Kjus offerings. My earlier comment on "most will keep you dry" was based on my only non dry experience being in a Kjus jacket. This has been a few years though. Ill have to check them out again when its time to swap.

• Like 1

> @Togatown22 said:

> > @vallygolf said:

> > > @chris975d said:

> > > > @vallygolf said:

> > > > > @tiger-vs-me said:

> > > > > Galvin Green, never had a better rain gear

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > There really isnt a debate on what is best it is more an economics question. Do you want to spend what it takes to get the best (Galvin Green), or are you going to get something inferior at a cheaper price. I get my GG stuff from Function 18. It is a UK website with free delivery and returns with more inventory than I have ever seen at a US store. As stated it does run a tad on the smallish side, but I order my normal size and it usually fits well if not a tad snug. I have run the rain gear race and there is nothing as good as GG. Most gear will keep you dry, I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear.

> > >

> > > Calvin Green is literally no better than any other GoreTex rain gear. They can’t use any more “premium” materials, as the material itself is dictated by Gore Industries, not Galvin Green. Galvin Green’s Paclite, GoreTex 3L, ShakeDry, etc laminates are the same that all Gore licensing clothing labels have access to. You can’t make something more premium when you don’t even make the material. I do like Galvin Green also, and own stupid amounts of it, but that’s more for the styling than the tech. GoreTex Paclite is GoreTex Paclite, it doesn’t matter what clothing label’s name is on it.

> >

> > Ya, Got that.... "I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear." Should have specified, the softer flexible material Im speaking of is the non waterproof areas, and design. I mentioned that all waterproofing will keep you dry. Tried them all, my opinion.

>

> I have 2 GG Gore-tex pieces: a Paclite short sleeve and a Paclite full zip. I've used them both for 2-3 years and I'm very happy with the performance and fit. This spring, our club got some of the new Kjus Pro 3L 2.0 jackets and pants, I used some shop credit to buy one of the jackets (thankfully I had some as the $500 sticker price almost put me into shock) and I've never been happier. The stretch panels across the back are unbelievable. The jackets actually come in right and left-handed models; based on how the stretch panels are set up. Pretty cool technology, it blows the Paclite stuff away in terms of flexibility. It breathes so much better than Gore-Tex. Especially in warm weather, I'm not sure i'll ever wear Paclite again.

Lots of things blow Paclite tech out of the water now. Paclite is a pretty old and pretty basic tech. Yes, it’ll keep you dry, but it (like most GoreTex products) will not breathe well.

> @chris975d said:

> > @Togatown22 said:

> > > @vallygolf said:

> > > > @chris975d said:

> > > > > @vallygolf said:

> > > > > > @tiger-vs-me said:

> > > > > > Galvin Green, never had a better rain gear

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > There really isnt a debate on what is best it is more an economics question. Do you want to spend what it takes to get the best (Galvin Green), or are you going to get something inferior at a cheaper price. I get my GG stuff from Function 18. It is a UK website with free delivery and returns with more inventory than I have ever seen at a US store. As stated it does run a tad on the smallish side, but I order my normal size and it usually fits well if not a tad snug. I have run the rain gear race and there is nothing as good as GG. Most gear will keep you dry, I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear.

> > > >

> > > > Calvin Green is literally no better than any other GoreTex rain gear. They can’t use any more “premium” materials, as the material itself is dictated by Gore Industries, not Galvin Green. Galvin Green’s Paclite, GoreTex 3L, ShakeDry, etc laminates are the same that all Gore licensing clothing labels have access to. You can’t make something more premium when you don’t even make the material. I do like Galvin Green also, and own stupid amounts of it, but that’s more for the styling than the tech. GoreTex Paclite is GoreTex Paclite, it doesn’t matter what clothing label’s name is on it.

> > >

> > > Ya, Got that.... "I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear." Should have specified, the softer flexible material Im speaking of is the non waterproof areas, and design. I mentioned that all waterproofing will keep you dry. Tried them all, my opinion.

> >

> > I have 2 GG Gore-tex pieces: a Paclite short sleeve and a Paclite full zip. I've used them both for 2-3 years and I'm very happy with the performance and fit. This spring, our club got some of the new Kjus Pro 3L 2.0 jackets and pants, I used some shop credit to buy one of the jackets (thankfully I had some as the $500 sticker price almost put me into shock) and I've never been happier. The stretch panels across the back are unbelievable. The jackets actually come in right and left-handed models; based on how the stretch panels are set up. Pretty cool technology, it blows the Paclite stuff away in terms of flexibility. It breathes so much better than Gore-Tex. Especially in warm weather, I'm not sure i'll ever wear Paclite again.

>

> Lots of things blow Paclite tech out of the water now. Paclite is a pretty old and pretty basic tech. Yes, it’ll keep you dry, but it (like most GoreTex products) will not breathe well.

I've never been a fan of the Paclite since typically there is no inner liner thus the Goretex material is against your skin. This gives a rubbery sensation and gives you the false impression that it's leaking. I have a long sleeve full zip Paclite that I keep for cooler temps when I have on long sleeves or a sweater underneath and there is the chance of rain.

> @cristphoto said:

> > @chris975d said:

> > > @Togatown22 said:

> > > > @vallygolf said:

> > > > > @chris975d said:

> > > > > > @vallygolf said:

> > > > > > > @tiger-vs-me said:

> > > > > > > Galvin Green, never had a better rain gear

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > There really isnt a debate on what is best it is more an economics question. Do you want to spend what it takes to get the best (Galvin Green), or are you going to get something inferior at a cheaper price. I get my GG stuff from Function 18. It is a UK website with free delivery and returns with more inventory than I have ever seen at a US store. As stated it does run a tad on the smallish side, but I order my normal size and it usually fits well if not a tad snug. I have run the rain gear race and there is nothing as good as GG. Most gear will keep you dry, I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear.

> > > > >

> > > > > Calvin Green is literally no better than any other GoreTex rain gear. They can’t use any more “premium” materials, as the material itself is dictated by Gore Industries, not Galvin Green. Galvin Green’s Paclite, GoreTex 3L, ShakeDry, etc laminates are the same that all Gore licensing clothing labels have access to. You can’t make something more premium when you don’t even make the material. I do like Galvin Green also, and own stupid amounts of it, but that’s more for the styling than the tech. GoreTex Paclite is GoreTex Paclite, it doesn’t matter what clothing label’s name is on it.

> > > >

> > > > Ya, Got that.... "I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear." Should have specified, the softer flexible material Im speaking of is the non waterproof areas, and design. I mentioned that all waterproofing will keep you dry. Tried them all, my opinion.

> > >

> > > I have 2 GG Gore-tex pieces: a Paclite short sleeve and a Paclite full zip. I've used them both for 2-3 years and I'm very happy with the performance and fit. This spring, our club got some of the new Kjus Pro 3L 2.0 jackets and pants, I used some shop credit to buy one of the jackets (thankfully I had some as the $500 sticker price almost put me into shock) and I've never been happier. The stretch panels across the back are unbelievable. The jackets actually come in right and left-handed models; based on how the stretch panels are set up. Pretty cool technology, it blows the Paclite stuff away in terms of flexibility. It breathes so much better than Gore-Tex. Especially in warm weather, I'm not sure i'll ever wear Paclite again.

> >

> > Lots of things blow Paclite tech out of the water now. Paclite is a pretty old and pretty basic tech. Yes, it’ll keep you dry, but it (like most GoreTex products) will not breathe well.

>

> I've never been a fan of the Paclite since typically there is no inner liner thus the Goretex material is against your skin. This gives a rubbery sensation and gives you the false impression that it's leaking. I have a long sleeve full zip Paclite that I keep for cooler temps when I have on long sleeves or a sweater underneath and there is the chance of rain.

>

>

Yeah. What it is doing is when the membrane (the rubbery part) is in contact with your skin, it traps the perspiration that is constantly evaporating from the surface of your skin, condensing on the membrane itself. Forming a tiny amount of moisture right there at that contact point. Feels “wet”. And if it’s hot enough outside and you perspire more, that sweat can actually wet you/your clothes. This is why breath ability is SO important in the 2 layer products.

• Like 1

> @chris975d said:

> > @Togatown22 said:

> > > @vallygolf said:

> > > > @chris975d said:

> > > > > > @tiger-vs-me said:

> > > > > > Galvin Green, never had a better rain gear

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > There really isnt a debate on what is best it is more an economics question. Do you want to spend what it takes to get the best (Galvin Green), or are you going to get something inferior at a cheaper price. I get my GG stuff from Function 18. It is a UK website with free delivery and returns with more inventory than I have ever seen at a US store. As stated it does run a tad on the smallish side, but I order my normal size and it usually fits well if not a tad snug. I have run the rain gear race and there is nothing as good as GG. Most gear will keep you dry, I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear.

> > > >

> > > > Calvin Green is literally no better than any other GoreTex rain gear. They can’t use any more “premium” materials, as the material itself is dictated by Gore Industries, not Galvin Green. Galvin Green’s Paclite, GoreTex 3L, ShakeDry, etc laminates are the same that all Gore licensing clothing labels have access to. You can’t make something more premium when you don’t even make the material. I do like Galvin Green also, and own stupid amounts of it, but that’s more for the styling than the tech. GoreTex Paclite is GoreTex Paclite, it doesn’t matter what clothing label’s name is on it.

> > >

> > > Ya, Got that.... "I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear." Should have specified, the softer flexible material Im speaking of is the non waterproof areas, and design. I mentioned that all waterproofing will keep you dry. Tried them all, my opinion.

> >

> > I have 2 GG Gore-tex pieces: a Paclite short sleeve and a Paclite full zip. I've used them both for 2-3 years and I'm very happy with the performance and fit. This spring, our club got some of the new Kjus Pro 3L 2.0 jackets and pants, I used some shop credit to buy one of the jackets (thankfully I had some as the $500 sticker price almost put me into shock) and I've never been happier. The stretch panels across the back are unbelievable. The jackets actually come in right and left-handed models; based on how the stretch panels are set up. Pretty cool technology, it blows the Paclite stuff away in terms of flexibility. It breathes so much better than Gore-Tex. Especially in warm weather, I'm not sure i'll ever wear Paclite again.

>

> Lots of things blow Paclite tech out of the water now. Paclite is a pretty old and pretty basic tech. Yes, it’ll keep you dry, but it (like most GoreTex products) will not breathe well.

Yes, that's basically the point of my post. I was surprised how far these fabrics have come (Toray, eVent, etc), and folks who haven't given them a look probably should if they are looking at new rain gear.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

> @Togatown22 said:

> > @chris975d said:

> > > @Togatown22 said:

> > > > @vallygolf said:

> > > > > @chris975d said:

> > > > > > > @tiger-vs-me said:

> > > > > > > Galvin Green, never had a better rain gear

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > There really isnt a debate on what is best it is more an economics question. Do you want to spend what it takes to get the best (Galvin Green), or are you going to get something inferior at a cheaper price. I get my GG stuff from Function 18. It is a UK website with free delivery and returns with more inventory than I have ever seen at a US store. As stated it does run a tad on the smallish side, but I order my normal size and it usually fits well if not a tad snug. I have run the rain gear race and there is nothing as good as GG. Most gear will keep you dry, I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear.

> > > > >

> > > > > Calvin Green is literally no better than any other GoreTex rain gear. They can’t use any more “premium” materials, as the material itself is dictated by Gore Industries, not Galvin Green. Galvin Green’s Paclite, GoreTex 3L, ShakeDry, etc laminates are the same that all Gore licensing clothing labels have access to. You can’t make something more premium when you don’t even make the material. I do like Galvin Green also, and own stupid amounts of it, but that’s more for the styling than the tech. GoreTex Paclite is GoreTex Paclite, it doesn’t matter what clothing label’s name is on it.

> > > >

> > > > Ya, Got that.... "I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear." Should have specified, the softer flexible material Im speaking of is the non waterproof areas, and design. I mentioned that all waterproofing will keep you dry. Tried them all, my opinion.

> > >

> > > I have 2 GG Gore-tex pieces: a Paclite short sleeve and a Paclite full zip. I've used them both for 2-3 years and I'm very happy with the performance and fit. This spring, our club got some of the new Kjus Pro 3L 2.0 jackets and pants, I used some shop credit to buy one of the jackets (thankfully I had some as the $500 sticker price almost put me into shock) and I've never been happier. The stretch panels across the back are unbelievable. The jackets actually come in right and left-handed models; based on how the stretch panels are set up. Pretty cool technology, it blows the Paclite stuff away in terms of flexibility. It breathes so much better than Gore-Tex. Especially in warm weather, I'm not sure i'll ever wear Paclite again.

> >

> > Lots of things blow Paclite tech out of the water now. Paclite is a pretty old and pretty basic tech. Yes, it’ll keep you dry, but it (like most GoreTex products) will not breathe well.

>

> Yes, that's basically the point of my post. I was surprised how far these fabrics have come (Toray, eVent, etc), and folks who haven't given them a look probably should if they are looking at new rain gear.

Exactly. There are many good waterproof fabrics on the market now. GoreTex is actually behind tech in several categories now...like overall weight, breath ability, stretch. Waterproof is waterproof, and GoreTex does that well. But there’s a reason that more and more premium/high end (aka expensive) rain gear isn’t GoreTex anymore. Even Zero Restriction, a historical mainly GoreTex company (going all the way back to when they were Red Lion, probably the first high end golf specific rain gear company) is using non GoreTex tech in its highest priced jacket.

• Like 1

I been reading this forum a lot. And as ahesitant person, i would like to say i finally settle on the hydroknit from footjoy. I was looking for a 1/2 zip for less restrictiom during the swing. I was hesitant to buy something from europe cause of the possible return hassle. Every footjoy i tried in the past was ALWAYS too big. I am a very small guy at 5,10' and 130 lbs. Small wasnt even close to fit me. Now, i ordered the small in the hydroknit is way better. I would have like an adjustable waist but works without it. Tried the pullover last week for an tournament with intermittent rainfall. BEST JACKET I EVER HAD. it is stretchy, comfortable, not too hot, waterprook with a 15kmm, folds nicely in the bag. Will probably be also an alternate jumper. Cant recomment it enough guys.

And its the first time i bought something golf related at full price.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

> @chris975d said:

> > @Togatown22 said:

> > > @chris975d said:

> > > > @Togatown22 said:

> > > > > > @chris975d said:

> > > > > > > @vallygolf said:

> > > > > > > > @tiger-vs-me said:

> > > > > > > > Galvin Green, never had a better rain gear

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > There really isnt a debate on what is best it is more an economics question. Do you want to spend what it takes to get the best (Galvin Green), or are you going to get something inferior at a cheaper price. I get my GG stuff from Function 18. It is a UK website with free delivery and returns with more inventory than I have ever seen at a US store. As stated it does run a tad on the smallish side, but I order my normal size and it usually fits well if not a tad snug. I have run the rain gear race and there is nothing as good as GG. Most gear will keep you dry, I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Calvin Green is literally no better than any other GoreTex rain gear. They can’t use any more “premium” materials, as the material itself is dictated by Gore Industries, not Galvin Green. Galvin Green’s Paclite, GoreTex 3L, ShakeDry, etc laminates are the same that all Gore licensing clothing labels have access to. You can’t make something more premium when you don’t even make the material. I do like Galvin Green also, and own stupid amounts of it, but that’s more for the styling than the tech. GoreTex Paclite is GoreTex Paclite, it doesn’t matter what clothing label’s name is on it.

> > > > >

> > > > > Ya, Got that.... "I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear." Should have specified, the softer flexible material Im speaking of is the non waterproof areas, and design. I mentioned that all waterproofing will keep you dry. Tried them all, my opinion.

> > > >

> > > > I have 2 GG Gore-tex pieces: a Paclite short sleeve and a Paclite full zip. I've used them both for 2-3 years and I'm very happy with the performance and fit. This spring, our club got some of the new Kjus Pro 3L 2.0 jackets and pants, I used some shop credit to buy one of the jackets (thankfully I had some as the $500 sticker price almost put me into shock) and I've never been happier. The stretch panels across the back are unbelievable. The jackets actually come in right and left-handed models; based on how the stretch panels are set up. Pretty cool technology, it blows the Paclite stuff away in terms of flexibility. It breathes so much better than Gore-Tex. Especially in warm weather, I'm not sure i'll ever wear Paclite again.

> > >

> > > Lots of things blow Paclite tech out of the water now. Paclite is a pretty old and pretty basic tech. Yes, it’ll keep you dry, but it (like most GoreTex products) will not breathe well.

> >

> > Yes, that's basically the point of my post. I was surprised how far these fabrics have come (Toray, eVent, etc), and folks who haven't given them a look probably should if they are looking at new rain gear.

>

> Exactly. There are many good waterproof fabrics on the market now. GoreTex is actually behind tech in several categories now...like overall weight, breath ability, stretch. Waterproof is waterproof, and GoreTex does that well. But there’s a reason that more and more premium/high end (aka expensive) rain gear isn’t GoreTex anymore. Even Zero Restriction, a historical mainly GoreTex company (going all the way back to when they were Red Lion, probably the first high end golf specific rain gear company) is using non GoreTex tech in its highest priced jacket.

What is the verdict on actual waterproof perfomance on these materials? Im out in some pretty nasty stuff at times (non golf). GoreTex is the only material that has been consistent in keeping me dry. (Actually only once did I get wet and it was in a non goretex Kjus.) That has been a few years though. I guess I am asking if the waterproofing in the new non goreTex stuff is as bulletproof.

> @vallygolf said:

> > @chris975d said:

> > > @Togatown22 said:

> > > > @chris975d said:

> > > > > @Togatown22 said:

> > > > > > > @chris975d said:

> > > > > > > > @vallygolf said:

> > > > > > > > > @tiger-vs-me said:

> > > > > > > > > Galvin Green, never had a better rain gear

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > There really isnt a debate on what is best it is more an economics question. Do you want to spend what it takes to get the best (Galvin Green), or are you going to get something inferior at a cheaper price. I get my GG stuff from Function 18. It is a UK website with free delivery and returns with more inventory than I have ever seen at a US store. As stated it does run a tad on the smallish side, but I order my normal size and it usually fits well if not a tad snug. I have run the rain gear race and there is nothing as good as GG. Most gear will keep you dry, I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Calvin Green is literally no better than any other GoreTex rain gear. They can’t use any more “premium” materials, as the material itself is dictated by Gore Industries, not Galvin Green. Galvin Green’s Paclite, GoreTex 3L, ShakeDry, etc laminates are the same that all Gore licensing clothing labels have access to. You can’t make something more premium when you don’t even make the material. I do like Galvin Green also, and own stupid amounts of it, but that’s more for the styling than the tech. GoreTex Paclite is GoreTex Paclite, it doesn’t matter what clothing label’s name is on it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Ya, Got that.... "I prefer GG because it allows me to swing freely in a softer material than most noisy restrictive raingear." Should have specified, the softer flexible material Im speaking of is the non waterproof areas, and design. I mentioned that all waterproofing will keep you dry. Tried them all, my opinion.

> > > > >

> > > > > I have 2 GG Gore-tex pieces: a Paclite short sleeve and a Paclite full zip. I've used them both for 2-3 years and I'm very happy with the performance and fit. This spring, our club got some of the new Kjus Pro 3L 2.0 jackets and pants, I used some shop credit to buy one of the jackets (thankfully I had some as the $500 sticker price almost put me into shock) and I've never been happier. The stretch panels across the back are unbelievable. The jackets actually come in right and left-handed models; based on how the stretch panels are set up. Pretty cool technology, it blows the Paclite stuff away in terms of flexibility. It breathes so much better than Gore-Tex. Especially in warm weather, I'm not sure i'll ever wear Paclite again.

> > > >

> > > > Lots of things blow Paclite tech out of the water now. Paclite is a pretty old and pretty basic tech. Yes, it’ll keep you dry, but it (like most GoreTex products) will not breathe well.

> > >

> > > Yes, that's basically the point of my post. I was surprised how far these fabrics have come (Toray, eVent, etc), and folks who haven't given them a look probably should if they are looking at new rain gear.

> >

> > Exactly. There are many good waterproof fabrics on the market now. GoreTex is actually behind tech in several categories now...like overall weight, breath ability, stretch. Waterproof is waterproof, and GoreTex does that well. But there’s a reason that more and more premium/high end (aka expensive) rain gear isn’t GoreTex anymore. Even Zero Restriction, a historical mainly GoreTex company (going all the way back to when they were Red Lion, probably the first high end golf specific rain gear company) is using non GoreTex tech in its highest priced jacket.

>

> What is the verdict on actual waterproof perfomance on these materials? Im out in some pretty nasty stuff at times (non golf). GoreTex is the only material that has been consistent in keeping me dry. (Actually only once did I get wet and it was in a non goretex Kjus.) That has been a few years though. I guess I am asking if the waterproofing in the new non goreTex stuff is as bulletproof.

Well it kind of depends on what you prefer to believe. You can go with the anecdotal performance that’s talked about here, or you can actually look to independent testing and even the people who truly use outdoor and rain gear to its fullest by watching and reading on outdoor gear websites and forums. GoreTex WILL keep you dry, that’s no question. But so will Derzimax (Toray), NeoShell, eVent, OutDry, Pertex, ProQuip’s tech, FootJoys tech, Kjus’ tech etc. And most all of those are light years beyond Gore in breath ability and stretch. You’re not going to have such a high number of outdoor athletes (rock climbers, runners, hikers, etc) that do way more physical exertion in more extreme conditions than us frilly little golfers do preferring those materials if they weren’t performing. And very few high end/performance companies would be making $500-$600 (or more) pieces of apparel if it didn’t keep you dry. They won’t be very successful if the product doesn’t actually work. Look at the testing and simply look at the waterproofing rating. 20K and higher is going to keep you dry, and I can validate that from experience. I’ve tested just about everything made up through the beginning of this year (next purchase will be the new FootJoy premium jacket...that material looks amazing in its performance).

With Gore, yes, again, you do get waterproofing. But you also have to remember is that a not so insignificant portion of the price you pay for that piece of apparel is the manufacturer’s (Under Armour, Sunice, etc) licensing fee to Gore to be able to use the GoreTex name. I’ve talked to manufacturers and the price difference between a garment made from Gore licensed material and material that isn’t Gore, but is virtually identical in performance is pretty significant. Remember, the tech in this day an age isn’t all that complicated or rocket science ....GoreTex is basically just a Teflon sheet. Other companies that aren’t paying those licensing fees can sink those costs back into R&D,

Again, Gore is great for waterproofing, and I’ve never said it wasn’t (for those that occasionally call me anti-GoreTex). I own GoreTex stuff. But I also know the industry and know that Gore has done a remarkable job of marketing and strong arming their way to a reputation as “the best”, when there are equal to better (depending on if you value things in addition to waterproofing) techs out there.

• Like 1

Couple of people have inquired about Linksoul's rain gear. I sent them a message this morning inquiring about their Rain Gear Jacket and this is the response I received:

"This jacket is made from 92% polyester 8% spandex with 4 way stretch and the DWR finish is made from a 10Kx10K waterproof/breathable laminate. It will withstand light rain. "

The matching pant looks the same so the response is probably similar.

• Like 1

Someone else asked about Sunderland. I had also inquired about their Whisperdry Pro-lite jacket and received this response:

"We can confirm that our waterproof suits have a waterproof rating of 8000mm and a breathability rating of 5000g/24hours, and are deemed to be very high performing products."

• Like 1

> @CousinDonuts said:

> Someone else asked about Sunderland. I had also inquired about their Whisperdry Pro-lite jacket and received this response:

> "We can confirm that our waterproof suits have a waterproof rating of 8000mm and a breathability rating of 5000g/24hours, and are deemed to be very high performing products."

8000mm rating? Yeah...I wouldn’t count on that keeping you dry in any sustained rain. I’ve had 10,000mm jackets let water in within 30 minutes or so of being in a sustained rain.

Good info you got there!

Hmm, when I called Sunderland about the Vancouver they told me 20k rating.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

> @Minarets said:

> Hmm, when I called Sunderland about the Vancouver they told me 20k rating.

It’s very possible that they have products with multiple waterproof ratings. That’s not uncommon at all. Typically as the price goes up across a manufacturers line up, the waterproof rating increases as well.

> @Minarets said:

> Hmm, when I called Sunderland about the Vancouver they told me 20k rating.

I've been looking at the Sunderland products, specifically the Vancouver. Their website indicates a 8k rating for the Vancouver. Based upon what Chris says I am too skeptical to pull the trigger. Too bad as their prices were attractive, guess I'll consider that a too good to be true scenario.

554g3l6pujca.png

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

After re-looking i had the names mixed. It was the Quebec that I had asked about as I assumed as it was more expensive it was better. That said, if the Canc

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Thoughts on cross sports wear? I know the sizing runs small, but it doesnt really bother me to size up and the sizing chart seems clear enough. Was thinking about getting the M Pro Jacket (20k/20k) and the hurricane pants (15k/15k) total would be $212 shipped. From what I have seen I don't think I could do much better for the price. Anything else I should look at in the sub 300 range?