2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

ST190 questions

chuck_schalch

Really like the look of the Mizuno ST190 driver. Anyone have one in the bag or done any extensive testing? Wondering how the launch and spin is compared to other drivers (Ping g410, m6, ts2, epic flash). I have found a little bit of info out there but not much. I don’t have the option of testing unfortunately, but I have about 112 swing speed and typically a mid launch and mid spin player.

Burner Superfast TP 8.5 Motore F1 75X
Titleist 915F 15 Whiteboard 80S
Ping i25 19 Tour Stiff
Ping S55 4-PW S300's
54 & 60 Vokeys
Oddesey Metal X #9

I have the ST190G and love it. We have similar swing speeds. Of the other drivers you mentioned, I've only hit the EFSZ, with which I did not get along.

The Mizuno does a great job of keeping spin down. The nice thing is that the weights in the ST190G can be adjusted to accommodate different spin numbers (high spin players can put the weights in the front positions, while players that don't want to reduce spin too much can put the weights in the middle of back positions).

It is also sexy as hell.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

I have nothing but massive praise for the ST190. I am going to post a thread on it after I get some Trackman numbers as I truly believe it is an amazing driver. Stock it is right in the same realm as the 2016 M2 and the TS3 in terms of spin and forgiveness. So it is pretty low spinning (if stuck well) but not as forgiving as the PING 400/410 series. However if you like to play your drivers a bit shorter/heavier than stock then I highly recommend fitting some aftermarket weights into the ST190. I have mine at 44.5" with a 16g weight in the back (the stock weight is 2g, the ring around it is 4g) which brings it somewhere between the M6 and the TS2 in terms of forgiveness, which is quite a bit. Still not in the same forgiveness league as the PING's, but still solid.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Duplicate Deleted

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Great drivers and fairway woods for sure, and the Atmost TS shafts are definitely spin killers. Started with the 190 and went to the G since I found the first one a little fade biased and I've always played a slight draw.

A bunch in here on tweaking the swingweight, which really makes them shine: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1766463/mizuno-st190-swing-weight-custom-adjustment/p1

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

Played the ST 190G with the Atmos black TS for a while. It felt a little firm off the face and I think I may have needed a little more spin, but I have not seen faster ball speeds for my swings with any other driver yet. If I wasn't so erratic with it I'd probably still be gaming it. Great driver, you just have to find the right combo with the right 190 head.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

I just traded in my Rogue for an ST190 and so far it's been amazing. I use a shorter shaft (44.5") so I removed the stock weight and moved up to an 8g weight but now it's perfect.

Have been hitting my farthest drives of the year with it so far.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Have both the driver and the fairways. ST190G in the driver. Not to say that the regular wasn't for me but went off of the Keith Mitchell video where he said the G sounded better and I agree. He put hotmelt in the regular to achieve the same sound. In the fairways went regular cause I've only had success with bonded fairways. Went shot in the dark for shafts and I have found a lineup to last several years. The Driver is by far the straightest and most consistent I have had with the fairways being sleepers and fit my gaps of 270 and 250. I have lead tape on the bottom of the fairways and none on the drivers. Have had great success so far with not checking the specs at a club builder.

Rogue ST Triple D 11.5 RDX SMOKE BLACK 70 X 45.25

Mavrik SubZero 16.5 Adila Tour White 80x 42.25

19* Zu85 Modus 105X

TCB RAW 4-AW Modus 120 X

56*14 RTX 6 Raw Modus 125W

60*8 RTX 6 Raw Tour ISSUE S400

1980 Ping Anser

Ball: Chrome Tour

Mine’s the ST180. I like it because straight off the shelf it is 3/4” shorter and 15g heavier than my stock M4 was. Also love the compact looking clubhead.

I am not usually much bothered by hitting hooks. Hit I do get the impression that ST180 is somewhat anti-left compared to some drivers I’ve used.

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> I just traded in my Rogue for an ST190 and so far it's been amazing. I use a shorter shaft (44.5") so I removed the stock weight and moved up to an 8g weight but now it's perfect.

>

> Have been hitting my farthest drives of the year with it so far.

Where/How did you get the 8g weight?

Mizuno MP-H5/MP-15/MP-5 Combo Irons  * Cleveland RTX4 46,50,54,58 Wedges * Ping G400 Driver, 3, & 5 Wood * Taylormade Spider Tour Black Putter

> @project_fish said:

> > @third-times-a-charm said:

> > I just traded in my Rogue for an ST190 and so far it's been amazing. I use a shorter shaft (44.5") so I removed the stock weight and moved up to an 8g weight but now it's perfect.

> >

> > Have been hitting my farthest drives of the year with it so far.

>

> Where/How did you get the 8g weight?

Used a taylormade weight

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

The clubface looks closed to me at setup, but it is decently low spinning off the face. Really solid club.

Titleist TSR3 9º | VA Composite VYLYN 65

Stealth Plus 15º| Diamana ZF 70 
Stealth Plus 19º | Diamana ZF 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour | KBS Tour
Vokey SM9 50/54/58  | DG TI S400

Bettinardi | Queen Bee 6

TaylorMade TP5X

> @Grizpharm said:

> This driver is filthy long and straight. I’ve hit all the others you mentioned but this is the best driver IMO

I agree with you, but just kind of looks shut at address to my eye.

Titleist TSR3 9º | VA Composite VYLYN 65

Stealth Plus 15º| Diamana ZF 70 
Stealth Plus 19º | Diamana ZF 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour | KBS Tour
Vokey SM9 50/54/58  | DG TI S400

Bettinardi | Queen Bee 6

TaylorMade TP5X

I have a Ping G in a 9* with a Diamana D+ in 70X. To get similar launch, should I go with the 9.5 or 10.5 in the ST190? Will be pairing it with the ATMOS Black 6X

Burner Superfast TP 8.5 Motore F1 75X
Titleist 915F 15 Whiteboard 80S
Ping i25 19 Tour Stiff
Ping S55 4-PW S300's
54 & 60 Vokeys
Oddesey Metal X #9

Anyone game the st190 with HZRDUS Smoke shaft?

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

I am in the ST190 and have been for about 2 weeks after swinging SZEF all summer. I have the Tensei White X in mine and I agree, it looks a little shut at address, but I hit the 2 furthest drives of the summer as well. Excited to get it back out this week and see if I can keep it going a little straighter more consistently. I have been told that I will love a Ventus in it as well...Seems like another $300 I don’t want to spend right now.

Aerojet LS - Radspeed XB

Aerojet 3w 13.5

One Length LTD 19

23 T200 4 and 5 iron

23 T150 6-P

MG4 50 55 58

Mack Made Custom Wallace

Toulon Atlanta

I have the ST180 and GT180 drivers and GT180 3 wood. I put an EvenFlow White @ 44 3/4" in the drivers, and have hit some drives this summer that are in places I've never been before, ever. Some of this may be the shaft, as this EvenFlow really seems to fit me so well, but these heads are definitely as good if not better than anything I've tried from the big boys the last few years. Even slight mishits I'm surprised how far they go and either still in the fairway or just into the first cut. I find the ST180 to be much lower launch/spin than the GT180, even with the weights moved all the way forward, but both are phenomenal. Plus the ball just seems to shoot off the face of the ST whereas the GT has a much softer feel/muted sound. The 3 wood has a Tensei White and also excellent. I've struggled so much to find a decent 3 wood that I haven't even carried one the last few years, but now the combo of these clubs has me reaching several par 5s that I haven't even considered going for in 2 for quite some time.

I haven't even bothered trying the 190 line since I stumbled onto these and they work so well for me, so can't help there, but thought I'd throw up my take on Mizuno woods. My SS is just a little south of OP's and I'm typically a very high/launch player and these have definitely helped with that for me.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

• 1 month later...

I just bought a mint LH Mizuno ST190 and had it delivered yesterday. It came with a stock Fujikura Atmos blue 6s, I assume this is a made for since it was kinda terrible for Fujikura standards. Very high spin and ball flight. Shaft really feels cheap, are the Atmos tour spec better? I love the speeder line.

Anyways, back to the driver, it hit it today in an open outdoor range off natural grass with tees. Holy crap this thing sounds terrible, really high pitched ringing. Not very fun to hit. Am I crazy, or is this really unpleasant sounding? I thought my old Ping G was bad. Is there a way I can dampen the sound? Would a shaft change matter? Thanks.

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

> @lefty1978 said:

> I just bought a mint LH Mizuno ST190 and had it delivered yesterday. It came with a stock Fujikura Atmos blue 6s, I assume this is a made for since it was kinda terrible for Fujikura standards. Very high spin and ball flight. Shaft really feels cheap, are the Atmos tour spec better? I love the speeder line.

>

> Anyways, back to the driver, it hit it today in an open outdoor range off natural grass with tees. Holy crap this thing sounds terrible, really high pitched ringing. Not very fun to hit. Am I crazy, or is this really unpleasant sounding? I thought my old Ping G was bad. Is there a way I can dampen the sound? Would a shaft change matter? Thanks.

Yes you're crazy.

Nothing "high pitched" about mine. Nothing cheap feeling.

Nothing I've hit feels, looks, sounds, and most importantly, performs better than my ST190 with the same shaft.

> @aquapig said:

> > @lefty1978 said:

> > I just bought a mint LH Mizuno ST190 and had it delivered yesterday. It came with a stock Fujikura Atmos blue 6s, I assume this is a made for since it was kinda terrible for Fujikura standards. Very high spin and ball flight. Shaft really feels cheap, are the Atmos tour spec better? I love the speeder line.

> >

> > Anyways, back to the driver, it hit it today in an open outdoor range off natural grass with tees. Holy crap this thing sounds terrible, really high pitched ringing. Not very fun to hit. Am I crazy, or is this really unpleasant sounding? I thought my old Ping G was bad. Is there a way I can dampen the sound? Would a shaft change matter? Thanks.

>

> Yes you're crazy.

>

> Nothing "high pitched" about mine. Nothing cheap feeling.

>

> Nothing I've hit feels, looks, sounds, and most importantly, performs better than my ST190 with the same shaft.

>

>

Just to be clear, I never said the driver felt cheap, the shaft does to me. I am going to reshaft it, I have a few different shafts laying around that are more to my specs. I am a Mizuno guy, so I want to like it.

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind