2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Fort Myers Beach - Feb

ruascott

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

What's the best end of town to stay in to put yourself nearest to all of the golf courses? Also keep in mind that we'll want to Uber to nightlight and dinner a few nights. Thanks!

ft Myers night life lmao.

bell tower shopping center is solid area for distance to restaurants.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

What's the best end of town to stay in to put yourself nearest to all of the golf courses? Also keep in mind that we'll want to Uber to nightlight and dinner a few nights. Thanks!

I like the Bell Tower and the downtown ideas. If per chance you want something different during the day, the Everglades City Seafood Festival is Feb 8-10. It’s like your local county fair with fresh stone crab claws cheap. The festival is a genuine hoot.

• 2 weeks later...

I second Shell Point. If you're used to chipping short of the green and running the ball up to the pin on some bump and runs that technique may not work as well at Sh ell Point. The grass in the front of the green seems to grab the ball and make it sit down instead of release. May have to land everything on the greens but it's a fun, well conditioned course. It does look like the ran out room for some of the last few holes on the back side but still an enjoyable track.

Ok thanks. SP it is.

Now need to decide between Corkscrew and Raptor Bay for the 2nd round! Raptor like $50 cheaper.

I'm actually in ft myers right now trying to decide between those two for tomorrow.

My pro friend says corkscrew is awesome, but I will probably hate him after cause it's hard. Fwiw lol

Edit: raptor is 104 on GolfNow, If u check a couple days out.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Ok thanks. SP it is.

Now need to decide between Corkscrew and Raptor Bay for the 2nd round! Raptor like $50 cheaper.

Tough choice. I’m a full-time local and I wouldn’t pay those green fees during the season at either course. I can’t speak for every local but we generally play the ultra-premium courses during the spring and summer when rates are well below $100. Heck, if playing a Nicklaus course would make you happy, go for Corkscrew. Raptor Bay is more playable and there are no sand traps. Hope this helps.

Magnolia Landing is also a decent course. Has some cool holes. Definitely worth a look.

https://magnolialandingclub.com/Public_Homepage_(1)/Golf_Course_Information

That one looked good too, but looked like it was a good bit further away.

Ok thanks. SP it is.

I'm actually in ft myers right now trying to decide between those two for tomorrow.

My pro friend says corkscrew is awesome, but I will probably hate him after cause it's hard. Fwiw lol

What did you decide on?

We did this last year. To find good golf we ended up having to drive ~45 minutes each way. Traffic wasn’t actually that bad, we play in the morning and be back after lunch. We rented a house on the north side and walked to all the bars, group of guys in early 30’s and we had fun. Yo Taco was an every night thing for some of the guys. I’ll try to look up where we played. Corkscrew over Raptor all day every day although Raptor is closer.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Looking at my handicap card now. We played Raptor the day we landed, Magnolia the next day after picking a few more guys up from the airport, had our pro get us on the Forest CC, FT Myers CC, and Stoneybrook on the last day on the way out.

Raptor is ok, I’ve played it a number of times, pretty tight for a resort course in some spots. Conditioning is usually fine.

Magnolia was solid, everyone liked it. Not that expensive either but a hike.

The Forest was perfect, really close compared to the rest. Didn’t seem like a snobby cub, anyone have a pro that can call? We got 2 4 somes into their morning wave shotgun and pace of play was awesome. This was a Saturday and they had a champions tour Monday qualifier or something the next week.

Ft Myers CC - maybe it was my hangover and the heat but I didn’t enjoy this much. Relatively slow and felt like people were firing balls from all directions a few times. Being able to jump the fence and get beer and snacks from the 7/11 was sweet. It’s a Donald Ross, if anyone is having issues with chipping and the change in grass from their home region prepare to be pissed off all day.

Stoneybrook - only half the group played but we all liked it, would add it next time as a regular course for sure.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Magnolia Landing is also a decent course. Has some cool holes. Definitely worth a look.

https://magnolialandingclub.com/Public_Homepage_(1)/Golf_Course_Information

That one looked good too, but looked like it was a good bit further away.

Ok thanks. SP it is.

What did you decide on?

Raptor. Corkscrew was $200. Easy decision lol.

Shot an 84 :(

Ok thanks. SP it is.

Tough choice. I’m a full-time local and I wouldn’t pay those green fees during the season at either course. I can’t speak for every local but we generally play the ultra-premium courses during the spring and summer when rates are well below $100. Heck, if playing a Nicklaus course would make you happy, go for Corkscrew. Raptor Bay is more playable and there are no sand traps. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I'll probably just wait and see what is available for a decent deal a day or two out.

Will be staying on the island for a week in early Feb. Likely get a couple rounds in.... where should we head? Closer the better, but we can drive a reasonable way....traffic seems to be a challenge in-season.

I'm also going to be down in Fort Myers the 3rd to the 10th for family business but will be able to get a way a couple of times, let me know.

Callaway XR 10.5/ Penley ETA 55G stiff
T. Made M-1 17*
Titleist 915 18*
4-pw Adams CMB Gold/Dynalite Gold S300 XP
SM6 52/56/60
S.C. Fastback.
Hdcp 0.3

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back. Weather was perfect. We played Ft Myers CC, which was a fun start. Decent conditions and tough Ross greens. The atmosphere after the round was fun for dinner and drinks as they have a great restaurant on the property.

Second day we played Eastbrook. Fairly tight on some holes, but probably the fastest greens we played all week.

Panther Run, is still a great layout, but conditions were very disappointing. Not worth the drive.

River Hall was great. Awesome breakfast buffet and another great layout with much better conditions.

Finally, Old Corkscrew is in really good shape. A very tough target golf course, but a really solid end to the week.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be Fort Myers this coming Saturday thru Wednesday. Most likely playing Eagle Ridge and Shell Point due to price and convenience. I hate the traffic down there and want to be gone the least amount of time possible to avoid angry wife since this is a family trip. She will probably join me for 9 one day.

Ft. Myers Country Club over and over.

This times a million! Played it for the first time the other day, what a great layout! It is a muni, but the conditions are 100% playable unless you are the type who complains about a bare patch 30 yards off the fairway.

It is a Donald Ross design, and has alot of character!

So I ended up playing 18 at Eagle Ridge and 9 (back 9) at Shell Point.

Eagle Ridge was in okay shape but really wet. Pretty much every tee shot ended up plugged or muddy. I actually plugged a bladed 7 iron that never got more than 30 feet of the ground! The greens and bunkers were good at least.

Shell Point was in excellent shape, but I do have a major complaint. I called and asked if I could get out first thing as a single. No problem, they gave me a 7:16 tee time. I get there about 6:55 and comfirm with the cart assistant that I'm first out and playing as a single. This is important because I need to be out of there by 10. I go in and pay, and come back out and see they've paired me up with another single. Slightly annoying, but no big deal, we can still play fast. The other guy is a so-so player but very good company and played fast. We get about 4 holes in and the ranger comes by and tells us we're playing too fast. He goes on to explain they send groups off both sides and we can't make the turn until 9:04. He stops by a little later and actually makes us play #15 twice! I have to admit I was pretty pissed. So I obviously couldn't make the turn and had to go in and get a rain check, which they weren't very cool about either, saying I could only use it after 4 pm. Now I have to find time to get back out there before it expires or throw away $50. ?

• 5 months later...

Played Raptor Bay and Old Corkscrew this week. Both very soggy, Raptor worse.

OCs pins were stuck at the edges or just over ridges. If you have the wedge game, which l dont. there were several opportunities to throw the ball past the flag and back it down to the hole. Need to play OC again to know where to go. Didnt feel either course had faster than normal greens. About $40 to play each course. Summer rates going directly to their websites. Bring alot of balls to OC. You dont want to go off the grass to look for balls. Saw an alligator in the pond on 17.

• 1 month later...