looking to get some New Vokey wedges should i wait for SM8

zachvlah

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t change flex for my wedges but some do. The SM7 and SM6 are pretty similar, look great and perform great. I personally like the SM6 slightly more but not much difference. I have not seen the SM8.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I’m always curious if there’s a technology ceiling beyond new looks and badging. I get a new sand wedge every year and I am up to Sm 7 in 56, however I have not found gap wedges in 50-52 that I have liked more or hit better than SM4s.

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

> @"Carl Spackler3" said:

> I’m always curious if there’s a technology ceiling beyond new looks and badging. I get a new sand wedge every year and I am up to Sm 7 in 56, however I have not found gap wedges in 50-52 that I have liked more or hit better than SM4s.

I would say wedges have far less 'technology' than pretty well any other club. Putters can get massive weight differences, lengths, grips, inserts. Irons now have hollow body/thinner face and more titanium going in and shaft selection. Woods are marketed to be the best ever, but only on miss hits now. How much have wedges changed in the last 80-100 years? Shape basically the same, can only do so much with the grooves (tho marketing will tell you it is the greatest ever). If you plan on playing golf over the next 5 months, buy the SM7's and enjoy them now, vs wait, pay more for the 8s and have no appreciable difference other than maybe a finish and cosmetic back.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

Unless the SM8 model will offer you something wonderful the earlier models lack, get the earlier models. If you wait for a spring golf expo, chances are you can get the 50/54/58 in SM7 or maybe even SM6 for under $100 a club. Often these wedges will be demos or even new ones.

As for shafting, a Vokey rep I met gave this advice: Unless a specialty wedge shaft will give you some added benefit for your shots, go with the shaft you have in your irons. For the clubs you often hit for full shot (often PW and GW), use the same-same shaft. For clubs you normally use for partial shots (SW and LW), go with iron shaft that is softstepped.

Now if you get the SM7 or SM6, most likely they carry standard wedge shafts. For SM7, this is the DG S200, 130 grams and low-launch like all DGs. You can either live with these shafts, or replace them with shafts you use in your irons, or a specialty wedge shaft. This brings in a cost-comparison issue:

1. Are you better off to buy the SM6s or SM7s and pay to have them reshafted, or...

2. better off to get SM8 wedges from factory with custom shafts (your iron shafts)?

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @zachvlah said:

> should i go 50/54/58 my pitching wedge is 46 degrees?

You need to gap test! Don't just buy wedges based on random guess. You need to see 1. how far you hit your PW and how that blends into your gap wedge and 2. what shots you will be playing with what wedges.

Personally I MUCH prefer having a 56/60 rather than 54/58. That is what works for my game. Many find a 58 much easier to use than a 60. Some pros opt for the 48 Vokey rather than set PW with AP2/T100 and then go 52/56/60. There are lots of combos and just as irons are fit so should wedges. You'll adapt to whatever you get I'm sure but I'd really make sure you're hitting your yardages that you need.

I agree with @kcd38 on this one. If the new images are real, I think I might re-up on a set of wedges so I have a backup when my current ones grooves wear out.

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @Moshjean said:

> Tbh, haven’t seen a difference in performance from SM4 through SM7.

> Figure out which lofts and grinds works best for you, and differences will be negligible.

When I got back into Vokey wedges after playing other stuff for a couple years, I ended up with 2 SM6 and 2 SM7 in the bag just because that's the ones I could find (lefty) in the loft and bounce that I wanted. I can't tell a lick of difference between them. And I played SM5, SM4 and the plain Spin Milled years ago. All those just played like Vokeys to me.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @Moshjean said:

> > Tbh, haven’t seen a difference in performance from SM4 through SM7.

> > Figure out which lofts and grinds works best for you, and differences will be negligible.

>

> When I got back into Vokey wedges after playing other stuff for a couple years, I ended up with 2 SM6 and 2 SM7 in the bag just because that's the ones I could find (lefty) in the loft and bounce that I wanted. I can't tell a lick of difference between them. And I played SM5, SM4 and the plain Spin Milled years ago. All those just played like Vokeys to me.

Same, I used the old spin milled vokeys too, just not sure the grind on them.

I've used 50F, 54S, 58M since the SM5 range. I've demo'd the SM6 and SM7 in the same specs at a chipping area and to me they are indiscernible from the SM5.

Will only be upgrading when the grooves are worn off.

> @zachvlah said:

> so i just got the titleist t100 irons 4-pw and looking to get 3 new wedges 50.54.58. should i go ahead and get the sm7s or wait till the sm8s come out.....Also do you guys recommend getting the same shaft in your wedges as you have in your irons just a flex down? When do you think the sm8s will come out?

I'm in the same boat about replacing my sm6 54/58. Have you looked at the Glide 3.0's? I like the grind/bounce versatility of Vokey wedges, but the videos on the new Hydropearl finish on the Pings have been pretty amazing. I'm thinking about waiting until the SM8s are released and then testing them head-to-head (can probably find some decent deals on Glide 3.0s by then).

Driver: nope

2W: TaylorMade Mini 300 (13.5*) - Ventus Blue 7x 

5W: Cobra SpeedZone (18*) - Ventus Blue 8x

4H: PING G410 (22*) - Tour AD-95x

5i-PW: Srixon zX5/7 - Project X LZ 6.5

GW: PING Glide 3.0 - Project X Rifle 6.5

SW: Vokey TVD-K Grind - Project X Rifle 6.5

LW: TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw LB - Project X Rifle 6.5

P: Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 (Crescent Neck)

> @"Florida Gator" said:

> SM7s are great wedges, **** I still drop my SM5 TVD60 Low Bounce K in the bag occasionally. I really don’t know what tech advantage the SM8 could possibly have that makes it worth waiting for. Replace your wedges when the grooves are shot or have the faces blasted to extend the life.

For years now, I've considered a "Vokey Wedge" to basically be an easily replaced consumable. Kind of like golf balls. If you practice at all out of bunker and such, they wear out in just a year or two. And I'm a "Full Grind" kind of golfer. So when one of my F-grind Vokeys wears out I just get another in the same loft and if it's an SM6 instead of SM7 or whatever, it doesn't seem to matter.

Right now lefty SM6's in like-new or shop-worn condition are showing up frequently on eBay for as little as 70 bucks, shipped. No way I'm waiting and paying $150 for, say, an F-grind 54-degree SM8 if I can get a similar SM6 for less than half that much. Not for a club that I'll be throwing away in a couple years anyway (by then the SM8 will be under $100, right?).

> @balls_deep said:

> > @zachvlah said:

> > should i go 50/54/58 my pitching wedge is 46 degrees?

> You need to **gap test!** Don't just buy wedges based on random guess. You need to see 1. how far you hit your PW and how that blends into your gap wedge and 2. what shots you will be playing with what wedges.

Definitely do the gap test. I got a rough outdoor fitting for Vokeys. Wanted them at the short end of a Callaway iron set with 46* PW. For distance, the best gaps came out at 50, 56, 60. Just wasn't much separation in distance between 50* and 54* for some reason.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

• 4 weeks later...

> @zachvlah said:

> so i just got the titleist t100 irons 4-pw and looking to get 3 new wedges 50.54.58. should i go ahead and get the sm7s or wait till the sm8s come out.....Also do you guys recommend getting the same shaft in your wedges as you have in your irons just a flex down? When do you think the sm8s will come out?

I've done both with the shafts and it really made no difference performance wise. For lofts 46* - 52* Vokey's that would play as your GW for full swings I would use the shafts from my irons but thats it. The wedge flex (S200) that Vokey uses are fine for SW and LW. I just got all new irons (4-GW) and vokeys (SM7). The set GW is a first but its a great 50* GW and more forgiving than a Vokey with full swings IMO. Over the ball I cant tell the difference between my new 55* and 60* SM7 and the 9 year old Vokey's I am replacing, prices arent bad on the SM7 right now as well. Unless the swing weight of the Vokey's feel too heavy I would leave it in. The D5 swing weight is nice and keeps those touch shots under control. I cant imagine the SM8 is gonna be some miracle breakthrough wedge. Save the $$ and go for the SM7. I do match the grips. That blends the set better than matching the shafts for me.

I would personally get a flex down. Currently using DG S300 on my 4-PW and using wedge flex on 50/54/58 SM7. I would not wait for SM8. In fact you can get SM6s for dirt price right now and they perform fantastic!

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

I was always a 3 wedge Vokey player, now I use the 50 GW in the T100, what a great wedge that is & I like the fact it has the same shaft as my 5-PW (Nippon Modus 3 - 120 stiff). Always been happy in the standard S200 in my 54 & 58 Vokey. I am waiting for the SM8 to replace my 58, it is starting to wear out, plus I bought tour chrome, and next time I want a darker finish. Nothing wrong with my 54 and could easily keep it, apart from knowing it is nearly 2 years old, no seriously, would love a D grind in the 54 if they did it with the SM8.

Titleist TS3 Drv 10.5* (playing 45")
Titleist TS2 Fwy 16.5*
Titleist TS2 Hyb 21* (playing 20*)
Titleist U510 Uty 4 iron - 22*
Titleist T100 (5 - GW 50*)
Vokey SM7 54* (14*) F grind
Vokey SM7 58* D grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (2018)

In the past wedges almost always came with a “wedge shaft” and a heavy swing weight. Basically a dg s400 and a swing weight near d6.

Last few years I have been trying wedges that were closer to my irons in Shaft and weight. Has worked for me.

But really you should wait if your current wedges are playable. Since ping came out with the hydro pearl finish and the way they play when it’s damp everyone else is playing catch up. I bet they will. Wait for that or get some of the glide 3 wedges. I have a eye 2 60° in my future, again.

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

• 2 months later...

The sm7's are on sale right now. So you can save some money by going with the sm7's. I love the sm7. Looks great and performs great. I saw the new sm8's and I think it is an ugly wedge. I was at the store the other day and got 3 new sm7's (50, 54, 58) in slate blue on sale for 40% off. I had to swoop them up because that slate blue color on a wedge was so cool. These wedges will round out my new set of Mizuno irons. I'm ready for winter be over to start making money in my men's league. You know you'll have an awesome wedge with a vokey wedge, regardless of your decision.

Great prices on SM7’s right now. You could save $150-$200 on a three wedge set.

As for gapping, I am not a fan of 58 degree; prefer 60 degree. And for flexibility, I have 48-52-54-56-60’s in my preferred grinds (F grind in 48 & 52, S grind in 54, 56, and 60). This allows me to play a four wedge set up (48-52-56-60) or a three wedge set up (48-54-60) with appropriate gaps.

Im also a traditionalist and just go with the straight chrome look, although the best Vokey’s I ever played were SM4 oil can finish that I stripped down to raw.

Don’t think you can go wrong with the SM7’s.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

Yes, wait for SM8 to come out then SM7 price will drop further... Then get SM7s :) Or even SM6s...

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

Just watched a video on YouTube from Mr Short Game and he speaks very highly on the SM8’s goes as far as saying they could be game changers with regard wedges.

obviously he couldn’t say too much yet

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

I prefer the more boxy look of the SM6 vs the slightly higher toe, tear drop shape of the SM7. Zero difference in performance for me. Purely a cosmetic choice. I haven't seen the SM8 shape, as of yet.

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

I ordered another identical set of SM7's when they went on sale. I practice quite a bit, so my current set is getting pretty worn out. I liked the 7's so much I didn't want to wait or take a chance on the 8's. I'm sure they will be good wedges, but I am way too comfortable with the 7's to change yet.

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist