2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Ever rush to finish a round? And why?

lanzador49

Weather/Family Emergency would be about the only reasons to rush/quit. Everything else is determined by my current score. If I'm +15 through 10 and my wife gets in a fender bender, I'll be right there. If I'm even through 15 and my wife gets in a fender bender, the cops can handle it.

Hammer 6.5*
GX7 12*
Warrior Golf 3-PW
Squarestrike UW
Alien 56*
Double Duty Putter

> @Zantor said:

> Never in a hurry. I like to play golf slowly. This is a hobby and relaxation.

That's a kind of risky thing to say. Its one thing to avoid hurrying. Its a different thing to intentionally play slowly. But as long as you don't hold up other players, go as slow as you like.

Started snowing hard on the 12th hole and by the 17th it had completely lost its charm.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

> @golfandfishing said:

> What in the living fudge is a soundbath? Californians will buy anything I guess......

EXACTLY. It's not snow; it's not thunderstorm; it's not hurricane; it's not darkness; it's not illness; it's not an emergency; it's not life or death; it's not beer; it's not a cigar; it's not the weather....it's friggin' YOGA.

Don't normally rush to finish if it's weather or darkness as I normally just walk off if that's the case, but I did recently rush to finish a round due to me playing like absolute crap, and the scores counted so I had to finish the round. Played a lot of golf the two days previously and pretty well, and thought that since we have a friendly 6 round competition among mates, thought that while I'm on form I can get a good score in. First 7 holes went well, and then my game just collapsed - duffs, shanks, toppings, 3 putts. Tried as best as I could, but by the 14th hole was desperately trying anything to recover the swing and hoping for the end...basically put me out of my misery :D :D .

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver/3 Wood Kai'li Blue/White S

Cobra Aerojet 5W at 19.5 deg - Kai'li Blue S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide/Cleveland Frontline 8

I played a round in Cozumel a few years ago as an excursion while on a cruise. Turns out there were only four of us from the ship golfing, and we pretty much had the course to ourselves, so we took our time, took in the sights, got some lunch at the turn, and then on the back nine we realized we were running short of time. Had to hurry to finish, and then our shuttle wasn't there. We ended up being 'that guy' that gets razzed by the people on the ship for showing up at the last minute.

Like most, I've rushed due to weather. I've also rushed if we had something planned in the afternoon and the round was taking forever. There's also been a time I was confident I could finish a round before my parents arrived to visit with my infant son. Unfortunately, I didn't finish in time and my wife and them hung out without me. Kind of disappointing :neutral:.

> @lanzador49 said:

> Out golfing on an absolutely glorious day at a club in Palos Verdes to celebrate buddy’s b-day yesterday when all of a sudden one in the group who was playing, how you say...”deliberately” (ok, slow as molasses...) suddenly has an urgency to get home. So we rush to finish, and even skip a hole to save time, and without hanging out to have a beverage after the round to bask in the magnificent setting of Palos Verdes, rushed him home to learn that the reason we did that, and even skipped a hole was....now get this....

>

> So he wouldn’t be late for a soundbath yoga session with his wife. Seriously?

>

> Yoga is fantastic...no doubt...and I admire one’s devotion to their spouse and what’s important to them...and of course the pressures of living in Southern California might dictate that residents take advantage of moments like a soundbath. HOWEVER...I don’t know about anybody else, but there’s not much that would cause me to rush to finish a round of golf, and even skip a hole...and a soundbath is and never will be one of them...

>

> Darkness? Weather? Health? Birth of child? What else?

>

> Along those lines...the situation evoked the old story where a group is playing golf and one of the guys is about to hit an important putt when on the adjacent road a funeral procession and hearse pass by. As it does, they guy stops mid-stroke, pauses, removes his hat, and bows his head. His playing partners remark about how touching it was for him to pay such honor to a deceased like that, and he responds, “well...that’s the least I could do after 37 years of being married to that wonderful woman...”

My reply : " You go on ahead. See ya next time..."

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I've had buddies rush off the course to get home to waiting wives more than once. I've never understood it, if she's going to be that mad if you're late, why did you even play? Then again my first wife left me, so what do I know ?

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

> @Gautama said:

> I've had buddies rush off the course to get home to waiting wives more than once. I've never understood it, if she's going to be that mad if you're late, why did you even play? Then again my first wife left me, so what do I know ?

As long as your second and third wives didn't....!

Played several years ago in South Africa. We had just teed off on 18 when the lightning siren went off. We literally sprinted and hit, sprinted and hit, etc all the way into the clubhouse. For the record, this was just three hours south of where Retief Goosen was struck by lightning some years earlier.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

> @mukster said:

> Played several years ago in South Africa. We had just teed off on 18 when the lightning siren went off. We literally sprinted and hit, sprinted and hit, etc all the way into the clubhouse. For the record, this was just three hours south of where Retief Goosen was struck by lightning some years earlier.

Darwinism at work.

I was playing a course at the beach once in January. Not a time of year you'd expect thunderstorms, especially given that we were playing fog that made it impossible to see more about 75-100 yards. We heard a couple rumbles and were speculating as to what might make that noise.

Then a bolt of lightning hit nearby which made being in that fog like being on the inside of a flash bulb. No idea the direction, just a blinding flash from *everywhere*.

I had just hit a chip from off the green at the instant before the lightning. I think I might have been back at the clubhouse before that chip shot stopped rolling. About as fast as I've ever moved with a bag of clubs on my back!

> @davep043 said:

> > @mukster said:

> > Played several years ago in South Africa. We had just teed off on 18 when the lightning siren went off. We literally sprinted and hit, sprinted and hit, etc all the way into the clubhouse. For the record, this was just three hours south of where Retief Goosen was struck by lightning some years earlier.

>

> Darwinism at work.

Obviously not :wink:

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

I dont try to rush a round as much as I can avoid it. I try to schedule my rounds when I know I can relax and enjoy it without feeling rushed. HOWEVER. Life happens. Work happens. Family happens. Sometimes I have to try to rush for something unexpected. Once or twice I've had to leave early because of unforeseen circumstances. Not a big deal. It's a hobby and there are other life priorities that make me fortunate enough to regularly play this game. When those come up, they usually take precedence since I know I'll be back on the course soon enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Only time this year we truly rushed was due to Mosquitoes. We had an extremely wet year compared to normal so they were absolutely terrible. The day we had to rush it, everything was going great until the wind completely stopped for the last 4 holes. You could hear the buzzing before you could see them and I didn't have my usual can of spray in the bag.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Only one reason why I finish in a hurry, #2.

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

1. I dont play if I know I wont have ample time to finish and do whatever I need to before my next 'obligation'. I def wouldnt make other people rush with me.

2. Only time I've ever rushed to finish was playing with my father in law and his 'old' group in Michigan this summer. They play like 3x a week and they get 'unlimited' golf at their club so they dont care if they only get 2 holes in and have to go home. I however have a job so I dont play 3x a week, I was up in Michigan visiting wifes family so technically on 'vacation' and wouldve played 100 holes.

Anyways, we are on the 11th tee i think. One of the guys looks at radar and says rain might be arriving in an hour. Well you would have thought he said the Wizard of Oz tornado is 20 feet from the course and we are all gonna die. We had already teed off on a Par 3. The one guy immediately goes 'lets skip this hole, skip past the group in front of us and play 14-18. We didn't even finish the par 3 we were on (mind you i hit the damn green) and then played speed golf for the last 4 holes and I played like garbage.

For as much heckling as these old guys gave me for using a yellow ball and having a 'brighter' colored shirt on vs their "old man solid gray polos' they sure were terrified of a little impending drizzle.

I've hurried along due to darkness... but it's never anything that really matters. If I'm on the 18th tee and I'm able to see the outline of the fairway... I'll finish it. Otherwise... no big deal.

The only time I've ever really rushed was the day of my high school graduation. My buddy and I decided to go play 18 holes at one of our local courses that morning. I told my parents I'd be back with time to spare. Well... we hit a slow group in front of us that had a slow group in front of them and so on. That meant we finished later than we'd originally planned. I pulled in the driveway... sprinted past my mom who was giving me crap about being late... jumped in the shower... got ready and was back out the door on my way to the graduation ceremony about 20 minutes later.

That was 22 years ago and my parents still bring it up.

My wife knew the story before we got married. She's fully on board with me having golf as a distraction and I'm fully on board with knowing my commitments prior to setting up a tee time. If I can't comfortably play and still make whatever it is that I've got planned... I just play another day.

> @Warrior42111 said:

> Turn dog was not the answer, and the back 9 outhouse was closed. Really helped keep my core engaged in my swing though

I was playing at the Wente course and got hooked up with a 3-some from silicon valley. They were all tech savvy and all of a sudden on the 2nd fairway, a phone rings. One of the guys takes off his shoe and had a Maxwell Smart Agent 86 shoe phone! Amazing.

Then on 8, a phone rings and the next guy shakes his hand where electrodes were planted and was able to take a call through his own hands! Amazing.

Then on 12, the 3rd guy hits a ball into the trees, we hear a phone ring, we're waiting and waiting...go try to help the guy, and he's sitting there with his pants around his ankles taking a dump! His buddies tell him how disgusting it is, how there's a bathroom by the next tee box, etc. And the guy says, "just hang on - I'm already getting the third page of this fax."