2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Newer technology irons and so called "wedge gapping"...

Ripken08

I read this over and over on the forums. I am speaking of sets with new technology like cup faces with a PW of 45 degrees. People saying so many gaps with their wedges etc etc. Some of you crazies carry 4 or 5 wedges! Why? Because you want a 125, 115, 105, 95 yd club?

I have 4 now counting my PW, but could easily replace my 54/58 with a 56.

Here is my take. Those who claim to have gaps or carry a bazillion wedges...it comes down to two things:

1) course management - put your shot at a comfortable distance if you need a full swing

2) learn to hit varieties of shots with partial swings with a few wedges and become a better golfer

Rant over...:)

The only club I hit partial shots with is my 60 wedge. Everything else is a full swing unless a pin is in a weird distance between irons AND where I cant club up or down using a full swing due to a bunker impeding roll or an obstacle - which is very rare.

With that said, the new trend of loft jacking basically leaves you down 1 club. My set PW is 45-46 right now, so my wedges are 52/56/60 which gives me full swing distances of 120/110/100 depending on my ball striking (+-5yds). Anything under 100 is a partial swing with the 60.

The 52 is basically the AW and 56 the SW which some sets have, so it all depends on your set of irons tbh.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> The only club I hit partial shots with is my 60 wedge. Everything else is a full swing unless a pin is in a weird distance between irons AND where I cant club up or down using a full swing due to a bunker impeding roll or an obstacle - which is very rare.

>

> With that said, the new trend of loft jacking basically leaves you down 1 club. My set PW is 45-46 right now, so my wedges are 52/56/60 which gives me full swing distances of 120/110/100 depending on my ball striking (+-5yds). Anything under 100 is a partial swing with the 60.

>

> The 52 is basically the AW and 56 the SW which some sets have, so it all depends on your set of irons tbh.

>

>

Actually I believe you and everyone else hit partial shots with all of their irons. Ever in between clubs on distance? Ever hit a knockdown into the wind? Sure you do. So why are wedges any different?

I don't get it, you are carrying 4 wedges too. Is anyone carrying more than 4? Never seen that myself. Of course we could get on with less, but why would we when we have 14 spots in the bag... if your game needs more long clubs then space your wedges and add another long iron\hybrid\5 wood, if your good up top carry 4 wedges and have the versatility of short game shots (scoring shots)

I like having the options of wedges based on the situation, obstacles to carry, amount of green to work with, receptiveness of green, sometimes ya bump and run with your gap or pw, sometimes ya throw it high with a sw or lw. Greenside bunker I'm hitting my 60, longer bunker shot I'm taking my 54. In my case at least its more about shot options than full swing gapping distances. Its likely a 54 or 56 can be played for any of these shots by manipulating the face and swing, but why not have all the tools for the specific jobs, you could build anything with an adjustable wrench, but why would ya?

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

So I'm one of those people who carry 4.

The huge point you're missing regarding no# of wedges is not gaps but bounce/grind. I have PW/GW (mostly because I often use the yardage of a GW and 3/4 GW). Then SW with a high bounce for bad lies (rarely full shots with that club), and a LW with low bounce for everything else.

As to your two points:

1. This argument is invalid for me as I consdense full shot selection into 2 shots (2 clubs) 99% of the time. Never run into an issue of awkward distances

2. I can play most shots with lots of different wedges - it would just be silly to play shots with wedges, that I can otherwise play, with clubs that aren't going to be good for that shot: for example, high bounce off tight lie or low bounce of fluffy or wet lie.

> @rt_charger said:

> So I'm one of those people who carry 4.

> The huge point you're missing regarding no# of wedges is not gaps but bounce/grind. I have PW/GW (mostly because I often use the yardage of a GW and 3/4 GW). Then SW with a high bounce for bad lies (rarely full shots with that club), and a LW with low bounce for everything else.

>

> As to your two points:

> 1. This argument is invalid for me as I consdense full shot selection into 2 shots (2 clubs) 99% of the time. Never run into an issue of awkward distances

> 2. I can play most shots with lots of different wedges - it would just be silly to play shots with wedges, that I can otherwise play, with clubs that aren't going to be good for that shot: for example, high bounce off tight lie or low bounce of fluffy or wet lie.

I agree with some of your points, but I am truly talking about gapping based on other post I've read. All about distances between clubs and not so much on variation in conditions/lies.

> @Ripken08 said:

> > @rt_charger said:

> > So I'm one of those people who carry 4.

> > The huge point you're missing regarding no# of wedges is not gaps but bounce/grind. I have PW/GW (mostly because I often use the yardage of a GW and 3/4 GW). Then SW with a high bounce for bad lies (rarely full shots with that club), and a LW with low bounce for everything else.

> >

> > As to your two points:

> > 1. This argument is invalid for me as I consdense full shot selection into 2 shots (2 clubs) 99% of the time. Never run into an issue of awkward distances

> > 2. I can play most shots with lots of different wedges - it would just be silly to play shots with wedges, that I can otherwise play, with clubs that aren't going to be good for that shot: for example, high bounce off tight lie or low bounce of fluffy or wet lie.

>

> I agree with some of your points, but I am truly talking about gapping based on other post I've read. All about distances between clubs and not so much on variation in conditions/lies.

I agree, that is far too one dimensional having wedge set section based off how far each one goes.

I actually don't do much partial shot or knockdown type stuff with my irons. If I'm between clubs I might choke down a couple inches which tends to take 4-5 yards off the distance. But that's about it.

But I don't buy into any of the "jacked loft" obsession people around here have. In the late 90's I was playing a set of clubs with the following lofts (from memory, might be off by a degree somewhere):

10.5d 16w 19w 22i 25i 28i 32i 36i 40i 44.5i 49i 55w 60w

Fast forward 20 years and my current set has these lofts:

11.5d 19h 22h 24i 27i 30i 34i 38i 42i 46w 50w 54w 60w

Either way, its 13 clubs covering the range from 10.5/11.5 up to 60 degrees. Other than the gap right below the driver, the biggest gap was six degrees back then and is 5 degrees right now. Hard to see how much has changed gap-wise.

> @Ripken08 said:

> > @third-times-a-charm said:

> > The only club I hit partial shots with is my 60 wedge. Everything else is a full swing unless a pin is in a weird distance between irons AND where I cant club up or down using a full swing due to a bunker impeding roll or an obstacle - which is very rare.

> >

> > With that said, the new trend of loft jacking basically leaves you down 1 club. My set PW is 45-46 right now, so my wedges are 52/56/60 which gives me full swing distances of 120/110/100 depending on my ball striking (+-5yds). Anything under 100 is a partial swing with the 60.

> >

> > The 52 is basically the AW and 56 the SW which some sets have, so it all depends on your set of irons tbh.

> >

> >

>

> Actually I believe you and everyone else hit partial shots with all of their irons. Ever in between clubs on distance? Ever hit a knockdown into the wind? Sure you do. So why are wedges any different?

I dont hit partial shots with anything other than my 60 - except for when I need to punch out low I will hit a 7i back in my stance - but thats it. I literally do not hit anything else partially.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal but the reality is that by gaining all this extra distance on my irons... it's likely costing me scores in the long run because I'll need to essentially avoid having a ball land a certain distance away from the pin. Example would be your hot PW is 44-45* and goes 145-150 yards but your normal gap wedge goes 115 or maybe max 120. Imagine how hard it would be for your typical 15HC to have to either nuke their GW 130 yards, or learn to take 15 or 20 yards off their PW when the pin is sitting in the upper 120's/low 130 yard range.

It's not that difficult to hit your 120 yard club or 60 or 70 yards in the air (half swing feel basically) but ask that same guy to hit his 120 yard club 110-112 yards with any kind of high repeatability.... much harder to do if you ask me. That's the same thing as having to now hit your hot faced strong lofted PW that goes 145 down to 128-130 yards. Maybe high skilled low index players have no issue but reality is, that is like <5% of all players.

Essentially, the player with in this situation has to avoid having to carry his ball probably all the way from 135 down to 125 yards, which is prime scoring territory. If he had normal lofted/non hot face clubs, that's just a regular PW. Instead now he has to feather a delicate little 85% PW in there that's likely to roll long or be inaccurate. Maybe it's a back pin so he can go the "nuke the GW" method but that's likely to spin back, possibly roll off the front, etc.

^ and all of this so the player can feel good hitting a 185-190 yard 7i. Not to mention he may also end up with weird gaps between his longest iron and start of his fairway woods/hybrids. Unless you really have the speed and dynamic impact conditions to play the strong lofted hot iron heads, I just don't see the real world benefit of how it will lower scores.

> @Ripken08 said:

> I read this over and over on the forums. I am speaking of sets with new technology like cup faces with a PW of 45 degrees. People saying so many gaps with their wedges etc etc. Some of you crazies carry 4 or 5 wedges! Why? Because you want a 125, 115, 105, 95 yd club?

> I have 4 now counting my PW, but could easily replace my 54/58 with a 56.

> Here is my take. Those who claim to have gaps or carry a bazillion wedges...it comes down to two things:

> 1) course management - put your shot at a comfortable distance if you need a full swing

> 2) learn to hit varieties of shots with partial swings with a few wedges and become a better golfer

>

> Rant over...:)

This is a great "art vs science" kind of thread......if I'm reading between the lines correctly, you might argue that golfers have lost some of the "art" of shotmaking because they've become more reliant on the "science" approach with exact gapping between short clubs.

• Like 1

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> I dont hit partial shots with anything other than my 60 - except for when I need to punch out low I will hit a 7i back in my stance - but thats it. I literally do not hit anything else partially.

What do you do if you are between yardages? Just accept that you are going to hit it 5 yards long or short?

I have 5 wedges in the bag. The gap and pitching are used for full shots the same as the 9 iron. The 52, 56, and 60 are used for partial 25%, 50%, 75% ,and full swings. Max yardage for all wedges are 125, 115, 100, 86, and 66. The three higher lofted wedges all have different sole grinds. I find it easier to score better with game improvement clubs and lots of wedges.

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red Velocore 6S
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Motocaddy M1

Pick wedges for your short game first. That's job #1. Then if you end up with a big gap for full swing purposes add a "gap wedge" whatever loft that is, that fills that gap.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @Ripken08 said:

> I read this over and over on the forums. I am speaking of sets with new technology like cup faces with a PW of 45 degrees. People saying so many gaps with their wedges etc etc. Some of you crazies carry 4 or 5 wedges! Why? Because you want a 125, 115, 105, 95 yd club?

> Here is my take. Those who claim to have gaps or carry a bazillion wedges...it comes down to two things:

> 1) course management - put your shot at a comfortable distance if you need a full swing

> 2) learn to hit varieties of shots with partial swings with a few wedges and become a better golfer

>

I have a very solid wedge game and rarely ever take "full" shots with them. I'm very decent at hitting numbers. The issue I have with jacked lofts is that I hit the irons too far - PW included. If my PW goes 150 I'm having trouble getting my full gap wedge to actually do its job - GAP - properly. Then I'm forged into the AW in the set and have a scoring club that is hotter than I want without a specialized grind. The whole thing doesn't matter if you're lacking distance which is who these clubs are aimed at. I will NEVER play a PW stronger than 46/47 degrees for that reason and I still often think of going specialized 48 with everything bent weak.

Never understood the "strong lofts create wedge gap issues". If you have to add a wedge or 2 to fill out your bag with higher lofted wedges, so what? You have room in the bag for that because you have strong lofted irons that cover the lower lofts in your bag.

Egos and semantics are the issue, and, as well known, the solution would be to stamp lofts, not numbers, on the sole.

• Like 1

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Sometimes I go play w/ just one wedge (besides PW)

sometimes it's my 52, other times my 60. Fewer options A. makes you more decisive and B. teaches you that you can hit a whole host of shots w/ one wedge.

Paralysis by Analysis is a real thing. having to choose between a 46, 50, 54, or 58 for a 30 yard pitch is a mess..

• Like 1

> @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> > @Ripken08 said:

> > I read this over and over on the forums. I am speaking of sets with new technology like cup faces with a PW of 45 degrees. People saying so many gaps with their wedges etc etc. Some of you crazies carry 4 or 5 wedges! Why? Because you want a 125, 115, 105, 95 yd club?

> > I have 4 now counting my PW, but could easily replace my 54/58 with a 56.

> > Here is my take. Those who claim to have gaps or carry a bazillion wedges...it comes down to two things:

> > 1) course management - put your shot at a comfortable distance if you need a full swing

> > 2) learn to hit varieties of shots with partial swings with a few wedges and become a better golfer

> >

> > Rant over...:)

>

> This is a great "art vs science" kind of thread......if I'm reading between the lines correctly, you might argue that golfers have lost some of the "art" of shotmaking because they've become more reliant on the "science" approach with exact gapping between short clubs.

Couldn't have said it better!

> @Bomber_11 said:

> Sometimes I go play w/ just one wedge (besides PW)

>

> sometimes it's my 52, other times my 60. Fewer options A. makes you more decisive and B. teaches you that you can hit a whole host of shots w/ one wedge.

>

> Paralysis by Analysis is a real thing. having to choose between a 46, 50, 54, or 58 for a 30 yard pitch is a mess..

Nonsense. You just grab your favorite wedge and hit the shot. No paralysis required.

How about you "shotmaking" guys. It sounds like a real shotmaker's got, what, maybe 5 or 10 different shots he might choose to play on a stock 150-yard approach from the fairway? Of course not, he might be able to play a bunch of shots but most times he just grabs the obvious club and hits the obvious shot.

For me it's simple. I carry 4 wedges (47, 52, 56, 60) because that mix offers me the _most options_ for that part of the game that most often demands options: the short game.

Distance is just one dimension among several that affect my wedge choice. Bounce, spin, trajectory and turf/sand condition are often more important than simply distance because a 60 yard shot (or any distance below that) can be done with every one of my wedges (or a couple of numbered, irons, if needed.)

I've also never bought into "just lay it up to your most comfortable full swing distance". Virtually anybody who's played golf for any decent amount of time is better from shorter range than longer range, even if the shorter range shot is a partial "feel" swing. The truth is, a mediocre 50yd shot typically ends up closer to the pin than a somewhat better than average 100yd shot.

> @dubbelbogey said:

> For me it's simple. I carry 4 wedges (47, 52, 56, 60) because that mix offers me the _most options_ for that part of the game that most often demands options: the short game.

>

> Distance is just one dimension among several that affect my wedge choice. Bounce, spin, trajectory and turf/sand condition are often more important than simply distance because a 60 yard shot (or any distance below that) can be done with every one of my wedges (or a couple of numbered, irons, if needed.)

>

> I've also never bought into "just lay it up to your most comfortable full swing distance". Virtually anybody who's played golf for any decent amount of time is better from shorter range than longer range, even if the shorter range shot is a partial "feel" swing. The truth is, a mediocre 50yd shot typically ends up closer to the pin than a somewhat better than average 100yd shot.

That "full swing layup" is a self-fulfilling habit. The only reason to be better from, say, 90 yards with a full swing than from 30, 40 or 50 yards is because you need to work on your 30, 40, 50 yard game.

> @Ripken08 said:

> Some of you **crazies carry 4 or 5** wedges! Why? Because you want a 125, 115, 105, 95 yd club?

>** I have 4 now** counting my PW, but could easily replace my 54/58 with a 56.

A starter item... when you carry 4 wedges, are you also a _crazy_? :o

Now, the main discussion:

Some people who carry 4 (or 5) wedges use some sort of Pelz-style wedge matrix.

fmlvzg6ovelk.png

Some people include a Quarter swing line, while other players consider anything inside 20 yards a feel shot that doesn't really fit in a matrix. One local pro who has a marvelous short game considers anything **inside 50 yards** as a feel shot.

> Because you want a 125, 115, 105, 95 yd club?

> 2) learn to hit varieties of shots with partial swings with a few wedges and become a better golfer.

The two above lines seem to conflict with each other. The idea of a wedge matrix is to develop a system for plotting distance on partial and finesse wedge shots. Many people find a multi-wedge + matrix approach on partial swings the best way to become a **better golfer.**

Some people play tend toward **mechanics golf** - use the matrix and your full-shot yardstick to plan shots and select clubs. Others tend toward **feel golf** - be able to sense what type of shot to use. It's a matter of individual differences in learning and in information processing.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @ChipNRun said:

> > @Ripken08 said:

> > Some of you **crazies carry 4 or 5** wedges! Why? Because you want a 125, 115, 105, 95 yd club?

> >** I have 4 now** counting my PW, but could easily replace my 54/58 with a 56.

> > Here is my take. Those who claim to have gaps or carry a bazillion wedges...it comes down to two things:

> > 1) course management - put your shot at a comfortable distance if you need a full swing

> > 2) learn to hit varieties of shots with partial swings with a few wedges and become a better golfer

>

> A starter item... when you carry 4 wedges, are you also a _crazy_? :o

> Now, the main discussion:

> Some people who carry 4 (or 5) wedges use some sort of Pelz-style wedge matrix.

> fmlvzg6ovelk.png

> Some people include a Quarter swing line, while other players consider anything inside 20 yards a feel shot that doesn't really fit in a matrix. One local pro who has a marvelous short game considers anything **inside 50 yards** as a feel shot.

>

> > Because you want a 125, 115, 105, 95 yd club?

> > 2) learn to hit varieties of shots with partial swings with a few wedges and become a better golfer.

> The two above lines seem to conflict with each other. The idea of a wedge matrix is to develop a system for plotting distance on partial and finesse wedge shots. Many people find a multi-wedge + matrix approach on partial swings the best way to become a **better golfer.**

>

> Some people play tend toward **mechanics golf** - use the matrix and your full-shot yardstick to plan shots and select clubs. Others tend toward **feel golf** - be able to sense what type of shot to use. It's a matter of individual differences in learning and in information processing.

Different things work for different people, for sure. But speaking only for myself if I tried something like the Pelz "matrix" thing, it would drive me *crazy*.

My pitching wedge and gap wedge are from my set and match the rest of my irons. They should be numbered 10 iron and 11 iron as play them like the rest of my irons. My 52 and 56 degree wedges are my "real" wedges.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

The problem described here seems to be someone with like a G700 PW (44) and then a 52-56-60 Vokey combo. Obviously, there will be a huge gap and better players would probably never load up their bag with something like this.

I think the person playing the G700s should probably just play them through the GW (49). Then they should be able to get by with two "wedges." 56-60 may be too big of a gap but 52-58 or 54-60 should work fine. Just treat the GW as an old PW, and everything is OK.

• Like 1

My t200 have 43 degree pw. I bought the 48 gap, 52 and 58 Vokey. Gapping works out great. Personally, I don’t care what is written on the bottom of the club. I still carry the same number of clubs so who cares.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

At 45 degree pw, i dont think its much of an issue, carry 2-3 extra wedges depending on preference. However the trend of 41/42 deg pw now requires an extra wedge for gapping full shots. If you hit your pw 150 and your shortest wedge 90, at 10-12 yard gaps thats at least 3 wedges to fill between. Yea you could hit partials, but thats silly for anything other than your shortest club. Maximum spin and stopping power on full shots for one reason.

Is it really an extra wedge? I mean, it’s really a traditional pitching wedge with a different name on it.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

> @Ripken08 said:

>

Pointless rant from someone with 4 wedges who hasn't replaced his 54/58 (but could easily do so, lol). Maybe get rid of your 5-7-9 irons, also.

Some of us have become better golfers understanding the value of different wedges with different bounce angles, as one example. Using different lofts and different shots with those clubs for certain situations around the greens, another example. My 52 degree is pretty much my 100 yard club. My 54 and 58 have specific uses and used for different kinds of shotmaking. Hardly a "science" vs. "art" debate, and hardly mutually exclusive.

The fact you think people are gapping their wedges based on full swing distances suggests you may benefit from a little more thought and study.

Use as many or as few wedges as you like, whatever works, but the thread starter here is pretty weak.

• Like 1