Talk to me -- Bullseye, 8802, other classics

tgoodspe1991

I really want to try and game an old-school, classic style putter. I've got my eye right now on a Bettinardi BB2 or FCB, but have an itch to maybe try a Bullseye as well.

Would love to hear y'alls thoughts on various classic shapes (even ones I didn't mention), how they play, what type of stroke/eye dominance/setup they're good for, and anything else you'd like to share.

Help convince me to pull the trigger on a classic!!

Classic putters, even the earlier Ping models are typically smaller and lighter. The modern putter are heavier and even the remake of the classic putter are larger in size.

This is to accommodate the change in the putting surface from the slower greens 50-60 years ago to today's faster green speed. Also the classic putters are 35"-36", modern putters have more choices on the length.

Yes, it's easy to cut down or to extend the putter length, but in doing so, it may change the feel of a putter.

The Bettinardi and Scotty Cameron are considered as remake of the classic putters.

If you want to game a classic putter, search for putters from 40+ years ago. One give away is the round cylindrical shaped leather grip, Non of those have a flat front surfaced grip and definitely no over sized grips in the classic putters.

I love the Bullseye design, very simple and effective. I do have a SC in CS with Pro Platinum finish which I only roll on the carpet from time to time.

qody1jpi1t36.jpg

My gamer is a Lajosi L-Blade Flange, it's heavier but also in CS with gunmetal finish and deep milling. Soft and forgiving, I found it so great that I have another on order.

brxnx5l8bbf6.jpg

Kari has both versions, the classic blade and the flange and also the LP808 & LP809 that would be like a 8802.

I have gamed a number of vintage styles before settling on my current gamer 3 years running, in the form of a MacGregor Autograph 651 Jackie Pung.

nqksy1j5yph9.jpeg

This is a gooseneck style or some call it a calamity jane style. A true blade and suitable for the player with the swinging gate stroke. My model has decent offset as well, which for me promotes some forward press. Not the most forgiving thing in the world, but amazing feel. Also good if you like to get your eyes over the ball. I'm left-eyed and love the setup look.

The bullseye is another, simple blade type, but with a centered shaft. There is zero offset and you cannot have your hands in front of the ball or else you are popping it into the ground. Couldn't make the adjustment, but it's a sweet look.

In the same catagory is this putter that Hogan used, I don't know the style name. 42azayw1wbu7.jpg

Basically a squarer, heftier bullseye, with less sole radius. I find these more playable but still not in the bag.

One thing that has kept me away from the 8802, though I enjoy the heel shaft, is the depth of the face. I personally worry I'm going to miss-hit the ball high or low. The one little mind thing that ruins me. Also, coming from the other blades, this thing almost feels like a mallet... requiring a bit more straight back and through than I like.

> @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> I have gamed a number of vintage styles before settling on my current gamer 3 years running, in the form of a MacGregor Autograph 651 Jackie Pung.

> nqksy1j5yph9.jpeg

> This is a gooseneck style or some call it a calamity jane style. A true blade and suitable for the player with the swinging gate stroke. My model has decent offset as well, which for me promotes some forward press. Not the most forgiving thing in the world, but amazing feel. Also good if you like to get your eyes over the ball. I'm left-eyed and love the setup look.

>

> The bullseye is another, simple blade type, but with a centered shaft. There is zero offset and you cannot have your hands in front of the ball or else you are popping it into the ground. Couldn't make the adjustment, but it's a sweet look.

>

> In the same catagory is this putter that Hogan used, I don't know the style name. 42azayw1wbu7.jpg

> Basically a squarer, heftier bullseye, with less sole radius. I find these more playable but still not in the bag.

>

> One thing that has kept me away from the 8802, though I enjoy the heel shaft, is the depth of the face. I personally worry I'm going to miss-hit the ball high or low. The one little mind thing that ruins me. Also, coming from the other blades, this thing almost feels like a mallet... requiring a bit more straight back and through than I like.

More than likely that is the Macgregor version of a Spalding Cash IN----- I can not think of the name of it to save my life right now

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> I really want to try and game an old-school, classic style putter. I've got my eye right now on a Bettinardi BB2 or FCB, but have an itch to maybe try a Bullseye as well.

>

> Would love to hear y'alls thoughts on various classic shapes (even ones I didn't mention), how they play, what type of stroke/eye dominance/setup they're good for, and anything else you'd like to share.

>

> Help convince me to pull the trigger on a classic!!

I mess with a lot of classic blade putters mostly Macgregor Ironmasters and Bulls Eyes--- I do not own a real Wilson 8802 but own a Cleveland Designed by and a Little David 8802. I can tell you several things from experience. Also those putters do not have any forgiveness period. Also if you are a feel player like I am the newer balls like a Pro V tend to hop off the face and feel harsh to me. Remember these classic putters were built and played in the softer balata days. They do fine for me with a softer ball like a Srixon Soft Feel. But if you are rolling it good you get instant feedback and great feel

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> > I have gamed a number of vintage styles before settling on my current gamer 3 years running, in the form of a MacGregor Autograph 651 Jackie Pung.

> > nqksy1j5yph9.jpeg

> > This is a gooseneck style or some call it a calamity jane style. A true blade and suitable for the player with the swinging gate stroke. My model has decent offset as well, which for me promotes some forward press. Not the most forgiving thing in the world, but amazing feel. Also good if you like to get your eyes over the ball. I'm left-eyed and love the setup look.

> >

> > The bullseye is another, simple blade type, but with a centered shaft. There is zero offset and you cannot have your hands in front of the ball or else you are popping it into the ground. Couldn't make the adjustment, but it's a sweet look.

> >

> > In the same catagory is this putter that Hogan used, I don't know the style name. 42azayw1wbu7.jpg

> > Basically a squarer, heftier bullseye, with less sole radius. I find these more playable but still not in the bag.

> >

> > One thing that has kept me away from the 8802, though I enjoy the heel shaft, is the depth of the face. I personally worry I'm going to miss-hit the ball high or low. The one little mind thing that ruins me. Also, coming from the other blades, this thing almost feels like a mallet... requiring a bit more straight back and through than I like.

>

> More than likely that is the Macgregor version of a Spalding Cash IN----- I can not think of the name of it to save my life right now

It's funny because I have a Spalding cash-in style , but it's not named that because it's the store-line club... back when the OEM's made knock-offs of themselves and sold them at Sears...

Ray Cook MS-1, Golfcraft El Rio Combo, Bullseye Heavy Blade, Ping A1, O or A Blade, Wilson Billy Casper Mallet.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

I have used an Arnold Pamer AP30R for over 20 years, and just recently switched to a TM Soto since moving to FL. I love the Palmer on bent or otherwise fast greens. The Soto has more speed off the face which has been helpful on grainier Bermuda.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

A good happy medium might be going with something like the Bettinardi ss6. It feels really good and has good weight to it as well. It's not technically a classic, but it's a modern version of one. Put a sight dot on it and it's money!

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Searching…

Searching…  

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

The old Spalding TP Mills are nice. Pavin was using a Bullseye in the Sr. Tour a week or two ago. I still have an OG Anser and 8802 "Original". They don't get out much. Only had the Bullseye for a week back in the early 80s. I hated it. The Zebra mallet was also popular back in the late 70s/early 80s. The putter pictured above that looks like a small 1 iron were on their way out by the mid 70s when I started to play golf.

I mostly use a bullseye center shafted wide flange i bought back in 197??? and love the look of that head. But I switch in a ping anser and a couple different TPM style once in a while for fun & something different to look at. I added some bottom weight tape to the bullseye and anser which helped my distance control on longer putts. A few years ago I swapped out the grip on the bullseye for a larger winn and that helped cure the occasional pulls on shorter putts.

> @dhen9 said:

> Go whole hog and find a green metallic painted shaft Tommy Armour MacGregor Ironmaster.

Those are hard to find one of the few Ironmasters I do not own. Anyone who is lucky enough to have one will not part from it. In classic circles it is called a green pyratone shaft. I have putted with a couple of them and they do have a unique feel for some reason I can not explain

> @LeoLeo99 said:

> The old Spalding TP Mills are nice. Pavin was using a Bullseye in the Sr. Tour a week or two ago. I still have an OG Anser and 8802 "Original". They don't get out much. Only had the Bullseye for a week back in the early 80s. I hated it. The Zebra mallet was also popular back in the late 70s/early 80s. The putter pictured above that looks like a small 1 iron were on their way out by the mid 70s when I started to play golf.

Corey Pavin has used that for years and still can putt lights out with it----- Another one that can putt lights out with one is a Canadian named Mark McNulty--- He played the regular tour some and the senior tour. His has been heated and bent has his name stamped in the back and is so beat up it looks like it has been used for a plow point----- but he could roll the rock with it. I think he has retired now from comp

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @dhen9 said:

> > Go whole hog and find a green metallic painted shaft Tommy Armour MacGregor Ironmaster.

>

> Those are hard to find one of the few Ironmasters I do not own. Anyone who is lucky enough to have one will not part from it. In classic circles it is called a green pyratone shaft. I have putted with a couple of them and they do have a unique feel for some reason I can not explain

The pro at a local executive course where I learned to play had one. It had a good amount of lead tape on the sweet spot. It had the coolest thing pistol wrap and a clevis pin for a counter balance it was literally the coolest putting device I'd ever used. I still look now and again on eBay but now I know why I can't find one.

If you really want to play a "classic" style putter, by all means do NOT go pay Bettinardi or Scotty Cameron three or four hundred bucks for a knockoff of the classic shapes, decorated with all sorts of Look At Me stampings and paint fill.

If you want to try a Bullseye, get the best condition bronze Bullseye you can find on eBay.

If you want an 8802 or other heel-shafted blade, there were about a million of them sold in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's. Find one that suits your eye and do it.

And the Ansers from the 70's with the sound slot, made of Manganese Bronze are as sweet-rolling as any German Stainless Steel poser stick that Cameron has ever made.

• Like 1

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> > I have gamed a number of vintage styles before settling on my current gamer 3 years running, in the form of a MacGregor Autograph 651 Jackie Pung.

> > nqksy1j5yph9.jpeg

> > This is a gooseneck style or some call it a calamity jane style. A true blade and suitable for the player with the swinging gate stroke. My model has decent offset as well, which for me promotes some forward press. Not the most forgiving thing in the world, but amazing feel. Also good if you like to get your eyes over the ball. I'm left-eyed and love the setup look.

> >

> > The bullseye is another, simple blade type, but with a centered shaft. There is zero offset and you cannot have your hands in front of the ball or else you are popping it into the ground. Couldn't make the adjustment, but it's a sweet look.

> >

> > In the same catagory is this putter that Hogan used, I don't know the style name. 42azayw1wbu7.jpg

> > Basically a squarer, heftier bullseye, with less sole radius. I find these more playable but still not in the bag.

> >

> > One thing that has kept me away from the 8802, though I enjoy the heel shaft, is the depth of the face. I personally worry I'm going to miss-hit the ball high or low. The one little mind thing that ruins me. Also, coming from the other blades, this thing almost feels like a mallet... requiring a bit more straight back and through than I like.

>

> More than likely that is the Macgregor version of a Spalding Cash IN----- I can not think of the name of it to save my life right now

In terms of matching that general shape/style....

A TP Mills, either Spalding, Mizuno TPM-1, or similar models, or Wilson 8820 might be a good analogue for the pic from James' post. I nearly bought an 8820 in the early 2000s, and have a TPM-3, both are lovely.

Then there are the Tad Moore models like the famous TM-2.

And so on

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors