Costco Putters are in... (MOD EDIT - NO CORONAVIRUS, POLITICS, BUY/SELL/TRADE POSTS)

Hack Daddy

> @wkuo3 said:

> > @caniac6 said:

> > > @wkuo3 said:

> > > > @padget said:

> > > > > @wkuo3 said:

> > > > > > @Llortamaisey said:

> > > > > > Can’t wait to pick up a fine milled Chinese Scotty Kirkland with my 10 lb bag of oranges and rotisserie chicken. It Costco really wanted to come up with a product that everyone would love, they come up with a gas station with no lines.

> > > > > We fill up the tank every time we stopped by the Costco, but we're told that the Costco Gasoline has one of the highest ethanol content there is, not very good for long term use and the high performance engine ( or the high mileage engines ).

> > > > > I wonder why Costco is fixated on getting into one of the toughest industry right now. Maybe they had some Corporate golfers or maybe they believe the best time to get into a brand new venture is when everyone is laying low . The Amazon "gorilla" battle tactic. The ability of able to take more beating than the competitors will eventually win the battle.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I doubt there is a K-sig putter unless they release a box set of clubs from their own line. Probably just a small batch of putters produced for pics with the golf balls and will end up in some of the corporate bros offices.

> > > >

> > >

> > > As the forging and CNC milling process is quite advanced in China these days.

> > > The putter in the picture could be a singular one ( sample ) provided from the prospective supplier/manufacturer as a sample; or a minimum batch ( 10-30) ordered from test run. I doubt there is room in the high end putter market and you could be correct on the possibility of a set of KS branded golf clubs is being considered.

> > > My guess is, there might be talks but in reality, profitability is the key of whether the putter or the golf equipment will be in the K.S. line up. From what I had seen, this might have been someone's pet project, far away from being realized. So, the putter could have been the only one as a sample submitted to the Cop. buyer. You're right, might just ended up in someone's office.

> >

> > Of course it could be, to steal from Ben Franklin, Proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.

>

> Proof ?

> If that will answer the question, which I doubt it.

> Either from the source which showed off the putter or from the source that made it. Your guess is as good as mine, which no one knows how this will turn out to be a reality or not.

> Unless the retail price point could stay below triple digit for a quality putter rival all others 3 times the price tag, not worth going after. Which is by all means possible judging from the profit margin the store had in the past. The huge purchasing power will be the positive elements, but the demanded return policy on the supplier will be the blocking stone on this putter.

> CAD and manufacturing technology are not an issue, all matters is whether the price point could make sense. There might be the same road block from all other high end putter makers attempting to stop this. Same issue with the first batch of the KSig 4 piece golf ball.

> Imagine getting a high quality putter for $89 ?

>

You can get a high quality putter for 89 today

> @capnstabn said:

> Costco going all in. I’m thinking they need to sponsor a frugal dad type on tour. Kuchar would be perfect. Gonna need to make the Kirkland putter an armlock.

Kuchar doesn't seem like the type of guy to splurge for a costco membership, seems more like a dollar store shopper to me.

I'd probably buy it just to give it a test.

• Like 2

> @caniac6 said:

> > @Llortamaisey said:

> > Can’t wait to pick up a fine milled Chinese Scotty Kirkland with my 10 lb bag of oranges and rotisserie chicken. It Costco really wanted to come up with a product that everyone would love, they come up with a gas station with no lines.

>

> If that putter is priced right, and similar quality of other Kirkland products, I'll stand in line to get one! On second thought, I might wait for the circle K with the limited release Headcover

Ha ha this is a gas station in Canada probably does exist some where

Didnt Tommy Armour win "Best Mallet" with an $89 model? Pretty sure Cleveland makes the HB and HB soft series that can be has very cheap. Not to mention component brands like maltby making premium quality, low cost sticks.

If anyone actually thinks their $400 NP2 performs better than a cleveland $100 HB1 they are lying to themselves.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

> @5hort5tuff said:

> Didnt Tommy Armour win "Best Mallet" with an $89 model? Pretty sure Cleveland makes the HB and HB soft series that can be has very cheap. Not to mention component brands like maltby making premium quality, low cost sticks.

>

> If anyone actually thinks their $400 NP2 performs better than a cleveland $100 HB1 they are lying to themselves.

The best putter or the quality putter is whatever works for the golfer. A $400 putter is probably over shadowing an eye exam and a putting lesson. Confidence from a pricey equipment will only last as long as the first putt. Same as a $50 dozen golf ball.

I don't understand this move towards expensive putters. Cleveland was really good with their Huntington Beach but now their new line is $200. But $149 seems high for a Kirkland branded putter.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

> @"K.ip" said:

> > @achappy said:

> > I don't understand this move towards expensive putters. Cleveland was really good with their Huntington Beach but now their new line is $200. But $149 seems high for a Kirkland branded putter.

>

> How do you know it’s priced at $149?

> I can’t find anything online

It's not confirmed but that's what is quoted from the article.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

Haven’t read the whole thread but in my opinion Costco specializes in throwaway goods and consumables. Their entire business is based off bulk purchases. This putter was probably just a one off made for photo shoot

That being said the way we forum users buy golf clubs it’s practically a consumable anyways

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

> @achappy said:

> > @"K.ip" said:

> > > @achappy said:

> > > I don't understand this move towards expensive putters. Cleveland was really good with their Huntington Beach but now their new line is $200. But $149 seems high for a Kirkland branded putter.

> >

> > How do you know it’s priced at $149?

> > I can’t find anything online

>

> It's not confirmed but that's what is quoted from the article.

>

I think it's more likely that Callaway created a house brand for them and will be sold as a box set with 13 other clubs.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

I'm going to disagree on that (specializing in consumables). I think they don't specialize - other than the promise that anything you buy under their name is better than (or as good as) the name brands. I would say if anything it's maybe 1/2 and 1/2 - tons of clothes, tons of holiday stuff, tons and tons of foodstuffs - from fresh to canned to frozen. Tons of electronics and tons of home stuff - sheets, towels, appliances, pots pans, plates, computer stuff - they are all over the map. Meds,, soap, shampoo, pet goods, pet food, car products, sporting goods, etc. etc.

In terms of the putter, why bother putting one in a photo at all - to me it reeks of 'stay tuned.' I'll be more surprised if they don't bring the putter to market now than if they do.

Someone had calculated a while back a custom milled putter cost about $50-$70 in labor and material to produce depending on the grade of steel used. That leaves plenty of profit margin for some one who can move large volumes to come in and carve out its market, and possibly taking some away from others ranging from Odyssey to what was suppose to be boutique brands such as Scotty.

Golfers, especially male golfers, are generally viewed as a more affluent group of consumers. That's why we have big money sponsors for PGA events, and everything golf related seem to cost more. it's the same reason Costco would want a bigger piece of that pie, after seeing everything else they sell that's golf related flying off shelves, balls\bags\clothes.

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

I would look for a driver and fairways sometime in the near future...you have companies in China making knock offs every day...also making clubs for Dick's (Tommy Armor) and Golf works and other component companies. Add to that the fact almost every major OEM is made in China the ability is there to produce a very good club for Costco.

The price point could put the game within reach for more people. If it gets more kids playing golf who otherwise could not afford it, it’s all good.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Balls, gloves, and now putter/wedges. Is this not just a big middle finger to Acushnet? After they reportedly sent the cease and desist letter to Costco over the golf balls.... seems like Costco recognized how well they can do if they're smart and doubled down their bet. I for one, would love to see them sponser a tour player, just to see how mad the big name manufacturers would get. Imagine if some tour player won and did an interview "I'm just glad I had my trusted Kirkland Signatures in my bag".

> @dmeeksDC said:

> The price point could put the game within reach for more people. If it gets more kids playing golf who otherwise could not afford it, it’s all good.

There's some really cheap clubs and balls at Dick's Sporting Goods.

And our local Dick's has a Play-It-Again Sports literally across the street, for truly remarkably cheap golf equipment. The cost of acquiring clubs and balls is only an impediment for those with nearly no disposable incomes (of which unfortunately, there are many).

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @dmeeksDC said:

> > The price point could put the game within reach for more people. If it gets more kids playing golf who otherwise could not afford it, it’s all good.

>

> There's some really cheap clubs and balls at Dick's Sporting Goods.

>

> And our local Dick's has a Play-It-Again Sports literally across the street, for truly remarkably cheap golf equipment. The cost of acquiring clubs and balls is only an impediment for those with nearly no disposable incomes (of which unfortunately, there are many).

I agree. You don't need a brand new Scotty and whatever the hottest driver is out there to take up the game. I grew up relatively poor compared to most golfers and started with rusty old clubs my dad found in one of the barns at our family farm, and didn't play my first round at a course until years later.

the HI Golf Spi site just did a test on the Pearl golf ball which is the original ksig 4 pc ball......run out and get em!!!! same ball just says PEARL golf on the cover.....here is the link

[https://pearlgolf.com/products/pure-pro-x](https://pearlgolf.com/products/pure-pro-x "https://pearlgolf.com/products/pure-pro-x")

> @tsecor said:

> the HI Golf Spi site just did a test on the Pearl golf ball which is the original ksig 4 pc ball......run out and get em!!!! same ball just says PEARL golf on the cover.....here is the link

> [https://pearlgolf.com/products/pure-pro-x](https://pearlgolf.com/products/pure-pro-x "https://pearlgolf.com/products/pure-pro-x")

$31.99 per dozen!!!!....the point of the whole ksig mania was that you were getting a premium level ball at a price point that was unmatched (2 dozen for $25). At that price, it becomes just another ball.

• Like 1

> @wfrogge1 said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> > > @caniac6 said:

> > > > @wkuo3 said:

> > > > > @padget said:

> > > > > > @wkuo3 said:

> > > > > > > @Llortamaisey said:

> > > > > > > Can’t wait to pick up a fine milled Chinese Scotty Kirkland with my 10 lb bag of oranges and rotisserie chicken. It Costco really wanted to come up with a product that everyone would love, they come up with a gas station with no lines.

> > > > > > We fill up the tank every time we stopped by the Costco, but we're told that the Costco Gasoline has one of the highest ethanol content there is, not very good for long term use and the high performance engine ( or the high mileage engines ).

> > > > > > I wonder why Costco is fixated on getting into one of the toughest industry right now. Maybe they had some Corporate golfers or maybe they believe the best time to get into a brand new venture is when everyone is laying low . The Amazon "gorilla" battle tactic. The ability of able to take more beating than the competitors will eventually win the battle.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I doubt there is a K-sig putter unless they release a box set of clubs from their own line. Probably just a small batch of putters produced for pics with the golf balls and will end up in some of the corporate bros offices.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > As the forging and CNC milling process is quite advanced in China these days.

> > > > The putter in the picture could be a singular one ( sample ) provided from the prospective supplier/manufacturer as a sample; or a minimum batch ( 10-30) ordered from test run. I doubt there is room in the high end putter market and you could be correct on the possibility of a set of KS branded golf clubs is being considered.

> > > > My guess is, there might be talks but in reality, profitability is the key of whether the putter or the golf equipment will be in the K.S. line up. From what I had seen, this might have been someone's pet project, far away from being realized. So, the putter could have been the only one as a sample submitted to the Cop. buyer. You're right, might just ended up in someone's office.

> > >

> > > Of course it could be, to steal from Ben Franklin, Proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.

> >

> > Proof ?

> > If that will answer the question, which I doubt it.

> > Either from the source which showed off the putter or from the source that made it. Your guess is as good as mine, which no one knows how this will turn out to be a reality or not.

> > Unless the retail price point could stay below triple digit for a quality putter rival all others 3 times the price tag, not worth going after. Which is by all means possible judging from the profit margin the store had in the past. The huge purchasing power will be the positive elements, but the demanded return policy on the supplier will be the blocking stone on this putter.

> > CAD and manufacturing technology are not an issue, all matters is whether the price point could make sense. There might be the same road block from all other high end putter makers attempting to stop this. Same issue with the first batch of the KSig 4 piece golf ball.

> > Imagine getting a high quality putter for $89 ?

> >

>

> You can get a high quality putter for 89 today

>

>

Or less. I have a buddy who got a $25 Dunlop putter from K-Mart WAY back in the day. He's money from anything within 20 feet and if he misses, it's scaring the hole. Cost has no factor on the quality of a putter and the golfer that's using it.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I don't get it. Why doesnt Costco just work a deal with Callaway or another OEM, design and go for high volume. They already do this with a box set of decent entry level clubs including a quality Odyssey putter. Trying to design limited quantity botique style products goes against everything that made Costco successful.

I really miss the fact that they quit selling those 4 packs of Callaway leather gloves.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly