Scotty T22 - disappointing?

cnnmaverick

> @BYK said:

> > @Fairway14 said:

> > > @ckay said:

> > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > What is the weight of the 35" T22 putter ?

> > >

> > > 350

> >

> > I don't know why Scotty Cameron seems to believe putter head weights should heavy. For fit and, or, customer preference reasons I think the weight of Cameron's putter heads should be about 310 grams with no weights installed. The available weights could then raise the putter head weight from 320 grams to 370 grams.

>

> he raised the weights to keep swing weight consistent when he went to the heavier pistolero grip

> no idea what the weight of the grip on the t22 is, but perhaps its heavy like the pistolero

I think that once 340 gram plus putter head weights became trendy Cameron (and other putter makers) recognized a heavier grip was needed (to counter balance the heavy head weight). So, heavy head-heavy grip has been common for awhile now.

But for fitting and, or, improved putting performance purposes I think Cameron (and other putter brands) should also offer head weights down in the 320 to 330 gram head weight range. With removabale/interchangeable weight screw technology I don't see any good reason not to do this.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Fairway14 said:

> > @BYK said:

> > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > @ckay said:

> > > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > > What is the weight of the 35" T22 putter ?

> > > >

> > > > 350

> > >

> > > I don't know why Scotty Cameron seems to believe putter head weights should heavy. For fit and, or, customer preference reasons I think the weight of Cameron's putter heads should be about 310 grams with no weights installed. The available weights could then raise the putter head weight from 320 grams to 370 grams.

> >

> > he raised the weights to keep swing weight consistent when he went to the heavier pistolero grip

> > no idea what the weight of the grip on the t22 is, but perhaps its heavy like the pistolero

>

> I think that once 340 gram plus putter head weights became trendy Cameron (and other putter makers) recognized a heavier grip was needed (to counter balance the heavy head weight). So, heavy head-heavy grip has been common for awhile now.

> But for fitting and, or, improved putting performance purposes I think Cameron (and other putter brands) should also offer head weights down in the 320 to 330 gram head weight range. With removabale/interchangeable weight screw technology I don't see any good reason not to do this.

Oh I agree with that

esp with the ability to go as heavy as you want with the adjustable weights

but you're right, you can't go lighter

Yadi for President

> @BYK said:

> > @Fairway14 said:

> > > @ckay said:

> > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > What is the weight of the 35" T22 putter ?

> > >

> > > 350

> >

> > I don't know why Scotty Cameron seems to believe putter head weights should heavy. For fit and, or, customer preference reasons I think the weight of Cameron's putter heads should be about 310 grams with no weights installed. The available weights could then raise the putter head weight from 320 grams to 370 grams.

>

> he raised the weights to keep swing weight consistent when he went to the heavier pistolero grip

> no idea what the weight of the grip on the t22 is, but perhaps its heavy like the pistolero

My pistolini plus weighs 80 grams, so your assumption is correct.

My 34" NPII with the stock grip and 15g weights had a swing weight of around D6 when I got it, which is probably pretty normal for a putter nowadays. After swapping the grip for a Pingman, and replacing the 15g weights with 10g weights, it's somewhere around the D3-D4 range.

> @SSwanson said:

> > @BYK said:

> > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > @ckay said:

> > > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > > What is the weight of the 35" T22 putter ?

> > > >

> > > > 350

> > >

> > > I don't know why Scotty Cameron seems to believe putter head weights should heavy. For fit and, or, customer preference reasons I think the weight of Cameron's putter heads should be about 310 grams with no weights installed. The available weights could then raise the putter head weight from 320 grams to 370 grams.

> >

> > he raised the weights to keep swing weight consistent when he went to the heavier pistolero grip

> > no idea what the weight of the grip on the t22 is, but perhaps its heavy like the pistolero

>

> My pistolini plus weighs 80 grams, so your assumption is correct.

>

> My 34" NPII with the stock grip and 15g weights had a swing weight of around D6 when I got it, which is probably pretty normal for a putter nowadays. After swapping the grip for a Pingman, and replacing the 15g weights with 10g weights, it's somewhere around the D3-D4 range.

cool

thanks for the confirmation

thinking about putting lighter weights in mine too

But it's probably heading back to Titleist first for them to fix the elastomer and insert. SMH

Yadi for President

Played first round with NP2 and had my best round of the year. The feel is soft, but still firm not sure how to describe it. Maybe it's the lack of vibration? I really like the new pistolero plus grip it feels solid in the hands and just the works for me really well. I agree with others that say the headcover is terrible. The material feels cheap like it will just flake apart. The padding or stuffing whatever you want to call it doesnt feel as good as well. Overall putter is really good and I love the finish and feel, but headcover is a joke.

• 1 year later...

So I bought a T22 on eBay for a good deal, as I was looking for a soft insert and loved the look.

to my dismay, it is firmer than my ping redwood and Scotty special. I did buy it with a super stroke grip so I’m hoping when I put the studio grip on it that it will make a difference but kind of thinking it was a mistake at this point...

8 hours ago, boxerdoc said:

So I bought a T22 on eBay for a good deal, as I was looking for a soft insert and loved the look.

to my dismay, it is firmer than my ping redwood and Scotty special. I did buy it with a super stroke grip so I’m hoping when I put the studio grip on it that it will make a difference but kind of thinking it was a mistake at this point...

I have never tried either of the two putters you are comparing too, but I’m wondering if the sound is playing an affect on your sense of firmness. So many variables but to think a Scotty Special would feel softerr is surprising.

Edited by wely324

I got one recently, and while it is not the softest putter I have ever hit, it is the softest of all the scotty cameron putters I have tried in the past.

I really like the feel of it--it is quite addicting to be honest. Now it is battling with Bettinardi Signature model 2 for a spot in my bag. I can't decide 😄 

I recently sold my Scotty T22, didn’t get any play time since it was a FB and I’m a blade guy.  As far as soft feeling, the copper insert is fairly thin and can only do so much.  My older Tel 3 copper insert Scotty and even my non insert older Scotty 62 series number 2 basic milled, both feel a bit softer but that’s the carbon milled steel that used to be used.  Now most manufacturers have switched to stainless over carbon so the putters don’t rust or ding as easily.  While if you can get your hands on a Scotty tour or tour edition putter those are still carbon steel.  Softest putters I’ve used were a Scotty that was carbon steel and electroplated in copper, felt almost as soft as a solid copper Kevin Burns putter without having to worry about bending it by putting any weight on it.  

I have a FB T22 and found it quite soft and really struggled on slow greens. Have since gone to a 2021 X 5.5 and feel that is more firm for sure.

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

On 5/13/2021 at 12:27 AM, wely324 said:

I have never tried either of the two putters you are comparing too, but I’m wondering if the sound is playing an affect on your sense of firmness. So many variables but to think a Scotty Special would feel softerr is surprising.

I sometimes putt at home with my airpod pros in. They cancel all of the noise. I've noticed it feels completely different when you take sound away. This isn't a revelation, but it's more noticeable than I expected it would be. 

17 hours ago, hwturner17 said:

I sometimes putt at home with my airpod pros in. They cancel all of the noise. I've noticed it feels completely different when you take sound away. This isn't a revelation, but it's more noticeable than I expected it would be. 

For sure sound has a TON to do with feel

it's really crazy when you put in airpods, or whatever and putt

I feel like there is no feeling at all when I do it, and I sure can't tell much of a difference between putters when I can't hear anything.

Yadi for President

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, NZ315 said:

Anyone still using the T22 putters? What are your thoughts?

I’ve had a Newport from release and use it April/May to end of October each season. In the northwest of England it’s too wet over winter to use as I struggle to get to the hole on wet greens, so I switch to my older Newport two for winter golf. Currently debating whether to slot the t22 back in for this weekend or wait another week. I’d never sell it.

Edited by philly2kuk

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

8 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

I’ve had a Newport from release and use it April/May to end of October each season. In the northwest of England it’s too wet over winter to use as I struggle to get to the hole on wet greens, so I switch to my older Newport two for winter golf. Currently debating whether to slot the t22 back in for this weekend or wait another week. I’d never sell it.

So the face of the T22 is a bit more dead? Less pop than the Newport. 
I currently have the Fastback 1.5 debate if I should pick up a T22 or Maybe they will come out with a newer version??

2 hours ago, NZ315 said:

So the face of the T22 is a bit more dead? Less pop than the Newport. 
I currently have the Fastback 1.5 debate if I should pick up a T22 or Maybe they will come out with a newer version??

I wouldn’t say dead, the feedback is great. Like most insert putters I just find it soft and end up having to hit it harder in wet, cold, wintry conditions. Once the course dries up here in the UK it goes in for the summer season.

Taylormade TP5x

5 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

I wouldn’t say dead, the feedback is great. Like most insert putters I just find it soft and end up having to hit it harder in wet, cold, wintry conditions. Once the course dries up here in the UK it goes in for the summer season.

Just trying to see if it is worth the extra $$ people are trying to get out there. Some are asking $1500US I wouldn’t pay that much. Going to hang on for a better deal

I got mine for £600 brand new on release. I’ve been offered silly money for it but I would never pay £1000 plus for a putter like that. You’d get a newer special release for cheaper if you know a good pro.

Taylormade TP5x

On 4/17/2023 at 9:23 AM, NZ315 said:

Anyone still using the T22 putters? What are your thoughts?

Sold mine and went to the OG button back.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

• 2 weeks later...