Golfing everyday?

craniac76

I play just about every day for the entire golf season, but I've got the perfect storm of conditions to do so. My wife also plays, and we live less than 5 minutes from our course. I work as a software engineer, and work from home full time, as does my wife. As long as I keep delivering projects ahead of time, and answer messages when I get them, my boss doesn't care what kind of hours I work. A lot of times I'll slip out mid-day for a quick 9, and every day after work, the wife and I play, except on our league nights. Weekends I'll play 18 with the guys and another 9 or 18 with the wife after.

IUOE journeyman here. When I worked swing/2nd shift I could golf every day in the morning and still have a few hrs before work for other things.

On day shift, if working 5-8’s can golf in afternoons. Off at 1430. If working 4-10’s it’s a little tougher in the winter with a 1630 off time but can still do 3x/week.

It’s getting dark up here in the winter between 1630-1730 but 9 holes with a cart is doable.

OT screws it up a bit but pays for Pebble Beach and Bandon at other times so it’s a wash.

Daily, or near daily golf, is pretty easy actually. Especially when single with no kids.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Im working on being self employed and you can golf everyday if you planned it. After a while though, I would trade in couple of single rounds during the week for a couple of rounds with my buddies. Golf is also about sharing the time with your friends and watching them and your self play some great shots.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I “retired” at 31. More of a glorified break from work thats lasted almost 4 years now. Though now im working on getting another business fired up and once its got the right people in the right places with the right systems ill start another one and keep repeating till the day they put me in the dirt. I knew that if i didnt take a break sometime i never would. I didnt have 2 nickles to rub together when i started, i worked 100+hours/week for a few years and when i quit i had aqquired quite a nice collection of heavy equipment. Sold my machines and took my retirement early. Figured why not do it when the kids are babies/young and i can still physically move around at a decent speed. Played golf almost every day and while i got pretty good (down around scratch for a bit) it honestly started getting a bit old. Some of the looks people give you too when they ask the stupid old question “what do you do?” And you answer with “well i wake up when ever i feel like it, fool around for a bit then go golfing”. People tend NOT to like that answer for some reason when you are in your early 30s.

Though bittersweet my “retirement”/WRX days are nearing an end (least a good slow down) now that im starting to ramp stuff back up. Ill still play 2-3x/week but mostly for business related reasons.

When I lived in Atlanta I started playing with a group of guys that were retired FDNY or NYPD. They get to retire early and they all had wives that made a lot of money. I also played with a bunch of Georgia Power guys that basically retired, but had wives that made a fortune.

When I lived in Myrtle Beach, there were a lot of cases of Mr. Mom's or guys that didn't work. Essentially, they and their wife had dreamed about living in a place like Myrtle Beach and the wife would find a good job at a bank and the husband couldn't find a job because the job market is not that good. So they decided to move to the area anyway and have the wife as the bread winner while the husband stayed home, cleaned the house, made dinner, etc. That wasn't uncommon.

Then you have the route of being wealthy or downright suspicious means of living. One friend of mine grew up in money and never worked a day in his life and plays golf every day in season. During the winter time, he skis every day.

Another friend of mine's parents own a chain of liquor stores and gave him a few stores to run. He plays golf in the morning and then hooks up his XBox behind the counter and plays most of the day during 'work.' I also knew a guy in Atlanta that made a fortune off some type of software and retired at 38 years old and played golf almost every day. And one of my best friends growing up playing junior golf used to have his parents pay for virtually anything he wanted and payed for him to play AJGA events cross the country. Nobody ever knew what his parents did for a living and he has never worked a day in his life and we have no idea where he's getting the money. He plays golf every day in the summer in NY and then moves to Florida during the winter and plays golf every day. I'll just say that he's Italian and leave it at that. But seriously, I've known him since I was 12 years old and nobody knows what his parents or himself do for money.

RH

I have two buddies who play almost every day for most of the year and still have jobs. One owns an insurance company. He doesn't play during the open enrollment time of year, but can play almost every day from mid-January until mid-November. The other is a self employed accountant who only has a few relatively routine and longstanding clients. There are about 3-4 days that he can't play around the end of each quarter or fiscal year. Then he doesn't play very much in March, April, or October (tax day for extension filers). Other than that, he's always playing.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I teach golf and ill go on stretches where i will play holes (never full 18, hardly more than 9) for 3-6 weeks straight everyday. Though i will go on 3-6 week stretches where i will play less 18 holes total. Its all bout balance

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing stopping me from playing 365 days a year is the body barking. I've got what I imagine are common injuries for guys my age (56), but still am out there hoofing it 4-5-6 days a week anyway. I'd do 36-45 a dy if I could. No kids or major responsibilities helps. Golf is a way of life to some. Not so for others. I chased my business down the drain and had a bad injury so was sidelined for a long stretch, but rebounded last year and will play my way into a coffin before I stop (humor). It helps to work for yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to wonder the same thing, and still do about a couple of guys at my club. But I’ve learned that people have all manner of interesting professions and/or ways to get out on the golf course yet still make a living.

I work as a GM of a business that involves a lot of client work. I work from home but travel about two weeks a month. When I’m at home and when my schedule is light, I can get out for 9 or even 18 in the DST time period. I do have a wife and kids, and so that cuts into my golf a bit (a good tradeoff though). But I play maybe 1 18 hole round a week plus one or two 9 hole rounds and / or range sessions. Not everyday, but certainly more than most.

A young guy in our club is a wealth advisor that uses golf as a way to build clients. I always find it funny, though, to have a 30 year old advise a 50 year old on money. And I’d bet this 30 year old spends more than he makes. But anyway, he has a wife and young kids but plays almost every day.

A buddy I grew up with was born super wealthy and he’s now inherited a large part of the family fortune. He did work for a few years after college, but only as a means to learn how to manage the inheritance. To his credit, he’s reasonably smart with the money he’s been given. He has houses in several places, and spends his time between “home” and the beach and he plays golf any time he wants.

Several guys in our club either own businesses that run themselves or used to own a business but sold it and have plenty of money to live out their days playing golf and traveling.

There are all kind of ways to make this work...

• 2 weeks later...

I am retired now so I could play everyday if I was willing to drive somewhere to play on Mondays when the club where I live is closed. I don't.

My claim to fame was 12 months ending in July this year, I play 201 rounds of golf...with a full time job.

It is getting harder for me to play so much because of arthritis in my right hand. But, as long as I can stand it...probably keep it up.

My friends literally participates in conference calls while playing. He is getting in 27 - 36 holes every day and his game is insanity. He's a 11 now and continues to go low. All the practice makes him a bear to play now, he wipes me out lol.

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

> @RichieHunt said:

> When I lived in Atlanta I started playing with a group of guys that were retired FDNY or NYPD. They get to retire early and they all had wives that made a lot of money. I also played with a bunch of Georgia Power guys that basically retired, but had wives that made a fortune.

>

> When I lived in Myrtle Beach, there were a lot of cases of Mr. Mom's or guys that didn't work. Essentially, they and their wife had dreamed about living in a place like Myrtle Beach and the wife would find a good job at a bank and the husband couldn't find a job because the job market is not that good. So they decided to move to the area anyway and have the wife as the bread winner while the husband stayed home, cleaned the house, made dinner, etc. That wasn't uncommon.

>

> Then you have the route of being wealthy or downright suspicious means of living. One friend of mine grew up in money and never worked a day in his life and plays golf every day in season. During the winter time, he skis every day.

>

> Another friend of mine's parents own a chain of liquor stores and gave him a few stores to run. He plays golf in the morning and then hooks up his XBox behind the counter and plays most of the day during 'work.' I also knew a guy in Atlanta that made a fortune off some type of software and retired at 38 years old and played golf almost every day. And one of my best friends growing up playing junior golf used to have his parents pay for virtually anything he wanted and payed for him to play AJGA events cross the country. Nobody ever knew what his parents did for a living and he has never worked a day in his life and we have no idea where he's getting the money. He plays golf every day in the summer in NY and then moves to Florida during the winter and plays golf every day. I'll just say that he's Italian and leave it at that. But seriously, I've known him since I was 12 years old and nobody knows what his parents or himself do for money.

>

>

>

>

> RH

Loved this post......

Moved from St. Louis to Jacksonville and noticed this. Lots of dads wondering the streets, courses, groceries stores. Must be really common......

Truth be told, I'm 44 my wife 35 and once our oldest almost 17 (previous relationship) is out of the house we are looking to transition further south in a lower cost of living area in a much smaller place and live a quasi minimlist lifestyle. I still have 10 years to go so.... there is that but it gives me a goal to shoot for.

OBTW she is a nurse in a leadership role and once we gain residency here she is going through the nursing leadership MA program to score one of those director positions (She has tons of experience already, ~10 years) in those clinics. The pay is ~150,000 which is about a little more than half of what we make together now but......

We are talking one car, condo, no cable really cutting back a ton..... Combing the beaches and picking up a few rounds here and there... That's life to me.

But my daugther has one of those most funds sitting at ~36 k which should get her through her undergrad at the local University..... Assuming she stays at the house.

Sorry for the rant!

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1