New TM p790 irons ???

tigerd

Im 3 weeks with my P790s and i still love them. My only issue was playing short par 3. Ex par 3 121 would call for a Gap wedge(AW). But i tend to overswing. So now i go PW with a 75% swing and that has fixed my issue. In addition with my old clubs the 150yd marker was a 7 iron now its a 9 iron. I believe having the proper shaft with the P790 will help everyone in terms of ball flight and landing angles. Still debating on a 4 iron.

I just got the 2019 790s and need to change the shafts. I normally play nippon 120 stiffs and the DG 105 stiffs don’t feel good at all. Ball flight is ok, but trajectory is not to my liking. Once the shafts are changed I know these will be good sticks for me.

Srixon ZX5 10.5*

Titleist Tsi 2 15*

Callaway Apex UW 19* hybrid

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4-GW

Taylor Made Milled Grind Raw 54*

Taylor Made Milled Grind Raw 58*

Clay Long SS A220.2 custom

> @bob_fish said:

> I just got the 2019 790s and need to change the shafts. I normally play nippon 120 stiffs and the DG 105 stiffs don’t feel good at all. Ball flight is ok, but trajectory is not to my liking. Once the shafts are changed I know these will be good sticks for me.

>

>

I have the Nippon 120 shaft. Its amazing. Just curious will the shaft change be an addition charge? Good luck

> @peterrod said:

> > @bob_fish said:

> > I just got the 2019 790s and need to change the shafts. I normally play nippon 120 stiffs and the DG 105 stiffs don’t feel good at all. Ball flight is ok, but trajectory is not to my liking. Once the shafts are changed I know these will be good sticks for me.

> >

> >

>

> I have the Nippon 120 shaft. Its amazing. Just curious will the shaft change be an addition charge? Good luck

Yes, it will be a retro-fit, but I have a set of pulls to put in them.

Srixon ZX5 10.5*

Titleist Tsi 2 15*

Callaway Apex UW 19* hybrid

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4-GW

Taylor Made Milled Grind Raw 54*

Taylor Made Milled Grind Raw 58*

Clay Long SS A220.2 custom

My last 4 rounds with my P790s:

72, 72, 71 and 73.

Finished 2nd place in my club’s closing tournament with a 71. I couldn’t be happier with these.

• Like 2

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

> @TheMoneyShot said:

> > @ASN21 said:

> > > @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > > Hit these tonight, they’re legit. But I also hit the Epic Forged and I think I’m in love. I’ve made a grave mistake.

> > If you liked the forged then wait for the 790 Ti

> >

>

> Has anyone hit the Ti version yet?

I have...legit....larger head size discouraged me but very long and good looking.

> @TrueWRX said:

> How’s the 8-PW compared to first generation?> @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > My last 4 rounds with my P790s:

> > 72, 72, 71 and 73.

> > Finished 2nd place in my club’s closing tournament with a 71. I couldn’t be happier with these.

>

>

I’ve yet to hit one “flier” with the shorter irons as the last generation had. If I’m 130 out the PW is going 130 for me pending a quality strike. On mishits these clubs are super forgiving though. Extremely happy with my purchase.

• Like 1

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

> @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > @TrueWRX said:

> > How’s the 8-PW compared to first generation?> @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > > My last 4 rounds with my P790s:

> > > 72, 72, 71 and 73.

> > > Finished 2nd place in my club’s closing tournament with a 71. I couldn’t be happier with these.

> >

> >

> I’ve yet to hit one “flier” with the shorter irons as the last generation had. If I’m 130 out the PW is going 130 for me pending a quality strike. On mishits these clubs are super forgiving though. Extremely happy with my purchase.

>

Thanks I never had any flier issues with gen 1. Just thought the 8-PW felt dead compared to the 4-7

• 1 month later...

> @TrueWRX said:

> > @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > > @TrueWRX said:

> > > How’s the 8-PW compared to first generation?> @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > > > My last 4 rounds with my P790s:

> > > > 72, 72, 71 and 73.

> > > > Finished 2nd place in my club’s closing tournament with a 71. I couldn’t be happier with these.

> > >

> > >

> > I’ve yet to hit one “flier” with the shorter irons as the last generation had. If I’m 130 out the PW is going 130 for me pending a quality strike. On mishits these clubs are super forgiving though. Extremely happy with my purchase.

> >

>

> Thanks I never had any flier issues with gen 1. Just thought the 8-PW felt dead compared to the 4-7

Not able to find a full bag fitter in the Philly area. Hitting 7 iron well, same loft as my iE1's but with teh DG S300 shaft. Tighter dispersion with P790 vs the two - do 8-AW feel the same. That is what I noticed most. The feel was much better in P790 IMO off the club face. I will adjust lofts to care for gaping, but wanted to get some opinions. Honestly, i think it is the shaft that is helping with dispersion as it was good dispersion in i210 and P790 (did not like i500 at all). But the P790 was great to hit.

Tour AD XC 6S Callaway Smoke 3D 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

> @kiddoc said:

> > @TheMoneyShot said:

> > > @ASN21 said:

> > > > @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> > > > Hit these tonight, they’re legit. But I also hit the Epic Forged and I think I’m in love. I’ve made a grave mistake.

> > > If you liked the forged then wait for the 790 Ti

> > >

> >

> > Has anyone hit the Ti version yet?

>

>

> I have...legit....larger head size discouraged me but very long and good looking.

>

How did they compare to the regular P790’s? Any performance difference?

> @bob_fish said:

> I just got the 2019 790s and need to change the shafts. I normally play nippon 120 stiffs and the DG 105 stiffs don’t feel good at all. Ball flight is ok, but trajectory is not to my liking. Once the shafts are changed I know these will be good sticks for me.

>

>

Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet but isn't trajectory and ball flight the same thing?

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Does anyone know - when you use the TM P790 configurator and choose Project X Steel shafts (regular Project X) they are designated as Model: "Project X T". What does the "T" stand for? Are they the normal retail Project X iron shafts?

Taylormade M3 8.5* Driver
Callaway Apex 20* Hybrid
Taylormade UDI 2-Iron
Taylormade P760 4-AW w/ PX 6.5
Cleveland RTX-3 55*/60*
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec

T = taper tip

P = parallel

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

How’s everyone that got the 2019 P790s still liking them? I really am liking mine!

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @AG12 said:

> How’s everyone that got the 2019 P790s still liking them? I really am liking mine!

I came to these with modus 105 from jpx 850 forged with ctaper lite. i love these so far. I miss off the toe a bit and these minimize the impact of that in a way I didn't think possible. only played three rounds but very pleased. The shaft has been an upgrade for me as well, unloads easier and has excellent trajectory, even on miss hits. great stick

Would love to hear more feedback from low HCs playing the new 790s now that they've been out for a while?

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @dpb5031 said:

> Would love to hear more feedback from low HCs playing the new 790s now that they've been out for a while?

I am finishing up the season at a 7 handicap, not entirely sure how "low" you are looking for, but ball striking is a strength of mine so I will chime in. I was fit for these in mid August when they were first announced. I was previously in Titleist 718 CB with stock PX LZ 6.0 shaft. I tested many irons and shafts and settled on the 790s with C Taper 130 X. I am not a huge believer in chasing distance and I prefer accuracy. With these I did gain both however. I also attribute that to the shaft because with other shafts I was not getting the same results. For the record, the 7 iron CB went about 180 for me, the 790 7 iron flies 190. So not huge distance gains at all, I think one club is fair. Dispersion is super tight. I only miss if I don't put a good swing on the ball. I was also super skeptical due to the whole strong lofted hollow body potential "flier" issue and I can safely say that since I received the set the first week of September I have had zero issues with distance control all the way through the bag. I have probably 30 rounds in since then and I can confidently say I hit my number when playing these irons. But I do believe fitting is key because I did see difference is ball flight and dispersion during the testing with different shafts.

Overall, very pleased. I would definitely give them a test. There is also probably 4 or 5 guys at my club who were fitted for this set, ranging handicaps from 2 thru 12, who are all very pleased.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-P Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Ping PLD DS 72

Titleist Pro V1

> @iceman1118 said:

> > @dpb5031 said:

> > Would love to hear more feedback from low HCs playing the new 790s now that they've been out for a while?

>

> I am finishing up the season at a 7 handicap, not entirely sure how "low" you are looking for, but ball striking is a strength of mine so I will chime in. I was fit for these in mid August when they were first announced. I was previously in Titleist 718 CB with stock PX LZ 6.0 shaft. I tested many irons and shafts and settled on the 790s with C Taper 130 X. I am not a huge believer in chasing distance and I prefer accuracy. With these I did gain both however. I also attribute that to the shaft because with other shafts I was not getting the same results. For the record, the 7 iron CB went about 180 for me, the 790 7 iron flies 190. So not huge distance gains at all, I think one club is fair. Dispersion is super tight. I only miss if I don't put a good swing on the ball. I was also super skeptical due to the whole strong lofted hollow body potential "flier" issue and I can safely say that since I received the set the first week of September I have had zero issues with distance control all the way through the bag. I have probably 30 rounds in since then and I can confidently say I hit my number when playing these irons. But I do believe fitting is key because I did see difference is ball flight and dispersion during the testing with different shafts.

>

> Overall, very pleased. I would definitely give them a test. There is also probably 4 or 5 guys at my club who were fitted for this set, ranging handicaps from 2 thru 12, who are all very pleased.

Thanks for the great feedback! I was initially disinterested in these because of the strong loft/hollow bodied/distance iron thing, but I had a chance to hit them and was surprised how much I loved the feel. I'm not unhappy with my i200s, but it's been a few seasons and I'm getting the itch for something new and shiny...lol!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @dpb5031 said:

> > @iceman1118 said:

> > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > Would love to hear more feedback from low HCs playing the new 790s now that they've been out for a while?

> >

> > I am finishing up the season at a 7 handicap, not entirely sure how "low" you are looking for, but ball striking is a strength of mine so I will chime in. I was fit for these in mid August when they were first announced. I was previously in Titleist 718 CB with stock PX LZ 6.0 shaft. I tested many irons and shafts and settled on the 790s with C Taper 130 X. I am not a huge believer in chasing distance and I prefer accuracy. With these I did gain both however. I also attribute that to the shaft because with other shafts I was not getting the same results. For the record, the 7 iron CB went about 180 for me, the 790 7 iron flies 190. So not huge distance gains at all, I think one club is fair. Dispersion is super tight. I only miss if I don't put a good swing on the ball. I was also super skeptical due to the whole strong lofted hollow body potential "flier" issue and I can safely say that since I received the set the first week of September I have had zero issues with distance control all the way through the bag. I have probably 30 rounds in since then and I can confidently say I hit my number when playing these irons. But I do believe fitting is key because I did see difference is ball flight and dispersion during the testing with different shafts.

> >

> > Overall, very pleased. I would definitely give them a test. There is also probably 4 or 5 guys at my club who were fitted for this set, ranging handicaps from 2 thru 12, who are all very pleased.

>

> Thanks for the great feedback! I was initially disinterested in these because of the strong loft/hollow bodied/distance iron thing, but I had a chance to hit them and was surprised how much I loved the feel. I'm not unhappy with my i200s, but it's been a few seasons and I'm getting the itch for something new and shiny...lol!

I hear you. I was not unhappy with my Titleist CBs either. But after a summer of lessons, better swing and handicap coming down, it was time to get fitted and really start dialing in. Turns out fitting was a great move for me because everything in my previous bag was nowhere near what I needed as I progressed.

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-P Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Ping PLD DS 72

Titleist Pro V1

> @KMeloney said:

> > @Wardman said:

>

> > Not able to find a full bag fitter in the Philly area.

>

> Huh? Go to Club Champion at 76 & City Ave.

>

>

They have a stock 6i head, nothing else. Hoping a course in Scottsdale has a rental set.

> @Wardman said:

> > @KMeloney said:

> > > @Wardman said:

> >

> > > Not able to find a full bag fitter in the Philly area.

> >

> > Huh? Go to Club Champion at 76 & City Ave.

> >

> >

>

> They have a stock 6i head, nothing else. Hoping a course in Scottsdale has a rental set.

Most places that do full bag fittings don’t have anything more than a single iron head. Full bag fittings aren’t literally a 14 club fitting. It’s irons based on a demo iron head, wedges, hybrids, fw and driver and sometimes a putter.

> @Wardman said:

> > @KMeloney said:

> > > @Wardman said:

> >

> > > Not able to find a full bag fitter in the Philly area.

> >

> > Huh? Go to Club Champion at 76 & City Ave.

> >

> >

>

> They have a stock 6i head, nothing else. Hoping a course in Scottsdale has a rental set.

So, you mean that you can't find a fitter that has each number iron of a set in stock? Got it. I think when people talk about "full-bag fittings," they're commonly talking about being fit for putter, wedges, irons, and hybrids & woods...

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @Wardman said:

> > > @KMeloney said:

> > > > @Wardman said:

> > >

> > > > Not able to find a full bag fitter in the Philly area.

> > >

> > > Huh? Go to Club Champion at 76 & City Ave.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > They have a stock 6i head, nothing else. Hoping a course in Scottsdale has a rental set.

>

> Most places that do full bag fittings don’t have anything more than a single iron head. Full bag fittings aren’t literally a 14 club fitting. It’s irons based on a demo iron head, wedges, hybrids, fw and driver and sometimes a putter.

Correct, and when 7-3 are speed slot and the 8-A are not that poses a problem.