Was this driver shaft cut and adjusted correctly?

Scooper5

Hey everyone,

Got a question that I might get many different answers for, but I'm putting my driving game under a microscope with trying to figure out how much of the problem is the user and how much the equipment. Don't laugh too much about the equipment I'm asking about because the driver would be considered a fossil today.

So I purchased a Taylormade R11 TP in 2012 from my buddy after he used it for a season. It was shafted with a Mitsubishi Diamana Ahina 60gram X-Flex. Back then I swung hard with an abrupt transition and driver was always the most inconsistent and inaccurate club in my bag. So I probably shouldn't have been playing it. But the price was right. After shortly purchasing it, I said I wanted to cut an inch of the shaft in hopes of improving my accuracy. My buddy has worked in the clubmaking industry and has been certified by numerous OEMs. He cut it down for me and said, with shortening it, we need to change the heel weight to 10g and the toe side would be 1gram. I trusted him.

About three years ago, I underwent golf lessons, smoothed out my tempo and realized that the Ahina would probably not be a good fit with a changed swing. I purchased a Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'li 70 gram x5ct S-Flex because in the past my driver flight has been low. So I was looking to maximize trajectory and improve accuracy with a heavier shaft. I cut it to the same length as the Ahina so no adjustment to the head, I thought, was necessary.

Since then, it is still my weakest club. Through this league season, I might have had 6 weeks where I was happy with it, but coincidentally, it was after I was starting to search for a new shaft and throw the Kai'li on the trash pile.

I'd love to get fitted (haven't been in 10 years) and purchase a new driver, but I am a golfing dad of one-year-twin girls. So yeah, I'm a golfer on a tight budget. Could someone tell me if the adjustments made to shaft and head weight to this club have been correct and what the change in head weights does? For swing background, I was hitting a consistent draw with my irons this season while the good swings with the driver were a small fade. Sadly, the miss tended to be a push cut shot because of the draw swing I would have with my irons.

Full disclosure: I am 15-handicap who started shooting in the mid-to-low 80s this season despite using the driver maybe three times per 18 on my home course (the track yardage isn't long enough where I need to be hitting driver a lot). I know it's my driver that is keeping me from breaking 80 and reaching other goals because I can never play aggressive on short holes if I want to.

Thanks to all who chime in.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to guess there is something inherently wrong with your driver swing. I agree cutting 1" is helpful for most people, and swapping the weights would help to close the face and fight a slice. He was right to try that.

Two things that may not be helping are the shaft...and x flex. The ahina is a serious low/low shaft...add he X flex to it and it might just be a bit too much shaft, or the wrong profile at the very least.

I would say...swing first....equipment second.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

> @Scooper5 said:

> Hey everyone,

> Got a question that I might get many different answers for, but I'm putting my driving game under a microscope with trying to figure out how much of the problem is the user and how much the equipment. Don't laugh too much about the equipment I'm asking about because the driver would be considered a fossil today.

>

> So I purchased a Taylormade R11 TP in 2012 from my buddy after he used it for a season. It was shafted with a Mitsubishi Diamana Ahina 60gram X-Flex. Back then I swung hard with an abrupt transition and driver was always the most inconsistent and inaccurate club in my bag. So I probably shouldn't have been playing it. But the price was right. After shortly purchasing it, I said I wanted to cut an inch of the shaft in hopes of improving my accuracy. My buddy has worked in the clubmaking industry and has been certified by numerous OEMs. He cut it down for me and said, with shortening it, we need to change the heel weight to 10g and the toe side would be 1gram. I trusted him.

> About three years ago, I underwent golf lessons, smoothed out my tempo and realized that the Ahina would probably not be a good fit with a changed swing. I purchased a Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'li 70 gram x5ct S-Flex because in the past my driver flight has been low. So I was looking to maximize trajectory and improve accuracy with a heavier shaft. I cut it to the same length as the Ahina so no adjustment to the head, I thought, was necessary.

> Since then, it is still my weakest club. Through this league season, I might have had 6 weeks where I was happy with it, but coincidentally, it was after I was starting to search for a new shaft and throw the Kai'li on the trash pile.

>

> I'd love to get fitted (haven't been in 10 years) and purchase a new driver, but I am a golfing dad of one-year-twin girls. So yeah, I'm a golfer on a tight budget. Could someone tell me if the adjustments made to shaft and head weight to this club have been correct and what the change in head weights does? For swing background, I was hitting a consistent draw with my irons this season while the good swings with the driver were a small fade. Sadly, the miss tended to be a push cut shot because of the draw swing I would have with my irons.

>

> Full disclosure: I am 15-handicap who started shooting in the mid-to-low 80s this season despite using the driver maybe three times per 18 on my home course (the track yardage isn't long enough where I need to be hitting driver a lot). I know it's my driver that is keeping me from breaking 80 and reaching other goals because I can never play aggressive on short holes if I want to.

>

> Thanks to all who chime in.

>

All we got to know is that you still have consistency issues, and that could be caused by many different parameters from play length, total weight, balance, flex or profile, even grip size or head weight setting or hosel settings, so i simply link to my DIY driver tune up who is a tutorial guide for how to dial in your driver on the most important specs. No special tools is needed, but a whiteboard(dry erase marker pen and a roll of lead tape is very handy.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/909991/diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting/p1

Its a bit messy after WRX updated the forum, so photo illustrations is no longer where they should be but pushed to the bottom, but its all still there. (ill try to fix it later)

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Id look to swing or setup first, equipment second. Cutting down a shaft an inch would lower 6 sw points, and need an additional 12g added to head to keep sw stock. Id check that first and foremost. Also shaft is just not going to make THAT big of a difference. Its going to be very small tweaks to ball flight mainly. A shaft is also a timing device essentially, but if neither on of those profiles worked for you (two very popular profiles) its likely not the shaft. Id pick the shaft based on feel. Does it feel too light? Too heavy? Too boardy? Too whippy? Thats how you should really choose a shaft. For High/low ball flight and spin, a shaft will only change that on small degrees.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.