2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Blades for mid-high handicapper?

KhooBot

Just needed some feedback before I go into "extensive" testing. Started golf with a set of 2017 M2 irons, moved to Titleist 716 AP1s and now I'm currently a 12ish handicap playing JPX900 Forged with C-Taper 130X and I also have another set of MP18 MB (7-PW) MMC (5-6) MMC FliHi (4) which I picked up for a mad steal. I've dabbled with the MP18 set once in a while and found it to be much nicer feeling on the range but never took it out to the course. I've also never really figured out the gapping for the MP18 set. As for the JPX900F set, I hit my 7i about 180 carry with a decently soft landing, 115-120 mph driver. I'd say my weak link is shots around the green, full shots are decent. My main issues with irons would be low strikes from being too handsy in my swing which causes me to pull the club up and thin the ball. Aside from that, my iron shots are fairly straight with a slight draw. Cured my snap hook miss by shallowing my swing and using the +4 grips. Divots with my JPX900F are fairly deep I'd say.

So the main question here is, what are the real downsides of moving to my MP18s? Do the pros outweigh the cons?

Let me preface this by saying we DO NOT need another blade vs cavity argument in this thread so usual offenders (myself included) let's stay away from that. You sound like myself. Haven't been playing long. Started shooting high 90s/low 100s. Played a ton, lots of range time, had lessons. I'm strong young and fit. Started shooting in the 80s all the time last year and now I'm down to a 5 cap and average score is 79 with quite a few low/mid 70s in there. I'm also 180 carry with 7 and hit driver 275 carry or a bit further. Driver SS around 112mph. Basically, with our level of speed, I see absolutely no detriment to that set. I'm moving to blades from 7-Pw and my end up going all the way to 5. I want forgiveness is 3 and 4 iron so play either a hybrid or something chunky for my longest iron. I think you're in a good set. For the record I really don't like the M2 and think the move was a good one. You'll improve your ball striking and get good shot feedback. Moving to smaller clubs has really helped my strike and I now have those nice wear spots out the middle. Enjoy your new set I think it'll be a good move for you. All the best.

> @balls_deep said:

> Let me preface this by saying we DO NOT need another blade vs cavity argument in this thread so usual offenders (myself included) let's stay away from that. You sound like myself. Haven't been playing long. Started shooting high 90s/low 100s. Played a ton, lots of range time, had lessons. I'm strong young and fit. Started shooting in the 80s all the time last year and now I'm down to a 5 cap and average score is 79 with quite a few 75s in there. I'm also 180 carry with 7 and hit driver 275 carry or a bit further. Driver SS around 112mph. Basically, with our level of speed, I see absolutely no detriment to that set. I'm moving to blades from 7-Pw and my end up going all the way to 5. I want forgiveness is 3 and 4 iron so play either a hybrid or something chunky for my longest iron. I think you're in a good set. For the record I really don't like the M2 and think the move was a good one. You'll improve your ball striking and get good shot feedback. Moving to smaller clubs has really helped my strike and I now have those nice wear spots out the middle. Enjoy your new set I think it'll be a good move for you. All the best.

I guess that's why GolfWRX exists! For us golf mortals to aspire to argue like we all could hit them. In reality, we're not going to be capable but we just gotta work with what we got. I'm not saying that blades are going to make me a better player, but it would be nice to think that we could :)

Could not agree more on the M2. Got it because it looked good when I first started only to realize 6 months later when I sort of figured out how to hit a ball that I didn't need a 7 iron going 4 iron distances. Just left too much of a gap between the irons and wedges.

As someone who has played a blade style more than a cavity over many years,, the only drawback for me is when my swing gets a little out of sorts. The blades make me pay for it. If moving to the MP 18s makes you more comfortable over the ball and have a better feel moving through the ball then sure it's a good move. If the thought of hitting a bad shot is drifting around in your squash, then stay with the irons with a little bit of help. It's truly a very personal thing, just like any of the clubs in your bag.

> @Popeye64 said:

> As someone who has played a blade style more than a cavity over many years,, the only drawback for me is when my swing gets a little out of sorts. The blades make me pay for it. If moving to the MP 18s makes you more comfortable over the ball and have a better feel moving through the ball then sure it's a good move. If the thought of hitting a bad shot is drifting around in your squash, then stay with the irons with a little bit of help. It's truly a very personal thing, just like any of the clubs in your bag.

This is true. I'm in Canada so when I hit Florida during the winter and haven't been swinging I do notice a difference in clubs. The only things to think about are where you want the combo to stop and how your gapping is - i.e you may find the 7 iron is a bit too much in the blade. An 8-PW is no difference whatsoever to a cavity where the 7 iron starts to be a bit more noticeable if you're spreading strike across the face. Not a big deal you could always find an MMC 7 iron to change the combo. The second part of that is whether the 6 iron to 7 iron gap is too large. If you end up doing an MMC 7 you may have to bend it weak or bend the rest of the MBs strong etc. Highly recommend hitting on a sim somewhere and figuring out how the setup suits you. Also that Fli Hi is such a sick chunky club. It is SO soft feeling for that type of iron. Launches to the moon as well which is great for a 4 as you can always flight it down.

I’ve played my Fg 17s, definitely a blade, 4 rounds this month. Last Friday I played a set of TM M CGBs and no difference in score, putting woes. I find myself focusing more on and during the strike with the 17s. The M CGBs are soft in the face, but I straight toed a 7 iron on a 157 par three that was a full club short. Landed in face of bunker. Overall, the CGBs are “easier”, to a certain degree, and I hate to use that word for lack of words, but my misses are better with the 17s. I like the idea of knowing with a blade, the ball is not going to “jump” like it does off the CGBs. Loft for loft, I hit the 17s the same distance. Maybe several more rounds “might” change my mind, but I highly doubt it. I’ve been down that rabbit hole numerous time , only to return to the 17s. They flat out work. FWIW, I’m a 11 HC. My putting and chipping hold me back, and lack of playing time due to a job that takes me from home and golf for 28 days at a time. This is a topic that will “never” have or get the right answer. Play it as it lies, enjoy yourself and the game, as it was intended to be played.

> @boggyman said:

> I’ve played my Fg 17s, definitely a blade, 4 rounds this month. Last Friday I played a set of TM M CGBs and no difference in score, putting woes. I find myself focusing more on and during the strike with the 17s. The M CGBs are soft in the face, but I straight toed a 7 iron on a 157 par three that was a full club short. Landed in face of bunker. Overall, the CGBs are “easier”, to a certain degree, and I hate to use that word for lack of words, but my misses are better with the 17s. I like the idea of knowing with a blade, the ball is not going to “jump” like it does off the CGBs. Loft for loft, I hit the 17s the same distance. Maybe several more rounds “might” change my mind, but I highly doubt it. I’ve been down that rabbit hole numerous time , only to return to the 17s. They flat out work. FWIW, I’m a 11 HC. My putting and chipping hold me back, and lack of playing time due to a job that takes me from home and golf for 28 days at a time. This is a topic that will “never” have or get the right answer. Play it as it lies, enjoy yourself and the game, as it was intended to be played.

Spot on. I don't think those mega shovels help as much as marketing will have someone believe. For an old guy that literally can't turn anymore and is just trying to get the ball out there somewhat straight and needs a bit of launch they have their place.

• Like 1

Agree with you 100% here as well. Marketing is full of BS. Shovels do help some and hurt others. > @balls_deep said:

> > @boggyman said:

> > I’ve played my Fg 17s, definitely a blade, 4 rounds this month. Last Friday I played a set of TM M CGBs and no difference in score, putting woes. I find myself focusing more on and during the strike with the 17s. The M CGBs are soft in the face, but I straight toed a 7 iron on a 157 par three that was a full club short. Landed in face of bunker. Overall, the CGBs are “easier”, to a certain degree, and I hate to use that word for lack of words, but my misses are better with the 17s. I like the idea of knowing with a blade, the ball is not going to “jump” like it does off the CGBs. Loft for loft, I hit the 17s the same distance. Maybe several more rounds “might” change my mind, but I highly doubt it. I’ve been down that rabbit hole numerous time , only to return to the 17s. They flat out work. FWIW, I’m a 11 HC. My putting and chipping hold me back, and lack of playing time due to a job that takes me from home and golf for 28 days at a time. This is a topic that will “never” have or get the right answer. Play it as it lies, enjoy yourself and the game, as it was intended to be played.

>

> Spot on. I don't think those mega shovels help as much as marketing will have someone believe. For an old guy that literally can't turn anymore and is just trying to get the ball out there somewhat straight and needs a bit of launch they have their place.

> @xyckin said:

> Just needed some feedback before I go into "extensive" testing. Started golf with a set of 2017 M2 irons, moved to Titleist 716 AP1s and now I'm currently a 12ish handicap playing JPX900 Forged with C-Taper 130X and I also have another set of MP18 MB (7-PW) MMC (5-6) MMC FliHi (4) which I picked up for a mad steal. I've dabbled with the MP18 set once in a while and found it to be much nicer feeling on the range but never took it out to the course. I've also never really figured out the gapping for the MP18 set. As for the JPX900F set, I hit my 7i about 180 carry with a decently soft landing, 115-120 mph driver. I'd say my weak link is shots around the green, full shots are decent. My main issues with irons would be low strikes from being too handsy in my swing which causes me to pull the club up and thin the ball. Aside from that, my iron shots are fairly straight with a slight draw. Cured my snap hook miss by shallowing my swing and using the +4 grips. Divots with my JPX900F are fairly deep I'd say.

>

> So the main question here is, what are the real downsides of moving to my MP18s? Do the pros outweigh the cons?

You sound like a serious player. Where do you play in Columbia SC ? I’ll be down there very soon for work for almost 3 weeks. We should play a round , I’m no blade player. I need all the help I can get at 14 handicap but always play better when I’m paired with great golfers.

TM SIM2 Stock Ventus

TM SIM2 MAX Rocket Oban Devotion
Callaway Rogue 17 Degree Project X Even Flow Blue
Titleist TS2 21 Degree Tensei Blue
Titleist T300 5-GW Nippon 950GH
Vokey SM6 54 + 58 KBS C Taper
Odyssey EXO 7s
Vice Pro Plus / Kirkland Signature

... I started playing with SGI's. I moved to GI's and then went to Players Irons. I started a period where I played MB's. For me at least, my scores and my game suffered a little mostly due to the mid and certainly the long irons. So I started playing a split set of pw-7 MB and 6-3 CB and that worked well. But I didn't get to a 0 index until going full CB Players Irons. Like you, my miss is thin, due to back surgeries in '93 and '95 so a stiff back has me moving up thru impact on my misses. I found CB's and especially slotted soles help quite a bit with thin shots and with my P790's some thin shots turned out as well as perfectly struck shots.

... That said, I will never regret playing MB's but I do think they retarded my journey to a + index. At least it was a learning experience and as you will hear many times on WRX, they are few feelings like striking an MB absolutely pure. We are all different of course and your experience may be different but for me, modern players irons are the best of all worlds.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

I tested the MP18's against Srixon Z785. I ultimately went with the 785's because I can get a little diggy sometimes and they provided me a little more help than the MP18's did. Both are very good clubs as I think Srixon is about the only iron out there that can really touch Mizuno in the feel department. I know the 785's aren't a true blade but I can't imagine the Z forged is all that different which is probably why the Srixon staffers use the 785 more. I'd say go with the Mizunos since you've got them but if you ever get curious Srixon is a great one to look at.

> @pholway said:

> > @xyckin said:

> > Just needed some feedback before I go into "extensive" testing. Started golf with a set of 2017 M2 irons, moved to Titleist 716 AP1s and now I'm currently a 12ish handicap playing JPX900 Forged with C-Taper 130X and I also have another set of MP18 MB (7-PW) MMC (5-6) MMC FliHi (4) which I picked up for a mad steal. I've dabbled with the MP18 set once in a while and found it to be much nicer feeling on the range but never took it out to the course. I've also never really figured out the gapping for the MP18 set. As for the JPX900F set, I hit my 7i about 180 carry with a decently soft landing, 115-120 mph driver. I'd say my weak link is shots around the green, full shots are decent. My main issues with irons would be low strikes from being too handsy in my swing which causes me to pull the club up and thin the ball. Aside from that, my iron shots are fairly straight with a slight draw. Cured my snap hook miss by shallowing my swing and using the +4 grips. Divots with my JPX900F are fairly deep I'd say.

> >

> > So the main question here is, what are the real downsides of moving to my MP18s? Do the pros outweigh the cons?

>

> You sound like a serious player. Where do you play in Columbia SC ? I’ll be down there very soon for work for almost 3 weeks. We should play a round , I’m no blade player. I need all the help I can get at 14 handicap but always play better when I’m paired with great golfers.

Check your DM!

Haha thanks for the input guys. I'm a fairly young guy (old for a college kid) and athletic as I swim in college. Distance isn't really something I'm looking for, just learning to strike the ball better and I get the consensus here that blades could help me work on that.

Can't believe that a year ago I thought I'd stick with SGI/GIs because they were just so easy to get the ball airborne...

> @balls_deep said:

> > @Popeye64 said:

> > As someone who has played a blade style more than a cavity over many years,, the only drawback for me is when my swing gets a little out of sorts. The blades make me pay for it. If moving to the MP 18s makes you more comfortable over the ball and have a better feel moving through the ball then sure it's a good move. If the thought of hitting a bad shot is drifting around in your squash, then stay with the irons with a little bit of help. It's truly a very personal thing, just like any of the clubs in your bag.

>

> This is true. I'm in Canada so when I hit Florida during the winter and haven't been swinging I do notice a difference in clubs. The only things to think about are where you want the combo to stop and how your gapping is - i.e you may find the 7 iron is a bit too much in the blade. An 8-PW is no difference whatsoever to a cavity where the 7 iron starts to be a bit more noticeable if you're spreading strike across the face. Not a big deal you could always find an MMC 7 iron to change the combo. The second part of that is whether the 6 iron to 7 iron gap is too large. If you end up doing an MMC 7 you may have to bend it weak or bend the rest of the MBs strong etc. Highly recommend hitting on a sim somewhere and figuring out how the setup suits you. Also that Fli Hi is such a sick chunky club. It is SO soft feeling for that type of iron. Launches to the moon as well which is great for a 4 as you can always flight it down.

In my setup I'm actually playing two 6 irons. I have the MMB Blacks which are traditional lofted clubs up to a 6 iron. I then have a 5-6 TS-2. Which have ~4° gap 6 iron to 6 iron. So its like a traditional 4-5 but with a lot of help in a modern GI club head.

I think you will be fine and if anything will improve your striking. I find that alot of the modern blades arent like the blades of the past. Much more forgiving, and i would even go as far as saying they are just as forgiving as a players cavity. Now what they do not do is mute mishits. They will let you know and in a loud way. Hence why it can improve striking.

I would switch to JPX 919 Tours if you want a more bladed iron with your handicap. Still a bladed iron basically that tour players use (Koepka). I used them the whole year and they were good irons and will give you a touch more forgiveness but still great feel. Your scores will like the 919 Tours compared to MPxx MBs. The only thing I'd really be afraid of is if you already have deep divots with the forged you could have giant beaver pelts moving to something more bladed.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI Black Onyx X100

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 54.10 S - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

> @HappyGilmore22 said:

> I would switch to JPX 919 Tours if you want a more bladed iron with your handicap. Still a bladed iron basically that tour players use (Koepka). I used them the whole year and they were good irons and will give you a touch more forgiveness but still great feel. Your scores will like the 919 Tours compared to MPxx MBs. The only thing I'd really be afraid of is if you already have deep divots with the forged you could have giant beaver pelts moving to something more bladed.

Mizuno tour grinds dig big holes. I much prefer Titleist in this regard. Perfect divots and into and out of the ground very efficiently. If you're super steep Srixon is magic. That said, I don't think the 919T is as forgiving as many on here seem to purport. Same deal with many irons on here though. People like to say the Srixon 745 and 785 (765 was reasonably forgiving in comparison), Apex MB, MP4/5, and 716 CB are extremely forgiving. The reality is you have to be a ballstriker to make good use of them. If you have speed and your miss hits are smallish you'll be fine but otherwise watch out. I don't think there will be a measurable difference in score between the 919T and his combo set.

I'm a mid-handicapper as well and have gone back and forth from blades to cavity backs several times over the years. The main thing that I've found with the blades is that I loved the feedback that I got from them. I felt that they made me a better ball striker from heel to toe (x-y axis). The problem that I've found with the blades is that they are very unforgiving as the strike moved up on the face (z axis). Low strikes were exactly the same as a cavity back (Thin to win!). I found that hitting a ball just slightly fat was punished pretty severely on distance. You stated that you can get pretty steep with your Mizuno JPX900F so that's something to think about. It sounds like you do have a lot of swing speed so that will help with those strikes. Bottom line, play what you like. Don't play what golf manufacturers tell you to play.

> @mtharpRR09 said:

> I'm a mid-handicapper as well and have gone back and forth from blades to cavity backs several times over the years. The main thing that I've found with the blades is that I loved the feedback that I got from them. I felt that they made me a better ball striker from heel to toe (x-y axis). The problem that I've found with the blades is that they are very unforgiving as the strike moved up on the face (z axis). Low strikes were exactly the same as a cavity back (Thin to win!). I found that hitting a ball just slightly fat was punished pretty severely on distance. You stated that you can get pretty steep with your Mizuno JPX900F so that's something to think about. It sounds like you do have a lot of swing speed so that will help with those strikes. Bottom line, play what you like. Don't play what golf manufacturers tell you to play.

Gotta say I disagree with this massively. Thin is punished severely with a proper blade in comparison to a cavity and fat shots don't go anywhere with any club. The difference you are feeling is likely due to sole grind. Many blades, especially older ones, have very sharp leading edges which will dig. A Ping cavity back has massive bounce. In that case you may brush the ground into the ball however you can still chunk a Ping. I actually hit multiple shots with a Ping iBlade vs a Mizuno MP5 on a par 3 earlier this year and the only fat shot I hit was with the Ping. Hit the MP5 much better. Basically, you need a grind that works for your swing and hitting it fat is never going to go well.

I've been playing a set of cobra cb/mb combos for most of the year. Currently at a 9 cap. I picked up an sc200 recently and have noticed just how punishing slightly missing center has been. In testing the z785 I noticed much better ball speed retention on slight misses as opposed to the mb's which dropped significantly more. Needless to say I have the 785's on order now but it is going to be tough to give up the cobras. One thing I will say is that the time I have put in with them has made improved my ball striking big time.

> @Haber said:

> I've been playing a set of cobra cb/mb combos for most of the year. Currently at a 9 cap. I picked up an sc200 recently and have noticed just how punishing slightly missing center has been. In testing the z785 I noticed much better ball speed retention on slight misses as opposed to the mb's which dropped significantly more. Needless to say I have the 785's on order now but it is going to be tough to give up the cobras. One thing I will say is that the time I have put in with them has made improved my ball striking big time.

In fairness the 785 actually feel way better. Also not sure how accurate the SC is. We have one and I’d not base miss hit speeds on results from that. Better to hop on quad or trackman if you can.

Been in your shoes OP. As a thin miss-er myself, I recommend you don't game traditional blades. the vCOG is usually higher and the front to back COG is closer to the face with blades assuming they have thin soles. I gamed a blade set of Miura's and let me tell you.... I hit my PW about 20 feet off the ground with 0 spin numerous times that ran into the next zip code over the green. I still have the same miss typically, but with these 770's the thin miss becomes so much more manageable because the head design has much more % of the weight lower and toward the outsides of the club. Typically it will launch a little lower with just a little less spin. I've only flown a couple greens this year by switching...sometimes I still even hit and stick the green because I'm able to launch the ball still.

Also IMO, the whole mantra of "gaming blades will make you a better ball striker" is way oversold. If you're just starting out driving a manual transmission and want to become a proficient driver... is it best to start in a crappy truck (shovels) learn to do it, then maybe stick with a nice little honda civic for a while (cavity backs) or move right into a 500hp corvette (blades)? Saying you should go from the crap truck right into the sexy vette on the premise the 'vette will make you a better driver is silly. The 'vette is not forgiving, you can easily lock the rear tires if you don't know how to rev match and the clutch is heavy (er). You could find yourself wrapped around a tree if you get too aggressive before you really know what you're doing.

This is coming from a 12hc myself, and I've tried gaming blades on two separate occasions. They look and feel oh so good... but I did not improve my ball striking or my scores to any degree that was statically significant. I've been finding that my scores are much more closely correlated to how well I drive the ball more than anything else.

Improving a Sports move is about getting feedback and responding to it.

It is interesting that we all think we have good body control.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

... On thing I always hated when I taught full time was a student that said MB's helped them become a better ball striker. That is just the product of an undisciplined and lazy mind. BETTR SWINGS help you become a better ball striker and that can be accomplished with a full set of hybrid irons. I am always amazed that players who claim to be decent golfers can't see the difference in ball flight and spin with ANY iron. While the feeling of missing my 588TT's is more muted than missing my Z Forged MB's, it is still there and I can absolutely tell I missed the center of my 588T's and of course I know when I take a less than ideal swing without a MB stinging my hands.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

> @chisag said:

> ... On thing I always hated when I taught full time was a student that said MB's helped them become a better ball striker. That is just the product of an undisciplined and lazy mind. BETTR SWINGS help you become a better ball striker and that can be accomplished with a full set of hybrid irons. I am always amazed that players who claim to be decent golfers can't see the difference in ball flight and spin with ANY iron. While the feeling of missing my 588TT's is more muted than missing my Z Forged MB's, it is still there and I can absolutely tell I missed the center of my 588T's and of course I know when I take a less than ideal swing without a MB stinging my hands.

>

>

Completely agree. The feeling is muted but very clearly there. If you can't tell that you hit it off the toe you shouldn't be gaming blades anyways.

> @chisag said:

> ... On thing I always hated when I taught full time was a student that said MB's helped them become a better ball striker. That is just the product of an undisciplined and lazy mind. BETTR SWINGS help you become a better ball striker and that can be accomplished with a full set of hybrid irons. I am always amazed that players who claim to be decent golfers can't see the difference in ball flight and spin with ANY iron. While the feeling of missing my 588TT's is more muted than missing my Z Forged MB's, it is still there and I can absolutely tell I missed the center of my 588T's and of course I know when I take a less than ideal swing without a MB stinging my hands.

>

>

Well I guess this makes you awesome considering Luke Donald can't. From 2:00 to 3:40 he explains the reason he went back to blades was mostly due to feedback. What's really interesting is that he came from the JPX Tour irons.