PXG 0211 irons - what do you think?

jjfcpa

> @dmgiffen said:

> > @dxdgenert said:

> > > @dmgiffen said:

> > > After hitting the 0211s so well, I went ahead and ordered the 0311X Gen 1 4i. I would've bought the 3i too, but they were out of the chrome finish. My plan is to wait for the Gen 2 price drop and then pick up a chrome 3 iron.

> >

> > Let me now what you think when it gets in. I'm really curious what the gapping looks like.

>

> I've had the 0311X 4i for a couple weeks now. Gapping has not been an issue, maybe 12-15 yards longer than my 0211 5i.

> Ball flight is lower than the 0211. I get a little more feel/feedback from the 0211. The 0311X is more forgiving.

> Hope this helps.

This has been my experience exactly. Only exception is that I haven't found the 0311X to be as low launching as others, but I also installed a lighter weight graphite shaft (KBS TGI) into it instead of the $-Taper I have through the rest of my 0211.

0311X has been great off the tee and easy off the deck. Feels maybe consistently better than the 0211 but could just be that it's slightly more forgiving so slightly easier to get the flush feeling.

• Like 1

> @K13 said:

> > @dmgiffen said:

> > > @dxdgenert said:

> > > > @dmgiffen said:

> > > > After hitting the 0211s so well, I went ahead and ordered the 0311X Gen 1 4i. I would've bought the 3i too, but they were out of the chrome finish. My plan is to wait for the Gen 2 price drop and then pick up a chrome 3 iron.

> > >

> > > Let me now what you think when it gets in. I'm really curious what the gapping looks like.

> >

> > I've had the 0311X 4i for a couple weeks now. Gapping has not been an issue, maybe 12-15 yards longer than my 0211 5i.

> > Ball flight is lower than the 0211. I get a little more feel/feedback from the 0211. The 0311X is more forgiving.

> > Hope this helps.

>

> This has been my experience exactly. Only exception is that I haven't found the 0311X to be as low launching as others, but I also installed a lighter weight graphite shaft (KBS TGI) into it instead of the $-Taper I have through the rest of my 0211.

>

> 0311X has been great off the tee and easy off the deck. Feels maybe consistently better than the 0211 but could just be that it's slightly more forgiving so slightly easier to get the flush feeling.

Aw hell, I’ll be placing an order this morning! Thanks, gang.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

> @dxdgenert said:

> > @K13 said:

> > > @dmgiffen said:

> > > > @dxdgenert said:

> > > > > @dmgiffen said:

> > > > > After hitting the 0211s so well, I went ahead and ordered the 0311X Gen 1 4i. I would've bought the 3i too, but they were out of the chrome finish. My plan is to wait for the Gen 2 price drop and then pick up a chrome 3 iron.

> > > >

> > > > Let me now what you think when it gets in. I'm really curious what the gapping looks like.

> > >

> > > I've had the 0311X 4i for a couple weeks now. Gapping has not been an issue, maybe 12-15 yards longer than my 0211 5i.

> > > Ball flight is lower than the 0211. I get a little more feel/feedback from the 0211. The 0311X is more forgiving.

> > > Hope this helps.

> >

> > This has been my experience exactly. Only exception is that I haven't found the 0311X to be as low launching as others, but I also installed a lighter weight graphite shaft (KBS TGI) into it instead of the $-Taper I have through the rest of my 0211.

> >

> > 0311X has been great off the tee and easy off the deck. Feels maybe consistently better than the 0211 but could just be that it's slightly more forgiving so slightly easier to get the flush feeling.

>

> Aw ****, I’ll be placing an order this morning! Thanks, gang.

Done. Should be here in a week and a half, just in time for a golf resort trip. The fitter on the phone was awesome and had very good things to say about the club, as well. Said the 3 & 4 irons are long and the 2 is insanely so! I don’t expect this 4 iron to fill a gap but supplement my hybrid as a tee club, where my hybrid is more of a rescue club from less than ideal lies.

Hero pricing on the 0211's has been lowered to $125/club.

> @DblEgl said:

> > @dxdgenert said:

> > Hero pricing on the 0211's has been lowered to $125/club.

>

> Not bad. I wonder why they dropped the free Gen 1 driver ???

Not sure. The pricing fluctuates so often, I’m not sure why they do what they do.

I have some mp20 HMB irons on the way, curious to try them against my 0211 set. Any feedback comparing the 2 out there? Seem pretty apples to apples, very similar lofts, both hollow, yada.

• Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

> @jimmyt said:

> Orlandogolfguru, how do you like the 0211 and why did you move towards the MP20 HMB?

There’s no real tech reason. They perform almost identically, I have 0211 with the tour elevates which are a bit heavy for me and ordered hmb with lighter ones. The 0211s feel great, as do the Mizunos. I may keep both, but I’ve always been a Mizuno fan so there’s that ?‍♂️

• Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

> @Orlandogolfguru said:

> I have some mp20 HMB irons on the way, curious to try them against my 0211 set. Any feedback comparing the 2 out there? Seem pretty apples to apples, very similar lofts, both hollow, yada.

I play the 0211 and demoed the HMB into a screen at PGA SS with the same shaft in my gamers ($-Taper).

Found performance to be pretty similar, but think you'll find better forgiveness with the 0211. I think both feel great.

> @K13 said:

> Lead time wise, I made an order last Tuesday and it's ready to ship today. So depending on where you are relative to Phoenix it's one week + 2-4 days

You were exactly correct. Ordered last Monday afternoon and it shipped today. Will be here by Friday (I’m in MN). Thanks for all of advice everyone had on the 0311x driving iron. I think it will compliment the 0211’s quite nicely.

Well, the 0311X 4 iron is great! Did some gapping tests on the Skytrak and this is exactly as advertised. Lower spinning and launching than the 0211 5 iron. The only thing that I had to do was deloft my hybrid .5* to get the correct gapping. Feel was soft and solid, not tinny like my hybrid. I’ll curb my enthusiasm a bit until I get it on the course but it looks promising. Anyone on the fence should probably consider it in the 3 and 4 iron, even over the 0211.

I am sad to say that I am returning my 0211 4-LW irons. I purchased them in August after a fitting session with a PXG fitter and when they arrived, I really wanted to love them. They looked great out of the box. I put them through a pretty thorough workout including a dozen rounds and multiple range sessions. I was hitting my Callaway XR pro's great when I made the switch. I hit the 0211's okay. The 4 and 5 irons were very nice. More forgiving them my Callaways, but very similar distances. The 6-8 irons played half a club shorter for me and were no more forgiving. 9-GW were also half a club short for me and I hit a lot of decent shots but very few that ended up close. I did not like the SW of LW and put my SM-7's back in the bag after only 3 rounds. The thing I liked best about the 0211's was that they were very easy to flight down in windy conditions. What I disliked was that I was hitting fewer greens than previously and my proximity to the hole was generally farther. Also, the longer blade length made shots from the rough more difficult for me. Overall, I think they are a nice set of clubs but they are not the best for me.

• 2 weeks later...

> @JDMRN81 said:

> I was watching Pat Perez interview today after a great round and he said he just changed over to the 0211's. He's 18 under after 3 rounds. Apparently his is the darkness version Bob had made specially for him. Man I'd love if they came out with them in black!

Interesting. I love PP and hadn’t heard this. Not often that a Tour Staffer plays the “low-end” clubs.

> @lc1342 said:

> > @JDMRN81 said:

> > I was watching Pat Perez interview today after a great round and he said he just changed over to the 0211's. He's 18 under after 3 rounds. Apparently his is the darkness version Bob had made specially for him. Man I'd love if they came out with them in black!

>

> I saw this. Pretty wild!

Golf Channel? I’d like to see this, as well.

> @dxdgenert said:

> > @lc1342 said:

> > > @JDMRN81 said:

> > > I was watching Pat Perez interview today after a great round and he said he just changed over to the 0211's. He's 18 under after 3 rounds. Apparently his is the darkness version Bob had made specially for him. Man I'd love if they came out with them in black!

> >

> > I saw this. Pretty wild!

>

> Golf Channel? I’d like to see this, as well.

I'm sorry. I meant I saw he made the change to the 0211's.

> @dxdgenert said:

> > @lc1342 said:

> > > @JDMRN81 said:

> > > I was watching Pat Perez interview today after a great round and he said he just changed over to the 0211's. He's 18 under after 3 rounds. Apparently his is the darkness version Bob had made specially for him. Man I'd love if they came out with them in black!

> >

> > I saw this. Pretty wild!

>

> Golf Channel? I’d like to see this, as well.

He mentioned it in his interview after the third round.

> @golfer20 said:

> Tuesday LV Open #3 has photos of Pat’s bag showing the 0211 irons. I am thinking the 0211s must be good.

Thanks, they look sweet in the darkness finish. They are, absolutely, good!

Update on my PXG experience. My Gen 1 0811x driver shaft broke off at the hosel a few weeks ago. Since it was the Evenflow Blue shaft, I wasn't sure if PXG would warranty it. To my surprise they did warranty it, and are mailing a new shaft and adapter.

That was the good.........now for the bad. After several rounds with my 0211 irons I noticed patterns forming. Certain irons seemed to always come up short no matter how well I hit them. So I took my 0211's to another club fitter to check the length of my irons. The lengths were all over the place. some were 1/4" short from standard, others were 1/2" short, and one club was even 3/4" short. Likely because of the bad lengths, not one of the irons was to the ordered swing-weight. To make matters even worse, the lofts and lies were all over the place too. When I contacted PXG they did say that they would make them right. But the estimated turn around of 2 1/2 weeks just does not work for me. I already waited 2 weeks when I bought the clubs, and I generally play 2 to 3 times a week, so I do not want to be without my clubs for that long. So rather than send my clubs in for 2+ weeks, then get them back with the horrible PXG grips and have to re-grip them again, I just decided to have someone else fix everything so that I can get back on the course.

I was drinking the PXG cool-aid at first, but now I wonder if this is related to the 0211's and the high demand they had early this summer, or if it falls to some of the 0311 lineup too.

> @1Mordrid1 said:

> Update on my PXG experience. My Gen 1 0811x driver shaft broke off at the hosel a few weeks ago. Since it was the Evenflow Blue shaft, I wasn't sure if PXG would warranty it. To my surprise they did warranty it, and are mailing a new shaft and adapter.

>

> That was the good.........now for the bad. After several rounds with my 0211 irons I noticed patterns forming. Certain irons seemed to always come up short no matter how well I hit them. So I took my 0211's to another club fitter to check the length of my irons. The lengths were all over the place. some were 1/4" short from standard, others were 1/2" short, and one club was even 3/4" short. Likely because of the bad lengths, not one of the irons was to the ordered swing-weight. To make matters even worse, the lofts and lies were all over the place too. When I contacted PXG they did say that they would make them right. But the estimated turn around of 2 1/2 weeks just does not work for me. I already waited 2 weeks when I bought the clubs, and I generally play 2 to 3 times a week, so I do not want to be without my clubs for that long. So rather than send my clubs in for 2+ weeks, then get them back with the horrible PXG grips and have to re-grip them again, I just decided to have someone else fix everything so that I can get back on the course.

>

> I was drinking the PXG cool-aid at first, but now I wonder if this is related to the 0211's and the high demand they had early this summer, or if it falls to some of the 0311 lineup too.

>

It is an issue with the 0311's, as well. I had an eerily similar situation with the 0311's I ordered recently. The clubs played ok but something was off. I measured them and found my 6 and 7 iron were the same size, and all my clubs after the 7 iron were shorter than they should have been. None of the clubs were to the specs they were supposed to be built. However, I sent everything back and about 10 days later I received a new set that was exactly to spec. Moreover, they sent me back the original shafts, too, which I thought was a nice touch. But, given how PXG touts its quality, I was frustrated and surprised that it took them two chances to get my clubs right.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

I had similar issues when I first got my 0311’s. Lofts and length off on some. Sent those back and received in about 2 weeks but when I got them back they forgot to soft step the replacements. Took almost another 2 weeks. That being said, no matter what manufacturer you go with, you should always get lies/lofts/lengths checked because I’ve seen this issue with all the other manufacturers.

I wonder if that was the issue with the 0211's that I just returned. I just assumed that the quality would be top notch. Although I hit the 4 and 5 irons well, I found that a lot of what I thought were well hit shots with the shorter irons would come up short. I did not have them checked out to see if the lofts and lengths were on. After about a dozen rounds, I was just not hitting as many quality shots as I was with my old irons so I returned them within the 30 day window.

> @gmies said:

> I wonder if that was the issue with the 0211's that I just returned. I just assumed that the quality would be top notch. Although I hit the 4 and 5 irons well, I found that a lot of what I thought were well hit shots with the shorter irons would come up short. I did not have them checked out to see if the lofts and lengths were on. After about a dozen rounds, I was just not hitting as many quality shots as I was with my old irons so I returned them within the 30 day window.

It might have been, and this seems to be a wide spread problem. Last night, my golf buddy down the street measured his after I told him about my issues, and while his set was more consistent throughout, they were still all about 1/2" under standard length.