Senior Driver; Less Than 240 Yards

platgof

Playing a Fusion 12* driver @ 45", and it has stayed in the bag for quite awhile. I tried an F8 driver, and it wanted to go right on me all the time. If you have found something for shorter hitters and it does the job, please let me know. Big hitters not allowed, beat it flat belly.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

My Ping G400 has been in the bag for 2 seasons. That's a first! Long and forgiving.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Ping g400 max with Distanza shaft is long and very straight for this 67 year old.

Driver Ping G430 SFT Alta quick 45 

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

5 - u wedge Ping G710 Irons Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Calloway 58 easy out sand wedge

Bettenardi studio stock #3 putter

Sounds like your experience with the F8 weren’t good. You should try the F7. I have one and the ball goes a long way. If also has an extra weight port the F8 doesn’t and it really helps keep the ball from going right. I don’t use it in that setting because it makes the ball go way left for me. It also has draw settings with the loft adjustments if you needed that.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

I am leery of buying another Cobra driver. I am guessing the F 9 would be more like it. The Ping Max sounds very interesting. Too bad it is not available in 12*. It will take a special driver to knock the Fusion out of the bag. Has anyone tried the Cleveland Launcher or the new Turbo?

Bag is in overhaul mode

> @platgof said:

> I am leery of buying another Cobra driver. I am guessing the F 9 would be more like it. The Ping Max sounds very interesting. Too bad it is not available in 12*. It will take a special driver to knock the Fusion out of the bag. Has anyone tried the Cleveland Launcher or the new Turbo?

The 400 max 10.5 is adjustable to 11.5 not quite 12 but close.

Driver Ping G430 SFT Alta quick 45 

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

5 - u wedge Ping G710 Irons Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Calloway 58 easy out sand wedge

Bettenardi studio stock #3 putter

> @platgof said:

> Playing a Fusion 12* driver @ 45", and it has stayed in the bag for quite awhile. I tried an F8 driver, and it wanted to go right on me all the time. If you have found something for shorter hitters and it does the job, please let me know. Big hitters not allowed, beat it flat belly.

I have the F8 and I’m not long myself. But I play it with the weight in the heel spot and 9.5 degree and it is pretty straight for me. I had the f7 prior and played that with weight in the front and the 8 to me is longer straighter and easier to hit consistently. Just my 2 cents ,but I’d move the weight around and play with the draw lofts as well

Titleist TS1 10.5 with the Fubuki 45g shaft beats them all for me, and I've played or demoed them all?

Titleist got it right with the weighting in this one. Usually I can't stand ultra lite drivers. But this doesn't feel too lite and I picked up 3 to 5 mph swing speed with it.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

After a year of struggling with the G400, I switched to TaylorMade M6. It is the best driver I’ve had. I never cared for any of them before. But, it is longer and straighter on good hits while being more forgiving on my missed hits. Typically my misses are toe and or low on the face. This one helps Me the best.

Last week I went with my 88 year old father-in-law. You should have seen his smiles when he hit it too.

I played the Tour Edge EXS 10.5 with senior graphite shaft and really enjoyed it. However, I'm currently playing the Callaway Rogue draw at 10.5 with a graphite senior shaft. The Rogue is definitely longer and I have no problem hitting it straight. It is cut down to 44 inches. I'm 71 and 5' 6". I played 18 with it yesterday and missed 4 fairways... none of them by very much. I haven't hit an out of bounds in forever.

You might demo a Ping G400 Max at 10.5* if you get a chance ... this is a higher-spin head, so you might find it provides enough spin to provide good stability/accuracy/height for your shots. I've found this head to be extremely forgiving with good shot heights for me. And if you loft-it-up 1* to play at 11.5*, the face will be a little more closed to help with any right-miss tendencies.

Far be it from me to offer up a suggestion for D replacement recommendations. Should be heading to your LGS to audition the various D's available. Determine what may suitable for your swing and eye. Sort of what I did over the course of the last year or so. Trying different D head and shaft combinations. The conclusion, the one that offered the best all around results was a 10.5* Ping G400 Max with the Alta 55g shaft in regular. No other D offered the combination of acceptable distance, control and feel. A real fairway finder! Not that much longer in distance than the 910 D2 it replaced. The major benefit realized was it just wants to go straight, even when ball contact is something less than center face. As I'm wont to do with some regularity.

Tried A flex shafts during the auditioning process. Realized the best measured distances so equipped, but would experience some bad hooks if I tried to step on it a bit. Shafts below 50g and flexy were a dangerous proposition when I swung aggressively. Been liking it at the standard setting so much, haven't gotten around to "spinning the dial" to see if I can realize any marginal improvements by the exercise.

Been averaging ~ 230 yards with it (this 68 year old senior doesn't hit as far as I once did). More than pleased with that. And reliably in and around the fairway. Driving of the golf ball with a D has become a strength in my otherwise very average golf game. As always, YMMV.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

> @platgof said:

> Playing a Fusion 12* driver @ 45", and it has stayed in the bag for quite awhile. I tried an F8 driver, and it wanted to go right on me all the time. If you have found something for shorter hitters and it does the job, please let me know. Big hitters not allowed, beat it flat belly.

You REALLY need to work with a fitter, but I can tell you my own experience with similar circumstances. Hopefully, the takeaway from my story will be confirmation that drivers are different, AND that old guys can get a better result thru careful fitting.

I had been using a 12* Rapture driver and then a 12* K15, both of which I was fitted to, and neither with the stock shaft. I went for a fitting in 2014 when the G30 came out because I thought the SFT line looked like an "updated" K15. To my surprise, the fit for me was the 10* SFT with the TFC stock shaft set to the big plus (closed face). With that setup, I picked up 10 yards, primarily because of less spin than the previous drivers, AND had better dispersion. So where the best fit had been more loft with a mid launch shaft, the best fit became less loft with a higher launch shaft; all of that caught me by surprise, but I used the G30 for 4 years and loved it.

Fast forward to the beginning of 2017, at which time I did a fitting for the G400 because people were reporting higher swing speeds due to the slightly smaller head. And in fact I did pick up 3 mph, and gained back 8-10 yards that I had lost to age (almost 65 then, 67 now). It was still a 10* SFT head with the stock shaft, but set to the neutral position. I've gotten GREAT results with the G400, exceeding the numbers that the fitting predicted.

So find somebody really good, and let them see if they can get you some good results.

Epic Flash 10.5 fitted for you. Or experiment with different settings. Using the 50+ gram stock shaft. Got mine to 9.5 neutral setting which opens the face, and the weight at toe but works for my push draw.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Echoing at least one "get fit" recommendation, especially where you can get shaft options.

Here's my example if you can bear with a bit of a read:

I don't hit it as far as OP, other than some very rare occasions, usually dry conditions away from the Pacific NW. Just barely around 80mph, shorter backswing, aggressive transition. I really like my G400 SFT 12° to which I was fitted into the Kuro Kage Tini 60 R shaft. The stock Alta 55 CB shaft just did not work for me (tried several shafts in case I had a "bad" one) with two different fittings, the last by a Ping rep. The stock Reg was not firm enough - with my relatively short backswing and aggressive transition. I lost a lot of distance and control with the stock shaft. The Stock S felt much better and results weren't much different than the KK, but that might have been pushing it on an ongoing bases. The Tour Reg was ok and smooth, but the KK gave slightly better numbers at my fitting and importantly felt a bit better.

At least a couple of guys in my league hit the G400, gained yards and play the stock _senior_ shaft. But they have longer and fluid swings. I picked up some G hybrids and fairways in 2018 and 2019 (stock Reg) and like them better than my G25's. So I recently bought a stock G Alta 55 R driver shaft from eBay to try. It never made the course, just a bit of range time. It was a "better" fit than the G400 stock for me. But, it still was a shorter than the KK for me and tended to slice. The only way for me to square it up well was to set it to the highest setting and really feel I was holding off the release. Straight then, but still with less distance than the KK and without the confidence.

I haven't tried any of the G410 series though the different adjustability options sound intriguing mostly as they are too much coin right now and i don't want to be tempted. Might still demo the 410 driver when away this winter.

FWIW.

Try a demo of the XXIO X. Consistent, surprisingly longer than my G400 max. They will send to you for a two week trial for postage cost only. I did and have zero regrets. Gone from 210/220 carry to 220/230+. Feels whippy at first but by the back nine, every tee shot is just a nice pass at the ball. Stiff shaft is just firm. Just as forgiving as the ping.

• Like 2

I have a 9.5* G400 with the stiff flex copper Xtorsion shaft and its a good stick but I don't get any roll out with it. Changed now to an F9 with an Atmos Blue Tour Spec 6S 10.5* and my drives are flatter, fly as far but I get a good 10-15 yard roll out. The difference? The Cobra is probably just a better combination for my swing.

> @stmike said:

> I'm in the same "senior" hitting situation, and tried a couple of different new drivers last year. The one that gave me the most success is the Callaway Epic 10.5. But we all have different swings, and what works for others may not be for you.

I am 70, but still hit it decently. My normal 8 iron carry is about 145 yards as a reference point. I hit is high as well. For the past several season I was playing the original Epic SZ in 9 degree and thought it was a great driver for me despite being low spin. This year, I felt like I was losing distance. I needed my spin. I put the Epic Flash in the bag (not the SZ) in a 10.5 with a Evenflow Blue stiff in it and picked up about 15 yards. I am routinely hitting it on medium run fairways over 250 and what is amazing is how accurate I can hit it. A game changer for me.

There are some choices for the non-conforming driver out there and if you don't play tournament golf this might be considered, and the shaved face process might give you a few more yards. Slower swing speed will have less chance of cracking the shaved face on the driver.

I am going back to see my physical therapist, to get an idea of why my shoulder and arm is sore and routine for exercise to strengthen the core.

I was told the discs in the spinal core ( especially in the neck and the lower back ) had degenerated faster from golfing. A few stretching exercise had relieved some of the symptom of soreness of shoulder/neck and arm.

I would say, if you want your youthful driving distance back ( or part of it ), get your body in shape. I went to the sports PT with emphasis on the spine by referral from my family Doctor and the hand surgeon.

Equipment and therapy will delay the aging process, and eventually , moving up in the tee position will be the last call.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I may try moving the weights around on the F8 for now and retry that. But I am going through your suggestions and the Max seems to be king, with the 410, Flash, and 400 following closely. I own a bunch of drivers and the unicorn has to be out there somewhere. Yea, a better swing would help tons. I mentioned the 240 as a baseline for my swing, that is downhill and hard ground. More like 210 on an average basis. The brick hard ground from no rain, has added at least 20 yards lately, so that throws it off significantly.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Have you tried turning the F8 up in loft, to stop the rights? Turning the loft up will close the clubface at address, providing you hold the club in such a way as to allow it to happen. My F7 sits noticeably closed on the higher lofts and open on the lower lofts. This is how the loft adjustments work, but some drivers have soles that make the club sit square no matter the adjustment. Cobra is supposed to have this but my F7 does indeed show the changed face angle when soled on the ground.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

> @platgof said:

> Thanks to all of you for your responses. I may try moving the weights around on the F8 for now and retry that. But I am going through your suggestions and the Max seems to be king, with the 410, Flash, and 400 following closely. I own a bunch of drivers and the unicorn has to be out there somewhere. Yea, a better swing would help tons. I mentioned the 240 as a baseline for my swing, that is downhill and hard ground. More like 210 on an average basis. The brick hard ground from no rain, has added at least 20 yards lately, so that throws it off significantly.

If you have "a bunch of drivers " already it sounds to me like a great opportunity to find a good fitter in your area bringing along at least some of the contenders for fitting and/or "better swing" options.

I fit your description. I had been playing the Callaway big Bertha alpha for several years and I went for a fitting in August. I ended up with the ping g410 plus (9.0 loft, set to 10.5 degrees with the weight set to fade). For me, that an extremely forgiving setup which gained me 10 to 20 off the tee.

Interestingly, the 410 plus is in this site's best 2019 drivers for 85 to 95 mph swingers (us). The driver fitting cost me $50 and it was worth it - I have fiddled with the loft and weight settings on this driver and it has always been a mistake. This for settings which I would never have thought of trying.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

> @platgof said:

what Shaft and flex are you playing in your Fusion?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2