King-Collins building a course in Eastern Nebraska

Cysmic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

• 7 months later...

I was able to tour Landmand yesterday ....

There will be a new course added to Golf Digest's Top 100 course listing and it will be outside Homer, Nebraska.  This course will immediately be ranked #2 in the state of Nebraska, no offense to the boys in Valentine.  It is hard to describe the scope of the place.  The yardage on the card will be under 7100 from the tips and everything around you is so large and dramatic it will leave you in awe.

As we left the 16 green Rob Collins said "here is the bang bang finish, you could go eagle eagle or double double".  When golfers lay their eyes on the recreation of the Sitwell Park Green for the first time it will challenge their minds ability to reconcile what they are seeing but they will want to set down a small bucket and hit 20 shots into it.

Hopefully mother nature will cooperate and they can get lots of grass in the ground this fall so golfers can see this place sooner than later, but it will be the wait regardless. 

Edited by Stetson

On 9/17/2020 at 6:30 AM, Stetson said:

There will be a new course added to Golf Digest's Top 100 course listing and it will be outside Homer, Nebraska.  This course will immediately be ranked #2 in the state of Nebraska, no offense to the boys in Valentine.  It is hard to describe the scope of the place.  The yardage on the card will be under 7100 from the tips and everything around you is so large and dramatic it will leave you in awe.

As we left the 16 green Rob Collins said "here is the bang bang finish, you could go eagle eagle or double double".  When golfers lay their eyes on the recreation of the Sitwell Park Green for the first time it will challenge their minds ability to reconcile what they are seeing but they will want to set down a small bucket and hit 20 shots into it.

Hopefully mother nature will cooperate and they can get lots of grass in the ground this fall so golfers can see this place sooner than later, but it will be the wait regardless. 

That's exciting. After Landmand opens it'd be fun to do a loop around Nebraska and play Quarrey Oaks, Wildhorse, Bayside, the Pines and Dunes at the Prairie Club, Tatanka, and Landmand. A lot of driving but would be a lot of great golf. 

51 minutes ago, AustinLefty said:

That's exciting. After Landmand opens it'd be fun to do a loop around Nebraska and play Quarrey Oaks, Wildhorse, Bayside, the Pines and Dunes at the Prairie Club, Tatanka, and Landmand. A lot of driving but would be a lot of great golf. 

I have discussed this trip with a group I play with often, although we didn't include Quarry Oaks.  

Leave Omaha and play Awarii Dunes, Wildhorse, Bayside, Prairie, Tatanka and finish at the Crown Jewel (Landmand).  No disrespect in any way to the courses I just mentioned, as I LOVE Wildhorse, but the dichotomy that exist with Sand Hills and everybody else is about to become SH/Landmand and everyone else. 

23 minutes ago, Stetson said:

I have discussed this trip with a group I play with often, although we didn't include Quarry Oaks.  

Leave Omaha and play Awarii Dunes, Wildhorse, Bayside, Prairie, Tatanka and finish at the Crown Jewel (Landmand).  No disrespect in any way to the courses I just mentioned, as I LOVE Wildhorse, but the dichotomy that exist with Sand Hills and everybody else is about to become SH/Landmand and everyone else. 

I've been fortunate to have played all of those courses except Bayside. Have not played Sand Hills yet either which is definitely a bucket list course for me. That Landmand has the potential to be that good is really exciting. I have family in Omaha so will definitely plan a trip to see them around making the drive up to Landmand after it opens.

That would be wise. Just a word of caution I do not think it will be a call 5 days in advance kind of tee time. 

On 9/17/2020 at 6:30 AM, Stetson said:

As someone who lives a little ways east of Sioux City, this really excites me to read.  Having been on site, how would you compare the site to Tatanka?  Having driven past the Landman site on the highway, the land its being built on put me more in mind of Tatanka rather than out at the Prairie Club.  Is that the case?  

12 minutes ago, Cysmic said:

As someone who lives a little ways east of Sioux City, this really excites me to read.  Having been on site, how would you compare the site to Tatanka?  Having driven past the Landman site on the highway, the land its being built on put me more in mind of Tatanka rather than out at the Prairie Club.  Is that the case?  

The course is obviously still under construction so it takes a little imagination to see the end result.  That being said I expect it to have very little in common with Tatanka aside from the general region.  Tatanka is a quality track and has some elevation at play, but Landmand is far more dramatic.  Think more and larger bunkers, larger greens, larger elevation changes, wider fairways, more strategic options off every box and into every green, and the ability to play the ball on the ground.  Landmand wont use distance to protect the course record the way Tatanka does. King and Collins went all out in ways that many will have never seen.  Google "Sitwell Park Green" and you will see the most devilish green imaginable.  Now take that green, make it 5 times larger (nearly 40,000 sq ft in size) and put it on a 317 yard potentially driveable par 4.  But not only is this green going to be incredible in scope and difficulty, but the hole sits on the edge of the plateau and tee shots that miss right will be on a severe grade in native grass (if you find it); while on the left you have a natural fairway bunker and massive greenside bunker.

The bunkers at Landmand wont be like at Sandhills, they wont be acres and acres in size.  It wont be like 18 at SH where you could park 100 semi's in it with ease.  They will be deep, sometimes taller than the golfer, but their native contours will create some very difficult situations.

21 minutes ago, Cysmic said:

Stetson, did they happen to say anything about membership?  I know its going to be a public course but had seen somewhere that they would have a limited number of memberships.  Just curious as to how that was going to work there. 

yes it will be public. They have mentioned limited memberships will be available in interviews. I did ask but King and Collins aren’t involved in that aspect, it will be the owner overseeing it. Typically those memberships never become open for public purchase, they are friends and family.  In this case it will likely be under 100 total

Edited by Stetson

4 minutes ago, tmvander said:

@Stetson is this course still due to open next summer?

I had heard various things, but an interview done by the owner in the recently indicated the goal is summer 2021; I know they will put as much seed in the ground as possible still in 2020, how much is up to mother nature.  Thankfully I am not an expert in the field or owner, thus I do not have to have definitive answers ha

17 hours ago, Stetson said:

I had heard various things, but an interview done by the owner in the recently indicated the goal is summer 2021; I know they will put as much seed in the ground as possible still in 2020, how much is up to mother nature.  Thankfully I am not an expert in the field or owner, thus I do not have to have definitive answers ha

Sweet thanks!  Looking forward to getting there when it's up and running.

On 9/25/2020 at 3:26 PM, Stetson said:

Thanks for the info, hopefully our great fall weather continues so that they can get some good grass established this year yet. 

Looking forward to playing this next year. 

G430 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | TM TP Bandon 1 | Pro V1x

I'm gonna put this right here: With the abundance of great land, affordable land prices relatively speaking, and a destination-golf model that doesn't seem to be slowing down, I think by 2030 the new home for great American golf might be headquartered in Nebraska.

Landman sounds amazing and will be an easy drive for me. Landman seems to be following the model set by Gamble Sands out in Washington state. Thumbs up.

On 9/23/2020 at 6:16 PM, Stetson said:

That would be wise. Just a word of caution I do not think it will be a call 5 days in advance kind of tee time. 

It is in the middle of nowhere Nebraska. I am sure it isn't going to be booked like Bethpage Black lol. You can call Sand Valley or Streamsong and get a tee time a week out - SV is a few hours from multiple big cities (CHI and MIL) Streamsong is situated between Tampa and Orlando. 

Living in Omaha, I am looking forward to the opening of this course.  It looks like about 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive.  Would be a nice day trip.  Hope the rates are reasonable. 

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

3 hours ago, BirdieRoll said:

I'm gonna put this right here: With the abundance of great land, affordable land prices relatively speaking, and a destination-golf model that doesn't seem to be slowing down, I think by 2030 the new home for great American golf might be headquartered in Nebraska.

Landman sounds amazing and will be an easy drive for me. Landman seems to be following the model set by Gamble Sands out in Washington state. Thumbs up.

There will need to be more public options I think.  Sand Hills and Dismal River are way out there and private.  Prairie Club is probably the only other public option worth traveling a great distance for outside of Wild Horse and that is how many hours away from either Landmand or Prairie Club?

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, BirdieRoll said:

Forgot to ask: will it be walkable?

the distance from green to tee is very short. The length won’t be over bearing by any means. The terrain will have elevation to deal with, which may be what limits walking. 

Is this going to be a public course or private? 

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

Just now, crazygolfnut said:

Is this going to be a public course or private? 

Public. $75 for those within 50 miles and $100 for others per an interview by the owner. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2020 at 10:14 AM, mci711 said:

It is in the middle of nowhere Nebraska. I am sure it isn't going to be booked like Bethpage Black lol. You can call Sand Valley or Streamsong and get a tee time a week out - SV is a few hours from multiple big cities (CHI and MIL) Streamsong is situated between Tampa and Orlando. 

You might be surprised. Sweetens Cove is in the middle of no where and only nine holes. Yet it is booked months in advance. 

Also SV is not going to be sub $100/round. Landmand may be rated similarly by GD and Golf mag yet cost 25% if SV.