2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Driver shaft du jour for 2019

wildcatden

Alright, so a 25g lighter shaft works, and I believe the recoil is actually better than Flynn’s shaft. My kid hits it farther now, and controls the club better through out the swing. He reached the green for the first time on 2 separate holes at our local par 3 course on first try.

Despite still being 6 YO, he has moved up to 7’s this season in USKG locals. I took him to play 18 holes over the weekend at 7’s yardages and he shot par. Par 4’s are much easier now with the new shaft. He hits about 140 off the tee and then 30-50 yards wedge shots on to the green. Short par 5’s are still unreachable in 2, but only 10-20 yards short.

I’m gonna chop this one up tonight. Let’s see if it’s any better than the recoil.

1ze7e8hena7q.jpeg

> @Kcct82 said:

> Alright, so a 25g lighter shaft works, and I believe the recoil is actually better than Flynn’s shaft. My kid hits it farther now, and controls the club better through out the swing. He reached the green for the first time on 2 separate holes at our local par 3 course on first try.

> Despite still being 6 YO, he has moved up to 7’s this season in USKG locals. I took him to play 18 holes over the weekend at 7’s yardages and he shot par. Par 4’s are much easier now with the new shaft. He hits about 140 off the tee and then 30-50 yards wedge shots on to the green. Short par 5’s are still unreachable in 2, but only 10-20 yards short.

> I’m gonna chop this one up tonight. Let’s see if it’s any better than the recoil.

> 1ze7e8hena7q.jpeg

>

A GB39 huh, now that's commitment.

Edit to add: You bought it new? I have to admit, I am curious as to what the results will be. What grip is going on? Did you look at other light shafts like the MRC Kai'li?

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

> @wildcatden said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > Alright, so a 25g lighter shaft works, and I believe the recoil is actually better than Flynn’s shaft. My kid hits it farther now, and controls the club better through out the swing. He reached the green for the first time on 2 separate holes at our local par 3 course on first try.

> > Despite still being 6 YO, he has moved up to 7’s this season in USKG locals. I took him to play 18 holes over the weekend at 7’s yardages and he shot par. Par 4’s are much easier now with the new shaft. He hits about 140 off the tee and then 30-50 yards wedge shots on to the green. Short par 5’s are still unreachable in 2, but only 10-20 yards short.

> > I’m gonna chop this one up tonight. Let’s see if it’s any better than the recoil.

> > 1ze7e8hena7q.jpeg

> >

>

>

> A GB39 huh, now that's commitment.

> Edit to add: You bought it new? I have to admit, I am curious as to what the results will be. What grip is going on? Did you look at other light shafts like the MRC Kai'li?

No, I didn’t buy it new. $450 is too expensive for me, and no way will it be worth it to a 6 YO junior golfer. What I did was buy a used epic star (in good condition) and pulled the shaft. I figured I might get some money for the head alone to recoup some of the cost, or I’ll just use it myself if I ever decide to learn to play golf.

Realistically, $31 for a used Recoil in L flex is a steal considering how well it performed. I don’t think the GB will make much of a difference, but I just gotta try it to satisfy my own curiosity lol.

What I know so far is GB39 in L flex is noticeably softer than the Recoil in L flex. The GB feels almost like a junior shaft. I’m gonna put a Winn Jr grip on it to keep the weight down.

Sorry golf is relatively new to me. I haven’t heard of the Kai’Li. So far I have done enough homework to want to try the Accra Fx Srt, Helium and Evenflow Green.

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @wildcatden said:

> > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > Alright, so a 25g lighter shaft works, and I believe the recoil is actually better than Flynn’s shaft. My kid hits it farther now, and controls the club better through out the swing. He reached the green for the first time on 2 separate holes at our local par 3 course on first try.

> > > Despite still being 6 YO, he has moved up to 7’s this season in USKG locals. I took him to play 18 holes over the weekend at 7’s yardages and he shot par. Par 4’s are much easier now with the new shaft. He hits about 140 off the tee and then 30-50 yards wedge shots on to the green. Short par 5’s are still unreachable in 2, but only 10-20 yards short.

> > > I’m gonna chop this one up tonight. Let’s see if it’s any better than the recoil.

> > > 1ze7e8hena7q.jpeg

> > >

> >

> >

> > A GB39 huh, now that's commitment.

> > Edit to add: You bought it new? I have to admit, I am curious as to what the results will be. What grip is going on? Did you look at other light shafts like the MRC Kai'li?

>

> No, I didn’t buy it new. $450 is too expensive for me, and no way will it be worth it to a 6 YO junior golfer. What I did was buy a used epic star (in good condition) and pulled the shaft. I figured I might get some money for the head alone to recoup some of the cost, or I’ll just use it myself if I ever decide to learn to play golf.

>

> Realistically, $31 for a used Recoil in L flex is a steal considering how well it performed. I don’t think the GB will make much of a difference, but I just gotta try it to satisfy my own curiosity lol.

>

> What I know so far is GB39 in L flex is noticeably softer than the Recoil in L flex. The GB feels almost like a junior shaft. I’m gonna put a Winn Jr grip on it to keep the weight down.

>

> Sorry golf is relatively new to me. I haven’t heard of the Kai’Li. So far I have done enough homework to want to try the Accra Fx Srt, Helium and Evenflow Green.

Grand Bassara 39 for a 6yo, can I be your son please?

• Like 1

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @wildcatden said:

> > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > Alright, so a 25g lighter shaft works, and I believe the recoil is actually better than Flynn’s shaft. My kid hits it farther now, and controls the club better through out the swing. He reached the green for the first time on 2 separate holes at our local par 3 course on first try.

> > > Despite still being 6 YO, he has moved up to 7’s this season in USKG locals. I took him to play 18 holes over the weekend at 7’s yardages and he shot par. Par 4’s are much easier now with the new shaft. He hits about 140 off the tee and then 30-50 yards wedge shots on to the green. Short par 5’s are still unreachable in 2, but only 10-20 yards short.

> > > I’m gonna chop this one up tonight. Let’s see if it’s any better than the recoil.

> > > 1ze7e8hena7q.jpeg

> > >

> >

> >

> > A GB39 huh, now that's commitment.

> > Edit to add: You bought it new? I have to admit, I am curious as to what the results will be. What grip is going on? Did you look at other light shafts like the MRC Kai'li?

>

> No, I didn’t buy it new. $450 is too expensive for me, and no way will it be worth it to a 6 YO junior golfer. What I did was buy a used epic star (in good condition) and pulled the shaft. I figured I might get some money for the head alone to recoup some of the cost, or I’ll just use it myself if I ever decide to learn to play golf.

>

> Realistically, $31 for a used Recoil in L flex is a steal considering how well it performed. I don’t think the GB will make much of a difference, but I just gotta try it to satisfy my own curiosity lol.

>

> What I know so far is GB39 in L flex is noticeably softer than the Recoil in L flex. The GB feels almost like a junior shaft. I’m gonna put a Winn Jr grip on it to keep the weight down.

>

> Sorry golf is relatively new to me. I haven’t heard of the Kai’Li. So far I have done enough homework to want to try the Accra Fx Srt, Helium and Evenflow Green.

Yes, I doubt you will see much difference. Assuming you have an ES 440 F1 in the Recoil, it weighs 44g uncut. The GB39 in Lite Flex is 43g uncut. The GB29 in R Flex might be better at 35g uncut. I would expect the GB29 in Lite flex to be a noodle. What's your total club weight? You may also want to look at the Cleveland CG Black 2015 Driver with total club weight at 260g. Info here: https://thejuniorgolfer.com/kids-golf-driver/

I'm guessing you picked it up off of eBay as I believe I saw an Epic Star with GB39 shaft last week.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> Anyone tried a Kuro Kage 40? I was able to get one for a really good price and going to try it instead of little man's Project X. The Project X isn't bad per say but I think he can get more out of a lighter shaft.

I've never tried that shaft with my junior, but I have checked out its specs before. Assuming the Kage 40 in black is what you are looking at: https://www.mca-golf.com/products/black-dual-core-tini-sfw

Specs with L-flex are 46g uncut, mid/low kick, 8.0 torque.

> @wildcatden said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > Anyone tried a Kuro Kage 40? I was able to get one for a really good price and going to try it instead of little man's Project X. The Project X isn't bad per say but I think he can get more out of a lighter shaft.

>

>

> I've never tried that shaft with my junior, but I have checked out its specs before. Assuming the Kage 40 in black is what you are looking at: https://www.mca-golf.com/products/black-dual-core-tini-sfw

>

> Specs with L-flex are 46g uncut, mid/low kick, 8.0 torque.

I am assuming that is, for the life of me I couldn't find another Kuro Kage 40...I will report back and let you guys know how it does.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> Anyone tried a Kuro Kage 40? I was able to get one for a really good price and going to try it instead of little man's Project X. The Project X isn't bad per say but I think he can get more out of a lighter shaft.

We have that shaft in her Titleist TS1 good shaft does get the ball up quick and goes pretty high for her. Its worked well enough since July to not mess with it. She does seem to get maximum carry vs her old driver where it would get less carry but more roll. I might try a few others such as the recoil or even the air speeder stock shaft as a comparison but for her its by far the longest carry combo we had.

> @darter79 said:

>

>

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > Anyone tried a Kuro Kage 40? I was able to get one for a really good price and going to try it instead of little man's Project X. The Project X isn't bad per say but I think he can get more out of a lighter shaft.

>

> We have that shaft in her Titleist TS1 good shaft does get the ball up quick and goes pretty high for her. Its worked well enough since July to not mess with it. She does seem to get maximum carry vs her old driver where it would get less carry but more roll. I might try a few others such as the recoil or even the air speeder stock shaft as a comparison but for her its by far the longest carry combo we had.

That gives me hope, his issue is to low a flight path with his drives.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > > @wildcatden said:

> > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > Alright, so a 25g lighter shaft works, and I believe the recoil is actually better than Flynn’s shaft. My kid hits it farther now, and controls the club better through out the swing. He reached the green for the first time on 2 separate holes at our local par 3 course on first try.

> > > > Despite still being 6 YO, he has moved up to 7’s this season in USKG locals. I took him to play 18 holes over the weekend at 7’s yardages and he shot par. Par 4’s are much easier now with the new shaft. He hits about 140 off the tee and then 30-50 yards wedge shots on to the green. Short par 5’s are still unreachable in 2, but only 10-20 yards short.

> > > > I’m gonna chop this one up tonight. Let’s see if it’s any better than the recoil.

> > > > 1ze7e8hena7q.jpeg

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > > A GB39 huh, now that's commitment.

> > > Edit to add: You bought it new? I have to admit, I am curious as to what the results will be. What grip is going on? Did you look at other light shafts like the MRC Kai'li?

> >

> > No, I didn’t buy it new. $450 is too expensive for me, and no way will it be worth it to a 6 YO junior golfer. What I did was buy a used epic star (in good condition) and pulled the shaft. I figured I might get some money for the head alone to recoup some of the cost, or I’ll just use it myself if I ever decide to learn to play golf.

> >

> > Realistically, $31 for a used Recoil in L flex is a steal considering how well it performed. I don’t think the GB will make much of a difference, but I just gotta try it to satisfy my own curiosity lol.

> >

> > What I know so far is GB39 in L flex is noticeably softer than the Recoil in L flex. The GB feels almost like a junior shaft. I’m gonna put a Winn Jr grip on it to keep the weight down.

> >

> > Sorry golf is relatively new to me. I haven’t heard of the Kai’Li. So far I have done enough homework to want to try the Accra Fx Srt, Helium and Evenflow Green.

>

> Grand Bassara 39 for a 6yo, can I be your son please?

The shaft will be less than $200 if I can sell the head to recoup some cost. That’s not as bad as you think, if you consider all the fancy expensive driver heads you guys all got for your kids. Tinkering with this stuff is kinda turning into a hobby for me now lol.

> @wildcatden said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > > @wildcatden said:

> > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > Alright, so a 25g lighter shaft works, and I believe the recoil is actually better than Flynn’s shaft. My kid hits it farther now, and controls the club better through out the swing. He reached the green for the first time on 2 separate holes at our local par 3 course on first try.

> > > > Despite still being 6 YO, he has moved up to 7’s this season in USKG locals. I took him to play 18 holes over the weekend at 7’s yardages and he shot par. Par 4’s are much easier now with the new shaft. He hits about 140 off the tee and then 30-50 yards wedge shots on to the green. Short par 5’s are still unreachable in 2, but only 10-20 yards short.

> > > > I’m gonna chop this one up tonight. Let’s see if it’s any better than the recoil.

> > > > 1ze7e8hena7q.jpeg

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > > A GB39 huh, now that's commitment.

> > > Edit to add: You bought it new? I have to admit, I am curious as to what the results will be. What grip is going on? Did you look at other light shafts like the MRC Kai'li?

> >

> > No, I didn’t buy it new. $450 is too expensive for me, and no way will it be worth it to a 6 YO junior golfer. What I did was buy a used epic star (in good condition) and pulled the shaft. I figured I might get some money for the head alone to recoup some of the cost, or I’ll just use it myself if I ever decide to learn to play golf.

> >

> > Realistically, $31 for a used Recoil in L flex is a steal considering how well it performed. I don’t think the GB will make much of a difference, but I just gotta try it to satisfy my own curiosity lol.

> >

> > What I know so far is GB39 in L flex is noticeably softer than the Recoil in L flex. The GB feels almost like a junior shaft. I’m gonna put a Winn Jr grip on it to keep the weight down.

> >

> > Sorry golf is relatively new to me. I haven’t heard of the Kai’Li. So far I have done enough homework to want to try the Accra Fx Srt, Helium and Evenflow Green.

>

>

> Yes, I doubt you will see much difference. Assuming you have an ES 440 F1 in the Recoil, it weighs 44g uncut. The GB39 in Lite Flex is 43g uncut. The GB29 in R Flex might be better at 35g uncut. I would expect the GB29 in Lite flex to be a noodle. What's your total club weight? You may also want to look at the Cleveland CG Black 2015 Driver with total club weight at 260g. Info here: https://thejuniorgolfer.com/kids-golf-driver/

>

> I'm guessing you picked it up off of eBay as I believe I saw an Epic Star with GB39 shaft last week.

Recoil 440 F1 L Flex at 35” finished club length + cobra adapter + Winn jr grip = 69g

The GB 39 L Flex at 35” finished club length + cobra adapter + Winn jr grip is also 69g

Together with the Cobra Jr F8 head, the whole club weighs 252g. Since there are no savings in weight between the above shafts, let’s see how the difference in tech/material/profile will affect the swing/ball flight. I’m still waiting for the epoxy to dry (24 hours) at the moment. Will most likely report back tomorrow night.

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > @wildcatden said:

> > > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > Alright, so a 25g lighter shaft works, and I believe the recoil is actually better than Flynn’s shaft. My kid hits it farther now, and controls the club better through out the swing. He reached the green for the first time on 2 separate holes at our local par 3 course on first try.

> > > > > Despite still being 6 YO, he has moved up to 7’s this season in USKG locals. I took him to play 18 holes over the weekend at 7’s yardages and he shot par. Par 4’s are much easier now with the new shaft. He hits about 140 off the tee and then 30-50 yards wedge shots on to the green. Short par 5’s are still unreachable in 2, but only 10-20 yards short.

> > > > > I’m gonna chop this one up tonight. Let’s see if it’s any better than the recoil.

> > > > > 1ze7e8hena7q.jpeg

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > A GB39 huh, now that's commitment.

> > > > Edit to add: You bought it new? I have to admit, I am curious as to what the results will be. What grip is going on? Did you look at other light shafts like the MRC Kai'li?

> > >

> > > No, I didn’t buy it new. $450 is too expensive for me, and no way will it be worth it to a 6 YO junior golfer. What I did was buy a used epic star (in good condition) and pulled the shaft. I figured I might get some money for the head alone to recoup some of the cost, or I’ll just use it myself if I ever decide to learn to play golf.

> > >

> > > Realistically, $31 for a used Recoil in L flex is a steal considering how well it performed. I don’t think the GB will make much of a difference, but I just gotta try it to satisfy my own curiosity lol.

> > >

> > > What I know so far is GB39 in L flex is noticeably softer than the Recoil in L flex. The GB feels almost like a junior shaft. I’m gonna put a Winn Jr grip on it to keep the weight down.

> > >

> > > Sorry golf is relatively new to me. I haven’t heard of the Kai’Li. So far I have done enough homework to want to try the Accra Fx Srt, Helium and Evenflow Green.

> >

> > Grand Bassara 39 for a 6yo, can I be your son please?

>

> The shaft will be less than $200 if I can sell the head to recoup some cost. That’s not as bad as you think, if you consider all the fancy expensive driver heads you guys all got for your kids. Tinkering with this stuff is kinda turning into a hobby for me now lol.

$200 for a shaft for a 6 year old....yeah that is a lot. Not judging but yeah that is a huge cost for a 6 year old.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > @wildcatden said:

> > > > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > > Alright, so a 25g lighter shaft works, and I believe the recoil is actually better than Flynn’s shaft. My kid hits it farther now, and controls the club better through out the swing. He reached the green for the first time on 2 separate holes at our local par 3 course on first try.

> > > > > > Despite still being 6 YO, he has moved up to 7’s this season in USKG locals. I took him to play 18 holes over the weekend at 7’s yardages and he shot par. Par 4’s are much easier now with the new shaft. He hits about 140 off the tee and then 30-50 yards wedge shots on to the green. Short par 5’s are still unreachable in 2, but only 10-20 yards short.

> > > > > > I’m gonna chop this one up tonight. Let’s see if it’s any better than the recoil.

> > > > > > 1ze7e8hena7q.jpeg

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > A GB39 huh, now that's commitment.

> > > > > Edit to add: You bought it new? I have to admit, I am curious as to what the results will be. What grip is going on? Did you look at other light shafts like the MRC Kai'li?

> > > >

> > > > No, I didn’t buy it new. $450 is too expensive for me, and no way will it be worth it to a 6 YO junior golfer. What I did was buy a used epic star (in good condition) and pulled the shaft. I figured I might get some money for the head alone to recoup some of the cost, or I’ll just use it myself if I ever decide to learn to play golf.

> > > >

> > > > Realistically, $31 for a used Recoil in L flex is a steal considering how well it performed. I don’t think the GB will make much of a difference, but I just gotta try it to satisfy my own curiosity lol.

> > > >

> > > > What I know so far is GB39 in L flex is noticeably softer than the Recoil in L flex. The GB feels almost like a junior shaft. I’m gonna put a Winn Jr grip on it to keep the weight down.

> > > >

> > > > Sorry golf is relatively new to me. I haven’t heard of the Kai’Li. So far I have done enough homework to want to try the Accra Fx Srt, Helium and Evenflow Green.

> > >

> > > Grand Bassara 39 for a 6yo, can I be your son please?

> >

> > The shaft will be less than $200 if I can sell the head to recoup some cost. That’s not as bad as you think, if you consider all the fancy expensive driver heads you guys all got for your kids. Tinkering with this stuff is kinda turning into a hobby for me now lol.

>

> $200 for a shaft for a 6 year old....yeah that is a lot. Not judging but yeah that is a huge cost for a 6 year old.

yeah for $200 you could buy at least 3 overpriced e-books

> @darter79 said:

> again not judging but you're going down a rabbit hole that you can't get out of if you tinker that much. At 6 should be easy either Ultralight TS3, Flynn, or a very light OEM with a flynn/recoil setup but at 6 I wouldn't overthink it too much. The new TS3 is really good for younger kids.

This. Just being honest bud, you have done more tinkering and club changing and probably spent more money than most of us do for the majority of our Junior's pre-school age golf time (middle school). As darter said the rabbit hole is dangerous. Plus you need to give your kid time to adapt to a set of clubs. Changing to much can be detrimental.

• Like 1

The epoxy has cured and I messed around with both shafts for a while. First, I wanted to see if the GB still felt more flexible than the recoil. Now that the GB has been cut, the difference is minimal. So disregard my previous comment on the flexibility of the GB. It doesn’t feel like a noodle or junior shaft. It is about the same as the recoil.

Next, I held each of them by the grip and did a wrist hinge/unhinge motion very quickly. The GB felt lighter and better. It felt as if the GB has a lighter tip section. I tried to confirm what I felt by checking their balance points. However, they looked almost identical so I couldn’t conclude.

Then I went back to do a blind test (the hinge/unhinge motion) to see if I was just imagining things. But I was able to identify the GB every time with my eyes closed, so there’s gotta be something different.

Next I tried swinging the different shafts with the cobra head on. The GB made the club head feel more “aerodynamic”. Obvious, that can’t be the case because I used the same head on both shafts. I don’t know why but the GB just felt smoother and faster.

Finally, as I was running out of things to try. I mindlessly tapped the shafts on the couch like they were drum sticks (I used to play). The way they were held and the bounce on the cushion caused the shafts to resonate at their natural frequencies. That’s when I noticed a big difference between them. The recoil resonated strongly and sustained forever like a tuning fork. The GB on the other hand was less excited and better dampened (resonant dies off quickly). I’m not an expert, but perhaps that’s the reason why the GB felt better in motion. Let’s see if my kid can sense a difference when he hits balls this afternoon.

• Like 1

So here is what happened this afternoon. My kid took one practice swing with the new shaft and he goes “wow, this is so soft!” I didn’t comment and just told him to hit a few balls. Afterwards I asked if he felt a difference, he said “it’s faster, I can swing fast.” We then switched the shafts back and forth a few times to hit balls, and at the end I asked him which one he liked better. He said he likes the new one better because it felt nice. “How so?” I asked. He replied “this one doesn’t go Bzzzzzzz when I hit the ball.” I nodded and said ok that’s good. Then the next sentence out of his mouth was “how many of these did you buy?” I said one and asked why. He looked at me and said “for my 3 wood daddy.” :D

I really couldn’t believe how close his description was to my own observations. To be honest I really thought everything about the GB was marketing BS. I guess there is something nice about the GB after all. Distance wise it was the same as the recoil and I’ll have to wait a while before commenting on the dispersion characteristics.

uhmbddtxnnmu.jpeg

> @Kcct82 said:

> So here is what happened this afternoon. My kid took one practice swing with the new shaft and he goes “wow, this is so soft!” I didn’t comment and just told him to hit a few balls. Afterwards I asked if he felt a difference, he said “it’s faster, I can swing fast.” We then switched the shafts back and forth a few times to hit balls, and at the end I asked him which one he liked better. He said he likes the new one better because it felt nice. “How so?” I asked. He replied “this one doesn’t go Bzzzzzzz when I hit the ball.” I nodded and said ok that’s good. Then the next sentence out of his mouth was “how many of these did you buy?” I said one and asked why. He looked at me and said “for my 3 wood daddy.” :D

>

> I really couldn’t believe how close his description was to my own observations. To be honest I really thought everything about the GB was marketing BS. I guess there is something nice about the GB after all. Distance wise it was the same as the recoil and I’ll have to wait a while before commenting on the dispersion characteristics.

>

>

>

Thanks for the results. The resonation factor is interesting.

I might take a look at the Bassara P-33 L-Flex series for my junior. He is in need of new shafts for the fairways. Whatever gets decided, it will probably going to be a Santa purchase.

http://www.mrc-golf.com/sites/default/files/spec-pdf/MRC%20BASSARA%20P_SPEC%20SHEET.pdf

> @wildcatden said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > So here is what happened this afternoon. My kid took one practice swing with the new shaft and he goes “wow, this is so soft!” I didn’t comment and just told him to hit a few balls. Afterwards I asked if he felt a difference, he said “it’s faster, I can swing fast.” We then switched the shafts back and forth a few times to hit balls, and at the end I asked him which one he liked better. He said he likes the new one better because it felt nice. “How so?” I asked. He replied “this one doesn’t go Bzzzzzzz when I hit the ball.” I nodded and said ok that’s good. Then the next sentence out of his mouth was “how many of these did you buy?” I said one and asked why. He looked at me and said “for my 3 wood daddy.” :D

> >

> > I really couldn’t believe how close his description was to my own observations. To be honest I really thought everything about the GB was marketing BS. I guess there is something nice about the GB after all. Distance wise it was the same as the recoil and I’ll have to wait a while before commenting on the dispersion characteristics.

> >

> >

> >

>

> Thanks for the results. The resonation factor is interesting.

>

> I might take a look at the Bassara P-33 L-Flex series for my junior. He is in need of new shafts for the fairways. Whatever gets decided, it will probably going to be a Santa purchase.

> http://www.mrc-golf.com/sites/default/files/spec-pdf/MRC%20BASSARA%20P_SPEC%20SHEET.pdf

>

>

I hate how every single shaft looks good on paper! High launch, low mid kick, lightweight, and then sprinkle in some marketing BS to make you really wanna try it. LOL

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @wildcatden said:

> > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > So here is what happened this afternoon. My kid took one practice swing with the new shaft and he goes “wow, this is so soft!” I didn’t comment and just told him to hit a few balls. Afterwards I asked if he felt a difference, he said “it’s faster, I can swing fast.” We then switched the shafts back and forth a few times to hit balls, and at the end I asked him which one he liked better. He said he likes the new one better because it felt nice. “How so?” I asked. He replied “this one doesn’t go Bzzzzzzz when I hit the ball.” I nodded and said ok that’s good. Then the next sentence out of his mouth was “how many of these did you buy?” I said one and asked why. He looked at me and said “for my 3 wood daddy.” :D

> > >

> > > I really couldn’t believe how close his description was to my own observations. To be honest I really thought everything about the GB was marketing BS. I guess there is something nice about the GB after all. Distance wise it was the same as the recoil and I’ll have to wait a while before commenting on the dispersion characteristics.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Thanks for the results. The resonation factor is interesting.

> >

> > I might take a look at the Bassara P-33 L-Flex series for my junior. He is in need of new shafts for the fairways. Whatever gets decided, it will probably going to be a Santa purchase.

> > http://www.mrc-golf.com/sites/default/files/spec-pdf/MRC%20BASSARA%20P_SPEC%20SHEET.pdf

> >

> >

>

> I hate how every single shaft looks good on paper! High launch, low mid kick, lightweight, and then sprinkle in some marketing BS to make you really wanna try it. LOL

Just like marketing materials for putters...."the roll is pure and the feel is good".

> @Kcct82 said:

> So here is what happened this afternoon. My kid took one practice swing with the new shaft and he goes “wow, this is so soft!” I didn’t comment and just told him to hit a few balls. Afterwards I asked if he felt a difference, he said “it’s faster, I can swing fast.” We then switched the shafts back and forth a few times to hit balls, and at the end I asked him which one he liked better. He said he likes the new one better because it felt nice. “How so?” I asked. He replied “this one doesn’t go Bzzzzzzz when I hit the ball.” I nodded and said ok that’s good. Then the next sentence out of his mouth was “how many of these did you buy?” I said one and asked why. He looked at me and said “for my 3 wood daddy.” :D

>

> I really couldn’t believe how close his description was to my own observations. To be honest I really thought everything about the GB was marketing BS. I guess there is something nice about the GB after all. Distance wise it was the same as the recoil and I’ll have to wait a while before commenting on the dispersion characteristics.

>

> uhmbddtxnnmu.jpeg

>

did you do any swing speed comparisons? You said it was going the same distance if that's the case its probably not going any faster but would be curious to see if there was any gain in speeds or if it just felt faster

> @darter79 said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > So here is what happened this afternoon. My kid took one practice swing with the new shaft and he goes “wow, this is so soft!” I didn’t comment and just told him to hit a few balls. Afterwards I asked if he felt a difference, he said “it’s faster, I can swing fast.” We then switched the shafts back and forth a few times to hit balls, and at the end I asked him which one he liked better. He said he likes the new one better because it felt nice. “How so?” I asked. He replied “this one doesn’t go Bzzzzzzz when I hit the ball.” I nodded and said ok that’s good. Then the next sentence out of his mouth was “how many of these did you buy?” I said one and asked why. He looked at me and said “for my 3 wood daddy.” :D

> >

> > I really couldn’t believe how close his description was to my own observations. To be honest I really thought everything about the GB was marketing BS. I guess there is something nice about the GB after all. Distance wise it was the same as the recoil and I’ll have to wait a while before commenting on the dispersion characteristics.

> >

> > uhmbddtxnnmu.jpeg

> >

>

> did you do any swing speed comparisons? You said it was going the same distance if that's the case its probably not going any faster but would be curious to see if there was any gain in speeds or if it just felt faster

No, I didn’t have access to a trackman. Keep in mind my kid is only 6, and along with my own observations, i believe the GB just felt “faster” compared to the recoil. To me, the GB feels smooth on the down swing. It follows where you want it to go instead of fighting against the change of direction. Again, the recoil and GB both weigh 69g and with my kid’s 55mph swing speed I doubt there’s a difference in distance between them. Good question though and I’ll look in to it when I get a chance on the trackman.

Bottom line for anyone looking. Just buy the recoil or any other reputable shaft in L flex cheaply off eBay and have fun with it. The recoil only cost me $40 or so for the entire shaft/grip/adapter setup.

I measured 5 cobra stainless steel screws (for securing adjustable weights) and they weigh 7g total. That means the stainless screws are around 1.4g each. The 5 black nylon screws that I got on eBay didn’t even register on the scale together. I guess I just saved another 2+ grams on the driver head. Best dollar fifty I ever spent on eBay LOL.

Here is my completed build on the world’s lightest OEM quality driver for little kids.

4cyc04ta359i.jpeg

gyag5mvok9sn.jpeg

@darter79 @wildcatden

Got the Kuro in last night. It is indeed the new Black Version even though it is silver in color (marketing gives me headaches). First impressions are it feels lighter than his Project X and honestly just feels like a better shaft, I know this is anecdotal but is what it is. Taking it to our club guy Saturday to get it cut and the new adapter installed. Will report back after his practice round Sunday afternoon with his buddy. We won't go with anything beyond this as $50 is about what I am willing to put in right now lol.

> @Kcct82 said:

> I measured 5 cobra stainless steel screws (for securing adjustable weights) and they weigh 7g total. That means the stainless screws are around 1.4g each. The 5 black nylon screws that I got on eBay didn’t even register on the scale together. I guess I just saved another 2+ grams on the driver head. Best dollar fifty I ever spent on eBay LOL.

>

> Here is my completed build on the world’s lightest OEM quality driver for little kids.

> 4cyc04ta359i.jpeg

> gyag5mvok9sn.jpeg

>

>

Did you put a fairway adapter on the driver? (Just noticed the 20 degree on the MyFly)

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > I measured 5 cobra stainless steel screws (for securing adjustable weights) and they weigh 7g total. That means the stainless screws are around 1.4g each. The 5 black nylon screws that I got on eBay didn’t even register on the scale together. I guess I just saved another 2+ grams on the driver head. Best dollar fifty I ever spent on eBay LOL.

> >

> > Here is my completed build on the world’s lightest OEM quality driver for little kids.

> > 4cyc04ta359i.jpeg

> > gyag5mvok9sn.jpeg

> >

> >

>

> Did you put a fairway adapter on the driver? (Just noticed the 20 degree on the MyFly)

Yeah, driver/fairway adapters are the same thing, just different numbers engraved on them. I got a good deal on these so I’m not complaining.

> @Kcct82 said:

> I measured 5 cobra stainless steel screws (for securing adjustable weights) and they weigh 7g total. That means the stainless screws are around 1.4g each. The 5 black nylon screws that I got on eBay didn’t even register on the scale together. I guess I just saved another 2+ grams on the driver head. Best dollar fifty I ever spent on eBay LOL.

>

> Here is my completed build on the world’s lightest OEM quality driver for little kids.

> 4cyc04ta359i.jpeg

>

>

That's definitely a light head. So looks like stock would be:

Head (179g), stock weights (12g +2g) + stock screws (1.4g + 1.4g) = ~196g. Some people add in the weight of the adapter on the end of the shaft (especially when calculating a swingweight) and those are usually around ~6-7g.

If you look at the tech specs from USKG for 2014 at https://www.uskidsgolf.com/sites/uskidsgolf.com/files/USKG-2014-TechnicalSpecs.pdf you can see that they spec their driver clubheads at 187g for the Tour Series 51 and 54. Looks like you got them by a few grams. I've never seen an updated spec sheet from USKG since the release of the TS3 stuff.