2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Wichita Country Clubs

ddechant

i've played both crestview and WCC.

WCC is a great old school track with some serious greens. a couple of them i would call goofy with the speeds they keep them at (i think it's #7 in particular). their clubhouse is very impressive, and i know a few guys there that are real good sticks.

I've only played one side of Crestview (wherever they have the web.com event), and it's a much newer style of course, and there's only a couple holes i would say are poor. they were just purchased by the same company that bought my old club in KC (Brookridge), and i'd be concerned about them closing one of the 18s (or both) to build houses like they're trying to do in KC. If Brian Ward is still their head pro he's a good guy.

WCC is a fair bit more expensive, and if it were my money, i'd probably do Crestview for the two 18s, great practice facility, nice clubhouse, i just think it's a good balance. WCC is probably the better course, but it comes at a significant cost.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

• 2 weeks later...

totally different customer base i think.

Flint Hills is essentially for corporate entertaining if you ask me. some cool holes, some dumb ones, impressive facilities, well conditioned, and i think caddies required.

for golf purposes only, i think Flint and WCC are about the same price, and I'd take WCC all day long.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

From Wichita, I would tell you Wichita Country Club in a heartbeat. Amenities are great, layout is great, and they are hardly ever backed up. I've played out there multiple times with members. Sometimes during the week, sometimes during the weekend. Never any traffic out there. It's an old school park course that is kept in great shape. Lots of really good true holes with undulated greens you won't find in many places in the area. WCC at times can feel more like California or the PNW than Kansas.

Flint is exactly what the above poster said. It's the Hooray Ranch of golf. You go for the experience, not the course, although it is in great shape. Nothing about Flint leaves a lasting impression on you if you just go out for the day. Very well maintained and quality course. I couldn't afford a membership at any of these places, but not sure I'd join Flint if I could and that's coming from someone who caddied there for 3 years.

I believe Prairie Dunes just changed their National membership to include Wichita. I believe that significantly impacts the rate. It's all of an hour, especially from the east side, but it's not a bad drive. It as good of a course as I have ever played, but that's a long way to go for a round of golf. You basically sacrifice an entire day to get out there, play, hang out for a little, and drive home.

I'd also recommend Sand Creek not for the membership, but as a great course to get out and go play every now and then.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I appreciate the info posted above.

I recently moved to Wichita and am looking to join a club. Time is a fairly big factor as I could probably play 18 only a few times per month, but would like to squeeze in more 9 hole rounds.

Wichita Country Club seems to have great course conditions. The clubhouse is nice, I’ve been to a few events there, but haven’t played the course.

Does anyone have info on Reflection Ridge? I live a few minutes from there and it would be really convenient.

I appreciate the info posted above.

I recently moved to Wichita and am looking to join a club. Time is a fairly big factor as I could probably play 18 only a few times per month, but would like to squeeze in more 9 hole rounds.

Wichita Country Club seems to have great course conditions. The clubhouse is nice, I’ve been to a few events there, but haven’t played the course.

Does anyone have info on Reflection Ridge? I live a few minutes from there and it would be really convenient.

I lived in Wichita for a couple of years (2016-17). I was a member at Terradyne and played most of the other courses in the area, Reflection Ridge being the exception. My understanding, however, was that Reflection Ridge had a lot of good players, so if finding a game is a priority that would be a plus.

If money were no object, Wichita Country Club would be the easy choice. Great track, great conditioning and facilities, and supposedly you can always find a game out there. It is pricey, however. Definitely was out of my range.

I thought strictly from a golf perspective that Flint Hills was wildly overrated. Very cool place. Very average golf course in terms of the layout. I've ben fortunate enough to play a number of top-100 courses and Flint Hills never should have been on any top-100 lists.

I enjoyed Terradyne a lot mainly because we had a great group of guys and regular money game on Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. The men's league on Wednesday nights was also fun and the course was typically in good shape. It also provided plenty of challenges, especially from the tips. That said, where you live, it's probably not the best option.

When I was in Wichita, Crestview was going through some financial issues and a new management company came in and took the club over so I can't really say what kind of investment/choice that might be now. The North Course is really solid; the South Course is pretty average. But the practice facilities are nice and the location is great if you're on the East side.

Willowbend and Tallgrass would be non-starters in my opinion. Neither was very good.

That would leave Rolling Hills and if I had lived on the West side of town that is where I would have played. I only played the course a handful of times but I really liked it. The layout offered more trees and elevation changes than most courses in the area and conditions were good every time I was out there. They were doing a pretty extensive facilities renovation when we were leaving town so I would imagine that's been a nice upgrade. The driving range was really weak and I'm not sure what kind of options there might be out there for a regular game, if either of those are important to you, but if you live that way I would definitely check out Rolling Hills.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I lived in Wichita for 8 years and just moved about 4 months ago and was a member at Terradyne and then left and joined Crestview.  I have played them all around the area and mostly agree with the posts above but here is my take. 

You are on the West side of town and for golf that is not good.  Personally I think RR is not good.  Layout is poor odd holes with too many houses IMO.  Neighnorhood is great just not the golf.  On the west side the only course I would consider joining is Rolling Hills.  The other option is you drive to Hutch and join Prairie Dunes. 

Terradyne and Flint are way too far away from where you live but agree with the statements above that Terradyne has a really fun group of members that are very welcoming.  Flint is a bring your own game kind of place. 

Personally coming from the West side I would join Wichita Country Club or Crestview because you have easier access.  Come straight down Kellogg and head over to WCC on Rock or join CCC and come down 96 and go that way. 

I personally like Flint Hills the best for golf because I love the course and the experience is the best.  However YOU are only the only member, kids are not allowed and your wife is your guest not also a member.  Thus it was never an option for me and I lived in Andover.   

• 5 weeks later...

Reflection Ridge is an interesting course but it has a lot of houses.

Crestview is a good option since they have two courses which would provide some variety.

Wichita Country is good for a classic park course layout and has a nice clubhouse.

Willowbend and Tallgrass are also good options to look at as well especially since carts are included with their memberships. 

A friend of mine goes to Wichita quite a bit visiting family, WCC have a national membership? I know about PD and told him to just join there as a national as it is miles better than anything else in the state. However, driving time is a factor apparently although I would have liked to drop in each year and play PD with him.😀