Scotland Golf Trip 101 (The Compass Guide)

> @eacsgolferdad said:

> I’m going to be in Edinburgh on business the week of October 7. I’ll be done with my work commitments on Thursday and I’m debating staying the weekend. I have a few questions I’m hoping some can provide answers.

>

> 1. It seems the bus or train would be an option from Edinburgh to St. Andrews. Any opinions on which is easier and will having my golf travel bag be an issue?

> 2. Any guesses on my chancees of getting out on TOC on Friday or Saturday as a single?

> 3. Other than TOC Hotel any recommendations for a good place to stay as a single.

>

> Thanks for any insight.

I found the bus from Edinburgh Airport to be inexpensive and little hassle. I'd expect it to be the same from the city center. There is a transfer to another bus at Halbeath though. The train will be more expensive, and you'll have to hop on a bus at Dundee for a short ride into St Andrews. Depending on the time you travel, you might have a small issue with your bag if the train is crowded.

I stayed at The Golf Inn, right around the corner from ToC. The rooms are small, and just about right for a single. The Dunevegan would be another option.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @eacsgolferdad said:

> > I’m going to be in Edinburgh on business the week of October 7. I’ll be done with my work commitments on Thursday and I’m debating staying the weekend. I have a few questions I’m hoping some can provide answers.

> >

> > 1. It seems the bus or train would be an option from Edinburgh to St. Andrews. Any opinions on which is easier and will having my golf travel bag be an issue?

> > 2. Any guesses on my chancees of getting out on TOC on Friday or Saturday as a single?

> > 3. Other than TOC Hotel any recommendations for a good place to stay as a single.

> >

> > Thanks for any insight.

>

> I found the bus from Edinburgh Airport to be inexpensive and little hassle. I'd expect it to be the same from the city center. There is a transfer to another bus at Halbeath though. The train will be more expensive, and you'll have to hop on a bus at Dundee for a short ride into St Andrews. Depending on the time you travel, you might have a small issue with your bag if the train is crowded.

>

> I stayed at The Golf Inn, right around the corner from ToC. The rooms are small, and just about right for a single. The Dunevegan would be another option.

>

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @eacsgolferdad said:

> > I’m going to be in Edinburgh on business the week of October 7. I’ll be done with my work commitments on Thursday and I’m debating staying the weekend. I have a few questions I’m hoping some can provide answers.

> >

> > 1. It seems the bus or train would be an option from Edinburgh to St. Andrews. Any opinions on which is easier and will having my golf travel bag be an issue?

> > 2. Any guesses on my chancees of getting out on TOC on Friday or Saturday as a single?

> > 3. Other than TOC Hotel any recommendations for a good place to stay as a single.

> >

> > Thanks for any insight.

>

> I found the bus from Edinburgh Airport to be inexpensive and little hassle. I'd expect it to be the same from the city center. There is a transfer to another bus at Halbeath though. The train will be more expensive, and you'll have to hop on a bus at Dundee for a short ride into St Andrews. Depending on the time you travel, you might have a small issue with your bag if the train is crowded.

>

> I stayed at The Golf Inn, right around the corner from ToC. The rooms are small, and just about right for a single. The Dunevegan would be another option.

>

Thanks for the info. Do you recall the name of the bus line? I found Scotrail without any trouble but haven’t found a bus line.

> @eacsgolferdad said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @eacsgolferdad said:

> > > I’m going to be in Edinburgh on business the week of October 7. I’ll be done with my work commitments on Thursday and I’m debating staying the weekend. I have a few questions I’m hoping some can provide answers.

> > >

> > > 1. It seems the bus or train would be an option from Edinburgh to St. Andrews. Any opinions on which is easier and will having my golf travel bag be an issue?

> > > 2. Any guesses on my chancees of getting out on TOC on Friday or Saturday as a single?

> > > 3. Other than TOC Hotel any recommendations for a good place to stay as a single.

> > >

> > > Thanks for any insight.

> >

> > I found the bus from Edinburgh Airport to be inexpensive and little hassle. I'd expect it to be the same from the city center. There is a transfer to another bus at Halbeath though. The train will be more expensive, and you'll have to hop on a bus at Dundee for a short ride into St Andrews. Depending on the time you travel, you might have a small issue with your bag if the train is crowded.

> >

> > I stayed at The Golf Inn, right around the corner from ToC. The rooms are small, and just about right for a single. The Dunevegan would be another option.

> >

>

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @eacsgolferdad said:

> > > I’m going to be in Edinburgh on business the week of October 7. I’ll be done with my work commitments on Thursday and I’m debating staying the weekend. I have a few questions I’m hoping some can provide answers.

> > >

> > > 1. It seems the bus or train would be an option from Edinburgh to St. Andrews. Any opinions on which is easier and will having my golf travel bag be an issue?

> > > 2. Any guesses on my chancees of getting out on TOC on Friday or Saturday as a single?

> > > 3. Other than TOC Hotel any recommendations for a good place to stay as a single.

> > >

> > > Thanks for any insight.

> >

> > I found the bus from Edinburgh Airport to be inexpensive and little hassle. I'd expect it to be the same from the city center. There is a transfer to another bus at Halbeath though. The train will be more expensive, and you'll have to hop on a bus at Dundee for a short ride into St Andrews. Depending on the time you travel, you might have a small issue with your bag if the train is crowded.

> >

> > I stayed at The Golf Inn, right around the corner from ToC. The rooms are small, and just about right for a single. The Dunevegan would be another option.

> >

>

> Thanks for the info. Do you recall the name of the bus line? I found Scotrail without any trouble but haven’t found a bus line.

Full details of the route and times of the buses is at the link below.

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/routes/east-scotland/x61/edinburgh-dundee-or-st-andrews/xhax061.o

• Like 1

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

> @eacsgolferdad said:

> I’m going to be in Edinburgh on business the week of October 7. I’ll be done with my work commitments on Thursday and I’m debating staying the weekend. I have a few questions I’m hoping some can provide answers.

>

> 1. It seems the bus or train would be an option from Edinburgh to St. Andrews. Any opinions on which is easier and will having my golf travel bag be an issue?

> 2. Any guesses on my chancees of getting out on TOC on Friday or Saturday as a single?

> 3. Other than TOC Hotel any recommendations for a good place to stay as a single.

>

> Thanks for any insight.

When I've been in St Andrews, I've stayed in a B&B in the Murray Park area. Last time I stayed at the Craigmore House. There are something close to 20 places in a very small area, and each one will be MUCH less expensive than the Old Course Hotel. The rooms are relatively small, but breakfast was good, and I didn't spend much time in the room. I like an in-town location for proximity to bars and restaurants and just walking in the town's environment. TOC Hotel is going to be more luxurious, more full service, but its a few hundred yards from the edge of town.

• Like 1

Personally I would go the cheaper rate if I stayed in St Andrews.

I did stay one night at the start of September at the Old Course Hotel, no idea what I paid as it was a part of a tournament. They own the Dukes course, great inland course just outside town and I played there for that. Played Jubilee the next day for fun and I think I now prefer it over the New as the first 2 and last 2 holes are better. I loved the hotel and it was very similar to Turnberry quality and single night price looking at it now. If I was treating myself(one off) I would stay there certainly as views, location etc for golf its great, pool was lovely too and not busy. I lucked out with my room too as it was looking at the 17th tee.

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

When our self-catering fell through not long before our trip last year I went to stayinstandrews.com at the recommendation of Allan Ferguson and put our info out there. It was late in the game and it was graduation week in St. Andrews (which is why we'd locked up our original and "firm" reservation within days of finding out the previous October we were "in" for The Old Course). We did get a couple of B&B replies and a couple hotel replies and they looked great, including in the area referenced above, but we were looking for a house and ended up through another site finding a house on the coast in Lower Largo that was really nice. Costs nothing to sign up and you will get replies - just be sure to respond, IMO, even if their offers don't work for you and thank them for the effort. So yes, tons of options for nice lodging. Old Course Hotel would be way down on my list but those that can afford it report first class treatment.

• Like 1

> @TheInfidel said:

> > @eacsgolferdad said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > @eacsgolferdad said:

> > > > I’m going to be in Edinburgh on business the week of October 7. I’ll be done with my work commitments on Thursday and I’m debating staying the weekend. I have a few questions I’m hoping some can provide answers.

> > > >

> > > > 1. It seems the bus or train would be an option from Edinburgh to St. Andrews. Any opinions on which is easier and will having my golf travel bag be an issue?

> > > > 2. Any guesses on my chancees of getting out on TOC on Friday or Saturday as a single?

> > > > 3. Other than TOC Hotel any recommendations for a good place to stay as a single.

> > > >

> > > > Thanks for any insight.

> > >

> > > I found the bus from Edinburgh Airport to be inexpensive and little hassle. I'd expect it to be the same from the city center. There is a transfer to another bus at Halbeath though. The train will be more expensive, and you'll have to hop on a bus at Dundee for a short ride into St Andrews. Depending on the time you travel, you might have a small issue with your bag if the train is crowded.

> > >

> > > I stayed at The Golf Inn, right around the corner from ToC. The rooms are small, and just about right for a single. The Dunevegan would be another option.

> > >

> >

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > @eacsgolferdad said:

> > > > I’m going to be in Edinburgh on business the week of October 7. I’ll be done with my work commitments on Thursday and I’m debating staying the weekend. I have a few questions I’m hoping some can provide answers.

> > > >

> > > > 1. It seems the bus or train would be an option from Edinburgh to St. Andrews. Any opinions on which is easier and will having my golf travel bag be an issue?

> > > > 2. Any guesses on my chancees of getting out on TOC on Friday or Saturday as a single?

> > > > 3. Other than TOC Hotel any recommendations for a good place to stay as a single.

> > > >

> > > > Thanks for any insight.

> > >

> > > I found the bus from Edinburgh Airport to be inexpensive and little hassle. I'd expect it to be the same from the city center. There is a transfer to another bus at Halbeath though. The train will be more expensive, and you'll have to hop on a bus at Dundee for a short ride into St Andrews. Depending on the time you travel, you might have a small issue with your bag if the train is crowded.

> > >

> > > I stayed at The Golf Inn, right around the corner from ToC. The rooms are small, and just about right for a single. The Dunevegan would be another option.

> > >

> >

> > Thanks for the info. Do you recall the name of the bus line? I found Scotrail without any trouble but haven’t found a bus line.

>

> Full details of the route and times of the buses is at the link below.

> https://www.stagecoachbus.com/routes/east-scotland/x61/edinburgh-dundee-or-st-andrews/xhax061.o

>

It's 2 hours by bus, and 1 hour by train to Leuchars. At Leuchars you hop on a bus for St Andrews. They run every 10 minutes, and take ~10 minutes. Worst case it's an hour and 20 minutes.

The bus appears to run once an hour on Saturdays, and the train runs roughly every 30 minutes.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @eacsgolferdad said:

> I wanted to say thanks for the info everyone provided to answer my questions. I booked a stay at the Russell hotel near St. Andrews. Hopefully I’ll luck out and get on TOC. Either way, I’m excited for my visit next week.

Have a great time. Courses are in really nice condition just now and there is some dry crisp weather on the way, but don't forget to wrap up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to thank everyone for their input. I was fortunate to get on the Old Course on Friday by lining up early morning. It was amazing. It was also without a doubt the most difficult conditions I have ever played as the wind was blowing 30-40 mph the entire round. I also played the Jubilee course on Saturday morning, which was also a great course just without the history and fanfare of the Old Course. It was an experience I won’t ever forget and I can’t wait to go back some day.

> @dcmidnight said:

> We decided to stay in St Andrews for all 7 nights for our trip next year. We initially had looked at two or three stops but honestly all the driving seemed like a lot of wasted time that I wasn't going to be golfing. And the more I looked - which I definitely didn't realize - there are so many courses to play in the area that I think we made the right call.

>

>

>

> As CWing mentioned in his comments, we'll be taking a day off in the middle for some touring/rest/other stuff. But with so many courses around (incl two at the Fairmont) we'll have plenty of options if we do want to play.

>

>

>

> Cant wait, deposits just went in yesterday!

My group of 8 had a great trip to St. Andrews this time last year for my 50th birthday. I rented an Airbnb house on The Scores, which is the street that goes straight down to The Old Course. It ended up being about $40 per person per night so a great deaI. I rented a 9 passenger van and we drove to a few courses, but there are plenty of courses to play around St. Andrews it isn't a must. I just have experience driving in Europe as well as the wrong side of the road. if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. i did all of the planning and organizing so I can help you. Here was our intinerary:

Arrive Sat morning into Edinburgh and drove about an hour to St. Andrews and checked into the house, then drove about 25 mins and played Crail Balcomie course.

Sunday slept in and played Kingsbarns at 1:00

Monday drove about 40 mins and played Carnoustie at 10:00

Tuesday drove about 1 hr and 40 mins and played Muirfield at 10:00

Wednesday drove 10 mins and played The Castle Course

Thursday walked down the street and played The Old Course at 11:00

Friday walked down and played the Jubilee Course at 11:00

Saturday flew back home

We are going to Ireland next year, but I am planning to go back in 2022. We will buy the 3 day ticket for about $200, and we will do New, Castle, and Jubilee. We will definitely play Kingsbarns again and The Old Course, then play the Eden course and maybe another round at either New or Castle. Can't wait to go back. it was a great trip.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

• 3 weeks later...

> @davep043 said:

> (Quote)

>

>

> First, congratulations, you'll love St Andrews!. For reasonably priced lodging, I'd suggest the B&Bs in Murray Park or Murray Place, there must be close to 20. I've stayed at Burness House(http://www.burnesshouse.com/) and next door at Craigmore House (http://www.standrewscraigmore.co.uk/standrews/). Both were just fine, I preferred the Burness House. For nearby courses, I liked Elie, Lundin Links, and Panmure, and I know there are a few more good choices. A good resource for the single golfer is www.golfnook.com. My favorite pub in town was NOT the Dunvegan, too many American golfers there, I get that at home. Try the Whey Pat (http://www.wheypat-standrews.co.uk/)

I just looked up the Burness House and if I'm reading right, it's 900 pounds a night? Is it possible that's for the entire house? I can't imagine it's just for one room.

EDIT: Just noticed the comment I was reading was from almost two years ago, so maybe it's changed.

> @philsRHman said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > (Quote)

> >

> >

> > First, congratulations, you'll love St Andrews!. For reasonably priced lodging, I'd suggest the B&Bs in Murray Park or Murray Place, there must be close to 20. I've stayed at Burness House(http://www.burnesshouse.com/) and next door at Craigmore House (http://www.standrewscraigmore.co.uk/standrews/). Both were just fine, I preferred the Burness House. For nearby courses, I liked Elie, Lundin Links, and Panmure, and I know there are a few more good choices. A good resource for the single golfer is www.golfnook.com. My favorite pub in town was NOT the Dunvegan, too many American golfers there, I get that at home. Try the Whey Pat (http://www.wheypat-standrews.co.uk/)

>

> I just looked up the Burness House and if I'm reading right, it's 900 pounds a night? Is it possible that's for the entire house? I can't imagine it's just for one room.

>

> EDIT: Just noticed the comment I was reading was from almost two years ago, so maybe it's changed.

I've looked at it over the last year, and its no longer functioning as a guesthouse, and is now a 6-bedroom self-catering vacation home. I believe it may have been sold since I was there, as the previous owner's names don't show up anywhere in the website. On the other hand, there maybe two dozen other B&Bs and guesthouses in Murray Park and Murray Place.

> @johnsomp said:

> Can anyone provide a recommendation for the names of caddies for the Old Course? I'd like to include specific names on my booking form with the Links Trust. Thanks

Here's a (potentially outdated) article from Dean Knuth:

http://popeofslope.com/scotland/bestcaddie.html

I lucked into having Willie Stewart on my bag on my first visit in 2011, and arranged to have him again for 2 rounds in 2012, and would highly recommend him. He's been there a long time, knows every inch of the course, and was really good at picking up MY game. After 3 or 4 holes, I very seldom asked for a yardage, I just took whatever club he handed me and tried to hit the line he indicated. That said, he wasn't a young man in 2012, so might not still be working.

• 7 months later...

my wife has been transferring earned dollars into pounds back home so yes if you intend to spend it in the future.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

For most golfers travelling to Scotland links golf is the focus. However the parkland and heathland courses shouldn't be overlooked. Blairgowrie GC is one of the finest and so is Gleneagles.

The Kings course is a fantastic parkland track with some heathland features. The Queens course shouldn't be overlooked either.

The centenary course isn't one of my favourites due to a number of factors. It's a US style resort course that gets a rep because of hosting tournaments. It is usually in great condition but wouldn't feature in a top 20 courses for travelling golfers mainly because similar courses can be found in North America.

• Like 1

My dad normally does a 4 day weekend stay at the hotel every year so I used to head down and we would golf on the Sunday. I would choose the course; done PGA two times and its fun and I have played well both times but it doesn't really have personality.

I really enjoy the kings course; thinking course, for me I hit Driver, 3 wood and 2 iron from the tee. greens are normally in really good condition.

If I was visiting Scotland would I play it over a lot of the Links courses, probably not. The hotel is expensive, the food and services are amazing; Sunday lunch and Breakfast in the Strathearn, having a nice walk around, Dads favourite Caesars. it certainly is a great hotel with 3 very good courses.

• Like 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

What is the difference between parkland and heathland? I kinda see parkland consists more trees and hills like typical golf course environment at elsewhere.

Also, as planning Scotland trip, all of my "MUST-PLAY" courses are seaside links such as TOC, Carnoustie and Muirfield. I would like to add different flavors in my trip. So I consider Gleneagles (parkland), Lundin (parkland & heathland), Ladybank (heathland) or Panmure (links-hybrid).

heathland courses are mostly in england ... not sure there's a real "heathland" course in scotland ... from the articles i've read/podcasts i've listened to, heathland has the same soil, essentially, as links courses ... firm, fast & drains very well ... they're just located inland, and the land can be quite "rolling" ... some have heather, which isn't a grass; it's a small shrub, basically, that acts as a hazard, depending on the lie ...

"Heathlands are lowland areas dominated by colorful heather, gorse and bracken. Much like moorland, the soils are acidic and nutrient-poor, but unlike the water-logged moors, heaths have light and sandy soils. ... Lowland heath occurs mainly in north-west Europe, with about 20-percent of the world's total coverage found across the warmer parts of southern England."

So, what makes a heathland course different from a parkland course? A heathland course is a more open, less manicured inland course with gorse and heather and typically less wooded than parkland courses.

heathland courses may have trees around the entire property, but many of the trees located in the interior have been planted ...

• Like 1

Starting to resurrect my cancelled trip from this summer (I would have been in St Andrews next weekend...).

Looking at the possibility of playing Dumbarnie and one or two more near there on my way from St A to N. Berwick.

Opinions on Elie, Leven and Lundin - If you could only play one, which would it be? Also might look into taking the day and playing the Carnoustie courses.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

As a foursome, I plan to rent a minibus/minivan. Assuming I secured tee time at TOC in 2021, my group will stay most of the time near St Andrews area to play at TOC, one of TOC sister courses and Carnoustie.

But I might plan to stay near Edinburgh for few nights to cover Gleneagles and Muirfield/North Berwick.

Does St Andrew Links have enough parking spots for golfers?Is it cheaper and better to get lodging outside of St Andrews? I do not mind walking several blocks to park.