What is it like to play golf in college?

> @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > q3esbxmclix0.jpg

> >

>

> That's a pretty good schedule. Seems like plenty of time left available for stuff other than golf and academics for a student who is organized and efficient.

It's a schedule that will work fresh and soph year because there are tons of gen education classes to take that fit the 8am-12pm timeframe, especially when you have first pick as an athlete. Your junior and senior year, you will run into classes that aren't offered from 8am - 12pm, no question about it and your schedule is going to have to be more flexible.

> @CTgolf said:

> So 28 hours a week just between practice/play/qualifying rounds/team workouts? When is there any time to study or socialize?

>

> Seems like a bad setup for anyone who cares about having a real career.

It's is a bad deal for anyone who just wants a degree and say get a engineering job or something that actually needs you to study.

But if you are not serious into studies and enjoy sales being on the Golf team is a huge advantage to getting a good job especially when it is in sales. One of things a college golf team does golf with the big donor's of that school. So if you have a half decent personality and can golf well it will almost certainly open doors for you.

I learned the donor part from going to camps who had massive donors and I was told this by the coaches. I was also able confirm it by talking to team members that some schools this happens a lot. Good grades and degree's are important but it really only helps open doors for you.

> @heavy_hitter said:

>

> The biggest problem with the Ladies game in the states are the lack of Home Grown Stars. No one cares about the LPGA because no one knows the names playing. Stop giving internationals scholarships and train our own. LPGA would be more popular in the US with more Americans playing. It honestly wouldn't matter if the scores were worse. The LPGA has no personality to attract viewers in the state.

I'm not really sure I'm buying your argument. I agree that the LPGA lacks star power, but let's not get crazy about "Home Grown Stars" fixing the problem. I think the LPGA was doing OK when Annika, Lorena, and Karrie were #1s.

As for "training our own", I think that if a Tigress Woods existed out there in Anytown, USA, she would rise to the top very quickly whether she went to college or not. Talent is talent.

> @wlm said:

> That’s a pretty realistic schedule. I would note that tournaments are not necessarily on the weekends. 3 day events may be on Sunday - Tuesday (or some combination of a partial weekend), which depending on location, could involve 2, 3 or 4 days of missed class.

My daughter's team just drove to Knoxville on a Friday. Played a practice round at UT on Saturday and Sunday. Tournament 18 holes on Monday and 36 holes on Tuesday. Drove to Nashville on Wednesday from Knoxville, played Practice round at Vandy Legends course on Thursday. Played 54 hole tournament 18 holes on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday then drove 6 and a half hour home.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @MooJersey said:

> How come all the college players never say what school they played for? Always just D1,2,3 etc.... Aren't you proud of your program. Honestly wondering?

Relative anonymity, same way you don’t list your real name as your username. And Internet forums can get nasty. Minute someone knows personal info about you, it’s used as a weapon or taunt.

> @JohnnyCashForever said:

>

>

> > @heavy_hitter said:

>

> >

> > The biggest problem with the Ladies game in the states are the lack of Home Grown Stars. No one cares about the LPGA because no one knows the names playing. Stop giving internationals scholarships and train our own. LPGA would be more popular in the US with more Americans playing. It honestly wouldn't matter if the scores were worse. The LPGA has no personality to attract viewers in the state.

>

> I'm not really sure I'm buying your argument. I agree that the LPGA lacks star power, but let's not get crazy about "Home Grown Stars" fixing the problem. I think the LPGA was doing OK when Annika, Lorena, and Karrie were #1s.

>

> As for "training our own", I think that if a Tigress Woods existed out there in Anytown, USA, she would rise to the top very quickly whether she went to college or not. Talent is talent.

>

>

The LPGA has a real problem with not enough diversity most of the players in the last 10 years has been from Korea. While Asian players can put on a good game they are not very exciting to watch. If you watch a LPGA event some of the women on there like Park Sung-hyun looks like a boy. My wife and daughters can't stand watching her she boring and honestly it looks like she is a boy beating a bunch of girls.

LPGA has a real credibility problem pandering to asians everyone knows they do and it hurts American players. They couldn't care less about Lexi or the Korda sisters. They also need to hire a better PR firm and make sure the players look like women and simply dress better it would go a long way. Getting ridiculously low scores from easy course with no rough also doesn't impress anyone either. I am not sure who they are trying to impress. Every one knows the PGA is where the best golfers play .

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> "Asian players are not very exciting to watch"

> "Park Sung-hyun looks like a boy"

> "Make sure the players look like women"

>

> Can you go crawl back in your cave with your club and these comments. Come on now.

>

What planet do you live on? Come don't twist my comments. You must be a liberal wannabe too. Have you even watched and LPGA event?????? It's like 90% Korean on that tour and some them are not very good if you go to an event. Most people follow Lexi or Brooke Henderson or the best american players.

Nothing wrong with having women who play sports look like women. I think tennis is a good example of being successful at it.

Don't believe Park Sung-hyun looks like a boy? Looks at this picture

y5rs7tbngu5s.jpg

She really needs to work on her PR. Some of the Korean Women have learned they need to show emotion and embrace their feminine side but a lot don't have a clue.

@tiger1873

You should be ashamed of yourself. I didn't twist your comments at all, they speak for themselves. It has nothing to do with me being liberal or conservative it is called being a decent human being and not being racist and misogynist, as you are so clearly demonstrating you are. These ladies appearances have zero bearing on their golf games (and their appearances are your opinion) and your belief that they are not exciting to watch is myopic and ridiculous. Also, you saying they are not very good is ridiculous, they are on the LPGA tour, they are obviously extremely talented golfers. Go reexamine some things please.

• Like 1

I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not but a good majority of universities aren’t blessed to have a course of there own on campus and usually most off those free hours are spent driving to the golf course. That’s pretty much what my schedule looked like except we generally speaking because of our schools location had a 20-25 minute commute to practice after class. Which meant get your butt out of class and in your car so you weren’t late.> @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > q3esbxmclix0.jpg

> >

>

> That's a pretty good schedule. Seems like plenty of time left available for stuff other than golf and academics for a student who is organized and efficient.

> @Aaronwilson_95 said:

> I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not but a good majority of universities aren’t blessed to have a course of there own on campus and usually most off those free hours are spent driving to the golf course. That’s pretty much what my schedule looked like except we generally speaking because of our schools location had a 20-25 minute commute to practice after class. Which meant get your butt out of class and in your car so you weren’t late.> @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > q3esbxmclix0.jpg

> > >

> >

> > That's a pretty good schedule. Seems like plenty of time left available for stuff other than golf and academics for a student who is organized and efficient.

>

>

Not being sarcastic - it seems like there is enough free and buffer time to feel busy without being overwhelmed.

My understanding also is that some of the better academic schools prioritize students not missing too many classes and schedule tournaments accordingly.

> @tiger1873 said:

> LPGA has a real credibility problem pandering to asians everyone knows they do and it hurts American players. They couldn't care less about Lexi or the Korda sisters.

I don't understand your point here. What exactly should the LPGA be doing for Lexi and the Korda sisters?

Aren't they being treated fairly already? They're playing on the same course as the other competitors. I assume they receive the same perks as the other professional women golfers at each tournament. Based on TV coverage, I think that the Golf Channel already favors the three over other competitors. For example, Lexi seemed to be on TV an inordinate amount of time yesterday when she made the turn at +3. She was 12 strokes behind the leader at the time. That doesn't look like indifference. It actually looks like they're going out of their way to provide TV coverage for her (and her sponsors). I'm not seeing these 3 as victims of a cruel/indifferent LPGA.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> @tiger1873

>

> You should be ashamed of yourself. I didn't twist your comments at all, they speak for themselves. It has nothing to do with me being liberal or conservative it is called being a decent human being and not being racist and misogynist, as you are so clearly demonstrating you are. These ladies appearances have zero bearing on their golf games (and their appearances are your opinion) and your belief that they are not exciting to watch is myopic and ridiculous. Also, you saying they are not very good is ridiculous, they are on the LPGA tour, they are obviously extremely talented golfers. Go reexamine some things please.

>

>

> > @heavy_hitter said:

>

> >

> > The biggest problem with the Ladies game in the states are the lack of Home Grown Stars. No one cares about the LPGA because no one knows the names playing. Stop giving internationals scholarships and train our own. LPGA would be more popular in the US with more Americans playing. It honestly wouldn't matter if the scores were worse. The LPGA has no personality to attract viewers in the state.

>

> I'm not really sure I'm buying your argument. I agree that the LPGA lacks star power, but let's not get crazy about "Home Grown Stars" fixing the problem. I think the LPGA was doing OK when Annika, Lorena, and Karrie were #1s.

>

> As for "training our own", I think that if a Tigress Woods existed out there in Anytown, USA, she would rise to the top very quickly whether she went to college or not. Talent is talent.

>

>

How talented are LPGA players? Honestly, there are 12 year old boy's that compete and win on the LPGA. Mature them a couple of years and 16-18 year old males would dominate the LPGA tour playing from the same distances they do. It has nothing to do with talent. LPGA has an identity problem because Americans don't want to watch the product with Koreans dominating. The golf could be worse with Americans dominating while the ratings and popularity would be better.

@heavy_hitter

It amazes me that you are defending someone who literally insulted a woman because "they look like a boy" and spent half of his insane post discussing the femininity of these players like that has anything to do with their value as golfers.

On the racist side this sentence is inherently racist: "While Asian players can put on a good game they are not very exciting to watch." That is stereotyping entire groups of players based on a shared common trait, their ethnicity. Literally the definition of racism. Add in things like this, "LPGA has a real credibility problem pandering to asians everyone knows they do and it hurts American players. They couldn't care less about Lexi or the Korda sisters." and it is obvious where his racial sentiments are sitting. It has nothing to do with being oversensitive it is calling out racist ridiculousness when it obvious. Also, it is flat out wrong, Lexi in particular gets a huge amount of coverage.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @JohnnyCashForever said:

> >

> >

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> >

> > >

> > > The biggest problem with the Ladies game in the states are the lack of Home Grown Stars. No one cares about the LPGA because no one knows the names playing. Stop giving internationals scholarships and train our own. LPGA would be more popular in the US with more Americans playing. It honestly wouldn't matter if the scores were worse. The LPGA has no personality to attract viewers in the state.

> >

> > I'm not really sure I'm buying your argument. I agree that the LPGA lacks star power, but let's not get crazy about "Home Grown Stars" fixing the problem. I think the LPGA was doing OK when Annika, Lorena, and Karrie were #1s.

> >

> > As for "training our own", I think that if a Tigress Woods existed out there in Anytown, USA, she would rise to the top very quickly whether she went to college or not. Talent is talent.

> >

> >

>

> How talented are LPGA players? Honestly, there are 12 year old boy's that compete and win on the LPGA. Mature them a couple of years and 16-18 year old males would dominate the LPGA tour playing from the same distances they do. It has nothing to do with talent. LPGA has an identity problem because Americans don't want to watch the product with Koreans dominating. The golf could be worse with Americans dominating while the ratings and popularity would be better.

With that line of thinking, why not just limit the LPGA to bipolar American supermodels? You know, since it has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with looking feminine and showing emotion.

I'm trying very hard to find some reason to believe that this argument by you and tiger1873 is not totally xenophobic. It would help if the tone were a little more pro-American and a little less anti-Asian.

• Like 1

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> @heavy_hitter

> It amazes me that you are defending someone who literally insulted a woman because "they look like a boy" and spent half of his insane post discussing the femininity of these players like that has anything to do with their value as golfers.

>

> On the racist side this sentence is inherently racist: "While Asian players can put on a good game they are not very exciting to watch." That is stereotyping entire groups of players based on a shared common trait, their ethnicity. Literally the definition of racism. Add in things like this, "LPGA has a real credibility problem pandering to asians everyone knows they do and it hurts American players. They couldn't care less about Lexi or the Korda sisters." and it is obvious where his racial sentiments are sitting. It has nothing to do with being oversensitive it is calling out racist ridiculousness when it obvious. Also, it is flat out wrong, Lexi in particular gets a huge amount of coverage.

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @JohnnyCashForever said:

> > >

> > >

> > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > >

> > > >

> > > > The biggest problem with the Ladies game in the states are the lack of Home Grown Stars. No one cares about the LPGA because no one knows the names playing. Stop giving internationals scholarships and train our own. LPGA would be more popular in the US with more Americans playing. It honestly wouldn't matter if the scores were worse. The LPGA has no personality to attract viewers in the state.

> > >

> > > I'm not really sure I'm buying your argument. I agree that the LPGA lacks star power, but let's not get crazy about "Home Grown Stars" fixing the problem. I think the LPGA was doing OK when Annika, Lorena, and Karrie were #1s.

> > >

> > > As for "training our own", I think that if a Tigress Woods existed out there in Anytown, USA, she would rise to the top very quickly whether she went to college or not. Talent is talent.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > How talented are LPGA players? Honestly, there are 12 year old boy's that compete and win on the LPGA. Mature them a couple of years and 16-18 year old males would dominate the LPGA tour playing from the same distances they do. It has nothing to do with talent. LPGA has an identity problem because Americans don't want to watch the product with Koreans dominating. The golf could be worse with Americans dominating while the ratings and popularity would be better.

>

> With that line of thinking, why not just limit the LPGA to bipolar American supermodels? You know, since it has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with looking feminine and showing emotion.

>

> I'm trying very hard to find some reason to believe that this argument by you and tiger1873 is not totally xenophobic. It would help if the tone were a little more pro-American and a little less anti-Asian.

>

>

It amazes me the ignorance of some people. Yeah.... you are ignorant. Did I say anything about Asians? Nope, not one word. I like Michelle Wie, Danielle Kang, Angel Yin, Megan Khang and many other American Asian Female golfers. Did I say I didn't like Koreans? Nope, not one word. I do not like, as well as many others, watching the LPGA because of the Koreans dominating. It is not fun or enticing to watch. Neither did Tiger. You don't know me, what I have done, or where I have been. To make assumptions about someone like you have is cowardly.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> @heavy_hitter

> It amazes me that you are defending someone who literally insulted a woman because "they look like a boy" and spent half of his insane post discussing the femininity of these players like that has anything to do with their value as golfers.

>

> On the racist side this sentence is inherently racist: "While Asian players can put on a good game they are not very exciting to watch." That is stereotyping entire groups of players based on a shared common trait, their ethnicity. Literally the definition of racism. Add in things like this, "LPGA has a real credibility problem pandering to asians everyone knows they do and it hurts American players. They couldn't care less about Lexi or the Korda sisters." and it is obvious where his racial sentiments are sitting. It has nothing to do with being oversensitive it is calling out racist ridiculousness when it obvious. Also, it is flat out wrong, Lexi in particular gets a huge amount of coverage.

I have a really good friend who is American Asian. Played a lot of golf with my daughter. I asked him once why his daughter didn't play more AJGA? He said "Too many Asians playing in it that can't speak English."

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @JohnnyCashForever said:

> > >

> > >

> > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > >

> > > >

> > > > The biggest problem with the Ladies game in the states are the lack of Home Grown Stars. No one cares about the LPGA because no one knows the names playing. Stop giving internationals scholarships and train our own. LPGA would be more popular in the US with more Americans playing. It honestly wouldn't matter if the scores were worse. The LPGA has no personality to attract viewers in the state.

> > >

> > > I'm not really sure I'm buying your argument. I agree that the LPGA lacks star power, but let's not get crazy about "Home Grown Stars" fixing the problem. I think the LPGA was doing OK when Annika, Lorena, and Karrie were #1s.

> > >

> > > As for "training our own", I think that if a Tigress Woods existed out there in Anytown, USA, she would rise to the top very quickly whether she went to college or not. Talent is talent.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > How talented are LPGA players? Honestly, there are 12 year old boy's that compete and win on the LPGA. Mature them a couple of years and 16-18 year old males would dominate the LPGA tour playing from the same distances they do. It has nothing to do with talent. LPGA has an identity problem because Americans don't want to watch the product with Koreans dominating. The golf could be worse with Americans dominating while the ratings and popularity would be better.

>

> With that line of thinking, why not just limit the LPGA to bipolar American supermodels? You know, since it has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with looking feminine and showing emotion.

>

> I'm trying very hard to find some reason to believe that this argument by you and tiger1873 is not totally xenophobic. It would help if the tone were a little more pro-American and a little less anti-Asian.

>

>

I never said that All women need to be supermodels to play in the LPGA. I however do think that any sport that is for Women should look more like women that actually play golf. Plenty of Asian players look just fine. A lot guys are even very attracted to them. Lots of them have bad PR agents get over it. if Sung Hyun Park wore skirts and dress like other women then she might actually generate more interest.

I don't know what world you and Blocton live in but you guys need to grow up. I have to wonder are you guys normal? Maybe your not american and from China or Korea? That would explain how you think anything you don't agree with is racism.

You want to know racism I seen it first hand how asians from other countries treat americans on the golf course with kids. It's sickening to watch those players and parents and they will do anything to win.

Being Asian myself, I see nothing racist about any of the statements by Tiger or HH. Most of what they are posting are opinion though, which is fine I guess. With that said, its really not fair to bash the Asian women for whatever reason just because they dominate the US tour. Whose fault is that? In terms of certain Asian women looking like boys- who the fuck cares? They still look and act a lot more feminine than several of the overweight American women playing on the LPGA tour. Just sayin.