2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Disappointed in Callaway Preowned

GeorgeHWB

I recently bought a "like new" Toulon San Diego putter from Callaway Preowned. What I got was a putter that was thrashed on the sole, heel, and neck. Pics below. The putter is actually in worse shape than the pics show as I don't have good lighting for photos.

This putter still has the original stickers on it so I'm assuming that it was sent to the floor of a big box store and didn't sell and was returned to Callaway. I would guess that Callaway marks unsold equipment as "like new" without inspecting. Very disappointing. This is actually the second time I've been burned by CPO's "like new" description. Several months ago I bought another Toulon that was listed as "like new" and it was more beat up than this one. But I figured it was an honest mistake and just returned the putter and did not complain. But now this looks like a practice of theirs and it needs to stop.

I'm not saying Callaway Preowned is bad, or that you shouldn't buy from them, but this is ridiculous. I'll be returning the putter.

Edit - I want to make it clear that this is no knock on Callaway, Odyssey or Toulon equipment. I bought this San Diego because I love the one I currently have so much I wanted a back up.

3m4yeslub93q.jpg

s0kpd5jzpq43.jpg

ojtsiu3gcjbl.jpg

This is the second time it's happened. I'm certain they have a policy that all equipment returned unsold from a big box store is marked as "like new." That's a problem when the equipment is clearly well used. I'm 100% certain I will get a refund but I'm also 100% certain this is a hassle (for me) that can be avoided by properly describing their gear. This isn't a case of gear being called "excellent" or "very good" and having an honest difference of opinion as to what the actual condition is. "Like new" is a description that doesn't leave a lot of room for interpretation.

Sadly, not surprised at all. I have no idea why, but like new is a true crap shoot with CPO.

I'd say my hit rate is at least 50% in having to return like new stuff because it's anything but. Their lower graded stuff seems to be right on, or even better than expected. Almost ready to give up on like new. I have a club right now headed my way. LOL ,I hope I don't jinx that (supposed to be like new).

But as said above, they will take care of the problem. But like you say, it's a pain regardless and certainly a disappointment.

Yadi for President

I have had to return 2 like new putters in the past for the same type of issues. Recently ordered a 718 AP1 iron set that had a club mixed in that had a different serial # and seemed to have a slightly different length and maybe lie, while another iron in the set had a different ferrule likely from a reshaft. While the condition of each iron was "average" as indicated, I did not expect to receive what amounted to a mix of irons to make a complete set. Disappointing as the price was good and now I have to wait like 3 weeks to get my money back and I'll also probably have to call to insist they refund shipping charges, too. Oh well, I'll stop buying there.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

> @brew4eagle said:

> I have had to return 2 like new putters in the past for the same type of issues. Recently ordered a 718 AP1 iron set that had a club mixed in that had a different serial # and seemed to have a slightly different length and maybe lie, while another iron in the set had a different ferrule likely from a reshaft. While the condition of each iron was "average" as indicated, I did not expect to receive what amounted to a mix of irons to make a complete set. Disappointing as the price was good and now I have to wait like 3 weeks to get my money back and I'll also probably have to call to insist they refund shipping charges, too. Oh well, I'll stop buying there.

You have undoubtedly had very bad luck at CPO. Every time you post about your latest purchase there, I always want to jump in and insist that it's an anomaly. However, I then remember that you've consistently had bad experiences there. I'm sorry to hear it, too, because it really is a tremendous value if you get what you ordered. It's a good reminder that it's not always so rosy for everyone.

It may be worth getting in touch with a trusted rep over there. He/she can check in the exact item before shipping to verify the condition, and he/she will usually go above and beyond to make things right very quickly. It may not fix everything, but that relationship can create some incentive for your rep to ensure you receive what you are expecting.

> @BYK said:

> Sadly, not surprised at all. I have no idea why, but like new is a true crap shoot with CPO.

I'm absolutely certain they consider any unsold equipment returned by a big box store to be "like new" under the theory that it has never been sold to a customer. But I hope they pay attention to complaints and perhaps this thread and actually grade the equipment regardless of no previous sale. Unsold merchandise can still be "used."

> @Badds said:

> > @BYK said:

> > Sadly, not surprised at all. I have no idea why, but like new is a true crap shoot with CPO.

>

> I'm absolutely certain they consider any unsold equipment returned by a big box store to be "like new" under the theory that it has never been sold to a customer. But I hope they pay attention to complaints and perhaps this thread and actually grade the equipment regardless of no previous sale. Unsold merchandise can still be "used."

>

Must be something like that. Can't figure it out otherwise.

Yadi for President

I just got a 'like new' item and it was basically a BRAND NEW custom order a customer made that must have returned it. It had a brand new everything plus a heatshrunk shaft band on it as well with the specs. Crazy deal.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I’ve had two of three experience since with CPO be bad. Last time I ordered a driver and it was “like new and when it arrived the crown had smudges That were unremovable all over the top. Like an alignment stick smudge. The face had ball marks and permanent red marker smudges That mostly came off with gun cleaner but the club was in average condition for sure. Sole was the only thing in nice shape. I called and complained politely and concisely and I got the run around about returning it for a new one.

The rep even called me out saying “that’s probably not the condition of the club when you got it”. I told him I had pictures to prove it and he said “you could have just played it and didn’t like it and now want to return it. Mind you this was the day after I got the club that I called.

He finally said “sorry it wasn’t what you thought it would be” and then said he sent me a link to a return label I could buy for $5. I said “why would I pay $5 to return something I didn’t use and wasn’t what I ordered?” (like new). He gave me the run around scripted “this is our return policy bs and I just asked to speak to a manager very politely and then he put me on hold for 10 sec and said “hello how can I help you?” And it was the same guy lol. He finally caved and gave me a free return label. Bad experience and won’t use them again unless there isn’t some wild wild sale I can’t pass up.

Just got a like new Epic Flash 5 wood. It was in pristine condition. I have a few items over the years that we’re not as advertised - they gladly took them back and paid for the return.

TITLEIST TSR 2 w/PX Evenflow Riptide

Titleist TSR2 16.5 w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR2 21w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR1 5h, 6h 7h w/Kuro Kage Black

Callaway Apex Pro - 7-AW, Recoil Dart 90

Titleist SM9 - 54, 60

Scotty Phantom X5

Titleist ProV1

Vessel Player IV Pro

I’ve bought dozens of clubs and sets from them. Haven’t gone much into the “like new “ category as I’m all.about function over aesthetics. They’ve never let me down although I guess I’d expect like new to be like new.

Average is the caragory to keep an eye on. I’ve had average and I’ve had like new come up. I bought a set of Razr X Forged irons that other than a minute dime size wear spot in the 7-pw they were perfect. I wish I could hit them as clean. Something like 120.00 for 3-pw. I just wish I was good enough to play them.

I had to return a “like new” set of irons. They were refinished. Paint fill in the grooves was not clean, shaft bands were peeling, grips were replaced with lower level generic callaway grips and there were numerous chatter marks on the freshly polished heads. In my opinion, that’s not like new. But if you read the definition of “like new” on their site, it includes refinished or refurbished so the reality is that it was my fault.

I think they should change the definition of like new and create a new category for refinished/refurbished.

> @Badds said:

>

> s0kpd5jzpq43.jpg

>

> ojtsiu3gcjbl.jpg

>

>

I had a similar experience with "like new". I've been on ebay for 20 years and had my first return because of marks in the finish on a "like new" putter from CPO. The marks on your hosel look like the ones I had on the top of the putter. They appear black in the pictures, but it's actually where the finish is missing. Mine was in the dull gray finish, exposing the steel underneath that caused shininess/glare in the sunlight. I know mistakes happen and I am willing to give them another try. I was looking at another "like new" putter from CPO, but after the comments in this thread, it makes me think I should go with "new" or "outlet" condition with them.

Fast 12LS/Classic Custom XL/King LTD
Super LS/Tisi Tec/F6 Baffler/Egg Spoon/CB1
Halo/4DX
X-20/XL2000/EX-1/GC Mid/TFT2003
ISI W2
X-Forged Vintage/Eye2+
WHT 7H

> @Badds said:

> > @jarederco said:

> > Did you call them?

>

> I will Monday. I know they'll take the putter back and refund my money. But I think wrx'ers should know what "like new" means to CPO (for putters at least).

I bought a "like new" putter from them once and it still had the plastic on it (it was new).

Bought some razr x forged irons that were pretty beat up which I expected with the average rating. negotiated to trade for a set of 2013 xforged irons that were also average and they are way better than the razr x’s I originally ordered. Looks like it is hit or miss with CPO but they were willing to help out when I explained the condition.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a putter from Callaway pre-owned, a double-wide stroke lab and it was advertised in like new condition. It arrived today and it was a brand new putter with labels still on it. I ordered it on Thursday the 7th of November, and it arrived today on the 12th. I couldn't ask for better shipping or better condition from a like-new putter purchase.

I have had one experience with cally pre owned...Bought a fairway wood from them in 'as new' condition, and my guess is that the club was new. I just ordered a bunch of stuff from them (toulons and md4 wedges for my son and I) and am expecting as new to be pretty much new condition. I'll report back, my guess is they will make it right if there is a problem. But nobody is perfect...as long as they try to rectify any issues I'm fine with it.

Just took delivery on a like new Toulon Portland, finish was nice and had the 40g plate, but wrong grip and length, got a $45 partial refund, so only $150 in it, great deal, but definitely more of a crap shoot these days

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

> @Warrick said:

> Just took delivery on a like new Toulon Portland, finish was nice and had the 40g plate, but wrong grip and length, got a $45 partial refund, so only $150 in it, great deal, but definitely more of a crap shoot these days

A few posts up I related my very recent story of purchasing a putter and how everything worked out perfectly. As a matter of fact, better than I expected, mainly because my like-new putter was actually brand new. Just the same, I agree with your last sentence that states it is more of a crapshoot nowadays CPO getting the order correct. I ordered a putter from them about a year ago that came totally botched. They sent me a completely different putter than what I ordered. They took it back without any problems but none the less, I couldn't get the putter I wanted because they were out of that particular model.