Hoboken / Jersey City Options

gaffs

Hey All

I'm moving from Brooklyn to JC / Hoboken area this week.

What are my best options for public golf? Whats the best range or practice facility?

Are there any golf crews who may need another player?

I'm moving over from Brooklyn, where options were not great.

Thanks

Rich

WITB 2023

Titleist TSR3 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6x
Callaway Apex UT 17 Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7x
Sim 2 Rescue 19* Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 85X

TaylorMade P770 2017 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 120x
Titleist Vokey SM8 50*,54*,58*
Scoty Cameron Phantom X 9.5
Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

Titleist Linksmaster Club Bag

Hey All

What are my best options for public golf? Whats the best range or practice facility?

Thanks

Rich

not much better in all honesty. hoping you have a car because if you don't, your only options are uber for jersey courses or go right back into the city with mass transit.

closest (decent) driving range is probably bogota golf center in bogota or 21 golf in palisades park(on the short side though and not many bays). then there's the practice facility at galloping hill in union which is a touch farther out. good course too if you can get on during the weekdays...weekends are a crapshoot to get a tee time and expect a long round if you do.

in jc itself is skyway golf course at lincoln park west which is a fun little links style 9 hole course. otherwise, you'll have to trek out to morris, union and essex counties for anything sort of close. don't even bother looking into bergen county.

if you want to go a bit further out, somerset and hunterdon counties have very nice public courses and facilities, better than all listed above...and then there's the crystal springs complex out in sussex county. a little vague i know but there will be more members chiming in with more and probably better details.

there was another thread a while back from someone who recently moved to hoboken(still there i think) but i think i remembered it being more centered around private clubs...too lazy to look it up lol.

Agreed with most of the post above. Hoboken/JC is a really tough area to b a public golfer. I lived in Hoboken for 6 years, moved out a year or 2 after Skyway opened. Skyway is not a bad course but can be slow and charges a premium for 9 holes due to its location - I think it's $40 walking on the weekends.

My thoughts below on other courses within reasonable driving distance:

Home base was Galloping Hill in Union County, mostly out of convenience. They have 18 holes, a 9-hole executive course, driving range and a couple short game greens including a practice bunker. Didn't find anything else like that in the area. As an out-of-county resident you can still buy their players card or whatever, which pays itself off in 4-5 rounds and allows you to book 7 days out instead of 5.

- Pros: Close, usually in pretty good to very good shape, also gave the same price benefit to Ash Brook, which I liked better as a course but is farther and no practice facilities.

- Cons: Didn't love the layout of a few holes, can be tough to weekend book tee times on either course even with 7 day access, rounds can be pretty slow

Pretty much anything else worth playing is going to be 45 min - hour drive.

- Out 78 are a few decent options - Fox Hollow is usually in good shape and a quicker round than most. Beaver Brook is an OK layout/condition but a decent economical option and usually easy to get tee times. High Bridge Hills was on the very edge of how far I'd want to drive for a round but I always really enjoy the course, even if it is about $10-$15 more than I think it's worth.

- Overpeck in Bergen County is OK but you can't book tee times as non-resident and can get PACKED and SLOW

- I belonged to Glenwood for a year which is private but a very affordable no-frills private option if you are under 35 years old. About a 45-50 min drive down NJ TPK, so beach traffic can be a factor. Generally conditioned above what you would expect for a muni, but below most other privates. Tee times never really an issue and pace of play is good. I only included this as an idea because even with the drive being a little longer than most other options I listed, the all-in time for a round ends up being the same or quicker.

- Francis Byrne in West Orange is a cool golden age layout originally by Charles Banks. Essex County has done a pretty good job bringing it back but greens are always slow and weekend times are tough to get for a foursome. Single/walk-on play is manageable though.

- East Orange in Millburn/Short Hills is a short course but has some interesting holes. They did a lot of work there a few years back. First couple holes don't impress but the back-nine is actually pretty good. Conditioning is not always great, though.

- Royce Brook is about an hour away from you but is a privately-owned, upscale public course. Layout is good, conditions usually very good, but can be pricy if playing at prime times.

- Meadows is a very average course with a lot of holes alongside each other. One accurate review of it said "Bring a helmet" - incoming fire from all directions. Can be had pretty cheap though on Groupon or Golf Now and probably about 35 minutes from Hoboken.

Let me know if you have questions on any other courses you see and I'll be happy to give my feedback if I've played them.

I am now in Summit - about 30 minutes west of Hoboken, but would be up for a round once the weather warms up. We have a group of a couple guys who try to get out together a few times a month.

Hey All

Thanks

Rich

There are actually some private clubs that are relatively affordable. Do you have a monthly budget as too what you want to spend on golf, i.e. round, food, drink, etc?

Hey All

Thanks

Rich

There are actually some private clubs that are relatively affordable. Do you have a monthly budget as too what you want to spend on golf, i.e. round, food, drink, etc?

Would be interested in hearing about private clubs in the area, personally looking to spend no more than 5k for the year. I'm also 24 so that should help out. Thanks!

Hey All

Thanks

Rich

Would be interested in hearing about private clubs in the area, personally looking to spend no more than 5k for the year. I'm also 24 so that should help out. Thanks!

Pending how far you are looking to drive, the first place I would consider if I was in your shoes is New Jersey National Golf Club in Basking Ridge. It is a great facility. No initiation or food/beverage minimums, plus you can walk the course any day at any time. That alone will save you at least $200 a month and maybe even closer to 400-500 a month.

I just checked some of my past emails and in 2013, their Executive Membership was $4,075.00, which was for ages 35 and under. They do not have a pool, so if that is something you would like, then cross them off your list.

I have heard good things about Forest Hill Field Club in Bloomfield. I never played the course but visited it once. A great group of members and a beautiful clubhouse. I would look there as well.

I remember Shackamaxon's dues being reasonable. They are in Scotch Plains. I was not a huge fan of the course, but at least check it out.

Check out Metuchen and Suburban as well.

Also, if you want to get a feel for a private club, but not pay as much, look to see if they offer a house or social membership. You do not get to golf as much, but you can use the facilities at any time and you get a feel for the club, without having the high end monthly dues. That is what I currently have and I am enjoying it.

Overall, good luck on your search and if you have any additional questions, do not hesitate to PM me.

Forest Hill Field Club in Bloomfield NJ. Lots of Hobo/JC guys are members there, it is literally right off exit 144 on the parkway. It has a very reasonable initiation fee, especially if you are under 30.

It is a very active club, with a good mix of members, some older, some younger, most in their 40s-50s. And the best part about it, is that it is a Tillinghast that is virtually unchanged. The superintendent is top notch and he always manages to keep the course green and lush. I can not say enough nice things about the place.

If you are serious about joining some place without mortgaging your home, Forest Hill should most definitely be on the top of your list!

• Like 1

I live in Hoboken and am in the same boat. I've bounced around a number of the cheaper clubs in the "area" (stanton ridge and watchung valley), but just don't think I can justify it this year since I'm saving up for my wedding next year. I am thinking about glenwood just because of how affordable it is (1700... lol). Either way feel free to reach out with any questions. My teammate from college golf just moved out of town so also looking for a people in the area to play with.

Thanks for all your great replies guys.

I do drive and have a car, which makes life easier.

Hey All

Thanks

Rich

Im buying a place, so may not have the budget this year. What would you pay at the cheaper end - whatever that may be?

I met a guy on vacation in Florida who played at NJ National. Do you know know it?

EDIT - i just saw you mentioned NJ National in a later post. Im over 35 (just). $4k+ is still a little steep with me buying a place at the moment.

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

Forest Hill Field Club in Bloomfield NJ. Lots of Hobo/JC guys are members there, it is literally right off exit 144 on the parkway. It has a very reasonable initiation fee, especially if you are under 30.

It is a very active club, with a good mix of members, some older, some younger, most in their 40s-50s. And the best part about it, is that it is a Tillinghast that is virtually unchanged. The superintendent is top notch and he always manages to keep the course green and lush. I can not say enough nice things about the place.

If you are serious about joining some place without mortgaging your home, Forest Hill should most definitely be on the top of your list!

Thanks. Im over 30, im afraid. Do you know what they charge? Thanks

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

I live in Hoboken and am in the same boat. I've bounced around a number of the cheaper clubs in the "area" (stanton ridge and watchung valley), but just don't think I can justify it this year since I'm saving up for my wedding next year. I am thinking about glenwood just because of how affordable it is (1700... lol). Either way feel free to reach out with any questions. My teammate from college golf just moved out of town so also looking for a people in the area to play with.

$1700 is not too bad, considering how crazy the prices are at other places. But im not even sure I would want to play the same place each weekend.

Do you and your group tend to place different tracks?

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

Hey All

Thanks

Rich

When i was in Brooklyn, i would probably spend $400 a month in the spring / summer on green fees. I would play Bethpage a couple of times a month, but would also mix it in with dirt tracks like Dyker and Marine. The good thing about those places is the cheap GolfNow deals.

Im guessing anywhere near Hoboken will be at least $3k a year. And im not even sure i want to be tied to one club.

Is there any club networks that allow you on a group of neighboring courses?

Agreed with most of the post above. Hoboken/JC is a really tough area to b a public golfer. I lived in Hoboken for 6 years, moved out a year or 2 after Skyway opened. Skyway is not a bad course but can be slow and charges a premium for 9 holes due to its location - I think it's $40 walking on the weekends.

Home base was Galloping Hill in Union County, mostly out of convenience. They have 18 holes, a 9-hole executive course, driving range and a couple short game greens including a practice bunker. Didn't find anything else like that in the area. As an out-of-county resident you can still buy their players card or whatever, which pays itself off in 4-5 rounds and allows you to book 7 days out instead of 5.

- Pros: Close, usually in pretty good to very good shape, also gave the same price benefit to Ash Brook, which I liked better as a course but is farther and no practice facilities.

- Cons: Didn't love the layout of a few holes, can be tough to weekend book tee times on either course even with 7 day access, rounds can be pretty slow

- Out 78 are a few decent options - Fox Hollow is usually in good shape and a quicker round than most. Beaver Brook is an OK layout/condition but a decent economical option and usually easy to get tee times. High Bridge Hills was on the very edge of how far I'd want to drive for a round but I always really enjoy the course, even if it is about $10-$15 more than I think it's worth.

- Overpeck in Bergen County is OK but you can't book tee times as non-resident and can get PACKED and SLOW

- I belonged to Glenwood for a year which is private but a very affordable no-frills private option if you are under 35 years old. About a 45-50 min drive down NJ TPK, so beach traffic can be a factor. Generally conditioned above what you would expect for a muni, but below most other privates. Tee times never really an issue and pace of play is good. I only included this as an idea because even with the drive being a little longer than most other options I listed, the all-in time for a round ends up being the same or quicker.

- Francis Byrne in West Orange is a cool golden age layout originally by Charles Banks. Essex County has done a pretty good job bringing it back but greens are always slow and weekend times are tough to get for a foursome. Single/walk-on play is manageable though.

- East Orange in Millburn/Short Hills is a short course but has some interesting holes. They did a lot of work there a few years back. First couple holes don't impress but the back-nine is actually pretty good. Conditioning is not always great, though.

- Royce Brook is about an hour away from you but is a privately-owned, upscale public course. Layout is good, conditions usually very good, but can be pricy if playing at prime times.

- Meadows is a very average course with a lot of holes alongside each other. One accurate review of it said "Bring a helmet" - incoming fire from all directions. Can be had pretty cheap though on Groupon or Golf Now and probably about 35 minutes from Hoboken.

Let me know if you have questions on any other courses you see and I'll be happy to give my feedback if I've played them.

I am now in Summit - about 30 minutes west of Hoboken, but would be up for a round once the weather warms up. We have a group of a couple guys who try to get out together a few times a month.

Thanks for all the info. Would love to join your crew.

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

$1700 is not too bad, considering how crazy the prices are at other places. But im not even sure I would want to play the same place each weekend.

Yea, I like to still try and play a few NJ/MGA Am events and maybe a couple invitationals during the year so generally still able to sprinkle in a good few other courses. Having a place to go to last minute and not have to squeeze a tee time or just be able to hang out and practice as long as I want is ideal.

Hey All

Thanks

Rich

When i was in Brooklyn, i would probably spend $400 a month in the spring / summer on green fees. I would play Bethpage a couple of times a month, but would also mix it in with dirt tracks like Dyker and Marine. The good thing about those places is the cheap GolfNow deals.

Im guessing anywhere near Hoboken will be at least $3k a year. And im not even sure i want to be tied to one club.

Is there any club networks that allow you on a group of neighboring courses?

Thanks for all the info. Would love to join your crew.

Maybe try boxgroove.

Glenwood is a rip-off at 1700. I honestly can not believe they are still open. Worst conditioned course in new jersey!!

Forest Hill Field Club is $7.5k a year + a $4k initiation.

I know that is not the most expensive club in NJ, but when you can only really play 8 months a year, im not sure how "normal people" can justify nearly $1k a month for golf.

I love golf and earn a good NYC salary, but i don't think i can justify it. You have to really be paying 10 times a month, and more. And be satisfied that you are going to be playing that same course over and over.

Anyone know if any of the previously mentioned clubs are more reasonable?

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

Forest Hill Field Club is $7.5k a year + a $4k initiation.

I know that is not the most expensive club in NJ, but when you can only really play 8 months a year, im not sure how "normal people" can justify nearly $1k a month for golf.

I love golf and earn a good NYC salary, but i don't think i can justify it. You have to really be paying 10 times a month, and more. And be satisfied that you are going to be playing that same course over and over.

Anyone know if any of the previously mentioned clubs are more reasonable?

Highly recommend Golf Now, You can golf when you want, no additional fees, just pay as you play, and you have access to make tee times at alot of different courses in the area.

I'll chime in here as I grew up in Somerset County and played high school golf in addition to living in Hoboken since early 2012 so am very familiar with the golfing scene. This probably going to end up being my last summer (wife and I are looking for houses right now in the West Orange / Maplewood area), but I have met a few guys on this site for rounds in the past so would be happy to play

East Orange - in Milburn and was recently redone. They sell some cheap beers and the food in the restaurant is actually really good. Course is very very short, especially the front (I'm upset with myself when I do not shoot even par on the front), but course is pretty cheap as far as public options go and the back 9 is actually a lot of fun to play. Some hackers but has been better than say 4-5 years ago before they re-do it. Again, about 30-35 minute drive. Easy to get tee times on golfnow, walking on is diffcult.

Hendricks Field- Belleville, NJ (home of frankie valli and the 4 seasons - another 35-40 minute drive but this has been my go-to the past 7 years. If you play a single and walk on your are only paying 45 bucks prime time and will get out quickly any time on the weekends. Hell even me and the wife get out fairly quickly as you are not able to make tee times in advance without the Essex County card. Have meet some cool people at this course and the course itself is in really good shape generally and has some really cool holes.

Galloping Hill - already been mentioned but a pretty solid public course out in Kenilworth that will take you about 35-40 minutes to get to on the weekend driving out of Hoboken. Can be difficult to get tee times and when it rains forget about it, but nice public course.

Silver Lake - out in Staten Island - true hackers paradise - staten island dudes with jeans, may get killed, but I actually like the course design. Play it every once in a while when I am looking to get drunk and rip some darts with the guys. Easy to get tee times on golfnow and is not a bad drive now that the Bayonne bridge is back open. Can get there real quick on an early weekend morning

Francis Bynre / Weequahic - the other Essex county courses aside from Hendricks - I play these as well and find them easy to get to. Weequahic is tight and short while byrne is longer. Weequahic is in Newark so pretty quick drive and Byrne isn't too much further out in West Orange. I stick with Hendricks as I find it is the easiest to walk out on.

If you don't mind driving a bit further out in Jersey, Somerset county is stacked with options that are nice (about an hour and 10 min drive depending on which course) but the out of country rate for the county courses will be a bit pricey -Spooky Brooks in Somerset, Quail Brook in Franklin, Green knoll in Bridgewater are all decent tracks (Spooky the easiest) that are about equidistant. All well maintained. Warrenbrook in warren is a bit closer from Hoboken but also kind of an annoying course as it is very tight and tree lined. and the nicest and newest of them all 27 holes at Neshanic Valley amazing 3 nines, top 7 public courses in all of Jersey but you are looking at 85 with a cart (no walking rate) for out of county on the weekends non-twilight. Great practice facilities and a real challenge. I play it at least once a month. Other non county tracks include Royce Brook (really nice but expensive) Mattawang (cheaper but challenge course - Jack Nicklaus has the course record), Hillsborough Country Club (try this one out for the challenge, not the nicest condition but really challenging and cool, old track - was our home course back in high school)

My buddy is also a member at Upper Montclair Country Club which is just a quick drive down route 3 and really nice so I play there a bunch (3 nines) - actually just got 2nd in the most recent outing. Lot's of Members in Hoboken so you can probably make buddies and get out there. Guest fees with cart or caddy tip are not cheap though, but the member guests are amazing and well worth the price.

All of these are not bad drives if you have a car. I would stick with Hendricks if you want to decently challenging round, cheap and like to walk.... East Orange is a decent option as well.

Message me if you want to play once this freakin weather finally warms up

• 6 months later...

I created a facebook group = Hudson River Golf Club

Purpose of it is to have golfers set up tee times from Hoboken/Jerseycity/Weehawken areas from different areas and all uber together back and forth.

For example: I live in Hoboken, own a 14 day resident card to Gallopping Hill. Usually get 8amTee times on weekends. I will book a 4 some, and whoeever wants to come, we can all share an uber back and forth if we are all in the same area.

Works even better if someone has a car and drive. And works even better if we actually want to play really nice courses out west like Ballyowen or Pound Ridge or Neshanic.

Also thinking of adding a selling/buying thread in there.

• 3 years later...
On 3/7/2019 at 3:32 AM, Wander Bread said:

If you don't mind driving a bit further out in Jersey, Somerset county is stacked with options that are nice (about an hour and 10 min drive depending on which course) but the out of country rate for the county courses will be a bit pricey -Spooky Brooks in Somerset, Quail Brook in Franklin, Green knoll in Bridgewater are all decent tracks (Spooky the easiest) that are about equidistant. All well maintained. Warrenbrook in warren is a bit closer from Hoboken but also kind of an annoying course as it is very tight and tree lined. and the nicest and newest of them all 27 holes at Neshanic Valley amazing 3 nines, top 7 public courses in all of Jersey but you are looking at 85 with a cart (no walking rate) for out of county on the weekends non-twilight. Great practice facilities and a real challenge. I play it at least once a month. Other non county tracks include Royce Brook (really nice but expensive) Mattawang (cheaper but challenge course - Jack Nicklaus has the course record), Hillsborough Country Club (try this one out for the challenge, not the nicest condition but really challenging and cool, old track - was our home course back in high school)

Reviving this thread...just played Royce Brook this weekend. Use to play their a lot growing up but I felt the conditions have gone down hill, use. Played the East (public) site, course was baked out this early in the season can't imagine it will get better through the summer. Drives were going crazy long though because of this, if you're looking to tell people you hit a big one, go play one round but the price they want now doesn't match the value. 

I play skyway some times, that courses keeps getting better. 

Also played Forrest Hills a couple times over the past year, its in excellent shape, I like the layout. 

21 hours ago, Ironman_32 said:

Reviving this thread...just played Royce Brook this weekend. Use to play their a lot growing up but I felt the conditions have gone down hill, use. Played the East (public) site, course was baked out this early in the season can't imagine it will get better through the summer. Drives were going crazy long though because of this, if you're looking to tell people you hit a big one, go play one round but the price they want now doesn't match the value. 

I play skyway some times, that courses keeps getting better. 

Also played Forrest Hills a couple times over the past year, its in excellent shape, I like the layout. 

Royce Brook East is crap now. After selling property to Toll Brothers they have really let the public course go and are still charging $100 per round which is insane. The bunkers are unplayable. They have still kept the west in decent shape since it is private for the paying members.  Not sure when they are going to break ground on the housing development and create one new 18 hole course, but for now, the east is not worth the money at all.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wander Bread said:

Royce Brook East is crap now. After selling property to Toll Brothers they have really let the public course go and are still charging $100 per round which is insane. The bunkers are unplayable. They have still kept the west in decent shape since it is private for the paying members.  Not sure when they are going to break ground on the housing development and create one new 18 hole course, but for now, the east is not worth the money at all.

agreed, the bunkers were more waste areas and didn't have actual sand. Just somewhat sad for me I had a lot of great memories at that course to see it go down the drain.