2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Hoboken Golfers, Private clubs & Public courses?

AGolfingCigar

Hey All,

I'm from Staten Island, moving to Hoboken and play with a friend from Hoboken regularly.

Couple things, for one we are hoping to get some consistent playing partners so if anyone is interested definitely message me and let me know. We are late 20's professionals who work in Manhattan and golf in NJ almost every weekend.

The other question / issue is that we are pretty tired of driving an hour plus to fields like Ballyowen and Architect's club. For the 2016 season, we are looking to either find public courses closer to Hoboken which are well maintained and pace of play is regulated. My first round under five hours this year was in Boston when visiting a friend. As you can imagine, the 5 hour round plus two hours of travel time is killer and really making this sport a chore.

That said, I'm hoping there are people in a similar situation to me that could recommend clubs or public courses to look into. If joining a club, we're looking to spend from $5-$10k on membership so the likes of Baltusrol and Trump are out. We obviously don't know members at any clubs so sponsors/introcutions are also out.

Please reach out to play or provide advice, it's greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little further south in Jersey but always looking to get out. Hoboken is tough because the majority of the courses up that way are private. We have a fair share of good tracks down my way but again you're looking at a little bit of a trek. I plan on trying to get over to Trump Ferry Point and Bethpage at some point soon.

Both Union and Essex County courses are decent options for those coming from Hoboken. In particular take a look at Galloping Hill and Francis Byrne. They are my reg courses for weekend golf and while they aren't as cheap without the county cards, the conditions are great and the courses both offer decent challenges.

The other courses in each county are as follows.

Essex - Hendricks Field (Not bad at all, but definitely not as good as Byrne or GH), and Weequaic (Never played, likely never will. I have heard that this course isn't bad, but it pales in comparison to Byrne and Hendricks)

Union - a** Brooke (played this course once, and I'd say confidently that it is a distant second to GH)

Hit'em straight!

Titleist // 915D2 9.5*
Titleist // 913F 15*
Titleist // 910F 17*
Titleist // T100S 5-AW
Titleist // SM10 52*, 56*, 60
Scotty Select Fastback 2

I'm in Hoboken - would definitely be up for a round sometime. As others have mentioned it is tough playing public golf out of Hoboken. I did the Union County card for three years, but these days it is impossible to get a Saturday tee time on Galloping Hill or Ash Brook.

I actually prefer the Ash Brook layout, but pace of play at both are brutal. They put a lot of work into Galloping, which is usually in decent condition. It's about 25-30 minutes from Hoboken.

If you're looking at a golf club that will not provide any other frills, Glenwood CC is a good value. About 45 minutes from Hoboken. $1,500 for the year + cart fees if you ride. I belonged there for a year and never had a hard time getting out or finishing a round under 4 hours. Towards the end of the year they usually do a "join for next year and play the rest of this year free" type of deal.

I would've renewed but none of my golf buddies wanted to join, so I've been stuck with the public tracks, which are pretty much all just as far, not in as good shape and brutal pace of play.

I just moved away from NJ, and lived in Union County (Westfield). I can vouch for what was said about Galloping Hill and Ash Brook. I called the latter the "Home of the 5 Hour Round". Its a decent scorable track, but NEVER play it mid day, early on weekends, or after heavy rain as it turns into a swamp. Bring your bug screen too. I always had long rounds at Galloping Hill as well. Though I did enjoy the course, and the practice facility.

I too liked driving to the Crystal Springs courses and Architects, but some others I enjoyed closer to where I lived were in Somerset County: Neschanic Valley and Quail Brook were their best. Green Knoll was beat up earlier this year, Spooky Brook was boring, and the staff at Warren Brook were jerks, but it at least has a little character as it's tight and hilly. All are on golfnow. I found Sun Eagles to be an decent Tillinghast layout, especially the greens. If you go out towards Crystal Springs, Sky View is a neat mountain course. Royce Brook is a really nice course too near Manville, but it can be expensive.

I live in Hoboken for the last 4 years... I joined Forest Hill Field Club in Bloomfield NJ about two years ago.... Great Tillinghast track and only 10miles from Hoboken. Besides playing all the other private courses around the area I do love driving out to Neshanic Valley or Artchitects. Galloping Hill is a great track close by as well.

I would probably recommend joining a private club in 2016.
Most of the public/county courses will have long rounds on the weekends. 4 1/2 hours unless you play at 630Am.
Skyway golf course is a new 9 hole course in jersey city(short ride from hoboken) pace of play will be an issue unless you play on a weekday
Galloping Hill fantastic practice facility.
Good luck

[quote name='wrayner' timestamp='1438710185' post='12077056']
I played Forest Hill a while ago when a friend of mine worked there. Fun little track that not many people know is a Tillinghast course.
[/quote]
Forest Hill is a great Track Greens are some of the fastest in the state... Have to hit fairways to score.

i was going to recommend forest hill. they have done membership drives at green rock or texas arizona in the past, i dont remember which. you could also look at the junior programs at the other essex county courses as well. ie essex county, montclair, upper montclair. without goign private its a struggle for tee times and a long round. i lasted a handful of rounds before i joined a private course.

I've been a member at New Jersey National past couple of seasons and would highly recommend it. Only 40 minutes to get there from our area and its all highway. Challenging track always in great shape and an unbelievable practice facility...also no food min
Forest Hill is nice and I used to be a member but there is no comparison to NJN...FH has food min btw and also the practice facility is grass mats only and less than 200 yards so not allowed to hit driver except for early morning on weekends. Price is very reasonable for NJN I would recommend you contact pierre to play a preview round and drop my name Jay R thanks
Pierre Bohemond [email protected]
2 guys I met earlier this year played a preview round and joined

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the feedback, if anyone has any other recommendations it's greatly appreciated. Will reach out to you guys still local to see if you're interested in getting a round in or potentially joining a club together.

Have you tried Canoe Brook CC off rt24 next to the Short Hills Mall?

Its a straight shot up I-78 to rt24 and maybe 20miles.

Course is 36holes and has been updated a few times by lots of famous architects since 1901. The last few by neighbor Rees Jones in Montclair.

Rigorits got including fast greens and 7+k length. CBCC has always been the US Open regional qualifer historicaly/currentlym Its perennial MET tournament course. Course record is 66 by a pga player.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canoe_Brook_Country_Club

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

• 2 years later...

I created a facebook group = Hudson River Golf Club

Purpose of it is to have golfers set up tee times from Hoboken/Jerseycity/Weehawken areas from different areas and all uber together back and forth.

For example: I live in Hoboken, own a 14 day resident card to Gallopping Hill. Usually get 8amTee times on weekends. I will book a 4 some, and whoeever wants to come, we can all share an uber back and forth if we are all in the same area.

Works even better if someone has a car and drive. And works even better if we actually want to play really nice courses out west like Ballyowen or Pound Ridge or Neshanic.

Also thinking of adding a selling/buying thread in there.