2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rich S: shot my low round and won

rich_s2

> @"rich s" said:

> Heading to Sand Valley tomorrow!! I was there for the first time last year and played Sand Valley but this time we are playing Mammoth Dunes. Going there with my plus handicap friend. I will get some pictures to post afterwards. Weather is supposed to be mid 50's and partly sunny. Hoping to play well but going to have fun no matter what!!

I want to see those pictures! Have a fun time.

$$$$

I just found this thread. I’ve read the early posts from August of 2018. This is good stuff!

Excuse my ignorance, but could someone explain to me, with a few details, how an on-line lesson works?

PS. Go Pack Go! I am a share holder living in Massachusetts. Our golf season is a little longer than Wisconsin’s.

> @Moonlightgrm said:

> I just found this thread. I’ve read the early posts from August of 2018. This is good stuff!

>

> Excuse my ignorance, but could someone explain to me, with a few details, how an on-line lesson works?

>

> PS. Go Pack Go! I am a share holder living in Massachusetts. Our golf season is a little longer than Wisconsin’s.

You send in face on and down the line videos and they send you back the lesson. I think they are great but would highly recommend seeing them in person first. Pack is doing well so far with the new coach, hope it continues.

So I played a local course the last two days I don’t play much. Played the tips (7k) both days. It’s wet, standing water wet so zero roll. Temps in the 50’s and really windy. I played 36 holes today and the second round I played some stellar golf and shot a 80.

I plan on playing in more state events next year and am starting to think I need to add some distance. I could go with stronger lofted irons too for when I play in these kind of conditions. This course has a 225yd par 3 with a tiny green and false front. Into the wind I think I am hitting this green 25% of the time. It’s frustrating.

The weather up here is telling me my season is almost over. Really think I’m going to start flexibility and strength training. Playing with my buddy it is just obvious to me that I can’t compete unless I gain some distance off the tee.

• 4 weeks later...

> @airjammer said:

> Right elbow forward?

Less lateral movement in the left femur in the backswing.

Significantly later movement in right femur in downswing.

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Before I left, I checked my driver clubhead speed on my buddies GC2HMT and was at 99mph. When I was in California, Monte had me on a pressure mat. Long story short, I do not use the ground at all...like zero. The only point at which I put pressure into the ground was after impact. In the backswing my left hip is active and in the downswing my right hip is active which is backwards. After a few drill swings, I was on the mat again and had 1.5X more left leg pressure at P6. The move is to get the right hip deep and left femur forward (not away from target) on the backswing, then keep right hip back and load weight into left heel in transition. My right hip is firing before I am done with the backswing so I really have to feel like it stays put in the transition.

This feeling is very foreign to me. My body see's firing my hips as power and this makes me a hot mess. I spent hours rehearsing this movement and there is no doubt this will take me months of practice to see the real impact. With that said, I am heading to my buddies place tonight to test different feels while doing this move and see how it effects club data. I see a lot of guys in that 100mph range and so I think this next leg of the journey might be interesting to see.

We covered a lot more than this but this is the meat and potatoes. Wish me luck

> @"rich s" said:

> Before I left, I checked my driver clubhead speed on my buddies GC2HMT and was at 99mph. When I was in California, Monte had me on a pressure mat. Long story short, I do not use the ground at all...like zero. The only point at which I put pressure into the ground was after impact. In the backswing my left hip is active and in the downswing my right hip is active which is backwards. After a few drill swings, I was on the mat again and had 1.5X more left leg pressure at P6. The move is to get the right hip deep and left femur forward (not away from target) on the backswing, then keep right hip back and load weight into left heel in transition. My right hip is firing before I am done with the backswing so I really have to feel like it stays put in the transition.

>

> This feeling is very foreign to me. My body see's firing my hips as power and this makes me a hot mess. I spent hours rehearsing this movement and there is no doubt this will take me months of practice to see the real impact. With that said, I am heading to my buddies place tonight to test different feels while doing this move and see how it effects club data. I see a lot of guys in that 100mph range and so I think this next leg of the journey might be interesting to see.

>

> We covered a lot more than this but this is the meat and potatoes. Wish me luck

That's one of my big problems too - left hip moves too much in the backswing and right hip moves too much in the downswing. When I work on this and try to get my left knee more out over my left toes on the backswing it feels very stack & tilt and even though it really isn't. Definitely something I've got to work on a lot over the winter too.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > Before I left, I checked my driver clubhead speed on my buddies GC2HMT and was at 99mph. When I was in California, Monte had me on a pressure mat. Long story short, I do not use the ground at all...like zero. The only point at which I put pressure into the ground was after impact. In the backswing my left hip is active and in the downswing my right hip is active which is backwards. After a few drill swings, I was on the mat again and had 1.5X more left leg pressure at P6. The move is to get the right hip deep and left femur forward (not away from target) on the backswing, then keep right hip back and load weight into left heel in transition. My right hip is firing before I am done with the backswing so I really have to feel like it stays put in the transition.

> >

> > This feeling is very foreign to me. My body see's firing my hips as power and this makes me a hot mess. I spent hours rehearsing this movement and there is no doubt this will take me months of practice to see the real impact. With that said, I am heading to my buddies place tonight to test different feels while doing this move and see how it effects club data. I see a lot of guys in that 100mph range and so I think this next leg of the journey might be interesting to see.

> >

> > We covered a lot more than this but this is the meat and potatoes. Wish me luck

>

> That's one of my big problems too - left hip moves too much in the backswing and right hip moves too much in the downswing. When I work on this and try to get my left knee more out over my left toes on the backswing it feels very stack & tilt and even though it really isn't. Definitely something I've got to work on a lot over the winter too.

My feels are always off but this one is way off. Monte had to show me a video for me to believe it. Over the course of the few days the feels started to become closer to what I was actually doing but this will be a difficult change for sure.

> @"rich s" said:

> > @ddetts said:

> > > @"rich s" said:

> > > Before I left, I checked my driver clubhead speed on my buddies GC2HMT and was at 99mph. When I was in California, Monte had me on a pressure mat. Long story short, I do not use the ground at all...like zero. The only point at which I put pressure into the ground was after impact. In the backswing my left hip is active and in the downswing my right hip is active which is backwards. After a few drill swings, I was on the mat again and had 1.5X more left leg pressure at P6. The move is to get the right hip deep and left femur forward (not away from target) on the backswing, then keep right hip back and load weight into left heel in transition. My right hip is firing before I am done with the backswing so I really have to feel like it stays put in the transition.

> > >

> > > This feeling is very foreign to me. My body see's firing my hips as power and this makes me a hot mess. I spent hours rehearsing this movement and there is no doubt this will take me months of practice to see the real impact. With that said, I am heading to my buddies place tonight to test different feels while doing this move and see how it effects club data. I see a lot of guys in that 100mph range and so I think this next leg of the journey might be interesting to see.

> > >

> > > We covered a lot more than this but this is the meat and potatoes. Wish me luck

> >

> > That's one of my big problems too - left hip moves too much in the backswing and right hip moves too much in the downswing. When I work on this and try to get my left knee more out over my left toes on the backswing it feels very stack & tilt and even though it really isn't. Definitely something I've got to work on a lot over the winter too.

>

> My feels are always off but this one is way off. Monte had to show me a video for me to believe it. Over the course of the few days the feels started to become closer to what I was actually doing but this will be a difficult change for sure.

I worked on this a few years back. Recall my biggest issue was I would at time dip my left knee too much forward leading to some ugly swings.

It came in time. Just reps. The right, I just think about keeping it still and hit ball with my right shoulder - next thing I know I’ve rolled on my right ankle, my right thigh brushes my left, and my butt cheeks have clenched - ball gone. Lol. Good luck. Should add distance and accuracy.

Oh when I need a reminder I watch this.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

> @glk said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > > @ddetts said:

> > > > @"rich s" said:

> > > > Before I left, I checked my driver clubhead speed on my buddies GC2HMT and was at 99mph. When I was in California, Monte had me on a pressure mat. Long story short, I do not use the ground at all...like zero. The only point at which I put pressure into the ground was after impact. In the backswing my left hip is active and in the downswing my right hip is active which is backwards. After a few drill swings, I was on the mat again and had 1.5X more left leg pressure at P6. The move is to get the right hip deep and left femur forward (not away from target) on the backswing, then keep right hip back and load weight into left heel in transition. My right hip is firing before I am done with the backswing so I really have to feel like it stays put in the transition.

> > > >

> > > > This feeling is very foreign to me. My body see's firing my hips as power and this makes me a hot mess. I spent hours rehearsing this movement and there is no doubt this will take me months of practice to see the real impact. With that said, I am heading to my buddies place tonight to test different feels while doing this move and see how it effects club data. I see a lot of guys in that 100mph range and so I think this next leg of the journey might be interesting to see.

> > > >

> > > > We covered a lot more than this but this is the meat and potatoes. Wish me luck

> > >

> > > That's one of my big problems too - left hip moves too much in the backswing and right hip moves too much in the downswing. When I work on this and try to get my left knee more out over my left toes on the backswing it feels very stack & tilt and even though it really isn't. Definitely something I've got to work on a lot over the winter too.

> >

> > My feels are always off but this one is way off. Monte had to show me a video for me to believe it. Over the course of the few days the feels started to become closer to what I was actually doing but this will be a difficult change for sure.

> I worked on this a few years back. Recall my biggest issue was I would at time dip my left knee too much forward leading to some ugly swings.

> It came in time. Just reps. The right, I just think about keeping it still and hit ball with my right shoulder - next thing I know I’ve rolled on my right ankle, my right thigh brushes my left, and my butt cheeks have clenched - ball gone. Lol. Good luck. Should add distance and accuracy.

> Oh when I need a reminder I watch this.

Great swing, thanks for the reply!!

Practice season officially started today. Last year my 7i carry with my new irons was 160 average. Today it was 175. Lots of work to be done yet after visiting Monte. My plan is do lose about 40lbs, do yoga consistently, get in better shape and start doing superspeed again.

As for the swing, you saw my ballerina move above so I’m working on better hip rotation in both backswing and downswing. Feels like I keep the right hip back longer in the downswing.

Here is a swing from today

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pejd0YiwppEProgress! Ball striking is improving and am adding a little distance. 7i carry is over 170 now. The feel that kills the ballerina in me the most is trying to rotate my right foot clockwise at the start of the downswing. It keeps my right knee outward longer and feels very natural. Still a long ways to go but would love to hear your thoughts!

Ball speed with driver is up 1.3mph! Not much but it’s improvement.

Great progress, Rich. My dinky 230 carry envies you.

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

Thanks! Spent a few hours practicing again tonight and made more progress. I am going to share some info in case there are others that have been stuck at 100mph.

I am a high handle ballerina that lives on his toes. There are a couple things that have led to some really good gains in ball speed over the last couple weeks:

-full turn with flat wrist and deep right hip

-start the downswing by putting weight into the right foot and trying to rotate it clockwise. At the same time push the left hip back. This feel like you are going to sit down on a chair. From there keep the handle low and rotate as hard as you can. There is a snap through the ball I have never felt before.

The lower and the farther back I get my butt in the transition the farther the ball goes. It’s crazy. The goal is 160mph ball speed. Started at 151 before going to see Monte. This is from tonight:

JEBWLOSXUFIX.jpegThe other thing is that my launch angles keep coming down on my irons. This was my 7i with the ball position a bit forward of center. I’m trying to exaggerate shaft lean so I can back it off down the road:

ZBC6G79XEKUR.jpeg

2 steps forward... ugh. Last week was crazy. Indoor league monday night with my plus handicap buddy, I shoot a 6 under 29 and he shoots 32. Ball striking and speed were really good. Tue night, nice progress in ball speed and ball striking. Wed night, found even more speed. Thu, hello darkness my old friend...disaster. Pull hooks, 3 fairways over, brutal. Tried all the normal stuff and pull hook mania. Head to the folks for thanksgiving and then come back and nothing but pull hooks. Lost my crap and started pounding balls (this hardly ever happens to me these days). I hit balls until I was soaked, nothing but pull hooks. At this point, I am done, quitting golf, selling the clubs and taking up knitting again. Friday, back is shot but I practice anyways. Pull hooks. Instant rage lol. Just when I am about to lose my crap again I come to my senses and press the reset button. Slow swings on video and I start seeing the issue. Super narrow on the backswing and all arms coming down. Slowly fix these issues and boom, push draws. Ok, I am back! I start ramping up speed and am just crushing my 7i but my back is on borrowed time. Hit a few drivers and my speed is great. Going to head home and my buddy wants to play some on my sim with me. We do skill challenges for a few hours then my other buddy calls and wants to do the same. Did skill challenges for 3 hours. I figure I hit 500-800 balls on Friday but man I hit them good. Saturday, I can barely get out of bed. My buddy wants to do skill challenges, I responded tying my shoes was a skill challenge. We decide to bring our daughters down in the afternoon and do some shorter distance challenges. I can't hit the ball but we had a blast. Sunday, another buddy has a GC2HMT sim and wants me to come over. I was so pumped as I got some baseline numbers on his sim before going to see Monte. Oh man, my back. Anyways, I wanted to play well but my body said no. My speed was up but contact was bad.

Golf progression is not linear, at least not for me. Man it is a lot of work but so worth it. Playing league tonight and then taking a few days off to recover. Really focusing on a wide, full turn and then loading into my right foot and rotating it clockwise to start the downswing. I do believe I will see 160mph this week but if it does not happen, so be it.

• rich_s2 changed the title to Rich S: shot my low round and won