2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

For those that have applied the GG pivot

Kuuuch

> @LeftDaddy said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > Lol, gg an expert in physiology, you guys put too much trust. If it’s hurting you, it’s not good and should stop plus you might not be doing it right

>

> It’s basically the only reason I’m intrigued by him. I don’t want the goofy looking swing almost even if it does work (I kid...sorta). But I’ve fought a few faults for years and long suspected that it wasn’t as simple as “stop doing that”. The first time I heard GG speak about the cause for some swing fault, was the first time I realized that my suspicion might be right. Then I read up on him, and he’s supposed to be an expert in the physiology of the swing. And again, he’s the only one I’ve heard that can tell me why I’m doing something...not “stop doing this”.

>

> But maybe the stuff that has been written about him is wrong? Maybe he didn’t actually study physiology?

>

>

He doesn’t have any degrees that deal with physiology or anything, he has just studied the swing for years and taught a lot of people. I’m only saying if a change is hurting you then stop.

Physiology isn't the right word. More like kinesiology and biomechanics. Physiology has more to do with the body's organs and molecules.

GG has studied the swing a lot and learned from a lot of teachers. He has leaned on Chris Como for more scientific data and findings and has worked with Dr. Scott Lynn and many other scientists to help him better understand the swing and what he teaches.

I don't recall GG ever saying that he was an expert in any scientific discipline.

He just has a tremendous understanding of what he teaches and how to get students to do what he teaches that gets them to produce better ballstriking. I wouldn't label it as a 'method' because he does have a options for each golfer and many of his students have aesthetically pleasing swings that look 'textbook' and some like Matt Wolff have very unique golf swings.

It's functionality over aesthetics.

RH

I got a little of what I was afraid of with the GG moves today. Went to the range to try to continue to groove the new stance and pivot.

My swing went all to heck. By the end of the range session, I could barely make contact with the ball.

I guess the bigger problem is that I had little idea what to fix. I’m not pivoting as well as I was when I first started playing with it. But I can’t seem to figure out why. And I think I started screwing up the stance he suggests, and I don’t know how to get that right either. I almost went back to my old ways but I couldn’t really remember what I had been focused on. And I was so pure for two solid days with the GG stuff (or at least my attempt at it).

Oh well, there’s always tomorrow...

Update: played my first round yesterday with the GG pivot and stance I had been working on. I figured out why I struggled the day before at the range just in time.

Overall I played pretty well. I shot reasonably close to my handicap, which I’ve only done one other time in the past month or so. And my score could have been a whole lot better were it not for a couple of just really stupid shots. My ballstriking was the thing I was most concerned about going in, and it was pretty decent which is encouraging.

I’m struggling with two things related to the new GG moves. First, it seems to yield some big time pulls occasionally. The “stupid shots “ I mentioned above were both due to me not playing for the potential pull, but ending up pulling the heck out of the shot into two ridiculously tough bunkers that led to very unnecessary double bogies. The second thing is that I’m having a hard time squaring my driver face with the move. It seems like the pivot puts my body too far ahead of the ball and thus I’m sorta wiping at the ball with my driver. To be fair, both the pulls and the slices with the driver were occurring prior to my GG related changes. But the pulls and the driver slice seem to be magnified with the GG moves (I had sorta tamed both of those faults prior to making this switch).

I’m definitely sticking with it. I hit some really pure shots overall. And it seemed to make my short game shots so smooth and easy. I have a natural cupping of my wrist in my swing that I can’t seem to fix, and I also have a neutral grip because I fight the pull hooks so much. But those compensations are likely leading to the driver slice at a minimum, because my face is slightly open at the top. I tried a stronger grip but that was disastrous (low screaming hooks). Any help on the pulls and a cupping of my wrist is much appreciated!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest swing.

I paid for another online lesson with GG and was glad to see that he's still doing online lessons. I sent it to him on Sunday night and he got back to me on Thursday night which is the quickest he's gotten back to me.

The big thing I saw in my swing was the chest was not open enough at impact and there was too much over-tilting in the downswing (they both go hand-in-hand).

I also saw that my clubface was a little open at p6. Again, with the over-tilting, chest not open at impact, etc...all goes hand-in-hand.

The problems this was causing was a club path too far to the right, a lack of clubface control and low point control.

It would create a 2-way miss with an excessive push-right and a pull-draw left.

But one of the biggest issues was the dynamic loft gets so high that it reeks havoc on me anytime there's a little wind in my face. I then have to needlessly hit punch shots and those are difficult to hit when you are not getting your chest open at impact.

The thing with golf is rarely can you just say '_okay, don't do those things._', so I wanted to hear from GG on what was causing those issues.

There were 3 big things he got back to me with.

1. Posture (too bent over)

2. Left hand grip started to get too weak and not match my wrist angles in the downswing.

3. I was locking the right leg at the top of the swing instead of turning the right femur and extending it without locking it.

No 2 was interesting because my wedge play from 60-120 yards really dropped off in recent months and I've found that I perform my best from those distances when my grip is strong enough and struggle when my grip gets weak.

No 3 was something I was looking forward to hearing. For years I never liked how my right leg looked at p4, but nobody ever addressed it because it was straightening instead of maintaining its flex. But, I could certainly feel times where my right leg/knee seemed to have a mind of its own on the downswing.

GG sent me a bunch videos and drills to work on as well as explaining the concepts.

I tried it out on Sunday, basically working on the grip and the right knee in the backswing. I'll get to the posture in a couple of weeks.

I decided to go to more of a shorter left thumb grip in order to get some more wrist hinge. I played 9 holes yesterday and hit 6 greens with a 5/2 Score of +9 (the equivalent of hitting it well enough to shoot -1.4 under. I played the nine a -1 under par, so some putting woes continued.

RH

• 2 months later...

I know this is from months ago, but just noticed this thread got bumped again and this is where I left off.

anyway, wanted to offer some insight to anyone mentioning back pain (especially with setup). What I’ve found, (and GG’s team addresses it as well) is that with proper setup, posture, and balance points, many players will find their clubs are too short, especially short irons and wedges. This was the case with me as I’ve typically been standard or 1/4 over but that’s with the typical stance, sticking your butt out, lots of pelvic tilt, bent knees, etc. so basically I found as I was working on GGs teachings that my own clubs are too short for me.

I found after video taping many of my range sessions that naturally, I’d attempt a proper setup, but then would make subconscious compensations due to the length of my clubs...so I found I was a little more on my toes and bending more than I wanted. With long irons this wasn’t an issue, but you’re not really trying to grove swing changes with half swing drills using a 4i!

so to anyone else who thinks they just can’t get comfortable in GGs posture, try it with long irons - most likely, your clubs are too short.

Funny because I've started working a bit more on the setup which still feels uncomfortable, but I'm starting to make some breakthroughs. By the end of 2019, I really started to get things to come along nicely. Here's a swing from early December:

Unfortunately I took a couple of weeks off and started to struggle again.

I recently dedicated myself to the posture. The problem for me is that it feels like I'm way too close to the ball. But, I started to find a fix for that. I have a tendency to tilt my trunk too much towards the ball in the backswing. That's why I stand further away from the ball. And when I tried the posture with that over-tilting of the trunk, it was a bad match.

Now I try to feel like my armpits are over the knee caps at address and then as I turn in the backswing I try to keep the armpits over the knee caps as I pivot. It's more of a bend than an outright tilt as I pivot in the backswing. Thus, my head does not move so much closer to the ball in the backswing and I have more room to pivot in transition.

RH

One of his guys (Brett maybe) said stand about 3” in front of a wall, knees slightly bent (comfortable), then put your belt buckle back towards the wall...so your butt through lower back should be flat against the wall. Then round from the upper back (keeping butt and lower back on wall) as you grab the club.

When I tried this with one of my wedges and looked in the mirror, one of two things happened - I hunched over way more and my armpits were out over my toes, or I sort of arched the lower back and this pulled it off the wall...both things threw me out of the correct posture to accommodate the club. I tried it with my 5 iron and I could comfortable stay in the posture while having the club address the ball properly.

At that point I looked into it more and read through the forums on the site and it’s highly recommended to lengthen the clubs. Made sense to me especially because I thought the short irons and wedges were always too short for me anyway.

6-2 with longer than average arms (35” wtf and 37” shirt sleeve) have always had standard or 1/4” over. It was fine for basically mid to long irons, but 8-wedges I found myself bending over a touch more than I was comfortable with. So my plan of attack was start with the shortest club I was comfortable with and then go up in 3/8” increments so the long irons don’t get too long. So my current build averages 3/4” long but goes from +1-1/8” in PW to +3/8” in 4i. Much more comfortable for a balanced posture where I’m not squatting, bent over too much or reaching at address.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

GG doesn't teach a slight pause at the top other than those that practice freezers. Sometimes the pause at the top works for certain golfers who likely tend to pull the club down to soon in transition or have to really reform their lower body action in transition and the pause helps them do so.

RH

• 11 months later...
On 2/22/2021 at 9:34 AM, Divot License said:

For me this was the most useful and informative Gankas video I have watched (I'm not a member of his website)

Man that was a great video, I really learned a lot with it.

Question when you turn your head on the down swing do you turn it towards the target or just left of the target?

22 minutes ago, Kscarguy said:

Man that was a great video, I really learned a lot with it.

Question when you turn your head on the down swing do you turn it towards the target or just left of the target?

I'm not an expert in the Gankas methodology but I've always assumed the turning of the head was along the target line towards the target. 

• Thanks 1