2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2019 ZStar

monks66

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been years since I used any of the Z-Star variants. However I did happen across a yellow Z-Star (looked like the latest model) sitting along the edge of the golf course yesterday. I only tried it for one iron shot, a chip and a putt on a Par 3. Maybe it was a slight mishit but compared to the Pro V1x (that I was playing for score) I hit on the same hole with the same club the Z-Star flew lower and definitely hop forward a bit more when it landed.

But that's an anecdote of N less than one (since you asked about driver and long-iron). As far as feel/sound, which I am not sensitive to, I must say both hitting it with an 8-iron and playing a little bump-and-run shot from just off the green it had a distinctly dull thud to it. Not saying that's a bad thing, it might be the kind of sound most people would consider "soft".

Sorry for the nearly useless story. It was just a coincidence to find and hit that ball yesterday evening then see you asking about it now. FWIW, that one may still by laying next to the green on that Par 3. I dropped it back in the rough like I'd found it and will let someone else enjoy it.

Last year I had mostly settled on the z-star as my ball. That was last year’s version, but it was a truly great ball. Probably the best one out there overall, but certainly best for me.

This year I ended up settling on the ProV1x. It is much improved from its previous version IMO.

But in my personal opinion, you can’t go wrong with the z-star family either. They just might be the best balls overall on the market...almost certainly the best value.

I love the ZStar. I played it because it was always selling for $30/dz or less depending on where I found it. Low spin on the driver, low-ish spin on long irons, no issues with ballooning. Mid irons had decent spin , typically a one hop and a foot or 2 of roll out with a 7 iron, 8 and 9 would one hip and stop. Wedges could all be pulled back, but it was far from a high spinny flight. It was lower and would bore through wind, but would stop on a dime. Great feel on half shots and touch shots around the green, it almost feels softer than the ~90 compression they say it is. And using my Cleveland HB1, it felt like butter on the greens. The only reason I don’t play it now is because Cut Blue is on Amazon Prime and I honestly get almost the exact the same playing characteristics from the Cut Blue. The ZStar is definitely a $30/dz ball that plays as well as a $50/dz ball.

> @Deadsquiggles said:

> I love the ZStar. I played it because it was always selling for $30/dz or less depending on where I found it. Low spin on the driver, low-ish spin on long irons, no issues with ballooning. Mid irons had decent spin , typically a one hop and a foot or 2 of roll out with a 7 iron, 8 and 9 would one hip and stop. Wedges could all be pulled back, but it was far from a high spinny flight. It was lower and would bore through wind, but would stop on a dime. Great feel on half shots and touch shots around the green, it almost feels softer than the ~90 compression they say it is. And using my Cleveland HB1, it felt like butter on the greens. The only reason I don’t play it now is because Cut Blue is on Amazon Prime and I honestly get almost the exact the same playing characteristics from the Cut Blue. The ZStar is definitely a $30/dz ball that plays as well as a $50/dz ball.

That about sums it up right there.

XV will feel a little firmer, a little better in the wind, and slightly longer off the tee. Not a huge difference in performance but a noticeable difference in feel, IMO.

I stocked up on the yellow Z Stars when Srixon had the 2 dozen for the price of one deal in the early spring . At $20 a dozen for the current version of a tour quality ball that I love (less other store discounts where available), how do you beat that? Waiting for the next Srixon deal but my current stockpile should see me through. The Costco ball situation has made for some interesting reading, but I'm very happy with the Z Star, and it comes in yellow! The price is very close to the Costco ball when shopping is factored in, and it is a quality, reliable ball.

Sad to say I am cheap when it comes to balls. I play the Z-Stars due to price, but love the feel and performance for me. If I got balls for free or were the same price, would play ProV1X, but too much of a price gap.

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Ditto. I prefer ProV1 but price keeps me in Srixon. Although a move to BStone may be on the horizon.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

> @Sunster said:

> Having played the Pro V1x all season I gave the z star a try today. Definitely softer feel. Low driver spin although I lost distance compared to the V1x. Less spn on the greens too. I can cope with these but I found it very hard to judge putting weight with the z star

I bet you'd love the XV. I go between the two and I think I learn more toward the xv vs the v1x at this point. Both are great. The z star is better compared to the Prov

XV is the best all around ball - played is for years based on the great yellow color offering. Can't beat the price vs performance.

Also have Srixon irons and they are legit equipment. Very underated by most.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

I’ve been using the 2019 XV all season as my “nice ball” for competitive or important rounds. It’s a great ball and my ball of choice when price is factored in. if money were no object I think the only noticeable advantage of a prov is it’s a little more durable. But the XVs can be had for $20-35 a dozen depending on the sale so to me that’s a clear winner. I just stock up when they’re $20

I’ve noticed lower spin off the driver. More so than my cheaper ball, on a good drive the XV seems to hang in the air for an extra few seconds. Almost like it’s floating. But that’s just anecdotal. Haven’t put them on a track man or anything.

> @Break81 said:

> XV is the best all around ball - played is for years based on the great yellow color offering. Can't beat the price vs performance.

> Also have Srixon irons and they are legit equipment. Very underated by most.

How do you feel about the durability of this year's ball? I've played the XV in yellow for years and the cover used to be a tank for me. This year's edition scuffs much easier and the seam becomes apparent after a whack or two.

> @soregongolfer said:

> > @Break81 said:

> > XV is the best all around ball - played is for years based on the great yellow color offering. Can't beat the price vs performance.

> > Also have Srixon irons and they are legit equipment. Very underated by most.

>

> How do you feel about the durability of this year's ball? I've played the XV in yellow for years and the cover used to be a tank for me. This year's edition scuffs much easier and the seam becomes apparent after a whack or two.

I do prefer the 2017 version for both durability and feel. I think the 2019 version is a cross between the 2017 Z and XV. Still a great ball but the 2017 were better IMHO

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

I really like the 2019 Srixon Z-star balls. I prefer the regular to the X version as the X is just a little too firm for me. I've played the ProV1 and Snell offerings this year in addition to the Srixon and as a 3 handicap, they all play very well for me. It's tough for me to justify the price difference for the ProV's vs. the Snell or Srixon offerings for my game.