First Trip to Bandon

marks21

Hello,

After following these threads for the past year and reading most of your stories and comments which finally convinced me to bite the bullet and book my own trip to Bandon, I thought I would follow suit and create a post about my first trip to Bandon. I am one month out and the excitement is at full force. I arrive in Bandon on November 3rd and have 5 days and 4 nights planned.

**Back Story:**

For a 30 year old, I am fairly new to golf… I picked up the game of golf following the completion of my baseball career where I played collegiately and was looking for a new hobby. Through work, I was often invited on golf outings so I figured I might as well give this game a shot. I have only been golfing for a total of about 5-6 years and only in the past 2 or so years have began to become a golf nut. I’ll admit, I had no idea of Bandon Dunes until early 2018 when I decided to take a weekend trip and played Sand Valley. Sitting on the patio around the fire, I met some fellow golfers from California; they were all older and retired and had wonderful stories from the courses they have traveled and played. There stories were fantastic, and it was those gentlemen who first mentioned Mr. Keiser’s other properties and if I wanted to true golf experience, I needed to get out to Bandon. I spent the next few months researching the courses, reading threads on here and decided that I need get out there. I spent the next few weeks and months over winter bugging my friends and family to join me. Due to timing, no one could commit to trip in 2019 so I decide to plan a solo trip (with the encouragement of my fiancé).

**The Trip:**

I booked this trip with only 9-10 months notice, luckily for me, I was pretty flexible on my dates and had two week or so window to make the trek. I called the reservations number and we discussed numerous options that would fit my schedule. I made notes and then proceeded to look at flights. Traveling from Iowa has it’s fair share of challenges....two hour drive to a regional airport or a 4-5 hour drive to Chicago, connecting flights to Denver and on to Eugene or direct flights to Portland. Ultimately I decided to fly from Iowa, connect in Denver and arrive in Eugene and rent a car for the drive to Bandon.

In scheduling my Rounds and researching the courses, I wanted to play two rounds on each of Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes and Bandon Trails and allow for one round in the morning/evening on each of Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes. With booking later, this meant being flexible playing two morning rounds on Trails.

**Day 1 - 11/3 - Arrival and Round 1 – Pacific Dunes @ 11 / Punchbowl**

Following my day of travel and flight not arriving to 9PM on the 2nd, I decided to stay the 2nd in Eugene. I plan to wake up and get on the round by sunrise to allow ample time for the drive and warm-up.

**Day 2 – 11/4 - Bring on Day 1 of 36. Trails @ 7:40 and Bandon Dunes at 12:50**

**Day 3 – 11/5 - Bit of a Breather, Maybe. Old Mac @ 9:00.**

I left the afternoon slot open as I wasn’t sure how my body would be holding up after travel and golf the first few days. I was told being a single, I would likely be able to walk on another course if I choose to play another 18. The other option is playing a round on Preserve and Punchbowl or partaking in a massage.

**Day 4 – 11/6 - Another Day of 36. Trails @ 7:30 and Pacific Dunes @ 12:30**

**Day 5 – 11/7 - Farewell. Bandon Dunes @ 8:30**

Time for one more round before heading back to Eugene for my red-eye flight home.

**Additional Information / Thoughts**

- As of now, I do not plan on using a caddy. I walk and carry 90% of my rounds now so I am in decent shape. Most courses in Eastern Iowa are woven through the Mississippi Valley and aren’t easy walks. Additionally, this is one area I would able to try and cut some cost as I am in the middle of wedding planning. I am debating on getting caddies for the round two on Days 2 and 4 to help lighten the load for me.

- I ordered the yardage books in advance and have been making notes through various course reviews. The biggest issue I think I will come across is the wind and adjusting the yardage but that will part of the fun.

- Reservations are booked for each night at McKee’s. I am contemplating heading off site one night to see the town of Bandon and try some fresh Seafood. I have read the other threads and it appears there are some good options.

- I am in the process of reading Dream Golf and it continues to increase the excitement level. I look forward to seeing some the spots they have highlighted.

- I plan to change shoes and socks between my rounds but I am wondering if most head back to their rooms to do this? Can I leave a bag at the pro-shop with these items? I plan on utilizing the shuttle vs driving my own car between the courses.

Please provide any insight, ideas, or recommendations for a first timer! I look forward to reading them between now and my trip.

I will be sure to post updates of my trip and provide a trip recap upon my return.

Mark

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke 70X
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80x
Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
Toulon Portland H3
Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trails should be done in the afternoon....the course limits the wind level.

Otherwise pretty good.

You can leave your stuff at the pro shop each round...no issue. No need to go back to the room unless you really want to. But it is an easy stop if going from a course to Lilly pond to Trails.

I used my own car instead of the shuttle going in between the courses and resorts. Allows you more flexibility and don't have to wait for a shuttle to come around. Plus you can keep your extra change of shoes and socks in the car too and other things too. You have the rental car so you might as well use it while you are there.

If you already have a car, use it instead of the shuttle. The shuttle is great, but having your own wheels makes it even easier. No place you'll be going on the whole property is more than a five minute drive from any other place, and you'll have the bonus advantage of being able to use your car as your locker room, so you won't need to go back to your room.

Other than that, it looks like you've got a pretty solid plan in place. Leave yourself room to adjust as you go, especially in the afternoons. As a single, you'll have a great deal of flexibility on which course you play and how many holes. The staff at any of the course pro shops can see what the other courses have available. They get it, and will be able to give you options for playing less than 18 if that's how you're feeling.

Have a great trip and be sure to file a trip report when you are done!

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

> @Mustu said:

> I'm going to be there as a single the same days (except getting there the 4th instead of 3rd). I'll be teeing off 10 minutes after you at Bandon Dunes on the last day. My first time too and I'm excited as well.

What’s your schedule lookin like?

Toulon Portland H3

> @Mustu said:

>

> 11/04/2019 Bandon Dunes 11:30 AM

> 11/05/2019 Pacific Dunes 10:50 AM

> 11/06/2019 Old Macdonald 7:30 AM

> 11/06/2019 Bandon Trails 12:30 PM 11/07/2019 Bandon Dunes 8:40 AM

> I called and booked just 6 weeks ago. I basically just let the nice booking woman suggest tee times and I took whatever they had.

Nice schedule...but you should try and get another round in on 11/5 - at least on Shortys; better if it is the Preserve.

You should be fine without a caddie if you're used to walking. This year was my second trip and I opted for a push cart rather than hauling them on my back and that alone made a huge difference. I had a buddy that was driving down from Seattle, so I was able to get a Sun Mountain microcart down there for free, but plenty in our group used the rickshaws. If you go the rickshaw route, I'd suggest snagging this for $6 on Amazon. I got this from someone off these threads (sorry I can't give credit where credit is due) and everyone that had them swore by them. Strap it to the handle of the rickshaws there and you have somewhere for your drink, rangefinder, extra ammo, etc. Other than that and the things mentioned above, everything looks great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PK1G76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

> @kaschreiber said:

> You should be fine without a caddie if you're used to walking. This year was my second trip and I opted for a push cart rather than hauling them on my back and that alone made a huge difference. I had a buddy that was driving down from Seattle, so I was able to get a Sun Mountain microcart down there for free, but plenty in our group used the rickshaws. If you go the rickshaw route, I'd suggest snagging this for $6 on Amazon. I got this from someone off these threads (sorry I can't give credit where credit is due) and everyone that had them swore by them. Strap it to the handle of the rickshaws there and you have somewhere for your drink, rangefinder, extra ammo, etc. Other than that and the things mentioned above, everything looks great.

>

> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PK1G76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the recommendation! Great idea to have quick access the essentials.

Toulon Portland H3