who has actually played with a legit scratch golfer/pro level player?

NM44

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> > @JerryTBall said:, just like if you play with somebody that complements every shot, really likes the way you play, you could turn in some pretty low scores .

> >

>

> That person is going to get shot if he was riding my cart

I’m not saying be a chatterbox I’m just like if I’m riding with you, you had a good shot from 180 yards out, I might say nice and up to the green you make your Birdie, nice birdie, but, it’s not every shot to clarify. I play with too many people that don’t even want to say a word on the golf course, it’s a hobby, but they probably love playing with fuzzy or Lee Trevino.

Crime is actually way down and trending lower. Media just reports more of it than in the past unless it happens in DC, Baltimore or Chicago.

• Like 2

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

One of my high school golfers is ridiculous in terms of ability (not surprisingly he is committed to a top 5 golf program). The kid just has complete control of his golf ball. He will call his shot down to the height and spin numbers. He’s basically a more polished version of Bubba Watson in terms of the think it, mentally see it, and then do it mentality.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I've played with a legit + hdcp. I'm a mid-capper. He hit his fair share of poor shots, not as many as me, but more than I thought a plus would. The biggest take away I got from that round, and talking to him throughout, was his course management. How he sees the hole with his ball flight, what happens if he misses long, short, left, right and plays to his strength. Also his pre-shot routine never wavered and he never gave up on a hole. He finished 3 under that day.

I play a lot at public courses and I’d guess that I get paired with a really good player about once every 30 rounds. I agree with the other posters’ comments that the really good players play at private courses or have a dedicated group. The people I know at work that I’ve been told are really good golfers all play at private clubs.

I can't believe I never noticed this thread before. My ex-manager (3ish years ago) made a go at the tour. I never asked him directly but just heard anecdotal evidence that he either made it to the upper level mini tours (Canadian Tour, what would have been Nike or Web.com) to he actually Monday qualified and made some pro events. We played a course that is around 6100 yards (possibly played blacks at 6700, I can't remember) and this was his second round of the year (in late July or early August). He shot what I think was the course record at 64 ot 63 but it didn't count because he either took a mulligan on one hole because it was just a horrendous shot or because he left the flagstick in on a putt and accidentally made it. Either way, it was just dumb to watch. Every drive was ripped, irons were either 10-15 feet for a birdie look or were "mishit" slightly to about 25-30 feet. He carried an M1 driver, G25 4 wood, Taylormade TP CBs (the ones with the weights in the back of them), a Ping Ketsch putter, and I think some older TM wedges. They were all stock shafts, except for the driver because he won it in a contest so it was custom fit for him.

To put it mildly it was effortless as others had said. Rarely missed, putts dropped like they were 2 foot tap-ins when he needed them, every par 5 was an eagle look, almost jarred it on a couple of par 3s, and there was no such thing as scrambling for par. I wish I had his game or even half of it. He doesn't play still and gave up the golf gig to work selling lumber or something in a cottage town about 2 hours north to have more quality time with the family.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

> @phatchrisrules said:

> I can't believe I never noticed this thread before. My ex-manager (3ish years ago) made a go at the tour. I never asked him directly but just heard anecdotal evidence that he either made it to the upper level mini tours (Canadian Tour, what would have been Nike or Web.com) to he actually Monday qualified and made some pro events. We played a course that is around 6100 yards (possibly played blacks at 6700, I can't remember) and this was his second round of the year (in late July or early August). He shot what I think was the course record at 64 ot 63 but it didn't count because he either took a mulligan on one hole because it was just a horrendous shot or because he left the flagstick in on a putt and accidentally made it. Either way, it was just dumb to watch. Every drive was ripped, irons were either 10-15 feet for a birdie look or were "mishit" slightly to about 25-30 feet. He carried an M1 driver, G25 4 wood, Taylormade TP CBs (the ones with the weights in the back of them), a Ping Ketsch putter, and I think some older TM wedges. They were all stock shafts, except for the driver because he won it in a contest so it was custom fit for him.

>

> To put it mildly it was effortless as others had said. Rarely missed, putts dropped like they were 2 foot tap-ins when he needed them, every par 5 was an eagle look, almost jarred it on a couple of par 3s, **and there was no such thing as scrambling for par**. I wish I had his game or even half of it. He doesn't play still and gave up the golf gig to work selling lumber or something in a cottage town about 2 hours north to have more quality time with the family.

The funny thing is, what separates elite players from good players is scrambling for pars. A lot of players can post a low number when things are on, but it's the ones who seemingly play awful and then post a couple under that really impress.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I played with a guy that had a disability, forgive me for not knowing the name, but his legs were very skinny while the rest of his body was normal. Guys had knee braces on both legs. Ended up shooting -5 on the front nine. He hit every fairway, only missed two greens, and putted lights out. His tee shots were around 200-210, but he seemed to hit everything out of the middle of the face. He ended the round -3, as the back 9 generally plays longer with the wind.

It just blew my mind to watch. Here I was, hitting the ball 290~ into the rough, struggling to make pars on most holes, while this guy was just plotting his way around the course without mistake. I finished the day +6. We both played from the same tee box. Learned a lot that day.

I've played with plus handicappers. When I was in the military, I used to play with a guy that could hit it around 310 off the tee, and had an amazing short game. His irons were the weak part of his game. But even on the bad days, the worst I ever saw him shoot was +2.

> @jll62 said:

> > @phatchrisrules said:

> > I can't believe I never noticed this thread before. My ex-manager (3ish years ago) made a go at the tour. I never asked him directly but just heard anecdotal evidence that he either made it to the upper level mini tours (Canadian Tour, what would have been Nike or Web.com) to he actually Monday qualified and made some pro events. We played a course that is around 6100 yards (possibly played blacks at 6700, I can't remember) and this was his second round of the year (in late July or early August). He shot what I think was the course record at 64 ot 63 but it didn't count because he either took a mulligan on one hole because it was just a horrendous shot or because he left the flagstick in on a putt and accidentally made it. Either way, it was just dumb to watch. Every drive was ripped, irons were either 10-15 feet for a birdie look or were "mishit" slightly to about 25-30 feet. He carried an M1 driver, G25 4 wood, Taylormade TP CBs (the ones with the weights in the back of them), a Ping Ketsch putter, and I think some older TM wedges. They were all stock shafts, except for the driver because he won it in a contest so it was custom fit for him.

> >

> > To put it mildly it was effortless as others had said. Rarely missed, putts dropped like they were 2 foot tap-ins when he needed them, every par 5 was an eagle look, almost jarred it on a couple of par 3s, **and there was no such thing as scrambling for par**. I wish I had his game or even half of it. He doesn't play still and gave up the golf gig to work selling lumber or something in a cottage town about 2 hours north to have more quality time with the family.

>

> The funny thing is, what separates elite players from good players is scrambling for pars. A lot of players can post a low number when things are on, but it's the ones who seemingly play awful and then post a couple under that really impress.

I agree with you there. What I meant more along the lines of was that it all seemed so easy. Nothing was a bad shot, I don't think he missed a green. If he did it was easily a tap-in putt. I guess that was his "scrambling" but in reality it was so good nothing looked hard at all.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

There was an old neighbor of my parents that was a retired businessman of some sort - spent his professional career on the golf course multiple times per week, then golfed damn near daily during retirement. His other hobby was cruises, and he spent his time away from the course calculating and figuring out how to get the cheapest cruises (on some Extreme Couponing-level stuff, he would actually get paid to go on cruises). So, he had a clubfitter at each port-of-call in the Caribbean with a golf course ready and waiting for him with a set of custom-sized rental clubs (you don't save money on cruises by paying the oversize luggage fees to bring your own clubs).

Obviously he was a driven guy; he couldn't have been such a successful businessman if he wasn't. But, he was far from competitive, and often declined entry into tournaments and the like. What sticks out in my memory was the grace and ease with which he approached every single shot, and how his calm coolness shone as a beacon of positivity around him. He was a powerful presence. He never celebrated a birdie, and never raised a ruckus over a bogey (but those almost never happened)...everything was just as it was, and as it needed to be. Even though a quick 9 after dinner with the guys around the neighborhood was his 27th (or 45th) holes of the day, he rarely faltered or tired. It was with him that I scored my best 9 holes to date (then completely pooped the bed the very next day on the very same 9 holes at the high school golf team tryouts).

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

We have some solid players where I play. In a recent 16-man game my A-player missed a 3-footer on 18 to shoot 8-under with a bogey. The second A-player advanced deep into match-play at the US Mid-Am last year. The third A-player won several G-Pro events last year. The fourth A-player was just a random +2 handicapper nobody has ever heard of. I think we had 9 players that day who were 1-handicap or better, and 6 who were +plus handicappers....by definition two of which ended up being B-players!

I have a friend that’s a club pro and we play together fairly often but as far as getting paired with random scratch golfers goes I’ve never been paired with one. Lowest I’ve been paired is around a 2. I’ve been between 3.9 and 7 for the past 5 years (currently 5.5) and have played a lot of rounds as a single joining groups and it’s extremely rare to get paired with someone that beats me.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
3 wood: Callaway Paradym

5 wood: TaylorMade Stealth+

Utility iron: Callaway Apex ut

4 Hybrid: Callaway Paradym
Irons: Titleist T100 4-pw 
Wedges: Vokey sm9 50*, 54*, 60*
Putters: TaylorMade Spider X

Odyssey AI-ONE 7S

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Back in the 1970's in high school, I played against Chris Perry, who went on to have a fairly successful career on the PGA Tour. I also played once in those days with Mark O'Meara, who was playing at Long Beach State at the time, and would win the US Amateur a couple of years later. I was a very good amateur at the time, probably a 1-2 hcp. They were LIGHT YEARS better than I was. Wasn't even close. The day I played with O'Meara, he shot 67 and made it look easy. We were playing completely different games.

> @Buckets2 said:

> Only once someone gets to scratch do they realize how much they truly suck.

and if they ever fall out of scratch due to swing issues or life it makes golf harder knowing what they are capable of versus what they are doing. FML...

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Paired up this week with a mini-tour player. We played 9. I knew something was up when he walked back to the tips where I was without asking about tees (at this course, no one, _no one_ plays the tips except me and a handful of others whom I know). Then I knew something was really up when I crushed my drive... and his airmailed my ball on its way to 300+. He only had one approach on the day outside of 30', and shot even par with 2 birdies offset by an ugly double that was kind of unlucky. He hit his 5 iron as far as my 5w and his wedges distances vs clock position of swing were dialed to the yard. Very fun to play with.

I played with a former Euro tour player and it was fun to watch. I am a 10 and we played from the 6200 yd tees , he gave me 18 strokes-match play. On the first hole I knew I was in trouble. He hit wedge to 6 inches for birdie. On a shorter par 4, he hit driver to 15' for eagle putt, though he missed it.

Had a ton of fun. I believe he shot 71 or 72. Did I say it was fun ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

> @Minnow31 said:

> I played with a former Euro tour player and it was fun to watch. I am a 10 and we played from the 6200 yd tees , he gave me 18 strokes-match play. On the first hole I knew I was in trouble. He hit wedge to 6 inches for birdie. On a shorter par 4, he hit driver to 15' for eagle putt, though he missed it.

> Had a ton of fun. I believe he shot 71 or 72. Did I say it was fun ?

71/72 from 6200 yards?

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Everytime I play, it's with a scratch to +4 player. I'm +1 right now and might be about 3rd to 5th best golfer at my home club due to my age. They hit it a mile and have good short game while I'm lacking in that department. But I always have fun playing golf with those guys, no matter what.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

My grandpa was a scratch and two of my uncles were scratch. All three belonged to clubs and pretty much only played with similar golfers in money games. They weren’t interested in playing rounds with people they had to give strokes to. All three were also (and I say this lovingly) quite condescending. Could they hit it long and accurate, shape shots depending on circumstances, make really difficult-looking bunker shots appear easy, and drop in most putts inside 7 or 8 feet? Sure. Would you have enjoyed playing a round with them? Not a chance.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Played a ton of golf with my late Dad. He was legit scratch.

He played on a national title team in college. As a 37 year old trial lawyer, he finished 4th in the Southern Amateur. Played with a UT golfer name of Crenshaw in the final round, and had it inside him 12 of 18 holes.

He won several Champions Cups with a partner who went on to make millions on the senior tour. I caddied for him when he qualified for a Senior Open as an amateur.

He won the Club Championship one year with 216 over 3 rounds from the tips. 2nd place was 13 shots behind. As a result, the club went to a match play championship format the following year.

Personally witnessed him shoot 30 on nine holes once.

And he was a prince of a guy. I count my blessings every day!

• Like 3

Gift ideas?  Products I have tested.

> @br61 said:

> Everytime I play, it's with a scratch to +4 player. I'm +1 right now and might be about 3rd to 5th best golfer at my home club due to my age. They hit it a mile and have good short game while I'm lacking in that department. But I always have fun playing golf with those guys, no matter what.

You are very fortunate.

Before kids I played with a lot of scratch or better players (older egolf minor league golfers) which was awesome but since kids my only playing partners now is my 9 yr old daughter and 12 year son. But My wife and I still sneak away for our 3x a year trip to Vegas where my best friend is a caddie at Shadow Creek - he knows and meets a lot of PGA/LPGA players there. I had the pleasure of playing with 3 current PGA tour players and one upcoming LPGA player and it was awesome. The one thing I took away from that experience each and every time was their shot routine NEVER changes and their trigger that starts the process (iron clad process). Another item is they NEVER swing the club without having a specific target in their minds eye. No ifs, ands or buts. You talk about muscle memory and this is ingrained into their entire process each and every time. Makes you really think about the overall process and not just the swing; granted their swings are the same over and over. But this past year I really focused on the preshot and target before the shot and I have improved my handicap by 1 point this year.

Lastly, I thought my short game was slightly better than good until I played with them. My short game SUCKS!!! Now, due to my practice time shorten due to family activities; my practice consist of 10 minutes long game and 30-40 minutes short game because that is where you save strokes. To steal the PGA saying from a few years ago, these guys are good is the biggest understatement. They are exceptional from anywhere. .

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSR4 - Folds of Honor Ventura Blue TR
Fairway: Taylormade Stealth 2 16.5 - Tour UB TX

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 7 wood - AD XS

Hybrid: PXG Gen 6 22* 4 - Tour AD 95x
Irons:   PXG 0317 CB 5-G - Steelfiber Reserve 110cw
Wedges:  TaylorMade MG3 54* / Taylormade Hi Toe 58* - KBS TGI
Putter: 1st - Low Tide Stability BLACK / Odyssey Tank Stability Black CounterBalance / Goodwood M6
Ball: Titleist -Prov1x, 2022 AVX, Tour B XS, TP5x  (Left Dash is number 1 ball but Bridgestone XS is close second)  

I hear the phrase "legit scratch" a lot it seems, and frankly as someone who's handicap is around there I find it annoying lol. You're either a scratch or you aren't.

It seems like those using the phrase mean it as someone who a majority of the time plays to a scratch differential, not someone like me who bounces around low 70s to low 80s, but has enough low scores to be around 0 or better. Will be even more of an effect next year when the handicap system becomes best 8 or 20 rather than best 10.

I'll be the first to admit there is a big difference between a 0 like me and a 0 who plays at that level every round. (i see it all the time). There are plenty of D1 college players who are around 0 to +1, but they're miles better than me.

> @ssf301 said:

> I've played with JB Holmes and Brant Snedeker a few times. They are LIGHT YEARS better than the scratch golfers I play with regularly.

Of course. Here are the last 20 scores of a buddy of mine whose handicap is 2.1, not quite scratch.

70% of his rounds are in the 78 to 84 range (granted - at some difficult courses).

This will only get magnified when we go to 8 of 20.

eycqmmoulptz.png

Gift ideas?  Products I have tested.