Ship with airline or ship sticks?

I've flown dozens of times with my ClubGlove travel bag, and never had a problem. Its a lot cheaper than ShipSticks, but with Shipsticks you don't have to carry or roll your clubs through the airport. What is the convenience worth to you?

ive flown a ton without issue, never on spirit so not sure if anyone has any insight with them specifically, given their reputation it might not be quite as cheap/reliable as other airlines. there isn't much of an inconvenience getting your clubs from drop off to checkin and baggage claim to pick up. However if youre dealing with public transportation and/or connecting flights it can potentially be a huge pain

> @payerasjl said:

> spirit charges you to breathe, so im sure their golf club fees might be a bit on the high side. Check out ship sticks and their social media for some discounts (they often do 10% off).

Golf bags are the same price as any other carry on with Spirit. I'm unfortunately forced to fly them semi-regularly, as they're the only airline with a direct flight from Boston to Myrtle Beach (where my mother lives). My wife and I always bring our clubs, we bought Tour Trek TC Flex travel covers. Spirit is absolutely horrible, but we have never had a problem with our clubs.

I'd also comment that davep got it right. Shipsticks is much more expensive than taking them on the airline. You also have to give up your clubs for a few days, sometimes up to a week. If the cost and added separation for your clubs are worth not having to lug the clubs from the parking lot to baggage check to you, then go for it. I don't find it that much of a hassle, even going up an escalator with two sets of clubs :)

Fly with your sticks. Way cheaper. WAY. Plus I know when I get off the plane, my sticks are waiting for me when I get to the oversized belt.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

> @ClarkGrswld4 said:

> i'm actually surprised shipsticks is still in business, not worth it at all except in rare situations

For lots of people, the convenience of having someone else pick up your clubs at your home and deliver them to your hotel or golf destination is well worth the cost. We all pay for convenience at times, don't we? People buy lettuce that has been pre-shredded, we buy ground beef rather than grinding our own, we buy Starbucks coffee rather than brew our own. Shipsticks is just one more business that takes advantage of our desire to make our own lives "easier" in some way. I don't choose to use Shipsticks, but I can understand the attraction.

> @Jlender21 said:

> Hi guys, I am flying to Orlando over Christmas break and I am looking to take my clubs, what is the best option ship sticks or airline?

Define "Best option". If "best" = cost, then the airlines are usually best. If "best" = convenience, then Shipsticks is often best.

Do you have to rent a bigger car to carry your clubs?

Are you changing hotels?

Are you traveling to other locations before or after the golf trip?

etc.

I'm using shipsticks in a couple of weeks. The use case is that I'm playing three rounds of golf in three days (far away from home); then I have to travel to meetings in four different cities in three days. Just a lot easier to have the last club that I play at slap a label on them and ship them back to me than it is to lug them up and down the west coast.

• Like 1

Not to scare you, but I had Spirit 'lose' my clubs for a week, on direct flight from Myrtle back to Philly in 2012. I got checked in early - so my guess is someone put them off to the side and forgot to load them on the plane. Luckily it was on my return flight, but it was a nightmare to get them back from a budget airline, like Spirit.. Alternatively, I've flown across the US and to Mexico with clubs on non-direct flights and not had any issues.

> @davep043 said:

> > @ClarkGrswld4 said:

> > i'm actually surprised shipsticks is still in business, not worth it at all except in rare situations

>

> For lots of people, the convenience of having someone else pick up your clubs at your home and deliver them to your hotel or golf destination is well worth the cost. We all pay for convenience at times, don't we? People buy lettuce that has been pre-shredded, we buy ground beef rather than grinding our own, we buy Starbucks coffee rather than brew our own. Shipsticks is just one more business that takes advantage of our desire to make our own lives "easier" in some way. I don't choose to use Shipsticks, but I can understand the attraction.

But it's not more convenient. It's more money to have your clubs for less time and also in unskilled careless peoples hands. I'd way rather save my money, role dice and have them when I arrive. Everyone heard of airline losing them or breaking clubs but tons of people fly fine with them.

I truly don't understand how they stay in business

> @mattw387 said:

> Not to scare you, but I had Spirit 'lose' my clubs for a week, on direct flight from Myrtle back to Philly in 2012. I got checked in early - so my guess is someone put them off to the side and forgot to load them on the plane. Luckily it was on my return flight, but it was a nightmare to get them back from a budget airline, like Spirit.. Alternatively, I've flown across the US and to Mexico with clubs on non-direct flights and not had any issues.

That sucks. As a negative but ultimately positive example, our bags weren't marked all the way to our final destination by a boob in Minneapolis, so we got to Edinburgh last year with no golf bags. Good news, once that was verified to KLM's satisfaction, someone was immediately on the phone back to Amsterdam and the clubs came on the next flight over (took a few hours, but at least we had them that day).

> @raynorfan1 said:

> I'm using shipsticks in a couple of weeks. The use case is that I'm playing three rounds of golf in three days (far away from home); then I have to travel to meetings in four different cities in three days. Just a lot easier to have the last club that I play at slap a label on them and ship them back to me than it is to lug them up and down the west coast.

I'm with you, I use them for two reasons: scenarios like the one you list above which happen to me a lot and when I'm hosting a client somewhere and work is paying for it. If I'm traveling on a golf trip I just take them myself.

My thoughts echo most everyone else here. Shipsticks is more expensive and could be more convenient. I have used them if I'm playing golf for part of a trip where the rest is non-golf. If I fly, especially direct, for a dedicated golf trip then check them.

I have found that most resorts have a good system in place for receiving and sending out clubs via Shipsticks. I usually call ahead to let them know.

One tip. Keep the box that you ship in so you don't have to buy a new one every time.

Can someone explain how I can ship my clubs home using ShipSticks if I am flying home Sunday when shipping stores are closed.

Do I ask the course to ship it Monday? The hotel? Also how do I give them a return shipping label? Or do they take care of that?

Gift ideas?  Products I have tested.

> @CougarRed said:

> Can someone explain how I can ship my clubs home using ShipSticks if I am flying home Sunday when shipping stores are closed.

>

> Do I ask the course to ship it Monday? The hotel? Also how do I give them a return shipping label? Or do they take care of that?

I've done it from both hotels and courses. At courses, they usually have you covered and don't even need the shipping label. I always print mine in case but I've never had to give it to them. They just print it as they get the notification anyway from Shipsticks. In the case of the hotel I've always just taped the label on myself and the porters take care of it getting it shipped. I've never taken them to a store.

> @pinhigh27 said:

> But it's not more convenient. It's more money to have your clubs for less time

Maybe not for you, but it's been perfect for me a few times. Has the thought ever occurred to you that other people might have different needs than you?

Would you really like to carry your golf clubs all over Europe for two weeks after playing golf for a week in Scotland?

• Like 1

> @CougarRed said:

> Can someone explain how I can ship my clubs home using ShipSticks if I am flying home Sunday when shipping stores are closed.

>

> Do I ask the course to ship it Monday? The hotel? Also how do I give them a return shipping label? Or do they take care of that?

You arrange all the details with Ship Sticks before your trip including the pickup date and location. They send you shipping labels to print.

Then they pick up your clubs on the agreed-upon date.

If you are concerned about a date or location, call them. They are easy to work with.

I've used both. Ship sticks is the official provider for Kiawah. Was only $75 each way. Only he says...

But, travel with wife, kid on a 7 day trip. Was super convenient to be sitti g there waiting. Also, if you aren't Ina rush it can be alot cheaper...I sent my bag Sunday after my round (so Monday) from my club to Kiawah. Arrived Thursday, picked up Sat. Played Sunday and then played last round Friday. Label on, clubs met me at my club the following week.

So for a long vacay and with days to spare? Best $150 I ever spent.

Most trips, especially with free checked bags? SW <3 Carry.

I also stuffed a ton of crap in there for ship sticks, whereas with airline, if you go over 47 or 50 lbs, they hit you with a higher charge.

All relative. Normally I go through the airport but there is indeed a cost for convenience.

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

Shipsticks has their place for situations described above. As airlines continue to "enhance" their amenities, which usually involve a downgrade of service Shipsticks will only increase their business. They would love the airlines to start charging more for golf clubs and for SW to drop free baggage obviously as that is where they would gain market share.

I only use them in very niche circumstances. This year I was flying into Heathrow, landing at 6:15 am on BA and had the first tee time of the day at Sunningdale at 8:00. I packed a carry on and was in biz so I was one of the first people off the plane. I didn't want to have to mess with claiming any luggage, let alone my clubs. I used shipsticks to have my clubs already at Sunningdale and I'm very thankful I paid a premium to do so as I wanted to play both courses at Sunningdale and had to make the 8 am or wouldn't have gotten a time due to member play.

Add in some of "life", such as construction on the road and I was lucky to make my tee time as a 1 ball by myself. Didn't even have time for the complimentary breakfast. In short, it was VERY needed and delivered in that instance.