2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

WATER PROOFING GOLF SHOES

SEP1006

I have always ( and still do ) wear the Footjoy Icon Classics or Dry Joy Premiers. Of course they are waterproof or water resistant as they might say in the beginning when they are new. I take really good care of them and apply mink oil probably about once a month. They still look new but after a while my feet do get wet in the early morning rounds from all the dew on the course.

So my question is this. Is there a "water proof" spray out there that any of you have used successfully or recommend??

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I use Woods silicone water proof spray. It was designed for camping equipment, however works well on shoes.

Follow the instructions, but then give them 3 treatments with 12 hrs between applications. Renew 1x/mo.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

> @SEP1006 said:

> I have always ( and still do ) wear the Footjoy Icon Classics or Dry Joy Premiers. Of course they are waterproof or water resistant as they might say in the beginning when they are new. I take really good care of them and apply mink oil probably about once a month. They still look new but after a while my feet do get wet in the early morning rounds from all the dew on the course.

>

> So my question is this. Is there a "water proof" spray out there that any of you have used successfully or recommend??

I'll try the Woods silicone spray, but my question is, "How old are your shoes before they start to leak? Do you walk or ride? How many rounds have you played before they leak?"

The reason I'm asking, is it seems in the last couple years, the "waterproof" shoes I've been buying are anything but waterproof. I've returned the last two pairs of Callaway "waterproof" shoes I've bought within two months. I walk exclusively, and those pairs leaked as new. A pair of Callaways I bought in April leak, even after many attempts of self waterproofing. I can name others, in the last year or two, New Balance, and Etonics that leak horribly. Returned them. The New Balance were the worst. 200 yards from new, my feet were soaked in morning dew.

In years past, I'd buy one pair of golf shoes per year, either Footjoy or Callaway. Rotate them with older pairs, and almost never run into any leak problems. The shoes would be out of shape, when I threw them out, but mostly, no leakage. I'd walk over 100 rounds a year.

My theory is, golf is now an almost exclusively riding sport. Shoes just aren't made for the walker. They're made for the casual golfer, who rides and plays groomed, perfect courses, like the pros. Walkers, playing in early morning or wet conditions aren't a consideration.

A friend told me, that someone he knows works at a Golf Galaxy. Shoe returns are epidemic.

I'm seriously considering just buying a pair of hunting boots to walk the golf course.

Play well!

> @Wriggles said:

> > @SEP1006 said:

> > I have always ( and still do ) wear the Footjoy Icon Classics or Dry Joy Premiers. Of course they are waterproof or water resistant as they might say in the beginning when they are new. I take really good care of them and apply mink oil probably about once a month. They still look new but after a while my feet do get wet in the early morning rounds from all the dew on the course.

> >

> > So my question is this. Is there a "water proof" spray out there that any of you have used successfully or recommend??

>

> I'll try the Woods silicone spray, but my question is, "How old are your shoes before they start to leak? Do you walk or ride? How many rounds have you played before they leak?"

> The reason I'm asking, is it seems in the last couple years, the "waterproof" shoes I've been buying are anything but waterproof. I've returned the last two pairs of Callaway "waterproof" shoes I've bought within two months. I walk exclusively, and those pairs leaked as new. A pair of Callaways I bought in April leak, even after many attempts of self waterproofing. I can name others, in the last year or two, New Balance, and Etonics that leak horribly. Returned them. The New Balance were the worst. 200 yards from new, my feet were soaked in morning dew.

> In years past, I'd buy one pair of golf shoes per year, either Footjoy or Callaway. Rotate them with older pairs, and almost never run into any leak problems. The shoes would be out of shape, when I threw them out, but mostly, no leakage. I'd walk over 100 rounds a year.

> My theory is, golf is now an almost exclusively riding sport. Shoes just aren't made for the walker. They're made for the casual golfer, who rides and plays groomed, perfect courses, like the pros. Walkers, playing in early morning or wet conditions aren't a consideration.

> A friend told me, that someone he knows works at a Golf Galaxy. Shoe returns are epidemic.

> I'm seriously considering just buying a pair of hunting boots to walk the golf course.

> Play well!

I would guess the shoes start to leak through after about a month. I play 36 - 45 holes every Saturday and Sunday and then another 27 on Thursday after work. Do not walk and definitely ride. So if you walk you for sure are getting less from your shoes than me.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

> @Wriggles said:

> > @SEP1006 said:

> > I have always ( and still do ) wear the Footjoy Icon Classics or Dry Joy Premiers. Of course they are waterproof or water resistant as they might say in the beginning when they are new. I take really good care of them and apply mink oil probably about once a month. They still look new but after a while my feet do get wet in the early morning rounds from all the dew on the course.

> >

> > So my question is this. Is there a "water proof" spray out there that any of you have used successfully or recommend??

>

> I'll try the Woods silicone spray, but my question is, "How old are your shoes before they start to leak? Do you walk or ride? How many rounds have you played before they leak?"

> The reason I'm asking, is it seems in the last couple years, the "waterproof" shoes I've been buying are anything but waterproof. I've returned the last two pairs of Callaway "waterproof" shoes I've bought within two months. I walk exclusively, and those pairs leaked as new. A pair of Callaways I bought in April leak, even after many attempts of self waterproofing. I can name others, in the last year or two, New Balance, and Etonics that leak horribly. Returned them. The New Balance were the worst. 200 yards from new, my feet were soaked in morning dew.

> In years past, I'd buy one pair of golf shoes per year, either Footjoy or Callaway. Rotate them with older pairs, and almost never run into any leak problems. The shoes would be out of shape, when I threw them out, but mostly, no leakage. I'd walk over 100 rounds a year.

> My theory is, golf is now an almost exclusively riding sport. Shoes just aren't made for the walker. They're made for the casual golfer, who rides and plays groomed, perfect courses, like the pros. Walkers, playing in early morning or wet conditions aren't a consideration.

> A friend told me, that someone he knows works at a Golf Galaxy. Shoe returns are epidemic.

> I'm seriously considering just buying a pair of hunting boots to walk the golf course.

> Play well!

New Balance are absolutely the worst. I wear their sneakers all the time because I've got Fred Flintstone feet (9.5 XW), and they make one of the few decent wide-width shoes out there. Their golf shoes were very comfortable, but absolutely ZERO water resistance, even brand new.

I've been wearing Foot Joy Contour Fit shoes for the last three years, and have had zero problems with water. I've got a couple pairs that are beat up cosmetically but still functional at about 3 years old, and I save them for the worst rainy days when I don't want to be bothered having to get all the mud off. Still no problems with leakage. I play a LOT of golf, and split pretty evenly between walking and riding.

> @SEP1006 said:

> I have always ( and still do ) wear the Footjoy Icon Classics or Dry Joy Premiers. Of course they are waterproof or water resistant as they might say in the beginning when they are new. I take really good care of them and apply mink oil probably about once a month. They still look new but after a while my feet do get wet in the early morning rounds from all the dew on the course.

>

> So my question is this. Is there a "water proof" spray out there that any of you have used successfully or recommend??

The moistue seeped through the seems between the top and the sole. The bending and walking really is the cause for the moisture to seep through between the outer layer and the water resistent membrain.

Every pair of water proof golf shores I had owned will leak moisture after several years of use,

If you're going to try to improve the water resistent feature of your golf shores, try to concentrate at the koint seems bwtenn the top and the sole. From outside and the inside .

Outside I would use the 3M camping gear water proofinf spray ( made under several name brands ), coat the seem along the line between the top and the sole ( also the opening for the shoe lace ) and let dry and then repeat the process several times. COVER the light colored leather top to avoid color changing from the chamical. Not sure if you could do anything from the inside of the shoes.

If you want to keep these golf shoes, you can take them to a local shoe repair and ask if they would do the water proffing for you. Ask about the warranty, I'd assume at least one year.

> @wkuo3 said:

> > @SEP1006 said:

> >

>

> The moistue seeped through the seems between the top and the sole. The bending and walking really is the cause for the moisture to seep through between the outer layer and the water resistent membrain.

> Every pair of water proof golf shores I had owned will leak moisture after several years of use,

> If you're going to try to improve the water resistent feature of your golf shores, try to concentrate at the koint seems bwtenn the top and the sole. From outside and the inside .

> Outside I would use the 3M camping gear water proofinf spray ( made under several name brands ), coat the seem along the line between the top and the sole ( also the opening for the shoe lace ) and let dry and then repeat the process several times. COVER the light colored leather top to avoid color changing from the chamical. Not sure if you could do anything from the inside of the shoes.

> If you want to keep these golf shoes, you can take them to a local shoe repair and ask if they would do the water proffing for you. Ask about the warranty, I'd assume at least one year.

>

>

Yeh I figured that's where the moisture had to be getting in. A couple times a month I'll put a layer of Mink Oil in the seams the night before I play. I think it helps a little but not keeping all the moisture out for sure.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

> @SEP1006 said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> > > @SEP1006 said:

> > > I have always ( and still do ) wear the Footjoy Icon Classics or Dry Joy Premiers. Of course they are waterproof or water resistant as they might say in the beginning when they are new. I take really good care of them and apply mink oil probably about once a month. They still look new but after a while my feet do get wet in the early morning rounds from all the dew on the course.

> > >

> > > So my question is this. Is there a "water proof" spray out there that any of you have used successfully or recommend??

> >

> > The moistue seeped through the seems between the top and the sole. The bending and walking really is the cause for the moisture to seep through between the outer layer and the water resistent membrain.

> > Every pair of water proof golf shores I had owned will leak moisture after several years of use,

> > If you're going to try to improve the water resistent feature of your golf shores, try to concentrate at the koint seems bwtenn the top and the sole. From outside and the inside .

> > Outside I would use the 3M camping gear water proofinf spray ( made under several name brands ), coat the seem along the line between the top and the sole ( also the opening for the shoe lace ) and let dry and then repeat the process several times. COVER the light colored leather top to avoid color changing from the chamical. Not sure if you could do anything from the inside of the shoes.

> > If you want to keep these golf shoes, you can take them to a local shoe repair and ask if they would do the water proffing for you. Ask about the warranty, I'd assume at least one year.

> >

> >

>

> Yeh I figured that's where the moisture had to be getting in. A couple times a month I'll put a layer of Mink Oil in the seams the night before I play. I think it helps a little but not keeping all the moisture out for sure.

You'll need to clean up all the mink oil and dirt from that seem line and apply the 3M water proof.

Unfortunately, water proof shoes are not designed to withstand the punishment to footwork of a golf swing could deliver. why do you think the OEM only warranty the water resistence feature for 12 months ?

In the old days where leather soles are commonly used for golf shoes, the leather will swell up and expand when getting wet, and that will minimized the moisture from penitrating to the interior of the shoes. Still gets damp, but not wet.

I think there is a shoe store in Englon still makes customized golf shoes with leather ( stell spike or interchangeable with soft spikes ) . Pricy, I rememered looking it up online and it's like close to a thousands U.S. a pair. Well, it'll be 4 times the cost of a pair of commercial golf shoes, but if it could last a lifetime with proper care, and you don;t change you shoe size in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

I've never had any leaking problem with the top quality Footjoy models. What I've done for years is always buy my shoes two pair at a time. Thus I can rotate their usage. Prior to the first use on a course I treat the new shoes to a couple coats of Mink Oil. Rub in good particularly around the sole/upper junction. Let sit about an hour and wipe off. Repeat a second time and you are good to go. Repeat this once or twice a year depending on how much you walk. After each round wipe off the shoes with a damp towel. This gets rid of any harmful chemicals that can rot stitching (on good shoes) or eat away the glue (on cheaper models). Always store shoes after each round with good wooden shoe trees and never store for prolonged periods in your car.

I've had Dry Joys leak. I think it eventually happens to all water proof shoes despite how well they are taken care of....especially here in Oregon where we get lots of rain. I've tried some different water proofing sprays that work for the short term, but eventually the leak comes back. It's probably best just to buy new shoes when you know it's going to be wet and use the other when it's dry.

I've been using Dryjoys and more recently Icons for about 15 years and have never had a pair leak other than after a year + of usage. And when they start to break down they don't leak outright, you can just feel a little dampness coming through. Maybe all the stuff you are applying to the outers is damaging the waterproof features?

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

> @Nessism said:

> I've been using Dryjoys and more recently Icons for about 15 years and have never had a pair leak other than after a year + of usage. And when they start to break down they don't leak outright, you can just feel a little dampness coming through. Maybe all the stuff you are applying to the outers is damaging the waterproof features?

I probably explained it wrong as they don't actually leak. Just my socks are damp after 18 in the morning, kinda the same thing your experiencing. And I did buy some Kiwi waterproof spray on Amazon and applied it per the instructions. So far no issues and working great.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

I find that when I walk early morning with lots of dew, the water typically comes over the top where the laces are. Many brands(Eccos) have the tongue stitched to the sides of the shoe and it runs all the way up to the top of the shoe. The brands(Nike) that don't will leak through the top. I look for this feature when I make purchases. For the other parts of the shoes, I guess the spray will help.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus 6.0
3 Wood: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 13* Fujikura Motore F3 70-S
Hybrid: Ping Rapture v2 17*
Irons: Srixon 745 TT DG S300 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist 718 ap2 50* GW
Titleist SM6 54* M grind SW
Putter: Swag the Cooler