2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The New Master's Womens Amateur Championship

> @Almostscratchonce said:

> > @chris975d said:

> > > @ClintDagger said:

> > > My uncle goes to the Masters every year and usually is on the grounds from Monday on. He’s there today and he texted me that this is the poorest condition he can remember seeing ANGC. I admit that in just 30 minutes of watching this I’ve noticed more blemishes than I can recall in the past. I wonder if they are jamming too much into these few weeks.

> >

> > Having just returned from the event, I will say that my assistant and I were noticing the same things. More..."blemishes" if you will than I've noticed before at ANGC. Mind you, these same things wouldn't even be noticed or out of place on virtually any other golf course on the planet, but in 25+ visits to the course, there were a few uncharacteristic things I could "nit pick" if so inclined. And I only really noticed them because ANGC is stupidly perfect virtually every year, and I look at stuff like that every time I'm on the property because I run a golf course myself, and am just in awe of the precision with which they are able to maintain the course.

> >

> > That being said, this event was a home run. The atmosphere was much different (for me) than The Masters, in a good way...not that The Masters is ever bad. I love The Masters more than any other event by far, but this was such a different (and great) way to experience the course itself. Seeing players with skill levels closer to mine (but still could beat my pants off, I'm sure) playing ANGC from more relatable tees, smaller field, and what seemed to be a much more manageable gallery. Being able to walk each hole, without the sometimes overwhelming crowd, enjoying the course in what felt like a much more intimate way than during the men's event.

> >

> > After today, I do believe I'd much rather attend this event each year to experience Augusta National, and then enjoy the men's event on TV. In talking to quite a few patrons on the property, I heard several say something similar.

> >

> >

> Well said, Chris & I agree that the ANWA was probably my favorite experience that I've had there in a dozen or so visits. I haven't had a chance to watch the telecast yet (will get around to that this evening), but did notice a few of the blemishes you & Clint mentioned. Did you notice the newly-sodded circle between the new 5th tee and 4th green? Also, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on how that whole new area around 5 tee looked & felt. To me, it just didn't quite fit with the aesthetics of everything else on the property... still my favorite hole there, though.

>

#5 is the one hole we didn't walk actually. We went from the cart path below #4 tee over to the #6/#16 area, and then on along. So I didn't get to see that.

> @chris975d said:

> > @Almostscratchonce said:

> > > @chris975d said:

> > > > @ClintDagger said:

> > > > My uncle goes to the Masters every year and usually is on the grounds from Monday on. He’s there today and he texted me that this is the poorest condition he can remember seeing ANGC. I admit that in just 30 minutes of watching this I’ve noticed more blemishes than I can recall in the past. I wonder if they are jamming too much into these few weeks.

> > >

> > > Having just returned from the event, I will say that my assistant and I were noticing the same things. More..."blemishes" if you will than I've noticed before at ANGC. Mind you, these same things wouldn't even be noticed or out of place on virtually any other golf course on the planet, but in 25+ visits to the course, there were a few uncharacteristic things I could "nit pick" if so inclined. And I only really noticed them because ANGC is stupidly perfect virtually every year, and I look at stuff like that every time I'm on the property because I run a golf course myself, and am just in awe of the precision with which they are able to maintain the course.

> > >

> > > That being said, this event was a home run. The atmosphere was much different (for me) than The Masters, in a good way...not that The Masters is ever bad. I love The Masters more than any other event by far, but this was such a different (and great) way to experience the course itself. Seeing players with skill levels closer to mine (but still could beat my pants off, I'm sure) playing ANGC from more relatable tees, smaller field, and what seemed to be a much more manageable gallery. Being able to walk each hole, without the sometimes overwhelming crowd, enjoying the course in what felt like a much more intimate way than during the men's event.

> > >

> > > After today, I do believe I'd much rather attend this event each year to experience Augusta National, and then enjoy the men's event on TV. In talking to quite a few patrons on the property, I heard several say something similar.

> > >

> > >

> > Well said, Chris & I agree that the ANWA was probably my favorite experience that I've had there in a dozen or so visits. I haven't had a chance to watch the telecast yet (will get around to that this evening), but did notice a few of the blemishes you & Clint mentioned. Did you notice the newly-sodded circle between the new 5th tee and 4th green? Also, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on how that whole new area around 5 tee looked & felt. To me, it just didn't quite fit with the aesthetics of everything else on the property... still my favorite hole there, though.

> >

>

> #5 is the one hole we didn't walk actually. We went from the cart path below #4 tee over to the #6/#16 area, and then on along. So I didn't get to see that.

And I have no idea why the font went so large...

> @chris975d said:

> > @chris975d said:

> > > @Almostscratchonce said:

> > > > @chris975d said:

> > > > > @ClintDagger said:

> > > > > My uncle goes to the Masters every year and usually is on the grounds from Monday on. He’s there today and he texted me that this is the poorest condition he can remember seeing ANGC. I admit that in just 30 minutes of watching this I’ve noticed more blemishes than I can recall in the past. I wonder if they are jamming too much into these few weeks.

> > > >

> > > > Having just returned from the event, I will say that my assistant and I were noticing the same things. More..."blemishes" if you will than I've noticed before at ANGC. Mind you, these same things wouldn't even be noticed or out of place on virtually any other golf course on the planet, but in 25+ visits to the course, there were a few uncharacteristic things I could "nit pick" if so inclined. And I only really noticed them because ANGC is stupidly perfect virtually every year, and I look at stuff like that every time I'm on the property because I run a golf course myself, and am just in awe of the precision with which they are able to maintain the course.

> > > >

> > > > That being said, this event was a home run. The atmosphere was much different (for me) than The Masters, in a good way...not that The Masters is ever bad. I love The Masters more than any other event by far, but this was such a different (and great) way to experience the course itself. Seeing players with skill levels closer to mine (but still could beat my pants off, I'm sure) playing ANGC from more relatable tees, smaller field, and what seemed to be a much more manageable gallery. Being able to walk each hole, without the sometimes overwhelming crowd, enjoying the course in what felt like a much more intimate way than during the men's event.

> > > >

> > > > After today, I do believe I'd much rather attend this event each year to experience Augusta National, and then enjoy the men's event on TV. In talking to quite a few patrons on the property, I heard several say something similar.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > Well said, Chris & I agree that the ANWA was probably my favorite experience that I've had there in a dozen or so visits. I haven't had a chance to watch the telecast yet (will get around to that this evening), but did notice a few of the blemishes you & Clint mentioned. Did you notice the newly-sodded circle between the new 5th tee and 4th green? Also, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on how that whole new area around 5 tee looked & felt. To me, it just didn't quite fit with the aesthetics of everything else on the property... still my favorite hole there, though.

> > >

> >

> > #5 is the one hole we didn't walk actually. We went from the cart path below #4 tee over to the #6/#16 area, and then on along. So I didn't get to see that.

>

> And I have no idea why the font went so large...

We just assumed you were pumped about skipping the 5th hole ...

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Jennifer and Maria at the Late Night show

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZbCSCZDW3k](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZbCSCZDW3k "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZbCSCZDW3k")

[https://twitter.com/FallonTonight/status/1115471024273928195](https://twitter.com/FallonTonight/status/1115471024273928195 "https://twitter.com/FallonTonight/status/1115471024273928195")

• Like 1

I thought the final round was the best final round I've seen at Augusta since I don't know when. Granted, I'm talking about Fassi and Kupcho since no one else made a run. I DVR'd it and didn't get to watch until Monday night, after I had caught a glimpse of a winner's WITB spoiler here (my fault). But it was still suspenseful because I couldn't see a way Kupcho could make a run after she three-putted 10 and made weak putts at 11 and 12. But she blew away 13. The migraine explanation made a lot of sense as that blurry vision is my first symptom I need to grab a Goody's.

• Like 1

That was a great final round but I have to vent.

I really enjoy watching the ladies golf but seeing a bunch of them go on Twitter and rant about how they should have a tournament at Augusta is a big turn off. Instead of being excited for the you d ladies they are pulling the “what about me card.” You already have 15 majors ladies. Have some foresight and create your own Masters. Go to Cypress or Pine Needles (or Valley or whatever it is) or Pasatiempo; just go create your own special event. Augusta is not the only exclusive course, find one that buys in to what you are doing and embrace and for G0D’s sake stop being jealous of the young ladies who got to play there.

The LPGA already has its own Masters -- the ANA, which I still think of as the Dinah Shore. It's played at the same course each year, it's their first major, it draws a good crowd. There really isn't anything wrong with it. Granted, the course has that flat, almost Florida-like feel to it, but it's a good course with some interesting holes. I'm sure ANA isn't too thrilled with all this chatter and lust for a "better" major. Augusta National isn't going to host an LPGA event in the next 20-25 years, at least not regularly. Might they be willing to consider a Solheim Cup or something like that down the road? Maybe, but not very likely. Can't see them hosting a US Open or LPGA Championship -- it would mean being beholden to an outside organization, and ANGC doesn't do that. Cypress Point, no. Pine Valley, most definitely never -- just doesn't have the facilities for crowds. There are other courses in the desert that might be interested, though some are already in the mix for the Desert Classic and might not want another closure on the schedule. To further what mallrat said, if the LPGA is so desperate for some ultra exclusive course, they could always build one on their own. But in order to pay for it, they'd have to turn it into a TPC type deal and open it to the public, and then it wouldn't be exclusive anymore.

Maltby STw2 10* Tensei Orange Stiff 46.75"
TourSwing Octane 10.5*  TourSwing Vengeance  44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 16.5* 4 wood
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 19* 3 hybrid 
Bridgestone Access VP-02, 6-AW
Inazone EZ-PZ CNC wedge 52* & 60*
LogicalOne Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Both Jennifer Kupcho and Maria Fassi have qualified for 2019 US Women's Open to be held in Charleston, South Carolina. It allows them to play the tournament as LPGA members; and prizes they earn will count as official money.

Kupcho qualified by finishing first at Greensboro, North Carolina; and Fassi qualified by finishing first at Ocala, Florida.

Qualifying tournaments play 2 rounds in one day; it's a crapshoot and can't never be taken for granted.

[https://golfweek.com/2019/04/29/golf-jennifer-kupcho-maria-fassi-qualify-u-s-womens-open/](https://golfweek.com/2019/04/29/golf-jennifer-kupcho-maria-fassi-qualify-u-s-womens-open/ "https://golfweek.com/2019/04/29/golf-jennifer-kupcho-maria-fassi-qualify-u-s-womens-open/")

• 3 weeks later...

> @MountainGoat said:

> Prediction: Fassi will be successful as as pro; Kupcho will struggle.

Good prediction. I am with you on the latter half. I don't think either one of them will ever do much of anything on the Lpga. To both their credit though they were able to capture lightnin in a bottle there at the first ladies am at ANGC.

> @Enduro59 said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > Prediction: Fassi will be successful as as pro; Kupcho will struggle.

>

> Good prediction. I am with you on the latter half. I don't think either one of them will ever do much of anything on the Lpga. To both their credit though they were able to capture lightnin in a bottle there at the first ladies am at ANGC.

I've my sympathy for Jennifer Kupcho; can't think of a worse scenario to end both of her collegiate and amateur career.

LPGA is tough nut to crack; not many golfers can be Annika Sorenstam or Lorena Ochoa.

> @18majors said:

> > @Enduro59 said:

> > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > Prediction: Fassi will be successful as as pro; Kupcho will struggle.

> >

> > Good prediction. I am with you on the latter half. I don't think either one of them will ever do much of anything on the Lpga. To both their credit though they were able to capture lightnin in a bottle there at the first ladies am at ANGC.

>

> I've my sympathy for Jennifer Kupcho; can't think of a worse scenario to end both of her collegiate and amateur career.

> LPGA is tough nut to crack; not many golfers can be Annika Sorenstam or Lorena Ochoa.

But don't forget that the US collegiate golf system used to be the primary developmental system for the LPGA ... it's only in the last decade in which the collegiate system has been supplanted by the LET, KLPGA and the Symetra Tour. But your points about Annika and Lorena are very "salient" as they have that special skill!!?

• 4 months later...