2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Most Interesting Playing Partner You've Been Paired With

Graham Delaet. Humble brag as I grew up with him, playing hockey and golf together.

Always seem to get paired up with an oldtimer at least once or twice a year on an early morning round too. Always interesting to walk the course with someone from a different generation and get their perspective on things.

Another fun one that I had forgotten about.

Back when you used to be able to get free rounds from Golf Now I booked one of the free rounds at a pretty bad golf course. I showed up 2 other guys were paired up with me, both singles so no one new each other. They looked like I was gonna be in for a long day, one had jeans the other dressed like he just left a construction site, beat up old clubs in ratty bags. Neither had the appearance of being a regular golfer let alone a break 90 guy. Turns out my first impression was way wrong. Par 71 our 3 scores for the day was 71-72-73. I missed a birdie on 18 to shoot -1. The highlight of the day came on 17 a shortish par 4. One guy sprayed his drive way right. Me and the other guy were on the left side. Player one went first hit wedge to 3 feet. Player two is up next 5 yards behind me but has a clean look. He hit his shot to a foot. I was partially blocked out by a small tree and had to sling a draw gap wedge in from 110 to avoid the tree. Hit it perfect spun off the slope to a foot and a half. There was a group on the 10th tee above the 17th green and when we pulled up we got a standing ovation from them for all 3 shots being inside 4 feet. Ended up being really decent players and nice guys. To this day they are still the best random amateurs I have ever been randomly paired with.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I am sort of in same boat as DP. Have been paired up with several interesting people over the years.

• World War 2 pilot who told one liners on every green as we walked off. Was a great player, told some incredible stories about his war years, and was just an awesome person to be paired up with. I never would have guessed how much "fun" they had over in Europe. (Keeping it G rated)
  • A couple of pitchers on farm team for Detroit Tigers. Here in Lakeland they train almost all year long and I was joined up with these two young guns. Man did they hit the ball a mile. Awesome attitudes. Just a real pleasure to play with. (One tried mini tours but decided baseball was more to his liking)
  • A couple of members from GolfWrx (so far); both were absolutely awesome and I consider them both friends now above and beyond just playing some rounds together. Danny is a local and hits the ball a mile. We battle only because I have a short game. And Brian is just a nice guy who comes here to Florida now and then and was kind enough to invite me to join him on his course. Great conversation all day long and a nice relaxing day.
  • An up and coming LPGA Tour Pro - well sort of. Sierra Brooks is in college right now and is the daughter of a close friend. She is the most amazing young player I have ever met. Awesome attitude, incredible game, and very genuine. Playing with she and her Dad was just absolutely a lifelong memory. Both are very talented and my money is on Sierra making it to the big show after college if she chooses to do so.
  • A gent from Scotland who was visiting and joined my wife and I; brought his son along who was a great player but was very quiet. Didn't matter - the Dad was chatting the whole day, teaching me all about his native land, repeating things when I didn't understand him, and basically keeping all of us laughing. And then, at the end of a wonderful day of golf, he pops out a ball marker from "his home course" which happened to be the site of the Open Championship that year and handed it to my wife. "Remember me Lass. Enjoy this." I returned the favor by giving him my favorite Pluto ball marker from Disney that was one of the originals; his eyes actually lit up and he said he had wanted to get one while at Disney but had not stopped in a gift shop that had one. Just an incredible experience all the way around. (We had lunch together after the round and he was even funnier then asking for things on the menu that he thought should be there in any "proper establishment" - my wife drove home since I ended up partaking in some frosty adult beverages with my new friend before, during, and after lunch)

I have been very lucky indeed.

This is a great thread BTW. Awesome read thus far.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

My first round after moving back to Florida I was paired with a very nice gentleman that had retired the previous day. He was a local Circuit Court Judge. As a retired policeman we had a great time. I see him a few times a week still.

Play a money game a few days a week with a guy that was a fighter jet pilot in WWII. He's over 90 and still playing.

The money game isn't in Davenport is it? Played with an old guy a few years ago who flew jets.

Was much younger, and working at Breakers West GC in WPB, FL, many years ago.

Now, Breakers West, at that point in time, was really way west of the turnpike, and didn't get all that much play, altho, the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach, who owned it, would take hotel guests out there on a shuttle to play, if they didn't have a rental car.

One hotel guest, an older gentleman (I would hazard a guess of around 70 or so) was out playing for a couple of days, and came into the pro shop while he waited for the shuttle after his round, and we spoke for a bit.

He asked me about trying to join up to play with someone, but since there weren't a lot of golfers out there at the time (around this time of year)....I told him is wasn't easy, but that I was off tomorrow, and I would be more than happy to play 18 with him. He was delighted, and we had a great round. Found out his name was Mr. Kramer, and that he was an "art appraiser" from Switzerland.

During our round I found out that he was staying without his family with him, and I invited him to experience a 4th of July with my ex and I...you know, hamburgers and hot dogs grilled, home made potato salad, baked beans, watermelon....the great American 4th of July tradition....and, fireworks at dark.

He kindly thanked my, but asked instead if my (ex)wife and I would join him for dinner at the Breakers Hotel.

Now, I don't know if anyone here has ever been there, but it is a truly magnificent, Old World-type of hotel, with 5-star ratings, or 4 diamond rating from Mobil....pretty heady stuff however you rate it.

And, I needed "permission" from top management, since I was an employee of the Breakers, which, once they found out that a hotel guest had invited me, they happily agreed to.

Well...once my ex got over her "WOW" impression of arriving, and we sat down to a great 7 course dinner, with 19 different attendants, from the sommelier and his assistant, to the main servers, and various helpers, right to the 3 different dessert servers. What a great meal!!!!

I found out later that Mr. Kramer was THE LEADING authority on antique sculptures and art - regarded as the best in the world at the time - and, that the dinner, drinks, etc for dinner that night totaled over $900 for the 3 of us.

But, he was the most down to earth person, willling to listen as well as talk, and had a delightful time with us...but, unfortunately, wasn't able to ever attend our 4th of July celebration.

I wouldn't call him the "most interesting man"...but, he definitely would be in the top 5 in my book.

Cool story, thanks for posting it.

I played with a guy who had a stroke and lost the use of his left arm. A local TV station was there shooting a story on him that day. I played through reporter and him filming on the 8th hole. After the reporter left, we joined up on the back when we got stuck behind some foursomes. Here's the story.

http://www.komu.com/news/golfer-defies-odds-playing-with-one-arm/

I played with a guy who had a stroke and lost the use of his left arm. A local TV station was there shooting a story on him that day. I played through reporter and him filming on the 8th hole. After the reporter left we joined up on the back when we got stuck behind some foursomes. Here's the story.

http://www.komu.com/...g-with-one-arm/

If that doesn't inspire nothing will.

Thanks for sharing it.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Played with Kellen Winslow Sr in a local celebrity event hosted by Andre Reed.

Kellen was soft spoken and very intelligent, just a really nice guy. Good golfer, great swing. You really tell how great of an all around athlete he is by his effortless power.

[b]Driver: [/b][i]TBD[/i]
[b]Fairway:[/b] Taylormade Superfast 16.5*/Even Flow Blue
[b]Hybrid:[/b] Titleist 913H/Rogue Black
[b]Irons:[/b] Mizuno MP 59s
[b]Wedges:[/b] Titleist SM4 52/56/60
[b]Putter:[/b] [i]This area intentionally left blank [/i]

I heard this one on The Ticket in Dallas maybe 15 years ago. One of the morning guys had a son who played golf, and was in the shop getting ready to play. Emmit Smith comes in and asks about playing. The shop guy says he's sorry but the tee sheet is full but I'll do what I can. Smith, who certainly knew who the kid was, replied "it's ok here is my partner right here." So Smith and the kid played. When the kid told his Dad what happened, Dad asked how he played. He said something to the effect of "How do you think I played!? I was playing with Emmit Smith!"

Not me, but a great story.

My first round after moving back to Florida I was paired with a very nice gentleman that had retired the previous day. He was a local Circuit Court Judge. As a retired policeman we had a great time. I see him a few times a week still.

Play a money game a few days a week with a guy that was a fighter jet pilot in WWII. He's over 90 and still playing.

The money game isn't in Davenport is it? Played with an old guy a few years ago who flew jets.

Na, Lakeland

Great topic, and these stories are a reason I never hate to play as a single - one often gets the most interesting playing partners. A few of my favorites:

Joined a couple quite elderly men, and was a bit fearful I was in for a very slow round, but they played quick. Both were interesting, but the oldest, an English fellow, was fascinating. He flew de Havilland Mosquitos in WWII, and twice was shot down during night raids behind enemy lines, each time escaping capture thanks to French resistance fighters. He later served in UK government and had known Thatcher and other top officials. Fascinating insights and stories. Hard to argue with the phrase "The Greatest Generation" after meeting such a gentleman.

In Hawaii, I was paired with a guy who had served as a top aide to Goldwater, served in the Nixon administration, and then for Ford. Despite these affiliations he was quite moderate, and it was fascinating discussing how the fundamental business of politics has changed so dramatically since those days. It was one of those rounds I wish had lasted longer.

While on a business trip, I was paired with a guy in West Virginia with a guy who had a different folksy quip for every single shot from both of us, all along the lines of the old "That dog will hunt". Didn't matter the shot, he had a saying for it that left me chuckling through the whole round. Wish I'd written them down.

Alice Cooper. I've had the fun of playing with a number of famous people, but most of them weren't exceptionally interesting once you looked past their fame. Alice was different. He's very intelligent, well read, and just flat out interesting.

played a muni in the bay area, back 9 designed by Alister Mackenzie as a side note. Place draws from a wide range of society. Got paired up with a guy with long white hair, I think he wore jeans, a dirty old niners hat, etc. He was absolutely fascinating. He played there all the time. He kept pointing out all the random far off (miles away) objects to aim at that would have you cutting off chunks of doglegs. He would putt sidesaddle as well. I don't think he missed inside of 10 feet. I'm sure he shot in the 70s. On the few occasions I do go back to that course, I always remember him because I still use the same distant objects to aim at!

Another time I played there, got paired with a guy who had maybe the most consistent slice (can't call it a fade) I've ever seen, and he played it to the middle of the fairway almost every hole. It was incredible.

Great topic, and these stories are a reason I never hate to play as a single - one often gets the most interesting playing partners. A few of my favorites:

Joined a couple quite elderly men, and was a bit fearful I was in for a very slow round, but they played quick. Both were interesting, but the oldest, an English fellow, was fascinating. He flew de Havilland Mosquitos in WWII, and twice was shot down during night raids behind enemy lines, each time escaping capture thanks to French resistance fighters. He later served in UK government and had known Thatcher and other top officials. Fascinating insights and stories. Hard to argue with the phrase "The Greatest Generation" after meeting such a gentleman.

In Hawaii, I was paired with a guy who had served as a top aide to Goldwater, served in the Nixon administration, and then for Ford. Despite these affiliations he was quite moderate, and it was fascinating discussing how the fundamental business of politics has changed so dramatically since those days. It was one of those rounds I wish had lasted longer.

While on a business trip, I was paired with a guy in West Virginia with a guy who had a different folksy quip for every single shot from both of us, all along the lines of the old "That dog will hunt". Didn't matter the shot, he had a saying for it that left me chuckling through the whole round. Wish I'd written them down.

Alice Cooper. I've had the fun of playing with a number of famous people, but most of them weren't exceptionally interesting once you looked past their fame. Alice was different. He's very intelligent, well read, and just flat out interesting.

Very cool about alice cooper, there's rumor he's in town (MB, Canada) for a course pro that past away memorial tourney that is later today that I'll be taking part of. My old pro when I was a junior member, caddys for him or at least used to at the tournament's hed enter. Maybe I'll get to meet him today!

I played with 1975 US Open winner, Lou Graham, it was an amazing experience. He is 74 years old and struggled with distance as expected but his touch from 100 yards and in was unreal. He could read greens like he was still looking through a pair of 18 year old eyes and made almost every putt he took. I asked him about putting and he said that he never putts to get it close. He is gonna make it, whether it's 106 feet or 6 feet, if he misses its already close. CONFIDENCE that had me in awe...

I played with 1975 US Open winner, Lou Graham, it was an amazing experience. He is 74 years old and struggled with distance as expected but his touch from 100 yards and in was unreal. He could read greens like he was still looking through a pair of 18 year old eyes and made almost every putt he took. I asked him about putting and he said that he never putts to get it close. He is gonna make it, whether it's 106 feet or 6 feet, if he misses its already close. CONFIDENCE that had me in awe...

I played 9 holes with Lou Graham back in the 90s when I lived in Nashville. He was hitting balls next to me on the range at my club and we started chatting.

He was very fine gentleman and could flat out putt....adjusted my alignment for me.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

Went out on Christmas Eve a couple years ago as a single to a course up in the mountains. Got joined up with 3 guys on the tee.

First tee they hand me a big a** cigar. Well this is gonna be a fun round.

No lack of language the whole day. 5th or 6th hole one of them pulls a 5th of Jack out and we are all taking swigs.

About the 15th hole we all hit tee shots, the oldest guy looks at his watch and says s*** gotta go, jumps in the cart and speeds off.

I ask the other guys what the hell. Turns out he's the pastor at the local church and has to go get ready to say Christmas Eve mass lol.

• 3 months later...

played a muni in the bay area, back 9 designed by Alister Mackenzie as a side note. Place draws from a wide range of society. Got paired up with a guy with long white hair, I think he wore jeans, a dirty old niners hat, etc. He was absolutely fascinating. He played there all the time. He kept pointing out all the random far off (miles away) objects to aim at that would have you cutting off chunks of doglegs. He would putt sidesaddle as well. I don't think he missed inside of 10 feet. I'm sure he shot in the 70s. On the few occasions I do go back to that course, I always remember him because I still use the same distant objects to aim at!

Another time I played there, got paired with a guy who had maybe the most consistent slice (can't call it a fade) I've ever seen, and he played it to the middle of the fairway almost every hole. It was incredible.

From the sound of it, it seems like the course you're talking about is Sharp Park?

• 3 months later...

Full disclosure - neither of these stories are about me, but from friends of mine.

I used to coach and one of my players dad's, Dean became a golfing buddy. I thought I knew him well, but he said one day while we were warming up on the range one day 3-4 years after knowing him, "Did I ever tell you guys about the time I played Augusta?" I wear hearing aids and thought maybe I didn't hear him right, so I said, "Where?" He repeated it as Augusta National in Georgia where they play the Masters. So although I really liked Dean, I instantly became so jealous I now hated him! I would love and always will love to play this course, thus my dark side reared it's head it seemed right then and there. He filled in the details in that his next door neighbor growing up in Tyler, Texas had a son who was a groundskeeper threre and apparently could get his dad and another guest on the course 1x a year, so he tells us.

Dean was newly married and around 25 and NOT making much money, but of course how can you turn that down? His wife didn't want him to go citing the cost. Dean said, "I think I might have gotten a divorce if I had to, but I for sure was going." So they get there and stay at the son's apartment all ready for the next morning. What they didn't know, not even the son, is who would they get paired with. The son didn't play as Dean and his dad were the 2 guests he could get on, so there would be 2 more joining them. Well much to their surprise it went from great to even greater.

They get to the first tee and their playing partners are already there with their caddies, one tall the other slight and Dean, a sports fan, recognizes them but can't quite pinpoint it. Can't be football, they aren't big enough. Hockey, he didn't follow. Golfers, nope he would have known them. Basketball, well not to be politically incorrect but they were a 6 foot white skinny guy, and another 6 3' white guy so that didn't quite pop into his mind. It was Greg Maddux and John Smoltz, pitchers for the Atlanta Braves! Wow is right! Dean pitched at the University of Texas and a good athlete in his own right, would have for sure been drafted and played minor league ball, were it not for him blowing out his arm one fall day. It was the royalty of pitching at the time (early 90's) and these two were as good as there was (minus Tom Glavine).

They were normal guys, ribbing each other and occasionally Dean would pipe in with his folksy Texas accent to join in. He said they didn't talk about baseball once on their own, just responded to a couple questions he had. As a matter of fact they asked Dean and his golden ticket playing partner questions about themselves much of the round, including the story of how they all happen to meet at that day and time at the hallowed grounds of Augusta. Dean said Smoltz shot in the high 70's and Maddux around 80. Dean said he shot in the high 80's but loved every single shot he played. The round ended and things were simpler then, no instagram, facebook or even cell phones. They just thanked each other for a good round and wished each other the best. No trying to get dugout passes to the game, connections for future games or rounds of golf. Simple respect that we are all human beings and thank each other and move along with your life. Texas humility and respect for privacy. Dean is a great man and not surprised of the ending.

But I'm still jealous as hell!

OK next story is from my hometown of Joliet, Illinois where we are known for 2 things: Stateville Prison and the Blues Brothers (Joliet Jake). Well my dad worked at Innwood Golf Course for over 30 years (and still does part time) as it is seasonal in addition to his teaching job. A friend of the family, Mike tells me a story about a round he had at Innwood years ago. He says it was the early 90's and one fall day, he is playing with his 2 other buddies and there is one guy, a single that walks up and says can I join you guys? He says sure, so he introduces himself as Jim, and off they are as a foursome. Mike is a very nice, conservative guy and have no doubt they were just making small talk to make their 4th player feel welcome asking where he was from, he says Peoria, Illinois. Where did he go to college? Illinois Central College, which is a community college there in Peoria. A few holes later they ask what he does now and he says, "I play baseball."

Well Mike is a baseball player in HS and at a small college in Illinois, so he says my pulse is up because he says baseball. You don't say I play baseball, unless you really do play professional baseball, but is he a minor leaguer trying to impress his new friends, or a real big leaguer in disguise? He looks at the guy who is about 6'1 or 6'2 but built with large forearms. Mike says he has to be a catcher, first or third baseman. Although he is wondering in his mind he doesn't want to seem too awestruck and respects his privacy. It wasn't until the end of the round where he asks, "So who do you play for?" Jim just says the Cleveland Indians. So Mike asks the big league club and Jim quietly says, "Well I'm bouncing around the minors right now." Mike still doesn't recognize the guy, so he asks, "what is your last name?' He says, "Thome." Mike says, well I played baseball and never made the minors so I wish you all the luck and hope you make it to the big leagues and he would be cheering for him. Boy was he more right then he knew.

Now in the early 90's Thome was struggling a tad and had some injuries so I believe this is the time where Mike met him. It wasn't until 1994 that he played everyday for the Indians. Seeing as he just made the HOF this story popped into my mind. Humble beginnings and brush with greatness at Innwood Golf Course a Joliet Park District Course in Joliet, Illinois.

• 1 year later...

We recently got paired with two guys at Baylands Golf Links. I'm not much on commenting about someone, but this guy had to have been 6'8. So during the back 9, we started talking about sports. I asked if he played basketball and without giving out his name, he told me he played college hoops and was the first overall pick of the CBA draft. Whatever that is. But he also was signed by the Chicago Bulls and had to guard Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen during practices. People always make up crazy stories, but this guy was nice enough that I believed him, but I did Google him when I got home and there he was. His basketball card as the 1st overall CBA pick and it says he was on the Chicago Bulls.