2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Lighter TX Flex - Surprisingly Awesome

cardoustie

Having some great success late in the season with a couple of shafts ... and wanted to see if others have found the same and hopefully have other models to recommend

I am traditionally a soft flex X guy. I've dropped my driver weight from 95g 15 years ago WAAAAY down.

Almost 52, swinging 107-108. Cap from 1 to 3 this summer in mid-season. I can play S but haven't in a long time due to routine and old guy stubborn streak.

I broke my favorite shaft (Revenge 65X) and that led me to stumble upon a Oban Revenge 65 TX (06) flex on the bay. This is a great shaft with a solid kick and for me I like it when I make fade swings it actually fades and doesn't start left and then draw. I am pounding this thing and hitting fairways like pointing a lazer beam. Good times.

The other shaft I have grown to love is the RIP Phenom in 50 TX. Just a dead solid shaft that feels and performs well. Very stable for its weight, no surprise shots ever - like a wonky block or similar.

Not as kicky as the Revenge for me but still a keeper

Anyways, just wanted to share if it helps some players. I know the mantra is always to play softer but as a violent transition guy there can be exceptions in my experience

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I also have a transition on the quicker side. Never got the whole "play as soft a shaft...." however that goes. I've typically played the stiffest shafts that I can before they start to feel like rebar and/or result in negative impact to launch conditions. Less deflection in the shaft is just cutting down on a variable for me. A very noticeable kick or flexing of the shaft results in me feeling like I have to "time it" and it messes with my strike.

Just posted in another thread on iron shafts, same thing about fading it much more effectively with stiffer shaft. Agree with you there. As far as the lighter weight, you usually have to go stiffer in flex when you get that low in weight. I think the measured stiffness of the 50 TX versus the 70 X in the same shaft would be fairly similar. I've done the super heavy thing in the past in the woods and now go much lighter. 60 gram in the driver is fine as long as it's stiff and stable. I can do "more with less" for feel by messing with head weight versus using super heavy shafts.

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

short carries? lots of roll?

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

> @JJK947 said:

> I also have a transition on the quicker side. Never got the whole "play as soft a shaft...." however that goes. **I've typically played the stiffest shafts that I can before they start to feel like rebar and/or result in negative impact to launch conditions**. Less deflection in the shaft is just cutting down on a variable for me. A very noticeable kick or flexing of the shaft results in me feeling like I have to "time it" and it messes with my strike.

>

> Just posted in another thread on iron shafts, same thing about fading it much more effectively with stiffer shaft. Agree with you there. As far as the lighter weight, you usually have to go stiffer in flex when you get that low in weight. I think the measured stiffness of the 50 TX versus the 70 X in the same shaft would be fairly similar. I've done the super heavy thing in the past in the woods and now go much lighter. 60 gram in the driver is fine as long as it's stiff and stable. I can do "more with less" for feel by messing with head weight versus using super heavy shafts.

I love this. Totally agree. I think playing the stiffest you can tolerate will result in better dispersion, it always has for me anyway. I had been messing with PX 5.5 iron shafts for a while and they were good but I decided to try some AMT X100s after really liking the regular X100, just not in the 4 iron. Man, they have changed may game. I went from a 5.5 down to a 2.5 currently and I attribute it to GIR. Best success with driver shaft has been with a heavier stiff, the HZRDUS yellow 76g... still has great feel but control has been much better. I thought I'd give the X driver shaft experiment a whirl (I'm 41 with a smooth tempo, 103-105 driver SS) so I ordered an Aldila VS Proto 60X to try in the G400 Max I have... Worst case, I will just go back to my HZRDUS/M2 combo but I do believe the stiffest you can handle and launch results in more control... That is based on no real science, though.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

> @Nixhex524 said:

> > @JJK947 said:

> > I also have a transition on the quicker side. Never got the whole "play as soft a shaft...." however that goes. **I've typically played the stiffest shafts that I can before they start to feel like rebar and/or result in negative impact to launch conditions**. Less deflection in the shaft is just cutting down on a variable for me. A very noticeable kick or flexing of the shaft results in me feeling like I have to "time it" and it messes with my strike.

> >

> > Just posted in another thread on iron shafts, same thing about fading it much more effectively with stiffer shaft. Agree with you there. As far as the lighter weight, you usually have to go stiffer in flex when you get that low in weight. I think the measured stiffness of the 50 TX versus the 70 X in the same shaft would be fairly similar. I've done the super heavy thing in the past in the woods and now go much lighter. 60 gram in the driver is fine as long as it's stiff and stable. I can do "more with less" for feel by messing with head weight versus using super heavy shafts.

>

> I love this. Totally agree. I think playing the stiffest you can tolerate will result in better dispersion, it always has for me anyway. I had been messing with PX 5.5 iron shafts for a while and they were good but I decided to try some AMT X100s after really liking the regular X100, just not in the 4 iron. Man, they have changed may game. I went from a 5.5 down to a 2.5 currently and I attribute it to GIR. Best success with driver shaft has been with a heavier stiff, the HZRDUS yellow 76g... still has great feel but control has been much better. I thought I'd give the X driver shaft experiment a whirl (I'm 41 with a smooth tempo, 103-105 driver SS) so I ordered an Aldila VS Proto 60X to try in the G400 Max I have... Worst case, I will just go back to my HZRDUS/M2 combo but I do believe the stiffest you can handle and launch results in more control... That is based on no real science, though.

I'm in exactly the same camp, and swing somewhere between 104-108 somewhat smoothly. Also play the exact same shafts in my irons and I've never hit my irons as well as I have with these. Also play stiffer shafts than most would think I should, namely the Aldila X-Torsion Copper 60 TX in my driver, but they just work so well. I've always liked fairly stiff shafts in my woods to decrease dispersion and subconsciously need to swing quickly and efficiently (funny, I know).

OP: I had no idea Oban even made the Revenge in a TX!

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD DS72 34.5"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

> @Man_O_War said:

> short carries? lots of roll?

?

not sure what you mean by short carries? IMO the TX does carry just as far as my X ... I know from plug marks on the course last few weeks

Same roll out as other drivers though it has gotten soft here so have not used in firm conditions as of yet

EvnRoll ER9

Oddly enough I am working on softer shafts for my irons .. graphite of some sort experiment continues to roll onwards. Elbow relief needed STAT.

Less violent swing, downwards strike etc

Had my 919T's in tourney play last night, recoil 95 in them, and was SURPRISED !!

EvnRoll ER9

I don't get mixed up in flex whatsoever. I feel like there are plenty of S flex shafts out there that play firmer than X flex ones. Perfect example... I think an Aldila Rogue Silver 70s plays more stiff than an Aldila 2KXV 70X. The 2KXV felt like a noodle to me, while the 70S Rogue felt pretty stout.

I really hate flex designations and I like how Accra just says M3, M4, M5, etc. And honestly, when I got fit for driver last yr, I swung the Accra 465 M4 and M5 and I felt 0% difference between the two but I was hitting the M4 out to 320 but the M5 was terrible for me, even though my CHS was 115-117 during the fitting.

Same with my irons, I find weight and profile to be supremely more important than flex. If I were for whatever reason to stray from modus 120X, my next shaft of choice would actually be "s flex" $ Taper 120 shafts. To me they feel nice and allowed me to time the ball about as well as my modus.

• Like 1

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> I don't get mixed up in flex whatsoever. I feel like there are plenty of S flex shafts out there that play firmer than X flex ones. Perfect example... I think an Aldila Rogue Silver 70s plays more stiff than an Aldila 2KXV 70X. The 2KXV felt like a noodle to me, while the 70S Rogue felt pretty stout.

>

> I really hate flex designations and I like how Accra just says M3, M4, M5, etc. And honestly, when I got fit for driver last yr, I swung the Accra 465 M4 and M5 and I felt 0% difference between the two but I was hitting the M4 out to 320 but the M5 was terrible for me, even though my CHS was 115-117 during the fitting.

>

> Same with my irons, I find weight and profile to be supremely more important than flex. If I were for whatever reason to stray from modus 120X, my next shaft of choice would actually be "s flex" $ Taper 120 shafts. To me they feel nice and allowed me to time the ball about as well as my modus.

agreed

Which is what I am saying, don't be afraid of X and TX ... lots of versions aren't rebar

EvnRoll ER9

The Kuro Kage XD 60 TX is a similar shaft. I'm similar to you, 108ish, and a quick transition and this shaft works great. Bought it from TollBros on this site and he claimed it was a shaft that could be smooth for slower swingers, but could take anything you could throw at it. I agree. I also tried the Rogue 130 TX and it seems a bit stout for me.

• Like 1

Cally AI Smoke TD 9 Ventus Black 6x
Sim 16.5 Ventus Black 7x
Titeist TSi3 18 Hybrid GD Tour AD IZ 85x
Srixon ZX7 Mkii 4-PW DG TI 120 X100
Vokey SM9 50/54/60
TM Spider X Tour Stability Shaft

ProV1

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> I don't get mixed up in flex whatsoever. I feel like there are plenty of S flex shafts out there that play firmer than X flex ones. Perfect example... I think an Aldila Rogue Silver 70s plays more stiff than an Aldila 2KXV 70X. The 2KXV felt like a noodle to me, while the 70S Rogue felt pretty stout.

>

> I really hate flex designations and I like how Accra just says M3, M4, M5, etc. And honestly, when I got fit for driver last yr, I swung the Accra 465 M4 and M5 and I felt 0% difference between the two but I was hitting the M4 out to 320 but the M5 was terrible for me, even though my CHS was 115-117 during the fitting.

>

> Same with my irons, I find weight and profile to be supremely more important than flex. If I were for whatever reason to stray from modus 120X, my next shaft of choice would actually be "s flex" $ Taper 120 shafts. To me they feel nice and allowed me to time the ball about as well as my modus.

Good points. But accras method still amounts to R S X, just listed differently.

My biggest advice to shaft hos or new ones is stop excessively tipping new shaft models. Especially low launch stiff tip ones.

I went straight in many builds lately and seen better on course results and playable clubs when it’s cold too and/or not swinging well.

• Like 1

Agree on the tipping comment

EvnRoll ER9

> @cardoustie said:

> Agree on the tipping comment

If you call MCA and Aldila now, they tell you sometimes you may not even need to tip the shaft to play in a 3w, and that standard tipping is now only .5'' for 3w and .75'' for a 5w. I find that I like my wood shafts to play a hint softer any because when I use them to hit distances to greens which maybe are a few yards under my normally carry, I may swing just a little slower and the extra tipping makes some shafts feel harsh when I do that.

I've had a few 75g shafts I put straight into a 3w with no tipping at all and had no problems.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @cardoustie said:

> > Agree on the tipping comment

>

> If you call MCA and Aldila now, they tell you sometimes you may not even need to tip the shaft to play in a 3w, and that standard tipping is now only .5'' for 3w and .75'' for a 5w. I find that I like my wood shafts to play a hint softer any because when I use them to hit distances to greens which maybe are a few yards under my normally carry, I may swing just a little slower and the extra tipping makes some shafts feel harsh when I do that.

>

> I've had a few 75g shafts I put straight into a 3w with no tipping at all and had no problems.

Same for me

Best fwy shaft for me ever is nvs85x untipped

EvnRoll ER9