2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Best Players Irons '19

drvrwdge

Sorry if this have been covered before but yesterday in a charity event my partner and I won overall and much to our surprise to the victor went the spoils, $1k GC to the pro shop so needless to say I'm on the hunt for new sticks. I've been a loyal Ping guy for ever but I'm thinking of straying. Partly because I want to get back to a forged iron and also because well why not?? So was wondering what everyone is thinking about some of the offerings this year and from late last year. Tell me which and why.

Stay Tuned...

My question is, why do you think forged matters? Most of the LPGA that are Ping staffers are in i200/210 and they seem to shoot pretty low. Just food for thought. If it's "Feel" your after, that's totally subjective person to person. My Ping Glide wedges are cast but are the sofest wedges I've ever played, and that's including the old Callaway forged wedges. I find that sound and feel are very linked.

Anyway, out of your list, if you're just trying to burn $$, I'd pick Z785's or T100's. There's a lot missing on your list so I assume this is because your shop only offers these. If not, don't forget sets like 919 Tour, P760 and Apex Pro.

Just kind of a preference. Honestly I feel the iBlades when hit sold are every bit as solid as a forged iron, I won’t say as soft per say because I think the feel is different. Not necessarily better or worse. I did forget the 919T’s but I couldn’t edit the poll entrants. Not really a TM guy and the I like the Apex Pros but would have to be the dot heads. The 360 cup face is a little hot and clicky for my liking.

Honestly just trying to get some different opinions on what people are playing.

Stay Tuned...

> @drvrwdge said:

> Just kind of a preference. Honestly I feel the iBlades when hit sold are every bit as solid as a forged iron, I won’t say as soft per say because I think the feel is different. Not necessarily better or worse. I did forget the 919T’s but I couldn’t edit the poll entrants. Not really a TM guy and the I like the Apex Pros but would have to be the dot heads. The 360 cup face is a little hot and clicky for my liking.

>

> Honestly just trying to get some different opinions on what people are playing.

I'd probably say the 919's are the best out of all of them as far as the combo of looks, performance, etc go. I hear you on the Apex/760's.... the whole putting foams and whatever material inside a player's head is an odd choice if you ask me. You probably won't be finding the tour issue dot heads in your pro shop either. I can't speak to T100 though really, I've yet to hit them. I really really liked Z785's and was fit for them last year but I ended up getting 770's because I found a deal I couldn't pass up on eBay.

I'm in the hunt for a new set of players irons as well. TM is releasing a new players iron next spring, callaway as well. Other than that it's the t100, mizuno mp20 mcc or 919 tour. Also, ping is releasing a new iblade replacement but sounds like you want forged. Personally, I would wait until spring to make a decision and see the new offerings.

> @Redjeep83 said:

> I'm in the hunt for a new set of players irons as well. TM is releasing a new players iron next spring, callaway as well. Other than that it's the t100, mizuno mp20 mcc or 919 tour. Also, ping is releasing a new iblade replacement but sounds like you want forged. Personally, I would wait until spring to make a decision and see the new offerings.

I’m hearing mixed reports on the new iblade. Some say it’s coming some say it’s not. And everyone knows a guy ha

Stay Tuned...

Bumping this as I am interested in getting some new irons myself. Am looking for a little more forgiveness than my current JPX 900 tours

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

> @jjmurry said:

> Bumping this as I am interested in getting some new irons myself. Am looking for a little more forgiveness than my current JPX 900 tours

My choices would be 785 if you tend to spin it a lot or T100/AP2 if you need a bit more spin/height.

> @drvrwdge said:

> Sorry if this have been covered before but yesterday in a charity event my partner and I won overall and much to our surprise to the victor went the spoils, $1k GC to the pro shop so needless to say I'm on the hunt for new sticks. I've been a loyal Ping guy for ever but I'm thinking of straying. Partly because I want to get back to a forged iron and also because well why not?? So was wondering what everyone is thinking about some of the offerings this year and from late last year. Tell me which and why.

I was just shopping for new irons yesterday and looked at the following

MP-20 HMB / MMC - Both were amazing. HMB looked better at address

T100/CB/T200 - all were really nice. the CB is absolutely sick.

TM P790. Looks better than I thought

Srixon 785 - Best looking club at address and one of the best manufacturers.

For the money you are spending, I feel forged is the better product. Cast is great as well, but over the long haul, cast wears out faster.

Performance is everything so go hit them all. Let us know what you purchase because I am in the same boat and need some help!!

• Like 1

So i actually bought a set of z785's off of eBay yesterday because it was a deal to good to pass up but I am not 100% sure on the shafts. Got the 4-PW 785, 4 and 5 of the 585 and a 20* u85 all +3/4" which is my spec. Shafts are KBS tour though which I have tended to spin too much in the past but some swing changes and the fact that everyone says these heads spin less then most got me thinking its worth a try. If they work guess I can spend the $$ on something else and if I like the heads I can just sell the set and get fitted for the shaft I want.

Stay Tuned...

> @drvrwdge said:

> Just kind of a preference. Honestly I feel the iBlades when hit sold are every bit as solid as a forged iron, I won’t say as soft per say because I think the feel is different. Not necessarily better or worse. I did forget the 919T’s but I couldn’t edit the poll entrants. Not really a TM guy and the I like the Apex Pros but would have to be the dot heads. The 360 cup face is a little hot and clicky for my liking.

>

> Honestly just trying to get some different opinions on what people are playing.

If I weren't a Mizuno loyalist, I'd be gaming the Srixon.

Just put Z785 4-PW in the bag a week and a half ago.

Fabulous sticks. The V-sole is the real deal for me.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

> @balls_deep said:

> > @jjmurry said:

> > Bumping this as I am interested in getting some new irons myself. Am looking for a little more forgiveness than my current JPX 900 tours

>

> My choices would be 785 if you tend to spin it a lot or T100/AP2 if you need a bit more spin/height.

Well... I am naturally a higher spin guy (hence the ctapers), but have made some improvements with my ball striking and now have a low ball flight and lower spin. That being said the 785's look awesome and I'm hoping my fitter that I'm seeing on Monday has them. Otherwise I have a feeling I will end up in T100's. I've convinced myself that I need my equipment to help me as much as I can so I'm willing to try something more forgiving despite a fairly low handicap.

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

On that list I would look at the MP20 MMC for sure and also the 785. I would rank those as slightly more forgiving, though I have not hit the T100.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

... When I started doing Best Of reviews from the PGA show over 15 years ago it was pretty easy to pick out the Best New driver, wood and iron. Starting abut 5 years ago that line was blurred and in 2019 it just doesn't exist. OEMs are all making such great irons and it comes down to personal preference. Give me 50 WRX golfers of varying indexes that use Players Irons and hand them Cobra Forged Tour, T100, Apex, Apex Pro, P760, P790, TW 737, MP20 MMC, Z 785 and i210 and you will have all of them choosing different irons. Some more popular than others but they would all be chosen.

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

> @tsecor said:

> > @drvrwdge said:

> > Sorry if this have been covered before but yesterday in a charity event my partner and I won overall and much to our surprise to the victor went the spoils, $1k GC to the pro shop so needless to say I'm on the hunt for new sticks. I've been a loyal Ping guy for ever but I'm thinking of straying. Partly because I want to get back to a forged iron and also because well why not?? So was wondering what everyone is thinking about some of the offerings this year and from late last year. Tell me which and why.

>

> I was just shopping for new irons yesterday and looked at the following

>

> MP-20 HMB / MMC - Both were amazing. HMB looked better at address

> T100/CB/T200 - all were really nice. the CB is absolutely sick.

> TM P790. Looks better than I thought

> Srixon 785 - Best looking club at address and one of the best manufacturers.

>

> For the money you are spending, I feel forged is the better product. Cast is great as well, but over the long haul, cast wears out faster.

> Performance is everything so go hit them all. Let us know what you purchase because I am in the same boat and need some help!!

What about the HMB did you think looked better at address than the MMC?

Curious

I tried all the new iron releases as I am in the market to replace my Mizuno MP60s (TT DG S300).

After hours of search, different shaft and head combinations I am going to go with Titleist T100 with Project X 6.0.

Historically I never liked Titleist irons and was always a Mizuno iron player but this year the feel and performance in T100 won me over...

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

> @aquapig said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > > @drvrwdge said:

> > > Sorry if this have been covered before but yesterday in a charity event my partner and I won overall and much to our surprise to the victor went the spoils, $1k GC to the pro shop so needless to say I'm on the hunt for new sticks. I've been a loyal Ping guy for ever but I'm thinking of straying. Partly because I want to get back to a forged iron and also because well why not?? So was wondering what everyone is thinking about some of the offerings this year and from late last year. Tell me which and why.

> >

> > I was just shopping for new irons yesterday and looked at the following

> >

> > MP-20 HMB / MMC - Both were amazing. HMB looked better at address

> > T100/CB/T200 - all were really nice. the CB is absolutely sick.

> > TM P790. Looks better than I thought

> > Srixon 785 - Best looking club at address and one of the best manufacturers.

> >

> > For the money you are spending, I feel forged is the better product. Cast is great as well, but over the long haul, cast wears out faster.

> > Performance is everything so go hit them all. Let us know what you purchase because I am in the same boat and need some help!!

>

> What about the HMB did you think looked better at address than the MMC?

>

> Curious

yes. For my eye, the HMB was the 2nd best next to the srixon. Then the MMC, CB, T100 all were the same. all beautiful, but the srixon and HMB stood out

Z785's are my vote. Yes I do play them, I can play anything I want. Between feel , forgiveness and the way they go through the turf, all a tough combo to beat. I'm not saying they are the best, but hard to believe there is anything much better.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, MMT 105S

Cleveland RTX 6, 60 mid, Tour Rack Raw,Nippon Modus wedge 115

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

> @tsecor said:

> > @aquapig said:

> > > @tsecor said:

> > > > @drvrwdge said:

> > > > Sorry if this have been covered before but yesterday in a charity event my partner and I won overall and much to our surprise to the victor went the spoils, $1k GC to the pro shop so needless to say I'm on the hunt for new sticks. I've been a loyal Ping guy for ever but I'm thinking of straying. Partly because I want to get back to a forged iron and also because well why not?? So was wondering what everyone is thinking about some of the offerings this year and from late last year. Tell me which and why.

> > >

> > > I was just shopping for new irons yesterday and looked at the following

> > >

> > > MP-20 HMB / MMC - Both were amazing. HMB looked better at address

> > > T100/CB/T200 - all were really nice. the CB is absolutely sick.

> > > TM P790. Looks better than I thought

> > > Srixon 785 - Best looking club at address and one of the best manufacturers.

> > >

> > > For the money you are spending, I feel forged is the better product. Cast is great as well, but over the long haul, cast wears out faster.

> > > Performance is everything so go hit them all. Let us know what you purchase because I am in the same boat and need some help!!

> >

> > What about the HMB did you think looked better at address than the MMC?

> >

> > Curious

>

> yes. For my eye, the HMB was the 2nd best next to the srixon. Then the MMC, CB, T100 all were the same. all beautiful, but the srixon and HMB stood out

I get that you liked the look better at address. Wondering WHAT you liked about the HMB at address over the MMC?

I went ahead and played a round with the 785s I just picked up even though I did not think the shaft would fit me and all I can say is wow

Typically an X 100 guy but I found a deal on eBay I could not pass up with a KBS tour 130s. Didn’t think I’d get along with them But they are damn near perfect. Flight and span is optimal and they are about as straight but they are damn near perfect. Flight and span is optimal and they are about as straight as anything I’ve ever hit. Feel is beyond exceptional. Still would like to try them in the $taper though. Mainly because of the Mainly because of the PVD finish

Stay Tuned...

Most irons these days are really so similar in the same category it's hard to go wrong with one of the top manufacturers. It comes down to what fits your eye and feels the best to you only. T100's have been fantastic for me so far I love the profile, feel, and launch/spin. Lot of Srixon love on this site but I'm not a fan. JPX 919 Tour and Forged are both excellent as well for players and players distance.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI Black Onyx X100

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 54.10 S - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

JPX 919 Tour or Forged would be my choice as well. Don't overlook the Titleist T200 its an excellent iron. Great looks, uber forgiving and great feel. Works as long as you can work your wedge config around the 43 deg PW.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag