Main reason to play blades?

Comments

• tsecortsecor Loading........ Members  4780WRX Points: 531Posts: 4,780 Titanium Tees

I think it was a tongue and cheek moment but around here you see a TON of people talking like that. >

On -, @JDMRN81 said:

On -, @tsecor said:

"I play blades to p-iss off the people who hate when 10+ HDCP play blades" that's a quote from a buddy of mine

Are there really that many people who care what another person plays? I’ve never once heard anyone on the course say anything negative about the equipment someone is playing.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • manima1manima1 ChicagoMembers  807WRX Points: 156Handicap: 8.8Posts: 807 Golden Tee

Where does a compact muscle-cavity iron like a Srixon 745 fall?

While certainly not a blade in appearance, I find the feel to be on par with that of a blade. Similar distance control as well. Perhaps because it's not a true cavity but more of a muscle cavity?

Posted:
    M5 9.0->7.5 - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx 
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-PW - S400
    SM6 50.08F Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S Raw
    SM7 60.12D Tour Chrome
    TM Spider X - Navy
  • Popeye64Popeye64 Members  1122WRX Points: 270Handicap: .2Posts: 1,122 Platinum Tees

Most people these days are playing a mixed bag so the **** blades can go up to 8 or a 7 iron and have little or no ill effect on a non perfect swing. Then the set blends into some sort of CB. Only the very brave a playing a ful bag of blades.
    So the question should be why are you playing a full set of blades.

Posted:
  • uglandeuglande Members  430WRX Points: 299Posts: 430 Greens

I'm not playing them at the moment -- went with P790s for the effortless power -- but I will always be tempted by blades for three reasons: 1) feel, 2) consistency (you get what you put in; there are no surprises), and, MOST importantly 3) low offset. I feel much more confident over a blade with no offset than with a chunky and forgiving SGI iron with a huge offset.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3  1W / 3W / 5W  (Hzrdus Yellow HC)
    Mizuno MP-20 HMB  2I / 4I (Nippon Modus3 Tour 120)
    Mizuno MP-20 MB  5I - PW (Nippon Modus3 Tour 120)
    Titleist SM8  53-11 / 58-08 (Nippon Modus3 Tour 120)
    Titleist Special Select Flowback 5.5 | ProV1x #68
  • NickcNickc Members  190WRX Points: 59Posts: 190 Fairways

I hit cb's just as bad as blades!
    I first tried golf in the late 1960's (a couple of years as a young teenager) and then a big gap until about 2015.
    My clubs in the 60's were an almost half set of Slazenger Ambassadors (4,6,7,9 & 2w + 5w & Dunlop putter).
    When I restarted bought some cheap (discounted) cavity backs from decathlon - were OK but then saw some secondhand Mp 32's - so learnt to swing these as felt they were more like "proper" clubs.
    Still have my Ambassadors & plan to give them a go sometime.

Posted:
  • BearQBearQ Members  3667WRX Points: 855Posts: 3,667 Titanium Tees

My main reasons will match many:

I play a modern blade aka slightly longer blade length + tungsten in 4-7 irons

Low offset. This is the main key. Too many players CBs are still too high in offset

I don’t need to try to hit irons further or higher. Blades keep me in check with my swing almost subconsciously. I like the aggressive off the tee + controlled old school irons combo.

I worked my way slowly up to blades, I didn’t start with them. Grooving a repeatable iron swing with variety, with blades...my iron game is set up nicely for the future when I do actually need the help

Lastly, I don’t see real world improvement using the ‘help’. Only in long irons a bit with forgiveness.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ZigzogZigzog Members  273WRX Points: 95Handicap: +2.8Posts: 273 Greens

I like to hit consistent distances with my clubs, have pretty much always played blades as they give me this.

I have tried cavity backs, but generally I don't really don't like the look of them behind that ball - I like the sharp leading edge and tiny top line.

I do like my Srixon 745s, they are good but a bit chunky - my MBs are a better look for me.

I also tried some of the more modern clubs, but to be honest they just go to far - I don't want to hit my 7 iron 200 yards.

Posted:
  • wdunlap16wdunlap16 Validating - Unconfirmed, Members  3WRX Points: 6Posts: 3 Starters

Mizuno MP68 user here (lefty...) - Best game improvement clubs i've owned. Went from a 15 handicap at the time of purchase to low single digit within a year or so. My opinion as to why? They don't hide anything.. they don't mask your flaws and force you to improve. How are you going to know what a good swing vs. bad swing feels like when you traditional "high handicap" irons produce a similar shot type? That's my take anyway.. if you don't really want to get better and just want quick results blades are not for you... if you actually want to improve and are willing to put in the work to do so they are the best and only thing you should be swinging.

Posted:
  • wdunlap16wdunlap16 Validating - Unconfirmed, Members  3WRX Points: 6Posts: 3 Starters

Mizuno MP68 user here (lefty...) - Best game improvement clubs i've owned. Went from a 15 handicap at the time of purchase to low single digit within a year or so. My opinion as to why? They don't hide anything.. they don't mask your flaws and force you to improve. How are you going to know what a good swing vs. bad swing feels like when you traditional "high handicap" irons produce a similar shot type? That's my take anyway.. if you don't really want to get better and just want quick results blades are not for you... if you actually want to improve and are willing to put in the work to do so they are the best and only thing you should be swinging.

Posted:

Posted:
  • BleederFadeBleederFade Members  242WRX Points: 68Handicap: +0.3Posts: 242 Fairways

Cause they feel nice and look pretty ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5 - Kuro Kage XT 70TX
    Titleist 917 F2 16.5 - Diamana W 80X
    Titleist 718 T-MB 2 - Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
    Mizuno MP18 4 - PW - TTDG X100
    Vokey SM7 52.12 F, 56.14 F - TTDG S400
    Taylormade HiToe 60 - TTDG S400
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Advertisement
  • hypergolfhypergolf Members  1270WRX Points: 92Posts: 1,270 Platinum Tees

Only 3 reasons to play blades from my observation:

1. You are really good player who can handle blades.
    2. You want to feel like you are a tour player (when in fact you are not) but just enjoy the feel of owning and playing with blades.
    3. You are taking lessons and you are hopeful that one day you can actually play the blades you own and not wanting to spend more money changing clubs in the future.
    Posted:
  • herbert7890herbert7890 San AntonioMembers  355WRX Points: 218Handicap: 3.4Posts: 355 Greens

On -, @hypergolf said:

2. You want to feel like you are a tour player (when in fact you are not) but just enjoy the feel of owning and playing with blades.
    3. You are taking lessons and you are hopeful that one day you can actually play the blades you own and not wanting to spend more money changing clubs in the future.

You forgot mine, which is that I actually strike and play better with blades (and smaller clubs in general), including longer distance due to no ballooning from blades vs GI.

Posted:

TaylorMade SIM Driver (set to 7.5 Degrees)
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3-Wood
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL Irons
    Callaway MD5 Jaws 50 Degrees
    Vokey Custom SM8 (56 and 60)
    Scotty Cameron Special Select 2020 Newport 2

• GrizpharmGrizpharm ClubWRX  522WRX Points: 81Handicap: 3Posts: 522 ClubWRX

To impress the cart girl

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue w/ Diamana DF 60TX<br />Cobra king Ltd 3 wood w/ tensei pro blue 70s<br />Cobra king utility black<br />Srixon z785 w/ Nippon modus 120s 4-p<br
  • 2Down2Down Members  312WRX Points: 130Handicap: 4.4Posts: 312 Greens

Been playing for quite awhile. I started with my moms patty berg, the first irons I purchased were Wilson staffs. Went through ram tour grinds ( a favorite) and have tried several super improvement irons through the years with the last ones being G20s. I have never played better with the supe game improvement stuff. Played ok but was always trying to keep em down a bit, hit these towering shots that were pretty but hard to play in a wind. currently playing MP5

Posted:
    Ping G410+ tensi orange s
    Cobra F8+ 3-4 15°  Aldila NV 2KXV 75 Green w/Cobra smart grip
    Adams 9031 18° Mitsubishi diamana
    Adams 9031 23° Mitsubishi diamana 
    Ping Ie1 5-U DG S300
    Ping glide stealth 54° es grind
    Ping glide 2 58°. ES
    Ping anser f titanium pixel.  

Advertisement
  • Ben BerubeBen Berube Benny B Members  3165WRX Points: 480Handicap: 5Posts: 3,165 Titanium Tees

Nothing easier in rough than blades. Even a CB can be litle too long heel-toe.
    I am 40 and what I was introduced too in the bucket of clubs at the local range.
    I did play CB’s for many years but blades these days are so much easier than years past.
    When you want to control the ball and have that perfect look, nothing better.
    It also is a chllenge to play blades. The feel and confidence they bring.
    Suprinsgly easy to hit as they force more focus and attention.
    So many cool options and really just made from pure forging process allowing a connection with this game.
    Raw blades and CB’s is hands down the best way to go.

Posted:
    WITB
    - TI M3 - 10.5 w/ Haz Black or KK Proto 60s
    - TI SLDR Mini 16* w/ Tp6HD  & TI Sldr Mini 14*w/ PX 7c3
    - CBX 18* and 20* w/ Haz Yellow - 910 17-19* w Diamana
    - Srixon z945’s w/s400 
    - Tour Issue Cleveland CG10 54-60
    -Putters  - VLine Tank wrist lock / Tank 1 Versa wrist lock / TC VLine WHP
    Testing - Everything and Anything to try and improve. Golf is all what you make of it. 

***** TRADES?????*******
  • DavidvDavidv Members  1122WRX Points: 286Posts: 1,122 Platinum Tees

They certainly look good in your bag whether you can flush them or not.

Posted:
  • MikepaulMikepaul Members  558WRX Points: 74Posts: 558 Golden Tee

It is my personal opinion that modern blades (2010 onwards) are easier to hit as their COG is higher in the mid to longer irons.

reasons to play blades

• consistency of flight and distance, optimal for those who flush every strike
    • turf interaction with a late release
    • high head speed that produces a high launch (where Cavity back irons would produce moon balls)

For some the product not the outcome creates happiness. Hence if blades make you happy play them.

To help the European tour (and Rory), I think they should make all the pros play blades like Rory (joke!), and ban forgiving cavity back clubs.

Posted:
  • mwilkins25mwilkins25 NYCMembers  142WRX Points: 28Handicap: 10Posts: 142 Fairways

I just bought mixed set of MP20s with blades for 7-PW. I did it bc I found the lower offset was better for my game so I was getting much tighter dispersion and ball speed was only 1-2mph lower vs the MCC. I was very hesitant to get them but it was hard to argue with trackman.

Posted:

Cobra F9 9* Tour AD DI 6S
    Cobra F9 15* Fujikura Pro 2.0 7S
    Irons: MP20 $taper (3,4 HMB; 5,6 MMC; 7-PW MB)
    RTX4 50*, 54*, 58* DG300
    Evenroll ER5B / Newport 3

• AlohaJoeAlohaJoe Members  70WRX Points: 33Posts: 70 Bunkers

Because I don’t want technology hiding my mistakes.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • C_radC_rad QuebecMembers  2765WRX Points: 132Handicap: 7Posts: 2,765 Titanium Tees

I would honestly like to tried a few rounds with a blade set. Love my cb. But i am too cheap to buy two set of irons!!!

Posted:
    Titleist 915 d2
    Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

project x L.Z 5.5:
    Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
    Nike engage 52 square,
    56 toe sweep
    60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag
  • toadstyletoadstyle Members  108WRX Points: 52Posts: 108 Fairways

The simple reason I play blades is because when I started, it was by far the cheapest option on clubs that were quality, barely used, and I liked the looks of.

Posted:
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members  13038WRX Points: 4,018Handicap: 5.0Posts: 13,038 Titanium Tees

On -, @balls_deep said:

I love blades. I'm tinkering with starting to build a bit. Just epoxied up a couple Srixon z945 irons to try out.

Have had three shocker rounds in a row. The first one I was swinging pretty terribly for the whole first half of the round - mostly due to over swinging. I calmed down and started hitting one more club and knocking my shots down. Was hitting darts with my MBs. The best part is the spin control. Yesterday I hit a wild tee shot and was under a tree but had a bit of room to get the ball out. It was 165 with wind slightly down and off the right. Green has a mammoth bunker in front, and forest on the left. Pin is back left. I'm in the right side of the fairway. Pretty much worst case scenario given how shallow the green is. I hit a trap cut up against the wind with my 8i MB - couldn't see the shot take off because of the tree but it felt pure - duck out from behind the tree and see my ball dead stop 5 feet from the pin. No joke that shot would be nearly impossible with a CB. It was exactly what blades are made for. Shot 10 over and that one shot made the round feel good.

Trap cut love it---- My standard stock shot-- comes from fighting a rope hook in my early golfing years. Something no one has brought up and you already know. For me at least it is easier to trap the ball with a thin soled butter knife than it is with a thicker rounded soled CB.

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana
    FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R
    Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts
    SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400
    LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft
    Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

• defyphysicsdefyphysics San Diego, CAMembers  24WRX Points: 63Posts: 24 Bunkers

MB vs CB is like analog vs digital, manual vs auto transmission car, some people just prefer the feel of a certain way more than the performance. I play MB for feel and feedback.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX  5447WRX Points: 1,153Posts: 5,447 ClubWRX

On -, @hypergolf said:

Perimeter weighted irons create a larger sweet spot so a swing can be off a bit and the results still produce good results (distance and accuracy). This puts less premium of grooving a swing. There are some of us who believe a well honed swing is a better answer to playing good golf. The problem is that this requires an excellent foundation of good technique and fundamentals, time to work on the swing, and playing time. For me I have always played better with blades compared to the many perimeter weighted irons I have tried. I simply don't play better with "forgiving" irons. As stated before, the 1999 Ben Hogan Apex blades are some of the most forgiving blades I have ever gamed. At least that is my perception of these irons.

Posted:
    TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5* driver, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    TaylorMade M4 15* (small), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
    TaylorMade SLDR 2I Hybrid, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
    Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 50* GW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 54* SW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 58* LW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan custom Epic Day putter

• RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX  5447WRX Points: 1,153Posts: 5,447 ClubWRX

On -, @BIG STU said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

I love blades. I'm tinkering with starting to build a bit. Just epoxied up a couple Srixon z945 irons to try out.

Have had three shocker rounds in a row. The first one I was swinging pretty terribly for the whole first half of the round - mostly due to over swinging. I calmed down and started hitting one more club and knocking my shots down. Was hitting darts with my MBs. The best part is the spin control. Yesterday I hit a wild tee shot and was under a tree but had a bit of room to get the ball out. It was 165 with wind slightly down and off the right. Green has a mammoth bunker in front, and forest on the left. Pin is back left. I'm in the right side of the fairway. Pretty much worst case scenario given how shallow the green is. I hit a trap cut up against the wind with my 8i MB - couldn't see the shot take off because of the tree but it felt pure - duck out from behind the tree and see my ball dead stop 5 feet from the pin. No joke that shot would be nearly impossible with a CB. It was exactly what blades are made for. Shot 10 over and that one shot made the round feel good.

Trap cut love it---- My standard stock shot-- comes from fighting a rope hook in my early golfing years. Something no one has brought up and you already know. For me at least it is easier to trap the ball with a thin soled butter knife than it is with a thicker rounded soled CB.

Stu, sounds like you and Ben Hogan are twins! :D

I agree with Stu, a thinner sole seems to work better when working the ball. At times a "straight" shot isn't going to work and a blade is easier to get the ball to draw or fade. My experience is that perimeter weighted irons tend to fly strait even when I am trying to draw or fade the flight of the ball.

Posted:
    TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5* driver, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    TaylorMade M4 15* (small), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
    TaylorMade SLDR 2I Hybrid, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
    Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 50* GW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 54* SW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 58* LW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan custom Epic Day putter

Advertisement
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2586WRX Points: 1,634Handicap: 5Posts: 2,586 Titanium Tees

On -, @chisag said:

On -, @RobotDoctor said:

Perimeter weighted irons create a larger sweet spot so a swing can be off a bit and the results still produce good results (distance and accuracy). This puts less premium of grooving a swing. There are some of us who believe a well honed swing is a better answer to playing good golf. The problem is that this requires an excellent foundation of good technique and fundamentals, time to work on the swing, and playing time.

... YOU put less premium on grooving a swing, the iron has nothing to do with it. People that make their living on Pro Tours playing golf, play forgiving irons and none of them are any less serious about their swing and ball contact. I have MB's I play for fun but my serious golf is with forged CB's and I put no more or less concentration on making the very best swing I can make regardless of what club I am using. Your milage obviously varies, but don't blame the club.

You are consistently the most sane person in these blade vs CB sh*tshows. There is legitimate science in ballspeed retention on miss hits with a CB. I really don't know how anybody on this forum that knows/cares about golf could deny that. You also lose MOI (purposefully) with blades yet people say you don't lose directional forgiveness. You can't have it both ways. I played in 30mph wind on Sunday and Monday. Had a memorable shot that works well for this debate. I had strong wind into and off the left, super wide green and pin tucked left corner, bunker in the middle and massive knuckle straight in the center of the green - basically, you don't want to miss right. 145 into the flag and the shot was definitely a knocked down low penetrating draw/almost hook into the pin. Everything was perfect with the setup, path, swing, etc, but I caught the ball ever-so-slightly out the toe side and the face opened a touch. Hit the green on the far right side and got my distance perfect but had an awful putt. Was lucky to judge my speed well and walked off with par but flat out that shot with a CB is closer to the flag. Not an issue, I'll keep playing blades in my scoring clubs because of how many shots I DO pull off with them but if you are painting the face good luck.

Also, the idea that you're going to have a better golf swing because you have to using blades is a very small-minded argument in my mind. Go look at the GIR stats from 150 and out and tell me how many of those players are using CBs. Don't tell me it's money - they'll play whatever they think it going to help them win. Some play blades, others play CBs. They're ALL working on their swings and believe me, I don't think the CBs are holding them back.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.